mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Handelbar Light to go with Piko 3 750

I just got the Piko 3 (750) and I am wondering if anybody could give me a good recommendation for a good light for the handelbar that is a good match.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Price range perhaps?

MS 872/856, DiNotte 1200L Plus, Serfas 1500, BD Double Striker, NR 1500 all more or less fit the desired 2 to 1 bar to helmet ratio. Lots of others I'm sure.

I have the MS856 and so far it's great. Time will tell but the price was right for me.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Saw the Baja Designs Double Stryker at 24 Hours of Moab, I was very impressed. More so than the other brands represented.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You should stick with Lupine, maybe a Wilma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I use a Magicshine MJ-872 on the bars, from Geomangear. Bought at same time as my Piko 3 and I think it's a great combination.

It's also a good experiment for me in terms of seeing the difference in quality between a Lupine and a Magicshine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    26 degree Wilma would be a great match and kick-a#$ combo, otherwise the Baja Double Stryker or Surfas True 1500 would also keep the high quality going.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the input.

Some of the bar mounted lights are very bright - would they "overpower" the helmet light - especially when pointed more towards the ground?

I am used to two HID lights - I used a spot beam on the helmet and a regular (wider beam) lamp on the bar. They both complemented each other as the helmet mounted light had more through - at the price of the narrower beam.

I truly appreciate the 22 degree Piko 3 though but still have to get used to the much wider beam and spill.

Also - is there any significant difference in color temperature between different lights that might result in an inferior match between Piko and bar light?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by juergenor View Post
    Thanks for all the input.

Some of the bar mounted lights are very bright - would they "overpower" the helmet light - especially when pointed more towards the ground?

I am used to two HID lights - I used a spot beam on the helmet and a regular (wider beam) lamp on the bar. They both complemented each other as the helmet mounted light had more through - at the price of the narrower beam.

I truly appreciate the 22 degree Piko 3 though but still have to get used to the much wider beam and spill.

Also - is there any significant difference in color temperature between different lights that might result in an inferior match between Piko and bar light?

You've already demonstrated that your personal value proposition leans toward high quality since you've already selected Lupine Piko... don't bother with Magicshine!

Many on the forum recommend an approximate 2:1 ratio for bar lumens vs. helmet lumens for 2 reasons...

1. Bar light should be brighter than helmet light in order to create shadows for dips and bumps on the trail to aid visibility and depth perception for those obstacles.

2. Helmet lights tend to have a more focussed beam than bar lights - so the actual brightness difference is not as great as the numerical lumen value suggests.

You mentioned that you're used to having two light with the same output... so, one way of matching intensity and color temperature would be to GET ANOTHER PIKO. And with the trick quick release mount, that tiny light would almost disappear on your bars - until you turned it on, of course.

Of course, as already suggested, you could stay within the Lupine family and get the sick new 26° Wilma XML (presuming the cost isn't a stopping point). The stupid new Wilma is brighter than my old P4 based Betty (man, I need an upgrade)!

If you don't really want or need double the brightness of the Piko that you'd get from the Wilma, you can run it at half power for extended runtime. However, if you ever did need the lumens... you've got them at your disposal!

Already mentioned NiteRider 1500 and/or 3000 has a great big bright spread of light... but I'm biased against their past history of some quality issues (connectors, flaky electronics) and their dorky approach for battery vs controller vs computer reset nonsense. (it may my different now, but that's my opinion).

So, if not the Wilma -- I'd have to recommend Baja Designs!

The Double Stryk is a light I wouldn't mind having on my handle bars... and if you ask nice, Shannon will prolly tell you their trade in program is still in effect which will get you an amazing 1 Benjamin discount. Three and a half bills for a claimed 1800 lumens (150 lux on MTBR shootout) would be a GREAT choice.

After reviewing François' backyard and trail beamshots - would have to say the Dinotte XML-3 looks to be worthy of consideration also!
    Last edited by abacojeff; 10-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What are your trails like? If they are tight and twisty like mine I would recommend the MJ-872for the bars. Big and smooth beam out of the box. I tried the Serfas 1500 an it was too spotty for my trails on the bar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abacojeff View Post
    You've already demonstrated that your personal value proposition leans toward high quality since you've already selected Lupine Piko... don't bother with Magicshine!

Many on the forum recommend an approximate 2:1 ratio for bar lumens vs. helmet lumens for 2 reasons...

1. Bar light should be brighter than helmet light in order to create shadows for dips and bumps on the trail to aid visibility and depth perception for those obstacles.

2. Helmet lights tend to have a more focussed beam than bar lights - so the actual brightness difference is not as great as the numerical lumen value suggests.

You mentioned that you're used to having two light with the same output... so, one way of matching intensity and color temperature would be to GET ANOTHER PIKO. And with the trick quick release mount, that tiny light would almost disappear on your bars - until you turned it on, of course.

Of course, as already suggested, you could stay within the Lupine family and get the sick new 26° Wilma XML (presuming the cost isn't a stopping point). The stupid new Wilma is brighter than my old P4 based Betty (man, I need an upgrade)!

If you don't really want or need double the brightness of the Piko that you'd get from the Wilma, you can run it at half power for extended runtime. However, if you ever did need the lumens... you've got them at your disposal!

Already mentioned NiteRider 1500 and/or 3000 has a great big bright spread of light... but I'm biased against their past history of some quality issues (connectors, flaky electronics) and their dorky approach for battery vs controller vs computer reset nonsense. (it may my different now, but that's my opinion).

So, if not the Wilma -- I'd have to recommend Baja Designs!

The Double Stryk is a light I wouldn't mind having on my handle bars... and if you ask nice, Shannon will prolly tell you their trade in program is still in effect which will get you an amazing 1 Benjamin discount. Three and a half bills for a claimed 1800 lumens (150 lux on MTBR shootout) would be a GREAT choice.

After reviewing François' backyard and trail beamshots - would have to say the Dinotte XML-3 looks to be worthy of consideration also!
    Great advice and great post - I can see you have quite a bit of experience. I will look specifically at the Double Stryk and their trade-in program.

You really made me also think about another Lupine light, very tempting. I have to admit that the little Piko has already motivated me to get out and ride after work more often despite the darkness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A friend rides with the older 500 Lumen Piko and a BajaDesigns Stryker (700 L) on the bars. This is a great setup as the BD gives a nice flood plus a a good spot. This Piko gives a great spot and throws like crazy. Both lights put out a nice white light as well. The BD lights are built like a tank

Not to be outdone myself (riding with an older Niterider Trinewt and Minewt) I just purchased the BD Stryker II (950 Lumen) and plan on adding the Piko 3 750 Lumen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the Piko 3 on my helmet and Baja Designs Stryker II on the bars and couldn't be happier.