mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Helmet Light Replacement Needed

There have been many new entries in the light market since I stopped paying attention a few years ago when I started working from home. I now have a 34 mile round trip commute and it will be in the dark next month. I currently have a Philips Saferide dynamo light mounted to the headtube that is supplemented by an MS clone on the handlebars. I also have a 6-7 year old home brew light mounted to my helmet that I purchased used about 3 years ago. The helmet light has started to act up and I want to replace it.

I need the light to be compatible with MS batteries because I already have lots of charger and batteries and do not want to mess around with one offs when charging at work and home. I also would like a small form factor for the light. Output is less important, I think most of the new lights would be fine. I ride in dark rural areas but also in the downtown of a very large city. Battery life would preferably be at least 2 hours but I have lots of batteries so I am not as concerned about that either.

I do have a few favorites but would prefer not to mention them as I do not want to prejudice any recommendations. I appreciate any input as I consider many on this forum to be light experts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Maximus XXI,, I own both the Gemini Xera and Duo. Both very small profile and very good output. They are both compatible with the MS battery's although if I remember correctly I read there was some inconsistency's with the green/amber/red led display on the lamp heads due to a slight difference in voltage between the Gemini/MS battery's. The Xera was measured last year at 697lumens and the Duo at a shade under 1100lumens. Keep in mind that both lights use optics, not reflectors so there may not be as much range but in my opinion a smoother delivery of lumens with no hot spot. There are several others such as all the MS stuff but cant comment as the only other lights I have are the Lupines. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got an updated MS clone a while ago. It's got the latest XML led, I'm assuming your older light is a P7. Comes with a 4 X 18650 battery pack good for over 3 hours on high. Don't know if you can order just the head since you already have batteries. Been happy with it's performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=MLeZhBw3cjI