Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    VENI VEDI BIKI
    Just got confirmation of my upgrade order.

Caldaw

Still waiting, no longer patiently

Waiting since March/April! Still have no ETA on my 2 batteries.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by caldaw View Post
    Waiting since March/April! Still have no ETA on my 2 batteries.
    Recall timeline bottom of the page.

ONGOING – Began shipping replacement batteries on 5/3/2011. Replacement battery packs shipped in phases as sales can support the recall process.

UPDATE (7/15/2011) - We are working our way through the thousands of claims received so far and here's the progress. Additional battery shipments are due in the next six weeks which will allow us to fulfill the majority of initial claims.

7/15/2011 - Shipped 32% of all approved claims
    7/20/2011 - Shipped 35% of all approved claims
    Bookmark that, looks like end of August almost everyone should have them.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Just got confirmation of my upgrade order.
    How did you receive confirmation?

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by khskenny View Post
    How did you receive confirmation?
    E-mail with the following:

Thank you for your order!

Order Information
    Merchant: GeoManGear
    Description: Geomangear 6.0 Upgrade

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have been waiting exactly 90 friggin days. BAD BUSINESS. I don't care what you defenders say. Ah cheap light just replace it defense ( I did with a 1200 dinotte) If you compete with the big boys then you need to act like the big boys. If one of them had a problem it would be resolved by now.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by coachl22 View Post
    I have been waiting exactly 90 friggin days. BAD BUSINESS. I don't care what you defenders say. Ah cheap light just replace it defense ( I did with a 1200 dinotte) If you compete with the big boys then you need to act like the big boys. If one of them had a problem it would be resolved by now.
    Has anyone received their GeoMan recall replacement batteries yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well guess what - how bout all the other complaints posted on this thread! I suggest you foward this message to them Mr. thread police!

trail rat
    Everyone else stopped after that was posted and have continued in the other thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I did not see that post!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by coachl22 View Post
    I did not see that post!
    Click the link below.

Has anyone received their GeoMan recall replacement batteries yet?

mtbr member
    I decided to go the 6.0Ah upgrade route. They're on the way.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    What is the advantage of the battery upgrade? I assume these are larger cells with longer run times? If so, how much longer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz29 View Post
    What is the advantage of the battery upgrade? I assume these are larger cells with longer run times? If so, how much longer?
    (6.0 - 4.5) / 4.5 = 33 % longer.

jsg
    desk jockey
    I disposed of my defective GM batteries properly, skipped the recall rigamarole, and ponied up for the GM 6.0 batteries. No waiting, no worrying, no whining, You all spent how much for your bikes, and now you are nickel and dimeing over a few batteries?

Then I noticed that my old chargers were not working with the new batteries. One email to geoman and a few days later 2 new chargers arrived in my mail. Geoman rocks.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I decided to go the 6.0Ah upgrade route. They're on the way.
    Did you get a seperate shipping notification or just the order confirmation?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Did you get a seperate shipping notification or just the order confirmation?
    I got an order confirmation with tracking number. This post.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    6.0 Upgrade batteries arrived yesterday! Going try them out tonight. Thanks Geoman!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just cut the pig tail off of my Magic Shine battery and used it to connect to one of my r/c car lipo's. It is money! I was hessitant to chop up my battery instead of getting it warrantied, but with the wait times involved... I was through waiting to send it in. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.
    I have lipo's ranging from 3000 mah - 6000 mah and am excited to see what kind of run times they are going to offer. My guess is it's going to be awesome.
    I'd suggest picking up a 7.4v lipo off of ebay for around $10-20 for one of the no-name brands and call it a day. I'm not even going to bother with the warranty now...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTreky View Post
    I just cut the pig tail off of my Magic Shine battery and used it to connect to one of my r/c car lipo's. It is money! I was hessitant to chop up my battery instead of getting it warrantied, but with the wait times involved... I was through waiting to send it in. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.
    I have lipo's ranging from 3000 mah - 6000 mah and am excited to see what kind of run times they are going to offer. My guess is it's going to be awesome.
    I'd suggest picking up a 7.4v lipo off of ebay for around $10-20 for one of the no-name brands and call it a day. I'm not even going to bother with the warranty now...
    You can still turn the old battery in to a local recycling center, get the form signed and participate in the recall. The new battery is high quality and in a nice package.

