mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Has anyone used this head mounted light?

So I crashed my bike last week and ended up breaking a rib. Since it was at night, my wife is keen on my having a headlight. For any of y'all married up folks out there, you can well appreciate the importance of domestic tranquility.

I already have a plenty bright [IR/green selectable] strobe on the top my helmet to indicate my position for others, particularly the ones in vehicles that weigh 20-30 times as much as me and also go much faster.

The headlight that I am looking hard at is the Princton Tec Remix Pro MPLS.

It seems to have decent illumination and battery life combination, as well as being compatible with the NVG mount on my helmet, and it uses CR123-type batteries that I already carry spares of on my bikes and in my packs.

I don't tend to go particularly fast, so range is not a huge consideration.

I am thinking white/white LEDs as I already have a QD IR available over the left ear for when using I^2, and typically have a red lens light readily accessible for night adapted vision preservation.
    '94 Trek 950 w/RS Judy 19.5"
    '15 Spec SJ FSR Comp 20.5"
    '15 SE OM Flyer 15"
    WTB '79-80 Redline Proline frame & fork w/5" head

One Gear

Has anyone used this head mounted light?

No where near enough light. Keep looking in this forum and read about the more powerful lights. I use those for hiking and camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    With choices like the Yinding, SolarStorm X3, SolarStorm XT40, KD 2 (current favourites) or some of the older choices, any of them would cost less than the Princton, as well as providing 10-20 times more light. They also have rechargeable batteries, as opposed to the roughly $5 a pop CR123A.

A tactile headlamp is really only useful for close in work (like reading a map), or walking.

A real bike light will serve you much better. You need to see far enough ahead to give you time to avoid obstacles. (I'm guessing hitting one of those caused the accident, resulting in the spousal unit decree.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions; I'll look into those.

The night riding that I do is very benign in the form of along the canals behind our home or on the neighborhood MUP, both of which are pretty wide open. I am also fairly accustomed to activity at night without white light either without or with NV.

Most of my having a white light for cycling is to pacify my wife, and I could use it for other things. Since I buy CR123's in bulk [typically 12 dozen at a time], good quality ones are only a little over $1 each. My thermal eats a pair of them in about 4-5 hours of continuous use, and it would get fairly expensive to feed it and some of my other devices at retail battery pricing.

The crash occurred avoiding pedestrians on the MUP. Normally they see me coming from a long ways away, so we both have time to react, but the battery in my strobe had gone dead and I didn't realize it since it is on the top of my helmet to provide omnidirectional visibility. I am a little cautious that a 1000+ lumen lamp on my bike might blind approaching pedestrians [or those walking in the same direction as me when they turn around to look] and might be considered discourteous. A lower power device would provide redundancy to my strobe without being overbearing. It is mostly about signaling others rather than a need for me to be able to see better.
    '94 Trek 950 w/RS Judy 19.5"
    '15 Spec SJ FSR Comp 20.5"
    '15 SE OM Flyer 15"
    WTB '79-80 Redline Proline frame & fork w/5" head

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Listen to Ian_C. The lights he described are way better they what you are looking at. They all have a low mode, which won't blind pedestrian too much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you want a good light to be seen by I really like my Cateye Volt 100. Under $30 on Amazon, USB rechargeable, small and lightweight.

On low it's probably between 75-100 lumens which won't blind anyone but they will see you coming. On high I'd put it around 150 lumens, which isn't super bright but it does have a fairly tight beam pattern so you can get some "to see" light in a pinch.

I personally pair mine with a brighter light when I commute, but for what you are describing it might be a good option.