mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Which helmet light to supplement Magic Shine 808e for night riding

Just ordered a Magic Shine 808e with wide angle lens that I plan to run mounted on my bar.

I was looking into a supplemental light, but thought another 808e would be overkill (and expensive).

Ideally I'd like to stay under $50 for the second light, and the Magic Shine 838B, which is 400lumens, and right under $50, which fits the bill. I plan to use the helmet mount without a wide angle lens, and would like to see what you think.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm using an older magicshine (not sure of the model, but advertised 900 lumens) and added an Ultrafire torch. I actually have another light+motion light, but I got super tired of having to deal with two battery packs. So, a torch that takes just one li-ion battery not much bigger than a AA has been sweet.

I can't post links yet, but you can search on amazon for the model I'm using:
    Ultrafire WF 501b Cree Xml T6 3 Mode Cree Led Flashlight 900 Lumens

But you can also get one with a zoom lens (I've seen them on ebay).

I usually have my magicshine on high and the torch on medium, as high feels like overkill for me. I bought my battery and charger via ebay and have had zero problems. Search for: New XTAR Sanyo 2600mAh 18650 18700 Rechargeable Lithium Battery Cell and XTAR charger

On medium, I've had one fully charged battery last 2 hours, but I'm going to buy another one to have a backup.

I put the torch on my helmet with this mount via amazon (Search for: Bicycle Flashlight Torch Light Bike Holder Mount Strap Sports Universal Led Grip)

Just put it around the light and then attach it to a standard helmet mount (like the one you get with a magicshine). You can also try to wrap it around the helmet itself, but it's steadier (if taller) to attach it to a standard helmet mount.

All of this together cost me about $50. It's been holding up much better in the cold than my magicshine, FWIW (in terms of keeping a charge). I wish I had found this setup before I spent tons of money on other light configurations that were a pain in the @$$.

mtbr member
    The MS 808e actually makes a pretty decent helmet light. You could switch it from your bar to your helmet, and run one of the (sub-$50) eBay 3XML T6 clones on your bar, such as the ones discussed here.