The original MS battery was 4400 mah so your 3000 will have a shorter run time and the 6000 should run 36% longer in theory.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I received my 3 upgraded 6.0 packs the other day. It was about 10 days after mailing in my request form. Externally, they look to be very high quality. I will try to do runtime tests in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You can still turn the old battery in to a local recycling center, get the form signed and participate in the recall. The new battery is high quality and in a nice package.

The original MS battery was 4400 mah so your 3000 will have a shorter run time and the 6000 should run 36% longer in theory.
    Good to know that I can still get a new battery even with the hacked pig tail! Thank you. I've got a 5000mah Orion LIPO that is just rediculous... I'll probably use that one. But I've got several to choose from so no biggie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    sent in the defective batteries at the end of April. Received the replacement july 22...just three days before our family bike camping trip. Thanks geoman!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I understand they have a warehouse in Tucson, AZ.....does anyone have a physical address them? Thanks.

g3h6o3
    Hello all,
    I'm trying to figure if I'll be able to get my batteries on tiem for a couple of races that are coming soon. Since Geoman doesn't care to share the progress of replacmeent, I'm wondering if anybody who received theirs could share their id on the return list to see how far I am. I'm #3257.

Thanks
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm trying to figure if I'll be able to get my batteries on tiem for a couple of races that are coming soon. Since Geoman doesn't care to share the progress of replacmeent, I'm wondering if anybody who received theirs could share their id on the return list to see how far I am. I'm #3257.

Thanks
    Good luck with that... I am #3169 and sent mine in on 4/20 and still have nothing

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hello all,

Thanks
    You may want to consider the upgrade option. For $25 you can get a battery with greater capacity and get it now. I emailed geoman about the upgrade option and he promptly sent me the upgrade forms by email. It took about 10 days to receive my new battery from the time I mailed in the upgrade forms. I was glad to pay the extra $25 for a battery with greater capacity, plus I no longer had to wait and wonder when I would receive my replacement.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    You may want to consider the upgrade option. For $25 you can get a battery with greater capacity and get it now. I emailed geoman about the upgrade option and he promptly sent me the upgrade forms by email. It took about 10 days to receive my new battery from the time I mailed in the upgrade forms. I was glad to pay the extra $25 for a battery with greater capacity, plus I no longer had to wait and wonder when I would receive my replacement.
    I am considering it and got the forms but I'd like to know if they are at #3250 or at #2000...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My recall pin was 3278 if that is what you are after. I recycled locally, mailed my recall form on 4/19/11 and received the replacements a couple of weeks ago. I doubt that the pin # has anything to do with replacement order though.

g3h6o3
    My recall pin was 3278 if that is what you are after. I recycled locally, mailed my recall form on 4/19/11 and received the replacements a couple of weeks ago. I doubt that the pin # has anything to do with replacement order though.
    I don't know but they said I'm "number 3257 on the official recall list"

This situation starts to suck big time. Another customer with a lower PIN and that mailed roughly the same day as you is still waiting... Mmmmm

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In one e-mail, I was told there were over 2000 forms received before mine. I lot of people got them in quickly.

g3h6o3
    So people living further away (and therefore having to live with mail delays) are penalized...

Being in Canada, I received the the recall notice later than many folks. I guess I can expect a similar delay when I sent it back. I can't imagine the situation for europeans or south americans...

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Wow, still no e-mails from Geomangear, and no lights. The summer is almost over, and not one night ride in! There is still a few more weeks left, I can only hope at this point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Received my 6.0 upgrade today.
    Mailed the forms July 16th (from Canada)
    Not sure how long it would have taken to get the 4.5.
    Definitely worth the $25.
    Thanks Geo

sam

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Wow, still no e-mails from Geomangear, and no lights. The summer is almost over, and not one night ride in! There is still a few more weeks left, I can only hope at this point.

Just curious, seriously. I took a look at your profile and impressive list of bike parts you're running (pricey). Why not throw down for the upgrade, get your battery and ride?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sammer View Post
    Received my 6.0 upgrade today.
    Mailed the forms July 16th (from Canada)
    Not sure how long it would have taken to get the 4.5.
    Definitely worth the $25.
    Thanks Geo

sam
    I thought you had to receive the 4.5 batteries first before you could upgrade - that's what I saw from Geoman's post. How do I get in on this if I am still waiting?

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, heck, I'm in California, and have not heard from geomangear in a few weeks. They haven't responded to my e-mails. I guess maybe their mad at me for e-mailing, asking for updates and potential delivery times. I hope I get the two batteries before the summer over! One of my friends who has two batteries is still using them, good for him, he was worried about the return time, I told him Geomangear was awesome, and they would ship in a reasonable time frame, I was wrong and he is riding!

