Thread: Handlebar torch

Man up
    Sep 2010

Handlebar torch

Looking for one and I have narrowed down my options. I already have a MS900 on the helmet. Interested in spill (MS has plenty of throw for me), run time, and lumens (like everyone else).

Shiningbeam p-rocket 450+
    http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...-rocket/Detail

A 501b host with an SST-50 (or other comparable) dropin

DX SF-15

Is there a better dropin for the 501b host? Is the P-rocket as bees-knees as I think it is? This is my first torch purchase, and that lurking has my head spinning.

Jesse
    Last edited by orion_134; 12-23-2010 at 04:28 AM.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Man up
    Sep 2010
    bump
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Rob
    I have the same set up. MS on my helmet and a SSC-P7 LED 18650 battery flashlight(torch) on my bars. Works pretty good. The "torch"- flashlight is not a bright as MS on high. I'd say equal to between medium and low on the Magic Shine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/900Lumens-UltraF...item3a61454558

I got it off evil-bay for $23 +/- and then two18650 batteries and charger for $10 shipped.

Make sure you take both batteries on a ride! Each battery only lasts an hour, (in the cold-35 deg F or below)

I have also ran the torch on my helmet and the MS on my bars, I prefer this way for the light pattern, but the torch is wobbly on the helmet mount due to the weight and length. So I switched them back to the way you want to use them.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I may have misread somewhere, but aren't there better options than the P7 for efficiency? I thought I read that a P7-based torch murders batteries.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I use the DX SF-15 on bars. MS900 on helmet. They are equally bright, I can't really tell the difference between the two when I switch between them

I get over an hour of runtime on high (this includes shutting it off when we stop to regroup).
    I just bring a second battery and switch it out about 1/2 way through the ride.

Can't beat it for the price (think I paid $27, already had batteries and charger around from other torches).

Its got what plants crave
    There are way too many options, so I just chose the P7 that was cheapest, which I may regret. I was sitting there scratching my head and doing a little research but it's hard to find anything when the 501B model brings up tons of results for a completely different torch, and DX may or may not have completely incorrect descriptions. But if it's a P7 and uses 18650 batteries then I figure most of them have to have mostly the same internals right? Confusing as hell and I guess I should have gone over to the candlepower forums for more info if I'd been wise. I read some issues about them not working correctly with a fully charged battery, and some reviews said they overheat when left running but who knows.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org