mtbr member
    Sep 2013

"Hardcore" Mnt bike light advice needed

I have back riding bikes for 2 years as a cross train for racing bikes with engines . Since the time change, riding after work is almost impossible for me unless you ride in the dark. I got talked into riding today after work with a friend, so I pulled off a nice surefire light from an AR-15, slapped some new batteries in it, duct taped it to my helmet and off we went, curious to see what all this night riding is about. I must say I wish I had done this before, especially during the summer.

So in the few hrs I have spent reading reviews, looking at websites, comments etc. I am overwhelmed actually by the number of lights out there.

I would prefer to have the two light setup, handle bars and helmet and as bright as possible without breaking the bank. We do bomb a lot of stuff and found myself riding just as fast tonight as I normally would during daytime.

A few lights I was looking at were the following.

Niterider Pro 2200 + Niterider Lumina 700
    Serfas TSL 2500 + serfas TSL-750
    Cygolite Centauri 1700

Any suggestions for some faster HD bike riding would be appreciated. I am sure there are a bunch others I might have not seen that may be a way better deal for lumens/$, if so let me know!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There was a similar thread a few weeks ago with some good lights
    Please Recommend a Light Setup

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If your friends have decent lights, you can just compare the beamshots from the 2014 light shoot out to the lights you are considering. You might want consider Glowworm lights, a lot of people really seem to like these. You could combo the Glowworm xs with the x2. I imagine that would be plenty of light for high speed riding.

You also have to consider the output of the bar light relative to the helmet light. A 2000 lumen bar light with 700 lumen helmet light might not work out for you. It's highly personal of course, but you might want 1000 lumen or more helmet light. Each person has their own magic ratio. Some people even prefer a brighter helmet light. Many prefer a brighter light on the bar in order to cast shadows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The glowworm XS was one of my options (forgot to post up), however, I didn’t know if it came with a helmet mount along with a bar mount. Looking a little more into it, it seems like it comes with both.

I saw some other good reviews on the Taz 1200 and 1500 bar lights. Just a little on the expensive side when comparing bar mounts since most of them are around the 500-800 lumens and about 85-175$.

In most of these new lights how many seasons of use do you get out of the rechargeable batteries?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A few years I believe. The really cheap stuff may only last a few months, but you are buying the good stuff which should last years. At some point they will just age out.

Advantages & Limitations of the Lithium-ion Battery - Battery University

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just bought a Trail LED XXX. It's a very nice little unit.
    If i had the extra budget, i would have bought the Trail LED DS.

Do some research on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    If your friends have decent lights, you can just compare the beamshots from the 2014 light shoot out to the lights you are considering. You might want consider Glowworm lights, a lot of people really seem to like these. You could combo the Glowworm xs with the x2. I imagine that would be plenty of light for high speed riding.

You also have to consider the output of the bar light relative to the helmet light. A 2000 lumen bar light with 700 lumen helmet light might not work out for you. It's highly personal of course, but you might want 1000 lumen or more helmet light. Each person has their own magic ratio. Some people even prefer a brighter helmet light. Many prefer a brighter light on the bar in order to cast shadows.
    The plan was to get a 2k lumen helmet light and a ~1k lumen bar light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    The plan was to get a 2k lumen helmet light and a ~1k lumen bar light.
    Since you are new to night riding, I would recommend that you also try swapping the lights around when you get them and riding with the bright light on the bar. It can't hurt. It will show the obstacles like roots and rocks better. The downside is that on a real curvy singletrack you bar light won't be pointed in the correct direction most of the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    ^^^^ Makes sense.

Would any one pick a Gloworm XS over a niteride 2200 pro?

Along with a bar mount light, Light n Motion taz 1200 or 1500

Just Ride !
    Gemini Olympia puts out a very nice beam and is pretty bright for how tiny the light is , I use it on my helmet and can't tell it is even on there except the little ball of sunlight that thing throws out .
    Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Xeccon Sogn 900 and Spiker 1211

After riding for many years with a set of HID Niteriders, a couple months ago I finally made the switch to LED and Li-ion.