Kevin

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by newportl View Post
    I thought you had to receive the 4.5 batteries first before you could upgrade - that's what I saw from Geoman's post. How do I get in on this if I am still waiting?
    We had a bunch of messages about this and how to proceed, back a week or so, above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Email geoman and ask for the upgrade forms.
    May have been a limited time deal.
    If your not on his ignore list they'll get back to you fairly quickly.
    Couldn't find the original post to link to, but it was in here somewhere.

sam

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Yeah, heck, I'm in California, and have not heard from geomangear in a few weeks. They haven't responded to my e-mails. I guess maybe their mad at me for e-mailing, asking for updates and potential delivery times. I hope I get the two batteries before the summer over! One of my friends who has two batteries is still using them, good for him, he was worried about the return time, I told him Geomangear was awesome, and they would ship in a reasonable time frame, I was wrong and he is riding!

Kevin
    When I email them, I get a reply in 15 minutes or less. I did the 6.0 upgrade without the replacement batteries and got them in about 10 days; I had a defective battery, emailed at about 600 am, got a reply at 610 am, and a shipping notice just after 900 am. It was here in two days.. You must be using the wrong email. I'm in central coastal CA.

mtbr member

Off tpic but ..

Hey Geoman,
    Maybe you can source a connectable USB charging adapter for the battery packs so I can use the battery pack to charge my electronic devices when I am not using the light head.

Or add a USB charging port to future packs.

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine View Post
    Hey Geoman,
    Maybe you can source a connectable USB charging adapter for the battery packs so I can use the battery pack to charge my electronic devices when I am not using the light head.

Thanks...
    Great idea. I have a small device that I use to charge my iPhone and Garmin when I do a two-day ride each year. Would be nice to have the mega capacity to use the light a bit for night riding and still have the juice to charge the devices.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

www.airbornemtb.org
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine View Post
    Hey Geoman,

Thanks...
    If you need something quick, rob could make you one. made one for me and it works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone send their forms in around late April or early May and get their battery?

mtbr member
    I can't remember when I sent mine in, but it was no later than March, and I have not received mine. I'm more than a little annoyed.

g3h6o3
    I sent the form for the 6.0 batteries so I can use my lights this season. I had lost hope of receiving anything else anyways. No more business with Geoman for me in the future...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    according to the Geoman recall time-line on their website only 1/3 of approved claims have been shipped out.....basically most people have not received their batteries yet (including me....I turned in the form around April 24)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    according to the Geoman recall time-line on their website only 1/3 of approved claims have been shipped out.....basically most people have not received their batteries yet (including me....I turned in the form around April 24)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This is the reply I received from GEOMAN today....... Absolutely ridiculous!

Buy our product dispose of the battery and wait a year to use it F*** Geoman!

Hi Glen

Our apologies for the long wait, we want to wrap this process up as quickly as we can.

We continue to receive more battery shipments and send out large numbers of claims each week, but it will take a couple months to complete this recall process.

Here's more information on the recall timeline:

Recall Timeline : GeoMan Gear, The best products, the best prices, & Lightnin Fast service!

Thanks
    GeoManGear

Just Ride!
    Really hoping I receive my battery before daylight savings time change!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

For any Canadian Magicshine owners out there......

I decided to take advantage or the $25 upgrade to the 6.0Ah battery. Needed two batteries so cost me $50 total. Sent in the necessary forms about 3 weeks ago and received the batteries yesterday. From the casing and overall design they look like they're excellent quality. Charged them up and will hopefully get to test them out on a ride tonight. I'd forgotten how bright the Magicshines are. The Cygolite Mitycross I've been using for night riding over the summer is pretty good but I'm looking forward to getting my full lighting array back on the bike.

The overall recall process has required a good deal of patience but I think the folks at Geomangear are doing the best they can given the circumstances

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenm View Post

You left out the fact that the choice was yours. There were other options. Just go to the MagicShine argument thread and you will see the other options. Also remember that if you had bought from somebody else you would have been, "Dead in the water", as no one else was offering FREE replacements for the MagicShine batteries. You can F the G-man all you want but no other seller did what he is doing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't want to deviate from this thread's purpose but Glen those are some pretty harsh words mate. Really. They are doing their best in terms of the recall process and this is on top of trying to run a business as it is.

