Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Has anyone received their GeoMan recall replacement batteries yet?

If so, when did you originally buy your light, and what was your PIN number?

mtbr member
    From yesterday in another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    We doubt the first batch would have reached customers yet, they were processed on Tuesday and it's only Thursday.

I'm hoping* I'm in that group.
    I'd like to know as well when people start recieving them so... BUMP^
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shuffles
    If so, when did you originally buy your light, and what was your PIN number?
    Just got my recall letter in the mail. 19,000 lights recalled I hear so it might be a while?

mtbr member
    Anyone know if GM posted how many lights went out in the first batch? Just curious.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    I wanna Ride, I wanna Ride, I wanna Ride…
    At Night.

Looking every day on the porch for my present from GeoMan.

Ben
    Looking for that perfect trail…again…and…again…and…again…

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE4Me
    I wanna Ride, I wanna Ride, I wanna Ride…
    At Night.

Looking every day on the porch for my present from GeoMan.

Ben
    Me too. Hoping to do a bikepacking trip soon, and would like to have my Magicshines along instead of just my basic 1W backpacking lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Your Light and Motion would have been ready to go!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeg
    Your Light and Motion would have been ready to go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    still waiting... taps foot.

I sent my letter in the day after I received it too...

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Missing another night ride tonight...

Ben

surly inbred
    My defective batteries were accepted at casa de Geo on April 23rd. No sign of replacements yet.

mtbr member
    ttt

banned
    Jun 2007
    Form completed and returned on 4/22. Nothing yet, not even a reply to an email sent last week. Patience is a virtue, while ignorance is unforgiven. Did not like sending to a PO Box where confirmed mail delivery was +/- $11.

GeoMan
    Claims are being processed and replacements have already started shipping out. We have received over 5,000 claims in the first month, so the Recall Admin Firm is processing daily and we are shipping replacements. Apologies if we missed your email, there are hundreds coming in daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin'W
    Form completed and returned on 4/22. Nothing yet, not even a reply to an email sent last week. Patience is a virtue, while ignorance is unforgiven. Did not like sending to a PO Box where confirmed mail delivery was +/- $11.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

banned
    Jun 2007
    GM,
    Appreciate your prompt reply. Didn't intend to be DB-ish, and guess that my 3 round bout with the return process shined on through.
    [Round 1 Printer down - it won. 0-1
    Round 2 Local RS unaware of battery recycling 0-2
    Round 3 No tracking # to a PO Box - for you. 0-3
    -----
    Thanks,
    FW

GeoMan
    No worries, many folks probably had the same first issue, eg started a claim at home and then realized they couldn't print it, so then they redid the claim at work where they had a working printer. Unfortunately for us this generated duplicate claims, about 600 so far, we are cross-checking as we proceed but it has definitely complicated things. Thanks for persisting with your claim, we are working on processing as many as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin'W
    GM,
    Appreciate your prompt reply. Didn't intend to be DB-ish, and guess that my 3 round bout with the return process shined on through.
    [Round 1 Printer down - it won. 0-1
    Round 2 Local RS unaware of battery recycling 0-2
    Round 3 No tracking # to a PO Box - for you. 0-3
    -----
    Thanks,
    FW
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member

Hi GeoMan,

How many of the 5000 have you processed so far?
    How many per month do you expect to process?
    Are you processing First in First out?
    Thanks for all the work you are doing and looking forward to getting the new lights as soon as possible.

Ben

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I sent mine in a week ago and I would have been amazed to have a replacement by now.

You people are optimists. That's another word for "disappointed."

mtbr member
    .....Unfortunately for us this generated duplicate claims, about 600 so far, we are cross-checking as we proceed but it has definitely complicated things. Thanks for persisting with your claim, we are working on processing as many as we can.
    Not to mention I bet you're getting e-mails from people trying to get a free battery who never even bought from you! Anyway, good luck with the return stuff and thanks for caring enough to take on such a task.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got mine yesterday. Charged her up and ready to go. Now just need some warm weather so I don't have to bundle up and look like the Michelin Tire guy riding my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS
    I sent mine in a week ago and I would have been amazed to have a replacement by now.

You people are optimists. That's another word for "disappointed."
    It's only been 3 weeks since I turned mine in... Getting Anxious.

Ben

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck
    I got mine yesterday. Charged her up and ready to go. Now just need some warm weather so I don't have to bundle up and look like the Michelin Tire guy riding my bike.
    Great news. So when did you originally purchase your light, and what was your PIN?

mtbr member

Good job!

I don't care when you bought your lights or what your PIN number is. I'm just glad that people are starting to get them. Waiting patiently (w/ an extra battery to ride w/ )
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

since 4/10/2009
    That's good. Hopefully not a ton of people sent their claims in before me.

