• 11-13-2012
    VFRLuke
    handlebar light to compliment a Niterider Lumina 650
    Hello,

I recently picked up a Lumina 650, and I think it's pretty decent. after doing a little bit of reading in this forum, I'd like to run 2 lights.

I'm not wanting to spend a fortune, and I was looking at the options that action-led has on their website.

Would you guys recommend running the Lumina 650 on my helmet, and then getting something like a MS 808 on the bars, or one of those Gemini Titan's?

The other option would be to spend a little more and get the Gemini Duo, or MS 880. I don't really know how serious I'm going to get into riding at night, but I don't want to kill myself because I couldn't see.

Also what do you guys do for a tail light?

Thanks in advance
  • 11-15-2012
    VFRLuke
    bump.

are the gemini titan's any good?
  • 11-17-2012
    mtbRevolution
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    Hello,

I recently picked up a Lumina 650, and I think it's pretty decent. after doing a little bit of reading in this forum, I'd like to run 2 lights.

I'm not wanting to spend a fortune, and I was looking at the options that action-led has on their website.

Would you guys recommend running the Lumina 650 on my helmet, and then getting something like a MS 808 on the bars, or one of those Gemini Titan's?

The other option would be to spend a little more and get the Gemini Duo, or MS 880. I don't really know how serious I'm going to get into riding at night, but I don't want to kill myself because I couldn't see.

Also what do you guys do for a tail light?

Thanks in advance

Hi Luke,since you've posted your ques three days ago and I've seen you come by looking for a response. I will throw in my 2 cents. The Lumina 650 seems to be designed for throw but with a bit of flood from it's "NR only" reflector cup. Haven't seen how far it will actually throw besides a couple of identical shots on the net. If you have time could you post a shot of the beam?

If you are shopping from Action LED and want to spend as little as possible then MJ-808E and Titan (if the lens fit) with wide angle lens will be best since you want to diffuse it improve the beam width. Best not to have the bar light out throwing your helmet light.

Even if you are not sure if you're going to be serious about night riding, a man can always use a good light. It's always handy to have a light that is flexible enough for other uses ie. camping, walking, general duties - I wash my car in the night with a light on a headstrap.

Recommend spending a little more without using the wide angle lens. Base on your parameters the Duo is best because it already comes with a head belt and the battery is lighter than the MS. Turn it down to lower levels if it's looking as if the bar light out flooding the Lumina.

Of course there are more lighting options to consider.

Leonard
  • 11-18-2012
    VFRLuke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Hi Luke,since you've posted your ques three days ago and I've seen you come by looking for a response. I will throw in my 2 cents. The Lumina 650 seems to be designed for throw but with a bit of flood from it's "NR only" reflector cup. Haven't seen how far it will actually throw besides a couple of identical shots on the net. If you have time could you post a shot of the beam?

If you are shopping from Action LED and want to spend as little as possible then MJ-808E and Titan (if the lens fit) with wide angle lens will be best since you want to diffuse it improve the beam width. Best not to have the bar light out throwing your helmet light.

Even if you are not sure if you're going to be serious about night riding, a man can always use a good light. It's always handy to have a light that is flexible enough for other uses ie. camping, walking, general duties - I wash my car in the night with a light on a headstrap.

Recommend spending a little more without using the wide angle lens. Base on your parameters the Duo is best because it already comes with a head belt and the battery is lighter than the MS. Turn it down to lower levels if it's looking as if the bar light out flooding the Lumina.

Of course there are more lighting options to consider.

Leonard

Cool, I appreciate the response. I'm not deal set on getting anything from actionled, just looked like some decent deals on there.

I certainly wouldn't mind spending a little more on a light if there's an appreciable difference. The Titan P7 seemed like a really cheap light, and I haven't read the bad things about Gemini that I've read about Magicshine.

I was curious why you didn't recommend the Xeccon lights? Looks like they're affordable.
  • 11-18-2012
    mtbRevolution
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    The Titan P7 seemed like a really cheap light, and I haven't read the bad things about Gemini that I've read about Magicshine.

I was curious why you didn't recommend the Xeccon lights? Looks like they're affordable.

Hi Luke, Titans are fine. MS lights are driven harder and runs hotter than most lights in the market but reliability wise, they are ok.

I didn't mention Xeccon because you were asking for thoughts on the four lights from Action. If you have question about Xeccon, please let me know. Takes 3-4 days to get to the US via DHL.

Leonard