Gman's recall was voluntary and at a substantial cost to them. As fatboy pointed out, Gman does offer a battery upgrade for only $25 more if you don't want to wait for the free smaller capacity battery.

I did my online registration and sent in paper work a few months ago and only just got my confirmation from them yesterday. I decided to do an upgrade on 2 batteries as I already know they are backlogged. They made it very clear to everyone this would be the case from the get go. It will still probably take another few weeks until the upgraded ones turn up on my door step.

Full transparency on their part. No hidden agendas. A tremendous undertaking. I find it very disheartening that folks can still try to find fault.

EDITED

I will update here again when I receive upgraded batteries. 2nd round of paperwork will be mailed in today.
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 08-11-2011 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Reached the begining of the second trimester and like SO many others - still waiting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Got my upgrade today. Case looks awesome. Took 8 days from when I sent the form in to them until the batteries arrived. So with shipping time on both ends that means they turned it around almost immediately. Thanks Geoman!

Ordered a XML head today and a Y cable. Will be able to do two on the bar and one on my helmet. Bring on Fall!

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep, ordered the upgrade as well and was thinking the same thing w/ the Y cable since the battery is a 6.0.

50 bucks for 2 real quality 6.0 Li batteries is a pretty good deal. Check around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I sent mine back in late April. I decided a couple of weeks ago to upgrade to the 6.0's and received them last week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    In follow-up to my post above regarding the upgraded replacement batteries......they are excellent. Rode last night for almost 2 hours running both MS-900s on the bars with one battery and a Y-cable. Lights were on max for probably 80% of the ride and dropped down to medium for the remainder. Indicator lights were both red by the end of the ride but the lights were still going strong. Highly recommend the upgrade if you're on the fence or just tired of waiting for the original battery.

mtbr member

Restating the obvious...

I think all you folks complaining are funny. First off I rode with the recalled batteries (probably 10-15x's) after the initial notice. Keep an eye on them while charging, no worries otherwise. I recycled mine (have to admit I thought twice about it cause they worked fine) a couple days after the recall got to me, bought another cheap battery from him and have done another 8-10 rides I'm guessing with that battery. I'll happily drop $50 to get the upgraded battery (now) and continue riding into fall. I'm as strapped for cash as the next guy but riding at night is what I do, I set my priorities and spend my money where it hopefully benefits me the most. In this case it was upgrading.

Now I've got my upgrades, done another 3-4 rides with them. I also run the Y cable w/ 2 900's... plenty o' run time.
    Last edited by jugdish; 08-12-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

VENI VEDI BIKI

!
    What exactly do you want him to do? He distributes MS batteries, he doesn't manufacture them. Turns out, some batteries were bad. Nothing he can do to change that; nothing he could have done to prevented it. He finds out about a few defective batteries and institutes a voluntary recall, arranges for repalcement batteries to be manufactured and shipped to you free of charge. GEOMAN then suffers a supply problem because parts for the replacement battiers cannot be shipped from japan due to a natural disaster. GEOMAN then offers a highly discounted upgrade to a better battery at a very reasonable price.

Seriously, WTF is he suppossed to do? He can't ship you a replacement he doesn't have. You can order the upgrade, but chose not to. I wonder the age of most of the complainers on here. Maybe a few more years will teach you that in life ***** happens that you can't control...you just have to make the best of it.

Am I happy my replacements did not arrive promptly and I had to pay $50 for an upgrade? No. Was I unhappy with the wait, anxious and annoyed... You bet. Did I post venting my frustration?..yes. But I wanted to ride, and $50 is a pretty nominal amount as far as MTB parts go. I was happy I at least had the option to get something compatable with my present system to get back on the trail.

At a time when some companies won't even honor legitimate warranty claims on obviously defective products, I am not going to criticize a company that probably spent more than what I paid to replace a product that may or may not have been defective.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sent my upgrade form in w/ 50.00 on Tue and had a reply this morning that the order is being processed and will be shipped asap.

Wow, that was easy.

And I get a two 6.0 batteries to boot, not the 4.4.

By the way, GEO could have done like every other ebay seller or other sellers of this light. NOTHING!!!!!!!

MB

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I am also still waiting for recall baterries

So I received the recall notice in April, shipped the 2 battery packs I had back to Minneapolis MN on April 20th using Priority Mail.

No, I haven't contacted GeoManGear in all this time, figured they would get around to it sooner (or later?)..