GeoMan
    Thanks Cat, you are right on the money, we are getting approx 1000 emails a week, many are from customers who purchased from DX that want us to replace theirs as well. We have gotten the outgoing shipment process underway in the last few weeks it's going to take a while to catch up since there has been such a huge response. Our recall admin firm has not had such a quick response to any of their previous projects, they are amazed at the level of enthusiasm our customers have shown to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Not to mention I bet you're getting e-mails from people trying to get a free battery who never even bought from you! Anyway, good luck with the return stuff and thanks for caring enough to take on such a task.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Candlestick Maker
    No worries, many folks probably had the same first issue, eg started a claim at home and then realized they couldn't print it, so then they redid the claim at work where they had a working printer. Unfortunately for us this generated duplicate claims, about 600 so far, we are cross-checking as we proceed but it has definitely complicated things. Thanks for persisting with your claim, we are working on processing as many as we can.
    I totally did this (kids used up all my printer ink, unbeknownst to me). Sorry to have increased your workload!

I have batteries from DX that I can use until my Geoman replacements arrive, so no huge rush for mine.

Thanks for taking care of your customers!
    baker

GeoMan
    Thanks for the support, we completely understand these extra claims were accidental and we'll keep working on processing claims and shipping out replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by baker
    I totally did this (kids used up all my printer ink, unbeknownst to me). Sorry to have increased your workload!

I have batteries from DX that I can use until my Geoman replacements arrive, so no huge rush for mine.

Thanks for taking care of your customers!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Is there a way to check status on my claim? I sent in my battery a month ago. Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just received my replacement lights today. Far better quality and mounting system IMO.

I sent my info and recycled my batteries within 2 days of receiving the recall letter.

I now have my replacement batteries 1 month after everything was sent in.

GeoMan
    Hi guys

For the moment the file we receive from the Recall Admin folks doesn't include status login as it was designed to be as streamlined as possible, this is not like our integrated ordering system. Many claims are in the process at the Recall Admin Firm, we have received over 5,000 claims in the first month. We are receiving 1000 emails per week so we are dividing ourselves between responses, the recall process and new sales. The batteries are arriving in 2 days in most cases when we ship them with Priority Mail, all we request is a little patience so we can concentrate on the large task at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Is there a way to check status on my claim? I sent in my battery a month ago. Thanks in advance...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    mailed my batteries in 4/19 and still waiting. i am encouraged that some have received their replacements.

mtbr member
    I've bought two magicshine lights in the past two years from Geoman, do I need to do anything to be included in the recall process? I have yet to see any paperwork or any emails from geoman. I assumed I would just get two new batteries in the mail.....

I have been following his recall timeline on his website here and there, but I'm guilty of not checking the recall details daily or weekly.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    You might have received the recall letter and threw it away It kind of looked like junkmail.
    I know If I was not looking for it everyday my wife would have thrown it away.
    Send Geoman a email via his site he will take care of you just don't expect them to get back to you overnight they sound swamped right now.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

It ain't easy being Green
    It's here! It's here!
    Nice looking package, hard plastic case very similar to NR. It's on the charger now and just in time, I have night race coming up!

Thanks Geo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    You might have received the recall letter and threw it away It kind of looked like junkmail.
    I know If I was not looking for it everyday my wife would have thrown it away.
    Send Geoman a email via his site he will take care of you just don't expect them to get back to you overnight they sound swamped right now.

Thanks rak!

The wife said she never saw anything like that come through the mail.

I'll ping Geoman and see whats up.

I ordered lights from him in October 2009, and then again in March 2010.

mtbr member
    Got my replacement battery today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    I've bought two magicshine lights in the past two years from Geoman, do I need to do anything to be included in the recall process? I have yet to see any paperwork or any emails from geoman. I assumed I would just get two new batteries in the mail.....

I have been following his recall timeline on his website here and there, but I'm guilty of not checking the recall details daily or weekly.
    You need to "prove" you've gotten rid of the old batteries. Either by sending the old ones in, or taking them to a local recycler who will then sign a form that I believe GM will send you if you contact him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic

Where were your original lights posted too, were they sent to a previous employment place, and you have changed jobs, this is one possiblity. Luckily my ex employer is happy to send stuff on to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    You need to "prove" you've gotten rid of the old batteries. Either by sending the old ones in, or taking them to a local recycler who will then sign a form that I believe GM will send you if you contact him.

I bought them both from Geoman and had them shipped to the front door of the house I currently live in.

I've never had any paperwork sent here giving me instructions to send anything in or I would have done so promptly.

I'll email him (Geo) now with my order confirmation numbers to hopefully get this ball rolling.

p.s.- We pay for and have a recycling program at my work. ie, all types of batteries, all types of light bulbs and light ballasts, and of course, paper, plastics, metals, ect. ( I still have my old MS batteries and will be happy to send them off where ever Geo wants.)

**Edit: Email sent to Geo with all info. thanks for the help guys-
    Last edited by bpnic; 05-19-2011 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I also received my replacements. I shipped mine 4/19 and they received 4/21. So it took slightly less then 1 month. In the mean time I had ordered another complete light kit to get me by. Now I have 3 sets of lights and 3 Batteries... that should last me a while now!

Geoman has ALWAYS taken care of me. A friend of mine had an issue with a charger and he took care of him... Geoman is awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I recycled mine locally and sent in my paper (signed by an approved recycler) within a couple days of receiving it. I haven't gotten the replacement yet...

Edit 5/23/11: It came over the weekend. Haven't used it yet, but it looks great! Nice work Geo!
    Last edited by J_Hopper; 05-23-2011 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    sorry about the duplicate claims. i was hoping for a downloadable word or acrobat claim form. that i could print off at work

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    still waiting, I sent mine in the day I received it (after dropping off the batteries to be recycled). Sometime in april. Not a biggie, I picked up a L&M seca 1400 to "hold me". Probably won't go back.

EDIT: And of course they showed up in the mail today. I just put them up for sale on 2 other forums I'm on. They just don't compare to my seca1400.
    Last edited by mdeth1313; 05-21-2011 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeth1313
    still waiting, I sent mine in the day I received it (after dropping off the batteries to be recycled). Sometime in april. Not a biggie, I picked up a L&M seca 1400 to "hold me". Probably won't go back.
    EDIT: And of course they showed up in the mail today. I just put them up for sale on 2 other forums I'm on. They just don't compare to my seca1400.

The Magicshine shouldnt compare in anyway to a light that costs $600.00! The Magicshine is marketed toward guys who want a CHEAP but BRIGHT light. Many of us just can not afford to spend the money you did on a light. Heck, I paid less for my USED 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper then you paid for you seca1400! So yeah... your light should blow the doors off the Magicshine. (about the difference between a Hyundai and a nice Porsche)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got mine in the mail today. It arrived a bit sooner than I expected. Granted the recall was a slight inconvenience but stuff breaks and sh*t happens. I thought GeoMan handled the recall exceptionally well -- thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMtbiker
    The Magicshine shouldnt compare in anyway to a light that costs $600.00! The Magicshine is marketed toward guys who want a CHEAP but BRIGHT light. Many of us just can not afford to spend the money you did on a light. Heck, I paid less for my USED 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper then you paid for you seca1400! So yeah... your light should blow the doors off the Magicshine. (about the difference between a Hyundai and a nice Porsche)

well, sorry you took offense- the reality is the magicshine lights weren't cutting it, and this is for my commute to work (road). I have a 40-50mph descent on a pretty crappy road and it's rural, lots of critters so I needed something with a lot more power and a wider beam.
    Once the battery thing happened, it pretty much gave me the excuse to upgrade (although I spend about $500, not $600) and it was well worth it.

FWIW, the magicshines sold in about 3 hours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeth1313
    ..... the reality is the magicshine lights weren't cutting it, and this is for my commute to work (road). I have a 40-50mph descent on a pretty crappy road and it's rural, lots of critters so I needed something with a lot more power and a wider beam.
    Once the battery thing happened, it pretty much gave me the excuse to upgrade (although I spend about $500, not $600) and it was well worth it.

FWIW, the magicshines sold in about 3 hours.
    I'm always glad to hear when someone finds something they like better. Still, to me it sounds like you could of benefited from just having a helmet light with some decent throw for that fast descent. When at speed ( especially when curves are involved ) a good throwing helmet light becomes a priority.

I would of suggested just adding a nice XM-L C8 torch on the bars for boost duties but with road bikes people tend to not have too much room on the bars. Besides, the throw of a bar system can still be limited when going around curves. Because of that a MS XM-L light on the helmet could of perhaps been the simpler solution. Can't hurt to have a little more light on the bars though.

mtbr member
    bump
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am one of the guys who can NOT complain. I had no issues with any of my batteries, but they were OLD. I bought a couple of lights when they first came out... probably within the first 2-3 weeks and I used the crap out of them (150-175 charges and discharges). They were losing some burn time, but I was still very pleased with what I was getting out of them. I sent mine in as soon as I received the recall notice. Having fresh batteries now as a "freebie" was a bonus for me. I did buy a new complete lightset with a new Geoman battery while I waited for the recalled ones to come in so now I have a couple of back ups, but over all I am very happy with the newly designed batteries.

NOTE- the battery "fuel gauge" indicator on all my lights seem to change colors faster then my old batteries... BUT I tested them and ran them until they would blink red just to get a better idea of total burn time. They DO last way longer then the indicator might tell you. I think when it turned red it burned almost an hour! All the lights/batteries burned way more then the originals did when they were new. NO COMPLAINTS HERE!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For the money nothing compares.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I sent my form back on April 21. It's been there for at least a month. What's the dealio Geoman? Is there anyway I can see if my letter was even received. Is the firm literally calling each recycle facility to verfiy?

