mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Heavier Guage MagicShine Style Extension Cables

In post #323 of the SolarStorm X2 thread, Kir noted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Battery indicators are not useless, but they will show estimated battery capacity ONLY when light is turned off.
    When its turned on you'll get huge voltage drop because Chinese batteries/wires are crap. Batteries can't handle stable voltage under load and wires are too long and too thin.
    I had also been looking at threads in the DIY Lights forum about wire gauges people are using in custom builds and mods.

What is the gauge of the wire in the standard MS cable? Are the cords from some suppliers better than others?

Has anyone found a supplier of MS style extension cables that use a heavier gauge wire? Since these are a standard 5.5x2.1mm DC connectors, we might be able to find heavier gauge extension cables outside of the bike light arena.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have extension cables by magicshine, gemini, and gloworm. The magicshine cable is about 3 mm thick and the gemini/gloworm are about 2 mm. I'm not sure if this answers your question. I'm guessing the internals are similar.

The Gloworm cable says 22 AWG 80 degrees C.
    Last edited by derekbob; 10-29-2013 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'd like better cables too, though more for breakage reasons than electrical performance. The cables in my Magicshine from Dec. 2009 broke about every two weeks, though it was perhaps a tougher application (mostly running, with cables to a battery pack in my jacket or waist with more cable flexing from bouncing up and down). My Gemini Xeras from 2 years ago have lasted much longer. My Xera had no evidence of cable issues when it was stolen last week, but I just noticed that my girlfriend's Xera's cable on the headlamp is coming apart at the connector at the too-stiff strain relief, though the wires are intact for now. I can check the wire gauges for the Geminis and original Magicshine when I get back home.

I guess I'm more interested in performance of the sheath and wire against breakage in the cold (I'm in Alaska) and from flexing and with better strain relief than specific gauges. My bad experience with the Magicshine cables kept me from buying another one, so I have no idea if the current ones are better. That experience also made me hesitate to buy the Xeras with similar looking cables (I was thinking of going Lupine Piko at the time, with their much larger cables), but I was persuaded by the one year warranty and Chris Lai saying that they hadn't noticed issues with cables. I ordered the new Gemini Duo last week to replace my stolen Xera over a Yinding Duo clone with unknown cable quality in large part because I didn't want to deal with breaking cables.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you go the Gemini lights website, select view all products, and go to the 6-cell battery, you can read 22 AWG on the cable in the photo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The remains of my (2009) Magicshine 808 cables are also 22 AWG and the same diameter as the Gemini cables, but the manufacterer and sheath material are different .