mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Helmet light weight?

I purchased a Fenix BTR-20 planning to use it as a helmet light. I thought I'd mount the lamp and battery both to the helmet. The lamp and battery sizes allowed such an installation. Problem is just walking around I felt like I had a brick on my head. Read somewhere the Fenix weighs 380g. So is there a cut point for how much weight feels ok on top of your head? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I purchased a Fenix BTR-20 planning to use it as a helmet light. I thought I'd mount the lamp and battery both to the helmet. The lamp and battery sizes allowed such an installation. Problem is just walking around I felt like I had a brick on my head. Read somewhere the Fenix weighs 380g. So is there a cut point for how much weight feels ok on top of your head? Thanks.
    There is a cut-off point but it is different for every rider. Usually I have no problems mounting just the lamp to the helmet but on occasion some lamps are too heavy. Once you mount the lamp mounting the battery to the helmet ups the ante. Usually if I try to mount even a two cell battery I have problems. The only "confined helmet", setup ( lamp/battery together ) I ever use is a an Ultrafire 501-B torch. Other than that I will mount the dedicated bike lamp to the helmet and put the battery inside my hydration pack and use an extension wire.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My neck is usually tired after a couple hours of riding without the weight of a light on the helmet. I sure do not want the weight of a battery added to the helmet so I carry it in my jersey or jacket pocket. Current favorite helmet light is ~60 grams. Pretty much can't tell it is up there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I also use an Ultrafire 502b flashlight, modded to make 800 lumens. When I tried it on my Fox helmet, the location of the top vent was more forward so the weight of the light was not well balanced on top and felt really heavy even before riding. Luckily my Giro helmet has a center vent on top, it was perfectly balanced. 502b w/ battery is 170g. Velcro strips keep it solidly in place no jitter. I also use a lanyard just in case.