Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Got my replacement battery yesterday...sent form in 2-3 days after the letters were received.

Hang in there people, yours will come. Thanks Geoman!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mine came yesterday, about 6 weeks after I sent back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got mine yesterday. I had purchased it from GeoMan Sept. 2010, and sent in my battery and form on April 25.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is an update on the "Magicshine Battery Recall Website". It's not very encouraging for those of us still waiting.

My recall form was mailed back on April 19th.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    There is an update on the "Magicshine Battery Recall Website". It's not very encouraging for those of us still waiting.

I get it. Really. I appreciate the hoops Geoman is taking & can't imagine the hit on their bottom line. Stand up customer service if I've ever seen it. At the same time I'm now pissed... at the process & myself... for surrendering two perfectly good batteries.

I have to ask. Did it occur to the 'experts' to order enough parts & pieces to cover ALL the 'defective' units?

Last edited by TroutBum; 06-07-2011 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Received mine today, claim form mailed April 27.

mtbr member
    Just a passing comment....After the long winter wait I'm glad to see that people are finally starting to get their replacement batteries. I just hope the people who recycled their other battery were smart enough to clip the connector plug off before doing so. Never know when having the extra connector plug might help you adapt another battery to your light.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    I get it. Really. I appreciate the hoops Geoman is taking & can't imagine the hit on their bottom line. Stand up customer service if I've ever seen it. At the same time I'm now pissed... at the process & myself... for surrendering two perfectly good batteries.
    Yep, me too.

I thought long and hard before I recycled my three seemingly fine batteries. I was worried that everyone was going to be sending theirs in and that it would be too big of a job and that it could take a long, long time to get my replacements but decided based on the language used to go ahead and recycled them and sent in my form.... Now I have races on the horizon and no batteries for my lights... I'd just buy new ones if I had the money which sadly I do not... I should have been smarter than this
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I got my replacement charger yesterday. It works as it should. Not only did Geoman honor the battery recall, but replaced the charger for free. Again, great customer service Geo! I'm certain the doubters will be proven wrong...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Probably a silly question but oblige me if you will:

What is the mailing address for the claim form (without batteries)?

On the recall website I could only find the shipping address if returning the faulty battery backs via UPS or USPS.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Only thing I'm bummed about is that the contracted recall company doesn't seem to be utilizing the first in, first out process. A let down since I busted my hump to get the stuff back and peeps that sent it in a week or more later already have batteries. sigh. Not a geoman issue. more props for being responsible .

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    I couldn’t wait any longer. Ordered new lights today. It’s killing me to miss so many night rides for the last 6 weeks now.

I appreciate GeoMan stepping up to do this voluntary recall, but in hind site I wish I would have waited and not rushed to get rid of my old (working) batteries. Such is life.

Thanks GeoMan for your service to the biking community. Looking forward to getting the new batteries.

Ben
    Looking for that perfect trail…again…and…again…and…again…

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    Received mine today, claim form mailed April 27.
    I mailed mine (2) on April 20, they were received April 22, and I've got nothing. WTF??? I know this is a huge undertaking for a small company, but I would think that first come should be first served.

mtbr member

still waiting

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Yep, me too.

I thought long and hard before I recycled my three seemingly fine batteries. I was worried that everyone was going to be sending theirs in and that it would be too big of a job and that it could take a long, long time to get my replacements but decided based on the language used to go ahead and recycled them and sent in my form.... Now I have races on the horizon and no batteries for my lights... I'd just buy new ones if I had the money which sadly I do not... I should have been smarter than this

I am in the same boat, and really getting tired of waiting. Recycled my batteries and sent the form back within a few days of receipt back in early April and still no replacements. Bought in Sept last year (2300 kit) and havent been able to use but a few times due to the notice not to use. Wish I had some confirmation of my place in line for replacements. Geoman...any way to help?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Mailing address for recall form

Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Probably a silly question but oblige me if you will:

What is the mailing address for the claim form (without batteries)?
    Magicshine Battery Recall
    PO Box 328
    Minneapolis MN 55440-0328
    United States of America

On the recall website I could only find the shipping address if returning the faulty battery backs via UPS or USPS.

Cheers!
    See above.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ^^^ Thanks mtnradsem! ^^^

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

So, if I understand that correctly, they have gone through their first batch of replacement batteries and the second batch is ordered but will take 16 weeks to arrive. ...Meaning if we havn't recieived our replacements yet, we may not see them until Sept-Oct.??

