mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Has anyone compared Magicshine to the Cygolite Mitycross 350?

I was going to get the Magicshine but being in Canada, shipping + exchange + duties means it is well over $150. I can get a Cygolite Mitycross 350 lumen locally for $230 meaning any warantee issues are easy to deal with. It also seems very well built and watertight.

Has anyone compared the two? I know the Magicshine is supposed to have around 500 lumen output, but I'm not sure how it compares with the Cygolite in terms of throwing / diffusing light (the cygolite seems very good at this, and makes the 350 lumens seem even more than it is).

This will be for riding on the road with a road bike. If the differences are negligible, I'll go with the Cygolite.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've read elsewhere the MS was measured by a poster (probably on CPF, but I don't remember for sure) to put out 550 lumens. Someone else, I think on these forums, indicated the factory specs for the P7 running at the MS current (2.4 amps?) was around 650 lumens. Therefore, I'd suggest the MS runs anywhere between the two, certainly more than 500 lumens.

You'd need the Cygolight and a DiNotte 200L to match the MS output.

That being said, 350 lumens is plenty for commuting, or any road riding up to the low-20 MPH range. If you're doing 40 MPH downhills, more light would definitely be needed.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper
    I've read elsewhere the MS was measured by a poster (probably on CPF, but I don't remember for sure) to put out 550 lumens. Someone else, I think on these forums, indicated the factory specs for the P7 running at the MS current (2.4 amps?) was around 650 lumens. Therefore, I'd suggest the MS runs anywhere between the two, certainly more than 500 lumens.

You'd need the Cygolight and a DiNotte 200L to match the MS output.

That being said, 350 lumens is plenty for commuting, or any road riding up to the low-20 MPH range. If you're doing 40 MPH downhills, more light would definitely be needed.

Those numbers are correct.

mtbr member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Geoman from Canada? Since he sells the M.S. this would be your best bet. The M.S with it's bright hot spot should make an excellent commuter lamp. At 2400ma on high you should see at least 600 real lumens.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I compare the two twice a week, every week! I'm running a Mitycross 350 on my helmet and a Magicshine on my handlebar. The Magicshine is a fair bit brighter. As far as I can tell, the colour of the light is pretty much exactly the same. I'm also from Canada and your estimates for a Magicshine of $150 are way off. I ordered 14 of them from DX and the final costs was less then $90 Canadian, including all shipping/duty etc. And I got them in 10 days. I also ordered 6 or so from Geoman, those came in at $110 Canadian including exchange/shipping/duty. I bought the Mitycross at MEC last year when Magicshines weren't really around, to replace an aging Niterider system. I'd recommend getting 2 Magicshines instead of one Mitycross. The Mitycross does have a much better battery sealing arrangement in a fully enclosed hard plastic and the quality of the light head is a bit better too. I'd still recommend the Magicshine though, as long as you're asking. If you're worried about custormer service/future warrantee I'd go with Geoman rather than DX. At this price I consider them "disposable" to a degree. If I get two seasons out of them I'll be more than satisfied.

Ron

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the info. The MS is $85 + $35 shipping (ouch) plus 9% exchange through Paypal + duty. Not sure how you managed $110 but I'll ask for a lower shipping rate.

Where do you mount the battery for the MS? I have some fat tubes on my road bike so not sure that case it comes in will work.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The "trick" to getting the costs down is to reduce the per unit shipping. Ask around and see if 5 or 6 of your friends might want to order lights. Put in a group order then split the shipping costs between all of you.

For mounting I bought a nylon strap to go around the battery and through the loops of the battery bag. Works great!