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post
    I sent my form back on April 21. It's been there for at least a month. What's the dealio Geoman? Is there anyway I can see if my letter was even received. Is the firm literally calling each recycle facility to verfiy?
    Same boat

GeoMan
    Hi guys
    There are multiple steps involved after we receive your claim form which include verifying the name, address, PIN and number of batteries against our order database to scanning and attaching your signed claim form to the database that is provided to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission. Then creating the XML data format to handle the shipping aspect of the process. The recall administration company is still processing claims from the massive response that we received in the first month, we are shipping replacements out daily but due to sheer volume and the complicated process it takes time. We are also handling hundreds of emails each day with these same questions which further reduces our ability to focus on the job at hand which includes processing the recall replacements and maintaining a healthy business so we can fund the recall. We appreciate your support and continued patience

Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Same boat
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Bueller?
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mailed mine on 04/21. they showed up at my home on 05/26.
    Thanks GeoMan

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Still waiting on mine, Have a 24 hour race coming up on the 18th, getting nervous..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Got mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    sent 4/21 and still waiting. contacted geoman 13 days ago and they said they would send my replacement batteries with the next shipment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chiznitz View Post
    Still waiting on mine, Have a 24 hour race coming up on the 18th, getting nervous..
    I'm assuming you're talking about 24HIEF. I got so disgusted with "geoman" and the battery debacle at 24HIOP that we bought quite a few extra batteries. You are more than welcome to borrow a few during the race....we're Team Schadenfreude....should be easy to find. I'm waiting on replacements as well....not holding my breath. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, I got the replacement battery on 05-23-11. Because I had already purchased a BD Strykr to replace it, I haven't used it yet. Last night, I hooked it up to get ready for today's commute (this time of year, coming home is in the dark). Before hand, I attempted to charge the battery up, but the charger indicated it was full. Now, when hooked up, the LED on the back of the light head is red. The light seems to work fine, though I'm not sure yet of the brightness.

As I understand it, when the battery runs down it puts out less power; the light head reads this and the LED changes from green to red, as a warning to the rider. With a full battery, the LED should be green. With my new battery fully charged, why is the LED red?

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper View Post
    Well, I got the replacement battery on 05-23-11. Because I had already purchased a BD Strykr to replace it, I haven't used it yet. Last night, I hooked it up to get ready for today's commute (this time of year, coming home is in the dark). Before hand, I attempted to charge the battery up, but the charger indicated it was full. Now, when hooked up, the LED on the back of the light head is red. The light seems to work fine, though I'm not sure yet of the brightness.

As I understand it, when the battery runs down it puts out less power; the light head reads this and the LED changes from green to red, as a warning to the rider. With a full battery, the LED should be green. With my new battery fully charged, why is the LED red?
    I'm betting the light color is dependent upon the pack voltage. Do you have a multimeter that you can test the voltage with? It should be around 8.40v at full charge. If the multimeter shows that value after charging, the monitoring circuit is bogus. If the multimeter shows anything significantly below 8.40V, your battery isn't really getting charged.
    baker

mtbr member
    Ive had this happen before with a new battery plug it back in to the charger again it just needs to wake up the chip on the battery, if that doesn't work plug it back to the light and turn it on for a minute then back to the charger it worked for me doing this.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 05-31-2011 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Photobucket
    would not recommend the multimeter try what I posted above worked for me

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    would not recommend the multimeter try what I posted above worked for me
    Ha! Good point, Rakuman. It is very easy to short the pack due to the connector configuration. I have a pigtail connector that makes it much easier...
    baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

recall

Iv sent mine back within 5 days when i recieved the notice 6 weeks ago, i imagine there in the mail. Im missing night rides like crazy now cuz its in the 90's during the day & 60's at night. Thought of purchasing a new light for back-up, might get it before replacement batteries arrive.
    Last edited by allmtner; 05-31-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: not needed

mtbr member
    May 2006
    mailed my letter 4/21 and still have not received my replacements here in Pennsylvania. I contacted Geoman via their site and got a "please be patient" email. I'm getting anxious as I need them to train in early mornings/nights due to work schedule. It would have been nice to be notified when to expect the replacements, purely from the package tracking standpoint.