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    So, if I understand that correctly, they have gone through their first batch of replacement batteries and the second batch is ordered but will take 16 weeks to arrive. ...Meaning if we havn't recieived our replacements yet, we may not see them until Sept-Oct.??
    just in time for a crisp fall ride.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post
    just in time for a crisp fall ride.
    Unless we're "lucky" enough to have to wait on a third or fourth order.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Still waiting, it's been over approx. 4 months since I sent in TWO batteries to their recommended site. I was fine paying postage, but, heck, I've missed so many night rides, and it's now SUMMER.

Glad to hear people are getting their batteries. Maybe being one of the first to send my batteries in was a mistake.

Kevin

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Still waiting, it's been over approx. 4 months since I sent in TWO batteries to their recommended site. I was fine paying postage, but, heck, I've missed so many night rides, and it's now SUMMER.

Glad to hear people are getting their batteries. Maybe being one of the first to send my batteries in was a mistake.

Kevin

Have to say, Geomangear responded quickly to my questions, however, this is the e-mail they sent:

We have had a huge response to the recall. There are multiple steps involved after the recall administrator receives a claim form, from verifying the name, address, PIN and number of batteries against our order database, to scanning and attaching the signed claim form to the database that is provided to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission, to creating the XML data format to handle the shipping aspect of this process.

Based on the expert’s best estimates of batteries needed for the recall, we placed our first order for our custom designed, fully tested battery packs in January and received these packs in late April. The claims filed have greatly exceeded the estimates and we have placed our next order for batteries to continue fulfilling claims. Unfortunately, we have recently learned that the Japanese natural disasters have seriously affected the supply of the Panasonic cells used in our battery packs and the production time has increased from six weeks to sixteen weeks.

Because Geomangear is a small, family owned company we must rely on sales to support this very expensive recall program (now in excess of $750,000). This means that we must continue in business selling bike equipment so that we can order and send more batteries to customers who have filed claims.

All of these issues affect when you will receive your replacement battery. We are trying our best but this process will take time. We are shipping recall replacement batteries every week. Unfortunately we are not able to predict when you will receive your replacement battery pack(s)

Thanks,

Geomangear Team

Basically, what I read on their website. I'll keep everyone posted to how long it takes from e-mail contact w/ the Geomangear Team.

Thanks,

Kevin

VENI VEDI BIKI
    (insert sarcasm....)

I believe this is an evil ploy to make me buy another set of lights.

I sent in 2 batteries and it looks like I am in the late batch. My choices seem to be to 1) go without lights all season; 2) buy another battery pack; or 3) switch to an entirely different system at a substantial cost. I will most likely go with option 2, which means that when my replacements DO arrive, I will have 3 battery packs and one light-head. I will then have to purchase another lighthead, as it makes no sense to have 3 batteries and 1 light. ....at least I will eventually wind up with 2 sets of lights.....

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    (insert sarcasm....)

I believe this is an evil ploy to make me buy another set of lights.

I sent in 2 batteries and it looks like I am in the late batch. My choices seem to be to 1) go without lights all season; 2) buy another battery pack; or 3) switch to an entirely different system at a substantial cost. I will most likely go with option 2, which means that when my replacements DO arrive, I will have 3 battery packs and one light-head. I will then have to purchase another lighthead, as it makes no sense to have 3 batteries and 1 light. ....at least I will eventually wind up with 2 sets of lights.....
    I thought about another battery as well, but can't justify spending more money! Geoman has been pretty good w/ customer service, quick to reply to e-mails, so, I am giving him a chance. It's a gigantic undertaking to replace all of the defective batteries, but, hopefully, I will receive the new set soon. If not, Lesson learned!!!:

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Just a passing comment....After the long winter wait I'm glad to see that people are finally starting to get their replacement batteries. I just hope the people who recycled their other battery were smart enough to clip the connector plug off before doing so. Never know when having the extra connector plug might help you adapt another battery to your light.
    After a bit of waffling when I turned in my battery, I decided I'd make my own replacement. My battery was in an aluminum cylinder. I opened up the container, clipped the connector, took it to Radioshack and gave them the cells that were inside the case and kept everything else. If they gave me trouble I was prepared to reassemble it and give them it all, but they took the cells and signed the form.

I've since purchased new cells, soldered them up, and installed them in the old case. Reading the announcement, I'm glad I did. When I get the replacement battery I'll buy another lighthead from geoman and have two sets, which should be a big improvement for trail riding over the one helmet light I was using. For now I'm OK, I'm just using the light on flash mode for my commuting in and out of the city for a little more safety. Won't need to do any night trail riding until October. If I don't get the replacement by then it will be a bit of a drag.

What a cluster f__k. Now we've got the tsunami-related manufacturing delays. I know some people are down on geoman but he's doing the right thing (unlike many others) and has gotten stuck in a lose-lose situation.

Pablo Escobar
    I received my replacement battery yesterday. Mailed my form the day after it arrived. Thank you very much GeoMan.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast