Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    hopefully mine come soon....i mailed my claim in on 4/20.....

fingers crossed.....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Maybe you really patient guys could email geoman and ask him to put you at the bottom of the list so the less patient among us could get our batteries and stop bothering you with our whining.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Or you could buy another battery and be riding and not complaining.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Or you could buy another battery and be riding and not complaining.
    I like my idea better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmm, I like to ride.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Jug...

What I think he (POG) is really saying is that he just likes to complain and feels he is deserves to be moved to the front of the line...
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I got mine last night! Thanks Geoman!

Question for those who have them, from someone who is admittedly an idiot (and hardly used the lights at all, since I bought them shortly before the recall): they're different in shape than the batteries I had, and they're not shaped to fit in the little neoprene sack of the old batteries. But they have a rubbery piece on them that looks like it was made to snug directly onto the frame. How are you attaching these?

mtbr member
    It should have came with a velcro strap if not hit Gman up.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    it did come with a velcro strap. Thanks for the pic!

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNoob View Post

By the time I get my batteries back I will have 4 Magicshines with good batteries all for less than some are paying for a single lightset.
    LMFAO
    You will need those 4 lightheads, 4 batteries and 4 chargers to have ONE GOOD FUNCTIONING light in a few months hahaha
    You could have gotten a real light and not have had the downtime for ALL THAT money
    oops
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    LMFAO
    You will need those 4 lightheads, 4 batteries and 4 chargers to have ONE GOOD FUNCTIONING light in a few months hahaha
    You could have gotten a real light and not have had the downtime for ALL THAT money
    oops
    Huh?

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    LMFAO
    oops
    I have only had 4 days down time... (during which I did not need my lights). Granted that I am currently only running 2/3s of the lights that I WILL be running once the batteries get back but I am currently running just has I did over the winter. (1 MS and 1 Torch)

And implying the my magicshine will stop working in a few months (maybe/maybe not)... My current magicshine does not show any signs of wear after a hard winter season of riding, I assume I will get 2-3 years out of this light set up without any problems...

So assuming that I only get 2 years out the setup... Lets break this down into dollars per rider per year of use.

I have $360 total in 4 lights and batteries, that is $180 per rider total, which means $90.00 per year per rider. That is for 2 magicshines and 2 good batteries for only $90.00 year. I spend more than that on bottled water.

Now your lights may last longer (most likely will) than 2 years (but really and truely my lights will most likely last longer too) but your batteries will NOT be much good after 2 years of hard use so your going to have to replace them for what $60-$70 (after shipping) each... And what happens when you have that wreck and break a light... You better not ride too hard with that fancy light, I would hate to see you WASTE ALL THAT MONEY!

If I wreck and break a $90.00 light that was already a year old (half of the total expected life I only lost $45.00)... I will feel it but I will be able to buy another and keep riding, but if that light was $400.00 (and only 1/3 its expected life I lost $266)... I don't think I could replace it.

So if we say your lights will last 3 years (and you are lucky enough not to wreck in 3 years)... Well you have$400 x 2 for (for 2 of your "quality" lights) so that is $800 plus replacement batteries at the end of year 2 so $65(between 60 and 70 shipped) x 2, so we just added another 130 ... This means $930.00 total divided by 3 years. So that is $310.00 per year per rider for your "quality" lightsets.

Hell to me that reads I can buy a new bike every 5 or 6 years just from the money saved using MS lights (6 years * 220 per year saved = $1320.00) and that is if I don't wreck in 6 years.

But I guess economics is no longer taught in school...

Go ahead keep paying more than 3 times the price for a product that is only 30% better... That makes alot of economic sense!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    FatNoob, I'm not so sure a high quality light is 30% better. Given the high quality replacement battery and top-notch Geoman customer service, I'd say you're being generous.

All, I got an email from Geoman almost immediately (within a day) saying he'd ship a new charger, at no cost to me.

For a cheap light that I got almost a year of solid use out of, that I now have a new, high quality battery as well as a new charger (on the way) for, I have no complaints and certainly no buyers remorse. I think it'll make an excellent helmet light with my BD Strykr w/wide angle lense on the bars.

BBW
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Harvard school?

I have only had 4 days down time... (during which I did not need my lights). Granted that I am currently only running 2/3s of the lights that I WILL be running once the batteries get back but I am currently running just has I did over the winter. (1 MS and 1 Torch)

And implying the my magicshine will stop working in a few months (maybe/maybe not)... My current magicshine does not show any signs of wear after a hard winter season of riding, I assume I will get 2-3 years out of this light set up without any problems...

So assuming that I only get 2 years out the setup... Lets break this down into dollars per rider per year of use.

I have $360 total in 4 lights and batteries, that is $180 per rider total, which means $90.00 per year per rider. That is for 2 magicshines and 2 good batteries for only $90.00 year. I spend more than that on bottled water.

Now your lights may last longer (most likely will) than 2 years (but really and truely my lights will most likely last longer too) but your batteries will NOT be much good after 2 years of hard use so your going to have to replace them for what $60-$70 (after shipping) each... And what happens when you have that wreck and break a light... You better not ride too hard with that fancy light, I would hate to see you WASTE ALL THAT MONEY!

If I wreck and break a $90.00 light that was already a year old (half of the total expected life I only lost $45.00)... I will feel it but I will be able to buy another and keep riding, but if that light was $400.00 (and only 1/3 its expected life I lost $266)... I don't think I could replace it.

So if we say your lights will last 3 years (and you are lucky enough not to wreck in 3 years)... Well you have$400 x 2 for (for 2 of your "quality" lights) so that is $800 plus replacement batteries at the end of year 2 so $65(between 60 and 70 shipped) x 2, so we just added another 130 ... This means $930.00 total divided by 3 years. So that is $310.00 per year per rider for your "quality" lightsets.

Hell to me that reads I can buy a new bike every 5 or 6 years just from the money saved using MS lights (6 years * 220 per year saved = $1320.00) and that is if I don't wreck in 6 years.

But I guess economics is no longer taught in school...

Go ahead keep paying more than 3 times the price for a product that is only 30% better... That makes alot of economic sense!
    Do you drive the cheapest 2-door car and wipe your butt with single-ply paper? if not it doesn't make any economic sense because they will both do the same as the other "quality" option
    One of my lights is in its 3rd year and let me tell you that is running as strong as the first day (well, better), I have upgraded the LED to the new technology (was a DYI). I expect my lights to last 10 years+
    On the other hand I have crashed HARD with them and even broke the front glass on time. I replaced the front cap/glass and back to looking like new (DYI too). Are you going to be able to find replacement parts for yours? well I guess it doesn't matter since you have 4 so you can cannibalize them to fix the broken one; probably you will end with 1 lighthead and 4 batteries after a few crashes? mine are very crashable (as a MTB light should be!) and will keep going strong for years AND keeping up with technology (that's why they are a good option IMO)
    Sometimes you can't put a price on things because its not the monetary value that counts but the satisfaction that they give you. Try sometime the triple-ply paper; I know it doesn't make much economic sense but I promise you it will make you smile (Just like my lights!)
    Cheers
    BBW. MS, RD

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Sometimes you can't put a price on things because its not the monetary value that counts but the satisfaction that they give you.
    Thats my thoughts exactly... I bought my lights to ride at night, NOT to brag about how expensive they were. So as long as they function well for riding at night why would I want to pay 4 times as much for them.

I don't drive the cheapest car nor do I drive a Porsche or other "Johnson Compensator". I drive the best "Total cost of ownership" car (a toyota at the time of my last car purchase).

I dont use single ply TP nor do I use the most expensive brand on the shelf. I use what works well for me because it is what is the best value for my needs.

I did not buy the cheapest light (or even the cheapest lightset). I bought the best value for my need to ride at night!

Economics is about "Over All Value" to the customer.

One of my lights is in its 3rd year and let me tell you that is running as strong as the first day (well, better), I have upgraded the LED to the new technology (was a DYI). I expect my lights to last 10 years+
    If bragging rights is what you value then you did good! And really you have already had to UPDATE your lights after 3 years (a cost not in the previous figure)... If you like DIY projects more than riding you may have made the right move.

But if value of the light was only to ride at night... You most likely wasted alot of money.