mtbr member
    This is taken from another site but I could not agree more
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Track_Mind View Post
    Jesus. What a bunch of spoiled whiners. Seriously. You bought a $90 light when most comparable lights cost $400+. If you want to ***** and moan every step of the way, you should have bought a $400 light from one of the big companies. Geoman is a small business and doesn't have the infrastructure of the big boys. He is doing everything he can to get your replacement batteries out to you (at no charge, which is pretty incredible). Cut him some slack and be thankful that you got a new, improved battery for free.
    If you're so important and have a big race coming up buy another light from Geoman. Now you will have 2 kick-ass lights for under $200. Seriously, get a grip. And all of the pestering and hand-holding you're demanding only further taxes Geomans thin time/resources. Geoman have you gotten my form? Geoman have you read my form? Geoman have you processed my form? Have you shipped my light? What did you have for breakfast this morning? Do you like the color blue? What time do you usually go to bed? Who do you think will win the playoffs...? Jesus. You all remind me of my ex-girlfriend. Time spent answering your every little question is time not spent getting you your light. Be patient.
    Remember when you were a kid and ordered stuff out of the back of magazines (boy scouts)? Four to Six weeks delivery, after they received your letter. Call it two months. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper View Post
    Before hand, I attempted to charge the battery up, but the charger indicated it was full. Now, when hooked up, the LED on the back of the light head is red. The light seems to work fine, though I'm not sure yet of the brightness.

I had the exact same problem with my new battery.
    Bought one while I'm waiting for replacement to come.

When it's charging the light on the charger should be red.
    When it's not charging the light will be green
    Email Geoman he'll probably send you a new charger.

Here is my original email;

Geoman
    I received your new battery yesterday (took a long time to clear customs,
    not your problem.)Order Number: xxxxx
    Plugged the new battery into the new light head, indicator was red so I put
    it on the charger.
    The light on the charger flashed red then went back to green.
    I figured perhaps it was a problem with the lighthead indicator so plugged
    in the old lighthead = red
    So I left it on low for an hour then tried to charge it again
    the light on the charger flickers red once as it makes the connection then
    goes green
    Measured the output of the charger 8.59 vdc
    Measured the open circuit voltage of the battery 7.11 vdc
    I'm assuming (yes I know what happens when you assume) that the pcb is not
    allowing the battery to take a charge.
    If I plug the battery into the charger the light is green when I plug the
    charge in it flashes (once) red.
    same thing if the charger is plugged in before I plug in the battery
    battery temp is 14'c (always cool in my basement!)
    Hope this rambling makes sense.

and his reply;

It appears as though that Magicshine charger is a little off spec. Thanks for the very detailed analysis of the situation. The PCB will not permit a charge to be accepted above 8.50V, that's why the battery will power a lighthead but not accept a charge from that particular charger. The little flash you see on the Charger led is the PCB of the battery activating protection mode.

We will ship a replacement charger today, please do not use that charger. We apologise for this issue.

New charger arrived fairly quickly and works great.
    The lighthead indicator works as it should

Hope this helps.

sam

mtbr member
    When it happened to me just this morning as a matter of fact. I tried 3 different chargers that worked fine with with the other new batteries it was this one battery that didn't want to charge, same symptoms as yours, I plugged it into a lighthead for a minute then it charged fine on all three chargers that leads me to believe it was the battery not the chargers at least in my case, I charged 5 more of the same type batteries with none of the priors symptoms, Ive had this happen before also with a different brand battery I personally think that sometimes a new pcb just needs to be woke up on its first charge, if i had not seen it before i would think somethings wrong though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hmm... I commuted today, had it on flash (sos) most of the time for a total of about 1 hr. 10 minutes. I got home and read the replies to my post. So, I put the battery on the charger. The charging indicator flashed red and then immediately turned to green. Given that I used it for over an hour today on SOS, it can't possibly be fully charged. Based on this experience, coupled with Sammer's analysis, it seems my charger needs replacing...

BTW, I do have a multimeter, but did not attempt to measure the output.

Geoman- how do I go about requesting a new charger?

Thanks!

Edit - emailed Geo, awaiting response...

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post
    same.

since 4/10/2009
    This is taken from another site but I could not agree more
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Track_Mind View Post
    Jesus. What a bunch of spoiled whiners. Seriously. You bought a $90 light when most comparable lights cost $400+. If you want to ***** and moan every step of the way, you should have bought a $400 light from one of the big companies. Geoman is a small business and doesn't have the infrastructure of the big boys. He is doing everything he can to get your replacement batteries out to you (at no charge, which is pretty incredible). Cut him some slack and be thankful that you got a new, improved battery for free.
    If you're so important and have a big race coming up buy another light from Geoman. Now you will have 2 kick-ass lights for under $200. Seriously, get a grip. And all of the pestering and hand-holding you're demanding only further taxes Geomans thin time/resources. Geoman have you gotten my form? Geoman have you read my form? Geoman have you processed my form? Have you shipped my light? What did you have for breakfast this morning? Do you like the color blue? What time do you usually go to bed? Who do you think will win the playoffs...? Jesus. You all remind me of my ex-girlfriend. Time spent answering your every little question is time not spent getting you your light. Be patient.
    Remember when you were a kid and ordered stuff out of the back of magazines (boy scouts)? Four to Six weeks delivery, after they received your letter. Call it two months. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
    I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I don't have mine yet, but am waiting patiently (I'd rather be chill about waiting than getting all bent out of shape about Geoman doing his best). Yep, it's hot, and the lights would allow me to escape that heat...but I'm dealing with it and riding in the heat anyway because I'd rather ride. And for the record, it's been 100+ on a number of my rides lately.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    I just finally sent off my form yesterday... But I noticed on GeoMan's website that he had "Demo" magicshines with his new batteries on sell. So I went ahead and ordered a set... So that is 2 Magicshines, 2 Batteries (geoman's new batteries), 2 chargers, 2 helmet mounts (I think) and free shipping (all for really cheap).

I am looking forward to get my batteries back and looking forward to my new (well almost new) lightsets!

Thanks GEOMAN!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member

GEOMAN 6.0 Batterys

Ya last week He added his 6.0 Batteries I'm surprised He made no announcement... Must be too busy answering all the where are my battery emails
    I picked up a bunch of them,, 4.1/4 hrs on high for my bikeraylll same for the MS900 lightheads.
    3 1/4 hrs for a battery sucking MS1400 on high.
    Geomangear has gone above and beyond what any other company would in their shoes and has earned our support $$ to get them back on their feet.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 06-01-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Geomangear has gone above and beyond what any other company would in their shoes and has earned our support $$ to get them back on their feet.
    My thoughts exactly! People are complaining about a "delay" in recall process, but remember he is not really running this process it is up to some paper pushing lawyers and bureaucrats.

Most shops his size would have either ignored the problem and let your house burn and then declared bankruptcy and left town. Instead you are getting a better product with continued support… That is someone I want to do business with hence why I ordered yet another set of lights.

By the time I get my batteries back I will have 4 Magicshines with good batteries all for less than some are paying for a single lightset. Granted I will split that up with my Bro so that we both have 2 lightsets and 1 Flashlight for the bikes... Plenty of light for our night rides!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNoob View Post
    ...Most shops his size would have either ignored the problem and let your house burn and then declared bankruptcy and left town...
    In fact, ALL other suppliers and the manufacturer have ignored the problem.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    hopefully mine come soon....i mailed my claim in on 4/20.....

fingers crossed.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Maybe you really patient guys could email geoman and ask him to put you at the bottom of the list so the less patient among us could get our batteries and stop bothering you with our whining.

mtbr member
    Or you could buy another battery and be riding and not complaining.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Or you could buy another battery and be riding and not complaining.
    I like my idea better.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I like to ride.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Jug...

What I think he (POG) is really saying is that he just likes to complain and feels he is deserves to be moved to the front of the line...
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I got mine last night! Thanks Geoman!

Question for those who have them, from someone who is admittedly an idiot (and hardly used the lights at all, since I bought them shortly before the recall): they're different in shape than the batteries I had, and they're not shaped to fit in the little neoprene sack of the old batteries. But they have a rubbery piece on them that looks like it was made to snug directly onto the frame. How are you attaching these?

mtbr member
    It should have came with a velcro strap if not hit Gman up.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    it did come with a velcro strap. Thanks for the pic!

BBW
    mtbr member

By the time I get my batteries back I will have 4 Magicshines with good batteries all for less than some are paying for a single lightset.
    LMFAO
    You will need those 4 lightheads, 4 batteries and 4 chargers to have ONE GOOD FUNCTIONING light in a few months hahaha
    You could have gotten a real light and not have had the downtime for ALL THAT money
    oops
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    LMFAO
    You will need those 4 lightheads, 4 batteries and 4 chargers to have ONE GOOD FUNCTIONING light in a few months hahaha
    You could have gotten a real light and not have had the downtime for ALL THAT money
    oops
    Huh?

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    LMFAO
    oops
    I have only had 4 days down time... (during which I did not need my lights). Granted that I am currently only running 2/3s of the lights that I WILL be running once the batteries get back but I am currently running just has I did over the winter. (1 MS and 1 Torch)

And implying the my magicshine will stop working in a few months (maybe/maybe not)... My current magicshine does not show any signs of wear after a hard winter season of riding, I assume I will get 2-3 years out of this light set up without any problems...

So assuming that I only get 2 years out the setup... Lets break this down into dollars per rider per year of use.

I have $360 total in 4 lights and batteries, that is $180 per rider total, which means $90.00 per year per rider. That is for 2 magicshines and 2 good batteries for only $90.00 year. I spend more than that on bottled water.

Now your lights may last longer (most likely will) than 2 years (but really and truely my lights will most likely last longer too) but your batteries will NOT be much good after 2 years of hard use so your going to have to replace them for what $60-$70 (after shipping) each... And what happens when you have that wreck and break a light... You better not ride too hard with that fancy light, I would hate to see you WASTE ALL THAT MONEY!

If I wreck and break a $90.00 light that was already a year old (half of the total expected life I only lost $45.00)... I will feel it but I will be able to buy another and keep riding, but if that light was $400.00 (and only 1/3 its expected life I lost $266)... I don't think I could replace it.