Sooooo, almost 4 months now. I am worried. My 6pm start rides usually end by 8pm, but we are now losing daylight and we'll need the ights in a couple weeks. I purchased the 900 + 1400 lumen set (2 lights) last September I think , and sold my ancient Niterider Storm and a newer 3 month old Niterider last November.

I REALLY didn't want to spend more money for replacement batteries, but I broke down and spent $90 for 2 batteries off eBay . Just couldn't wait any more..... Now I will probably get the recall batteries next week in the mail... The way it goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

What a clown. Do you even realize that there were several other sellers of the Magicshine lights, and they are doing NOTHING for customers that had problems.
    Geoman is probably going broke trying to do the right thing, and they get people like you complaining.

Instead of *****ing, just go buy a replacement battery (magicshine or other) for about $30-45 and then when your replacement comes in, you'll have a spare. Problem solved.
    And if you're going to complain about having to put out another $30-45, understand that other light manufactures charge more for a battery then you paid for your whole light system!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what is the voltage on the magic shine
    I am giving up and going to build my own
    battery set up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Instead of *****ing, just go buy a replacement battery (magicshine or other) for about $30-45 and then when your replacement comes in, you'll have a spare. Problem solved.
    And if you're going to complain about having to put out another $30-45, understand that other light manufactures charge more for a battery then you paid for your whole light system!
    Actually you can get the whole light/battery/charger/mounts at DX for 45US$

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    7.4v...but you can buy the geoman upgrade for $25.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Actually you can get the whole light/battery/charger/mounts at DX for 45US$
    True , although without knowing whether those batteries are any different then the originals, I was talking in terms of going with a newer version (like the ones fully incased in plastic), or going with a custom built one (either DIY, or from one of the many sellers online).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    For those of you who did the upgrade, how long did it take Geoman to respond back to your initial request? I sent an email late last week asking what needs to be done to go the upgrade route since I haven't received the replacement batteries yet and I haven't heard from them. It seems like from a lot of the posts on here they were pretty quick to respond. I'm just wondering if they aren't offering the upgrade any more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Recieved 8/12 from an email sent 8/11:

Thank you for your interest in our battery upgrade program for eligible recall customers. That was a limited time program and it is not currently available. We hope to offer it again in September when we receive more inventory of the Geomangear 6.0Ah battery packs.

Thanks,

Geomangear Team

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Interesting.

I must have got in under the wire.

I ordered the upgrade last Tue. An email was sent on Thus that the order is being processed and shipped. Today in my mail box were the batteries.

This was fast and easy. I would highly suggest that if the upgrade option becomes available, you all hop on this asap.

Why. These batteries are WAY nice. They have the same casing as my Dinotte batteries. 800L/400L combo 479 dollars and they are 6.0.

As far as I'm concerned, GEO went above and beyond the call of duty in taking care of those of us that bought through him. His regular price for this battery is $84. Dinottes price is a bit less, I think $70 but that is a 4.5 battery if I remember correctly.

Bottom line. Just pay the 25 bucks when it's available again and do it asap before it is no longer available.

Now if someone can find me an adaptor connector so I can use these new 6.0's w/ my Dinottes I'll be happy all Winter long and I don't like the cold. Anybody know of such a thing.

Thx

MB

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    During my regular week -night group ride last week (in Southern California, 6:30 p.m. ride starting time) towards the end of the ride it became obvious we would be needing lights soon (like maybe even this week)

Alot of us in our group sent the claim form as soon as we got them thinking even if it took 3 months to get the replacements, we wouldn't need the lights during the summer's long day's anyway..

Unfortunately, the longer the recall shipments take, the more Geoman ends up in a no-win situation. Per their own admission two thirds of folks have not received their batteries yet. By around the time Daylight Savings Time ends, if Geoman hasn't shipped out a good portion of the remaining claims (or has not extended its upgrade offer which I agree is reasonable) those 2/3 of folks still waiting are gonna have to buy their batteries (or even perhaps a complete light-set) from a competitor just out of sheer necessity.

And that's gonna probably leave a real sour taste in their mouths no matter how loyal or patient they've been to this point.
    Last edited by osmarandsara; 08-15-2011 at 10:55 PM.

g3h6o3
    I received my receipt for the battery upgrade so I'm hoping to get mine soon. In the mean time I need to buy a 816 & two 818 rear lights and I'll skip on Geoman.

Sorry mate but I found this delay to be very long and, most of all, the communication to be very lacking. A bit of transparency about the process goes a long way. You should have setup a query system on the website to let people know how far they are on the recall list so they can make an advised decision. The fact that people with higher recall numbers than me have already received their batteries seems unacceptable although I have no clue how you attributed these IDs.

Explaining to people why it takes so long, letting them know what to expect and being transparent about the process would have meant we would still be doing business together. We can all be understanding but you must give us the opportunity to understand...

mtbr member
    I received my receipt for the battery upgrade so I'm hoping to get mine soon. In the mean time I need to buy a 816 & two 818 rear lights and I'll skip on Geoman.

Sorry mate but I found this delay to be very long and, most of all, the communication to be very lacking. A bit of transparency about the process goes a long way. You should have setup a query system on the website to let people know how far they are on the recall list so they can make an advised decision. The fact that people with higher recall numbers than me have already received their batteries seems unacceptable although I have no clue how you attributed these IDs.

Explaining to people why it takes so long, letting them know what to expect and being transparent about the process would have meant we would still be doing business together. We can all be understanding but you must give us the opportunity to understand...
    Hate to say but for every one customer like yourself that Geoman gear has lost because of this recall he has retained and gained probably 10 loyal customers and future customers by going the extra distance above and beyond what any other would.
    To think that a small family owned company like Geomans would have the resources and technology to perform all the tasks you require is asking a bit much.
    Enjoy your upgraded batteries when you get them you are getting a killer deal...
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    To think that a small family owned company like Geomans would have the resources and technology to perform all the tasks you require is asking a bit much.
    Really? I'm pretty damn sure you have no clue what you are talking about, this is a simple database query put up on their webpage, just like their up & running claim form. Replying to everybody and copy-pasting the same message takes a lot more time.

One way or another, I'm not bashing on them, just saying that they could have been transparent in the process and that I'm done dealing with them. Had they given me the information to make proper choices I would not feel fooled and would still be a loyal customer.

And seriously, I doubt they gained any clients with this recall...

mtbr member
    Really? I'm pretty damn sure you have no clue what you are talking about, this is a simple database query put up on their webpage, just like their up & running claim form. Replying to everybody and copy-pasting the same message takes a lot more time.

One way or another, I'm not bashing on them, just saying that they could have been transparent in the process and that I'm done dealing with them. Had they given me the information to make proper choices I would not feel fooled and would still be a loyal customer.

And seriously, I doubt they gained any clients with this recall
    I myself have bought another 3 lightheads from them since the recall and I personally know plenty more that have bought from him based on his customer service.

Why you feel fooled is your own issue sorry you feel that way but everyone had fair warning in November that they were going to have to send in their batteries to get replacements. its not unheard of for recalls to take 6 months to come to finish.
    Priorities must be made... I nightride a minimum twice a week and I had 6 batteries affected by the recall, the second the recall was announced I made the decision that I would not miss 1 night of riding because I know recalls take time. so I bought 6 battery packs from different sources and added MS pigtails. some will say well that's nice the dudes got the funds to do that, well I don't. I had to sell a bunch of my stuff on craigslist just so I could keep riding .
    Its a sad statement in our society when some have find negativity when someone is doing them right.

trail rat
    Its a sad statement in our society when some have find negativity when someone is doing them right.
    + rep Great attitude!

mtbr member
    Recieved 8/12 from an email sent 8/11:
    Thank you for your interest in our battery upgrade program for eligible recall customers. That was a limited time program and it is not currently available. We hope to offer it again in September when we receive more inventory of the Geomangear 6.0Ah battery packs.

Thanks,

Geomangear Team
    Good to know. Hopefully I am able to get one of the upgraded batteries instead. For $25, it sounds like a great deal.

If I sent my recalled battery in months ago, can I still send in the upgrade for when they are available again?

EDIT: It looks like I need to wait for the recall replacement battery to arrive here, then ship it back to them to get the upgrade. Do I have that right? Can't just tell them to skip that step?
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

g3h6o3
    I myself have bought another 3 lightheads from them since the recall and I personally know plenty more that have bought from him based on his customer service.

Why you feel fooled is your own issue sorry you feel that way but everyone had fair warning in November that they were going to have to send in their batteries to get replacements. its not unheard of for recalls to take 6 months to come to finish.
    Priorities must be made... I nightride a minimum twice a week and I had 6 batteries affected by the recall, the second the recall was announced I made the decision that I would not miss 1 night of riding because I know recalls take time. so I bought 6 battery packs from different sources and added MS pigtails. some will say well that's nice the dudes got the funds to do that, well I don't. I had to sell a bunch of my stuff on craigslist just so I could keep riding .
    Well you definitely have a problem when people's opinion diverges from yours. I'm tired of waiting so I opted for the alternative battery. Since I'm not satisfied with the CS I got during this recall process, I'm moving away from Geoman. That's a choice I made. I never said they sucked. I never said others shouldn't buy from them. I'm not trashing their reputation. What I am doing however is not buying from them anymore.