Like you, I found that there were so many different options. After reading a lot of reviews, looking at comparison shots of beam patterns and digging thru the forums, I decided on the Xeccon product line.

For me and my riding style (tight, twisting single track with some sketchy downhill runs),I found these to offer the best cost/benefit ratio.

For the handle bar, I chose the Xeccon Sogn 900 Bike Light with Wireless Remote Control. Estimated nominal lumens is 1200+. It comes with a very sturdy alloy handle bar mount that can be easily removed. The handlebar mount is adjustable for various handlebar diameters. The waterproof battery is a 7800mAh Li-ion made by either Panasonic or Samsung.

One of the interesting features of this version of the Sogn 900 is that it comes with a wireless remote that you can mount to the handlebar or carry in your pocket. The remote has 2 buttons. The top button switches between the 4 modes: high, medium, low and strobe. The bottom button allows you to vary the output to the level you desire.

For more info/videos on the Sogn 900 Wireless or to purchase:
    http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.p...product_id=241

The Sogn 900 Wireless is also available from Amazon:
    Amazon.com : Xeccon Sogn 900 Wireless Control 2000 Lumen LED MTB Bike Light 7800mAh Samsung Battery & Robust METAL Handlebar Mount BSSŪ : Sports & Outdoors

Note that Amazon states that the output is 2000 lumens. But since this light has not been tested by mtbr and mtbRevolution states that it is 1200+ lumens, the Amazon rating is questionable.

What is not questionable is the great performance of the light. Output, beam pattern, stability and the 4+ hour battery life are great.

One design feature that may be a problem for some users is the length of the battery cable and the current lack of an battery extension cable. The Sogn 900 Wireless uses a non-standard 4 pin waterproof circular connector. The connector itself is very good. Just be sure that you have a place close to the handlebars to mount the battery. The total length of the cable from the LED light head to the Li-ion battery is 22 inches. I have mine mounted in my bottle cage.

Here are a few pictures:
    "Hardcore" Mnt bike light advice needed-img_0249.jpg"Hardcore" Mnt bike light advice needed-img_0251.jpg"Hardcore" Mnt bike light advice needed-img_0252.jpg"Hardcore" Mnt bike light advice needed-img_0253.jpg"Hardcore" Mnt bike light advice needed-img_0254.jpg
    "Hardcore" Mnt bike light advice needed-img_0250.jpg

For the helmet, I chose the Xeccon Spiker 1211.

Here's a review on mtbr:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ht-926557.html

The Spiker 1211 offered on Amazon comes with the 5200mAh battery:
    Amazon.com : Xeccon Spiker1211 850 Lumen Micro LED Handlebar and Helmet Bike Light with SAMSUNG Battery BSSŪ : Sports & Outdoors

The Spiker 1211 offered on mtbRevolution comes with the 2600mAh battery:
    http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.p...product_id=251

Extra batteries, chargers, o-rings and mounts for both lights can be purchased on mtbRevolution. mtbRevolution also ships to the USA.

Both of these lights use the Cree XM-L2 LED emitter. As a result, the color temperature is the same and the lights complement each other. The Sogn 900 offers a wide beam pattern with good throw and the Spiker 1211 has a really good spot beam that is neither to tight or to bright that it drowns out the Sogn 900.

I'm really enjoying riding with these lights...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The XS was one of my purchase finalists. Gloworm XS is smaller and more versatile than the Niterider. I saw an ad for the Pro2200 for $250. That was a steal. Based on the MTBR samples, the NR would be a great bar with its flood pattern.

Like I mentioned eariler. Check out the Trail LED DS. It might be a tad pricey but people claim there's no need for a bar light. The charge time is awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    ^^^^ Makes sense.

Would any one pick a Gloworm XS over a niteride 2200 pro?

Along with a bar mount light, Light n Motion taz 1200 or 1500
    I can't make any specific recommendation as I don't own either one of them, but I'm sure either one will work as they are both extremely bright.