So if we say your lights will last 3 years (and you are lucky enough not to wreck in 3 years)... Well you have$400 x 2 for (for 2 of your "quality" lights) so that is $800 plus replacement batteries at the end of year 2 so $65(between 60 and 70 shipped) x 2, so we just added another 130 ... This means $930.00 total divided by 3 years. So that is $310.00 per year per rider for your "quality" lightsets.

Hell to me that reads I can buy a new bike every 5 or 6 years just from the money saved using MS lights (6 years * 220 per year saved = $1320.00) and that is if I don't wreck in 6 years.

But I guess economics is no longer taught in school...

Go ahead keep paying more than 3 times the price for a product that is only 30% better... That makes alot of economic sense!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    FatNoob, I'm not so sure a high quality light is 30% better. Given the high quality replacement battery and top-notch Geoman customer service, I'd say you're being generous.

All, I got an email from Geoman almost immediately (within a day) saying he'd ship a new charger, at no cost to me.

For a cheap light that I got almost a year of solid use out of, that I now have a new, high quality battery as well as a new charger (on the way) for, I have no complaints and certainly no buyers remorse. I think it'll make an excellent helmet light with my BD Strykr w/wide angle lense on the bars.

BBW
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Harvard school?

I have only had 4 days down time... (during which I did not need my lights). Granted that I am currently only running 2/3s of the lights that I WILL be running once the batteries get back but I am currently running just has I did over the winter. (1 MS and 1 Torch)

And implying the my magicshine will stop working in a few months (maybe/maybe not)... My current magicshine does not show any signs of wear after a hard winter season of riding, I assume I will get 2-3 years out of this light set up without any problems...

So assuming that I only get 2 years out the setup... Lets break this down into dollars per rider per year of use.

I have $360 total in 4 lights and batteries, that is $180 per rider total, which means $90.00 per year per rider. That is for 2 magicshines and 2 good batteries for only $90.00 year. I spend more than that on bottled water.

Now your lights may last longer (most likely will) than 2 years (but really and truely my lights will most likely last longer too) but your batteries will NOT be much good after 2 years of hard use so your going to have to replace them for what $60-$70 (after shipping) each... And what happens when you have that wreck and break a light... You better not ride too hard with that fancy light, I would hate to see you WASTE ALL THAT MONEY!

If I wreck and break a $90.00 light that was already a year old (half of the total expected life I only lost $45.00)... I will feel it but I will be able to buy another and keep riding, but if that light was $400.00 (and only 1/3 its expected life I lost $266)... I don't think I could replace it.

So if we say your lights will last 3 years (and you are lucky enough not to wreck in 3 years)... Well you have$400 x 2 for (for 2 of your "quality" lights) so that is $800 plus replacement batteries at the end of year 2 so $65(between 60 and 70 shipped) x 2, so we just added another 130 ... This means $930.00 total divided by 3 years. So that is $310.00 per year per rider for your "quality" lightsets.

Hell to me that reads I can buy a new bike every 5 or 6 years just from the money saved using MS lights (6 years * 220 per year saved = $1320.00) and that is if I don't wreck in 6 years.

But I guess economics is no longer taught in school...

Go ahead keep paying more than 3 times the price for a product that is only 30% better... That makes alot of economic sense!
    Do you drive the cheapest 2-door car and wipe your butt with single-ply paper? if not it doesn't make any economic sense because they will both do the same as the other "quality" option
    One of my lights is in its 3rd year and let me tell you that is running as strong as the first day (well, better), I have upgraded the LED to the new technology (was a DYI). I expect my lights to last 10 years+
    On the other hand I have crashed HARD with them and even broke the front glass on time. I replaced the front cap/glass and back to looking like new (DYI too). Are you going to be able to find replacement parts for yours? well I guess it doesn't matter since you have 4 so you can cannibalize them to fix the broken one; probably you will end with 1 lighthead and 4 batteries after a few crashes? mine are very crashable (as a MTB light should be!) and will keep going strong for years AND keeping up with technology (that's why they are a good option IMO)
    Sometimes you can't put a price on things because its not the monetary value that counts but the satisfaction that they give you. Try sometime the triple-ply paper; I know it doesn't make much economic sense but I promise you it will make you smile (Just like my lights!)
    Cheers
    BBW. MS, RD

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Sometimes you can't put a price on things because its not the monetary value that counts but the satisfaction that they give you.
    Thats my thoughts exactly... I bought my lights to ride at night, NOT to brag about how expensive they were. So as long as they function well for riding at night why would I want to pay 4 times as much for them.

I don't drive the cheapest car nor do I drive a Porsche or other "Johnson Compensator". I drive the best "Total cost of ownership" car (a toyota at the time of my last car purchase).

I dont use single ply TP nor do I use the most expensive brand on the shelf. I use what works well for me because it is what is the best value for my needs.

I did not buy the cheapest light (or even the cheapest lightset). I bought the best value for my need to ride at night!

Economics is about "Over All Value" to the customer.

One of my lights is in its 3rd year and let me tell you that is running as strong as the first day (well, better), I have upgraded the LED to the new technology (was a DYI). I expect my lights to last 10 years+
    If bragging rights is what you value then you did good! And really you have already had to UPDATE your lights after 3 years (a cost not in the previous figure)... If you like DIY projects more than riding you may have made the right move.

But if value of the light was only to ride at night... You most likely wasted alot of money.

If you are having to "update" your lightset with new LEDs or other items after only 3 years... Do you really consider that to be a 10 year product purchase? If I bought a car and had to replace the engine only 33% through the expected life of the product I would be back at the manufacturer claiming they gave me a defective product. Now either they made a bad product or I seriously over estimated its expected life... Either way I would have to say that would be a bad purchase and a waste of my money. My money is very hard earned and therefore I try to plan every purchase.

How much time and money was spent (From research time to first use of the "updated" light)? Again I bought a light set to ride at night not work on it? And I plan to purchase a new lightset in 2-3 years which means what ever is the industry standard of product at that time will be what I buy (read between the lines that means AUTOMATIC UPDATE).
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by YosarianRem View Post
    I'm assuming you're talking about 24HIEF. I got so disgusted with "geoman" and the battery debacle at 24HIOP that we bought quite a few extra batteries. You are more than welcome to borrow a few during the race....we're Team Schadenfreude....should be easy to find. I'm waiting on replacements as well....not holding my breath. Good luck.
    Yes I'm talking about 24HITEF. I may be able to burrow my friends L&M Stella 210L but TBH I had one of those before and it doesn't put out near the light the MS does.

I may just come find you if my batteries don't come in on time. I have 3 batteries I'm waiting on :-/

Our team is called Waving At the Hunnies/1/4 Pale Goat.

Super excited for the race, it was a blast last year!

BBW
    mtbr member
    Thats my thoughts exactly...
    no need to go further then
    BTW I'm not bragging about their price; heck I haven't even mention the brand because it doesn't matter.
    enjoy your lights; I won't go deeper, we have different opinions and that is OK
    Also people drive Porsches even though a Nissan 370 cost half and goes faster... there's a market for everybody
    too much
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Thanks!

I got my new batteries last week. Thanks, Geo!

I was planning on storing the new batteries until the fall before charging them. Should I not charge them or should I fully charge them and test them out? I also have the older style battery charger. Do I need to worry about it not charging the new batteries?

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by el cap View Post

I was planning on storing the new batteries until the fall before charging them. Should I not charge them or should I fully charge them and test them out? I also have the older style battery charger. Do I need to worry about it not charging the new batteries?
    I am a n00b but my understanding is that these style batteries are better stored dis-charged. If it where me I would "cycle" (full charge then discharge it) to test it and the store it dis-charged. You would hate to hit the first week after time changes back to realize your battery was no good and have to wait on a replacement.

On the charger I think a new one is still shipping with the "orginial" battery charger. The problem was trying to charge the mismatched battery cells not the actual charger itself (at least that was my understanding).
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    enjoy your lights;
    Thank you... I will enjoy the rides that the lights allow me to take!

Enjoy yours (the rides and/or lights)!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by el cap View Post

They should be stored at approximately 40% of full charge. I use a hobby charger to discharge mine to the appropriate level (which is around 3.8v per cell). Not sure how you're going to manage the appropriate voltage without a hobby charger, but they should not be stored fully charged or fully discharged.

Many of the li ion packs I've received in the past have been delivered at the appropriate storage state. I have no clue how the geoman packs are arriving. Hopefully, I'll get mine soon and can check.

Edit: Without a hobby charger, I'd probably plug them into the light to ensure they function for a few seconds, then just store them without charging them up to capacity.
    Last edited by baker; 06-06-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    baker

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    The back of your MS can function as a very crued volt meter for the battery. Fully charge then Discharge until the back of your light turns Yellow or Red and now you know your at X% (A few different models have different % amounts).

The current model that Geomangear sells

Yellow 70 - 40%
    Red 40 - 1%

So you want to stop discharging as soon as the light turns Red... If you buy the DEMO light set or have an older you may need to stop shortly afterthe light turns Yellow (trying to guess where 40% is)

Yellow 50-25%
    Red 25-5%

If you have a set bought before the those 2 styles you will have to find refernce to that information.
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Got my replacement battery today. Been using a strykr and strykr pro since this winter so the MS now goes on my daughter's bike.

mtbr member
    Sent in the form on 4/20… received the replacement batteries today, 6/6… Thanks Geoman!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey Chiznitz....it appears I don't have enough posts to PM you....we'll have plenty of lights and batteries so count on it....heard only great things about last year....just got an email that they are looking for more volunteers, so we're going to roll in Thursday morning....see you there....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0