I'm sure they are doing their best to satisfy their customers but it failed for me. I have a 12H race coming up and cannot do it without lights. When I tried to kindly ask them if I could expect my light on time or if I should go the upgrade route they refused to share information. When I then said I'll order the upgraded batteries and asked them to package some other items I wished to buy at the same time, they refused. That's not how I like to be treated so I've chosen to look elsewhere for my gear.

It's not a matter of money, it's not a matter of time, it's a matter of treating your clients properly and being transparent on the recall process. I couldn't care less that you don't agree and no need to write your posts in bold.

mtbr member

Good job!

+1, "Priorities must be made", "I made the decision that I would not miss 1 night of riding"

Did I mention this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Restating the obvious...

I think all you folks complaining are funny. First off I rode with the recalled batteries (probably 10-15x's) after the initial notice. Keep an eye on them while charging, no worries otherwise. I recycled mine (have to admit I thought twice about it cause they worked fine) a couple days after the recall got to me, bought another cheap battery from him and have done another 8-10 rides I'm guessing with that battery. I'll happily drop $50 to get the upgraded battery (now) and continue riding into fall. I'm as strapped for cash as the next guy but riding at night is what I do, I set my priorities and spend my money where it hopefully benefits me the most. In this case it was upgrading.

Now I've got my upgrades, done another 3-4 rides with them. I also run the Y cable w/ 2 900's... plenty o' run time.

Had another awesome ride on Sunday although the damn full moon got in the way of viewing the meteor shower. Life sucks like that sometimes!
    Keep b!tch!n', summers almost gone but I'm ridin' into the fall...
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Well you definitely have a problem when people's opinion diverges from yours. I'm tired of waiting so I opted for the alternative battery. Since I'm not satisfied with the CS I got during this recall process, I'm moving away from Geoman. That's a choice I made. I never said they sucked. I never said others shouldn't buy from them. I'm not trashing their reputation. What I am doing however is not buying from them anymore.

I'm sure they are doing their best to satisfy their customers but it failed for me. I have a 12H race coming up and cannot do it without lights. When I tried to kindly ask them if I could expect my light on time or if I should go the upgrade route they refused to share information. When I then said I'll order the upgraded batteries and asked them to package some other items I wished to buy at the same time, they refused. That's not how I like to be treated so I've chosen to look elsewhere for my gear.

It's not a matter of money, it's not a matter of time, it's a matter of treating your clients properly and being transparent on the recall process. I couldn't care less that you don't agree and no need to write your posts in bold
    From what I understand the upgrades have to be handled separately then any other sales to satisfy the recall terms, + they don't charge shipping on the upgrades also.
    I like to type in bold I have bad eyes that way I can see what I wrote its not like I'm typing in CAPS if you look at any of my posts you will see that to be true. its OK nobody is yelling here.

When some one comes on a public forum and says they fooled me and they are not being transparent about something is in fact in a negative comment meant to sway others I cannot fathom you could take that any other way.
    Here is the thread you should be making your rant about Geomans customer service anyways Magicshine Light Argument Thread
    Last edited by Rakuman; 08-16-2011 at 11:56 AM.

g3h6o3
    When some one comes on a public forum and says they fooled me and they are not being transparent about something is in fact in a negative comment meant to sway others I cannot fathom you could take that any other way.
    As far as I'm concerned, it was advice to Geoman on how to better deal with the process should it ever happen again. I cannot fathom you could take that any other way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK....we get it Cil...you're PissedOff.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Here it is now mid Aug. Recall Web site says on 7/15 32% of recall packs shipped. On 7/20 35% shipped. Guess I am in the last 33%.

Problem is, I shipped my 2 packs in Early May - did not get a notice for an upgrade to 6.0 packs, got a tracking number, and the tracking indicated the packs were delivered to the PO Box - not no notice of who got them. AND I have no indication that anyone even have my packs or if I will ever see my replacement packs - No verification from Geoman - No response to my emails. Tired of waiting, I just spent $38 on ebay for a new replacement pack. Guess I can use it as a back up instead of the 6.0 upgrade.

g3h6o3
    OK....we get it Cil...you're PissedOff.
    It seems you don't get it, I'm not mad at all...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It seems you don't get it, I'm not mad at all...
    so wait, you're not PissedOffCil?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
    Here it is now mid Aug. Recall Web site says on 7/15 32% of recall packs shipped. On 7/20 35% shipped. Guess I am in the last 33%.
    32% on 7-15 then at 35% on 7-20. Don't add the 32 and 35 together. No way to know if "you are in the last 33%".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post
    Got my upgrade today. Case looks awesome. Took 8 days from when I sent the form in to them until the batteries arrived. So with shipping time on both ends that means they turned it around almost immediately. Thanks Geoman!

Ordered a XML head today and a Y cable. Will be able to do two on the bar and one on my helmet. Bring on Fall!
    rode with upgraded 6.0 packs last night. used two (on high) for 2.5-3 hours. came home, thought i'd run a full cycle on them, left them on when i went to bed (on low). woke up 6 hours later and they were still lit. wow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Another update from Geoman today on their website:

UPDATE (8/22/2011) - More Geomangear recall batteries arriving this week. Recall battery shipments can resume. Recall administrator will be contacting all customers by email this week who have filed and returned claims, to confirm that their claim has been received.

Estimated ETA:
    For claims received and validated by June 15, 2011, batteries will be shipped out by October 31st.
    For claims received and validated after June 15, 2011, batteries will be shipped out by December 31st.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow. So I have to buy batteries to ride at night this season.

mtbr member
    Hoo-ray ! Received the 4.5 geoman batteries today. Now the wait is on for the 6.0s
    Last edited by calzonical; 08-22-2011 at 05:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    Hoo-ray ! Received the 4.5 geoman batteries today. Now the wait is on for the 6.0s
    When did you send in your old batteries?

mtbr member
    When did you send in your old batteries?
    First week of May 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    got three 6.0 batteries today gave up waiting so I bought
    the 6.0s. already having problems with them
    first the wire coming form the battery is WAY to short
    and will not work so I. just tried to charge them
    and they will not charge when I plug them in it goes
    form red to green in 2sec plug them in the light head
    and I get a red light a on the light head
    I have one old Battery tired it to charge and it works
    right now I am ticked off should of kepted the
    old ones the wire on them were longer and at
    lest they always took a charge NOW I have 200 bucks
    worth of JUNK
    should have built own this is total B/S

GeoMan
    Hi Stingray

We need to replace your charger, please email geoman@geomangear.com and we'll ship you an updated charger today

Thanks
    GeoMan

Quote Originally Posted by stingray66 View Post
    worth of JUNK
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    worth of JUNK

mtbr member
    Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. Why does this process take so long? I'd like to ride at night sometime before next year...

If I want that to happen looks like I'll have to buy some more batteries. At this point it might make more sense to buy a complete lightset form another vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    Another update from Geoman today on their website:

UPDATE (8/22/2011) - More Geomangear recall batteries arriving this week. Recall battery shipments can resume. Recall administrator will be contacting all customers by email this week who have filed and returned claims, to confirm that their claim has been received.

Estimated ETA:
    For claims received and validated by June 15, 2011, batteries will be shipped out by October 31st.
    For claims received and validated after June 15, 2011, batteries will be shipped out by December 31st.
    "Got everything you need?"

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    I very much appreciate the update and firm delivery dates supplied by Geoman!

surly inbred
    'Validated' seems to be the key word. My **** was signed for on April 23rd at casa de Geo. This process is beyond ****ing annoying & now it's clear that I need to buy additional batteries if i intend to ride the next three months.

I wouldn't be nearly as agitated if I understood that this was treated FIFO.

*pissed at the process, not Geoman.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ok I think I found the problem
    having a red light on the light head
    and battery's were charged
    having problem with the male connection
    if I squeeze the wire in the end of the conection the light goes
    from red to green and goes back red when I let go
    So can I go to radio shack and buy a new male connection??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray66 View Post
    ok I think I found the problem
    having a red light on the light head
    and battery's were charged
    having problem with the male connection
    if I squeeze the wire in the end of the conection the light goes
    from red to green and goes back red when I let go
    So can I go to radio shack and buy a new male connection??

So it was the Lighthead Not the battery?
    I doubt RS will have them just buy a MS extension or a y cord from Geoman or ebay
    that's what I did when I made my own battery's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0