If you are having to "update" your lightset with new LEDs or other items after only 3 years... Do you really consider that to be a 10 year product purchase? If I bought a car and had to replace the engine only 33% through the expected life of the product I would be back at the manufacturer claiming they gave me a defective product. Now either they made a bad product or I seriously over estimated its expected life... Either way I would have to say that would be a bad purchase and a waste of my money. My money is very hard earned and therefore I try to plan every purchase.

How much time and money was spent (From research time to first use of the "updated" light)? Again I bought a light set to ride at night not work on it? And I plan to purchase a new lightset in 2-3 years which means what ever is the industry standard of product at that time will be what I buy (read between the lines that means AUTOMATIC UPDATE).
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by YosarianRem View Post
    I'm assuming you're talking about 24HIEF. I got so disgusted with "geoman" and the battery debacle at 24HIOP that we bought quite a few extra batteries. You are more than welcome to borrow a few during the race....we're Team Schadenfreude....should be easy to find. I'm waiting on replacements as well....not holding my breath. Good luck.
    Yes I'm talking about 24HITEF. I may be able to burrow my friends L&M Stella 210L but TBH I had one of those before and it doesn't put out near the light the MS does.

I may just come find you if my batteries don't come in on time. I have 3 batteries I'm waiting on :-/

Our team is called Waving At the Hunnies/1/4 Pale Goat.

Super excited for the race, it was a blast last year!

BBW
    mtbr member
    Thats my thoughts exactly...
    no need to go further then
    BTW I'm not bragging about their price; heck I haven't even mention the brand because it doesn't matter.
    enjoy your lights; I won't go deeper, we have different opinions and that is OK
    Also people drive Porsches even though a Nissan 370 cost half and goes faster... there's a market for everybody
    too much
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Thanks!

I got my new batteries last week. Thanks, Geo!

I was planning on storing the new batteries until the fall before charging them. Should I not charge them or should I fully charge them and test them out? I also have the older style battery charger. Do I need to worry about it not charging the new batteries?

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by el cap View Post

I was planning on storing the new batteries until the fall before charging them. Should I not charge them or should I fully charge them and test them out? I also have the older style battery charger. Do I need to worry about it not charging the new batteries?
    I am a n00b but my understanding is that these style batteries are better stored dis-charged. If it where me I would "cycle" (full charge then discharge it) to test it and the store it dis-charged. You would hate to hit the first week after time changes back to realize your battery was no good and have to wait on a replacement.

On the charger I think a new one is still shipping with the "orginial" battery charger. The problem was trying to charge the mismatched battery cells not the actual charger itself (at least that was my understanding).
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    enjoy your lights;
    Thank you... I will enjoy the rides that the lights allow me to take!

Enjoy yours (the rides and/or lights)!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by el cap View Post

They should be stored at approximately 40% of full charge. I use a hobby charger to discharge mine to the appropriate level (which is around 3.8v per cell). Not sure how you're going to manage the appropriate voltage without a hobby charger, but they should not be stored fully charged or fully discharged.

Many of the li ion packs I've received in the past have been delivered at the appropriate storage state. I have no clue how the geoman packs are arriving. Hopefully, I'll get mine soon and can check.

Edit: Without a hobby charger, I'd probably plug them into the light to ensure they function for a few seconds, then just store them without charging them up to capacity.
    Last edited by baker; 06-06-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    baker

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    The back of your MS can function as a very crued volt meter for the battery. Fully charge then Discharge until the back of your light turns Yellow or Red and now you know your at X% (A few different models have different % amounts).

The current model that Geomangear sells

Yellow 70 - 40%
    Red 40 - 1%

So you want to stop discharging as soon as the light turns Red... If you buy the DEMO light set or have an older you may need to stop shortly afterthe light turns Yellow (trying to guess where 40% is)

Yellow 50-25%
    Red 25-5%

If you have a set bought before the those 2 styles you will have to find refernce to that information.
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Got my replacement battery today. Been using a strykr and strykr pro since this winter so the MS now goes on my daughter's bike.

mtbr member
    Sent in the form on 4/20 received the replacement batteries today, 6/6 Thanks Geoman!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey Chiznitz....it appears I don't have enough posts to PM you....we'll have plenty of lights and batteries so count on it....heard only great things about last year....just got an email that they are looking for more volunteers, so we're going to roll in Thursday morning....see you there....

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast