Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Gretna Has The New Betty/Wilma.

For those interested, Gretna Bikes has the new 2600 lumen Betty/1500 lumen Wilma in stock. I originally was thinking of upgrading only the Betty as i wanted to keep the narrow beam pattern of my Wilma, but i see there are two 1500 lumen options for the Wilma 26/16 degree. So the 2600 lumen 26degree for my Betty, and i can keep a narrow 1500 lumen beam in my Wilma. That should be just sick and have a stupid amount of punch for high speeds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    When is enough really enough? 2500L on the bar and 1500L on the helmet might be a good starting point!

I dont think you'd need to look at anything else for a while!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I already have more than enough Chromagftw LOL, it's like a gambling addiction (just one more time) I don't know, will have to see the costs as i believe driver upgrades are necssary for both lights. But i know i will!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Damn. I take my eye off the website for a minute and what happens?

There is only one 1500 lumen option. The website main page is in error. If you go to the actual detail page there is a 26/1500, 22/1300 and 16/1200 selection.

So, what should I do? A wilma or two pikos or a betty? 1500 lumens be enough?

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    For those interested, Gretna Bikes has the new 2600 lumen Betty/1500 lumen Wilma in stock. I originally was thinking of upgrading only the Betty as i wanted to keep the narrow beam pattern of my Wilma, but i see there are two 1500 lumen options for the Wilma 26/16 degree. So the 2600 lumen 26degree for my Betty, and i can keep a narrow 1500 lumen beam in my Wilma. That should be just sick and have a stupid amount of punch for high speeds.
    So, the only question I still have is are your going to ride this with polarized or non polarized sun glasses?

You've already got an 1850 Betty, right? If I get the 1500 Wilma doesn't that pretty much light up the road like daylight?

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    JohnJ80 you have a new Piko, i think the 1500 lumen Wilma will be a perfect match, 2250 true lumens is all anyone would need up to 35MPH, of coarse the 26 degree Betty would step it up a even more and just fill everything up in front of you to 100 feet+. But remember your talking to someone who want's to upgrade from 2950 lumens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, I really don't want to layout the cash for a Betty. But so far I've hit all the steps from 200 to 1000 lumens. So one thought just says get it over with and just do it.

Not sure what to do. 2600 lumens ought to solve it.

J.

mtbr member
    No matter how much you have it will never be enough its like crack you might as well OD and get it over with.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

BBW
    mtbr member
    John, I have the 1850 Betty and the 1000Lm Wilma (old 830 upgraded to XPG)
    Just to give you an idea; I Usually dim the Betty to 60% when riding in dense bushes and the Wilma at 60% (gives me enough so see around the corners). That is roughly 1700 lumens and I'm extremely comfortable with that (and also have almost 5h of run time ;-)
    I guess that the Wilma with 1500 and 26 degree lens + Piko 750 would be and EXTREMELY nice set up on the "low end" from Lupine and enough for 99% of the time
    Off course, as always the more the better and you can always dim the lights and get longer burning times…
    I think that the Wilma with 1500 Lm in a 15-degree lens configuration is a typo maybe? The 15 degree is supposed to have XPGs and the internal upgrade to 19 W AFAIK so I think I read in the Lupine forum that was going to be around 1200 Lm....
    Indebt, I read somewhere in the Lupine forum (translating from google) that you need to bump up around 40% to really see difference in output (to make it really perceptible)
    SO..... unless you are planning to upgrade internals; Wolf doesn't recommend the upgrade if you expect a big increase in output with only swapping the LEDs/Lens. He says its worth it in the Wilma to get a wider beam for bar use for example. I'll wait for now and next year will upgrade internals in all 3 :-)
    I MUST RESIST for now... next year. 5000 Lumens!!!
    Cheers
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Since I have the old P4 based Betty rated at 1400 lumens (actual output approximately 1000 lumens)... An upgrade is in order!!!

I know the upgrades aren't out yet, but now that the XML based systems have hit the states, the upgrades can't be too far behind.

Only dilemma will be to decide whether to go with the 22 degree version with 4 XPG + 3 XML OR the 26 degree version with 7x XML.

I can't wait... And I hope beam shots comparing the 22 vs 26 degree are out soon to help me decide.

I know the output on the upgrades will be less than the full systems since the old units don't output the same watts - but I should be looking at approximately DOUBLE my current lumens!

But the catch is - increasing from approximately 1000 lumens to around 2000 lumens is a big step up... But sounds paltry compared to the 2600 of the new lighthead!

For now, I'll pair the Betty on the bars with either XPG Wilma or XPG Piko for the helmet light as the mood strikes... The extra light from the Wilma is nice but on the other hand the (lack of) weight of the Piko is equally tempting.

I don't expect to upgrade the Wilma at this time... Unless my 15 year old starts to join me on night rides - in which case an upgrade to the wider angle XML version might be in order.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    I think that the Wilma with 1500 Lm in a 15-degree lens configuration is a typo maybe? The 15 degree is supposed to have XPGs and the internal upgrade to 19 W AFAIK so I think I read in the Lupine forum that was going to be around 1200 Lm....
    Indebt, I read somewhere in the Lupine forum (translating from google) that you need to bump up around 40% to really see difference in output (to make it really perceptible)
    SO..... unless you are planning to upgrade internals; Wolf doesn't recommend the upgrade if you expect a big increase in output with only swapping the LEDs/Lens. He says its worth it in the Wilma to get a wider beam for bar use for example. I'll wait for now and next year will upgrade internals in all 3 :-)
    Just to clarify: to upgrade the internals to 26W/19W for the Betty/Wilma you have to send the lighthead to Lupine (or Gretna I guess), because it is not a DIY upgrade.
    It is also quite expensive, at 190E/240E plus postage, and the result is hardly noticeable if you stick to the XPGs....
    I doubt it will be worth it for anyone. Oh yes, another caveat is that this special upgrade is for the internal-switch versions only...

For those still with the P4-version of the Betty, they will be blown away by the upgrade to the XPG/XML, I'm sure... even the XPG Wilma is brighter than an old Betty... ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    John, I have the 1850 Betty and the 1000Lm Wilma (old 830 upgraded to XPG)
    Just to give you an idea; I Usually dim the Betty to 60% when riding in dense bushes and the Wilma at 60% (gives me enough so see around the corners). That is roughly 1700 lumens and I'm extremely comfortable with that (and also have almost 5h of run time ;-)
    I guess that the Wilma with 1500 and 26 degree lens + Piko 750 would be and EXTREMELY nice set up on the "low end" from Lupine and enough for 99% of the time
    Off course, as always the more the better and you can always dim the lights and get longer burning times…
    I MUST RESIST for now... next year. 5000 Lumens!!!
    Cheers
    Thanx BBW/JJ for the correction on the 26degree only 1500 lumen Wilma. Also if you info is correct BBW,i won't be sending my two systems in for a two watt increase, not now anyway as i've just taken my battery's out of storage for the fall riding season.If thats what is needed for the bump in outputs from what i have now, your right, best to wait until the betty needs a thirty watt driver.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am in the mood to upgrade as well. I cant decide which way to go, I could use a little help. I have the wilma 1100 and the piko 550. I was thinking I would definitely want to go with a wider lens on the wilma to loose the hot spot in the middle, I have always felt a little more flood on the bar is better. The wilma tended to drown out the piko and take a bit of time for me to adjust to see right around a turn, almost like snow blindness. Then I started thinking about moving the current wilma to my helmet and get the new wilma 22 for the bar. Thats sounds sweet. Naturally, this is leading me to just get a 22 betty for the bars and then use the wilma for my helmet. Its really a sickness. I think I will just go big and be done! I wonder how the 26* is gonna look.

JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2011 S works 29er 2x9
    2010 roubaix Elite, full RED group

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sickness is right.

I've been running my 750 piko along with my dinotte 1200L (about equivalent to 800 Lupine lumens) for about 1500 lumens out the front. I mostly road and dirt road (cross) ride so I'm pretty comfortable with var lights. I also really can't ride with a helmet light here until after the first frost - too many bugs are attracted to the headlight and it's annoying. So, I'm looking at the Wilma 1500/26 for the bars and then my Piko goes to the helmet in about a month to help make sure cars see me at intersections (I look at them and shine them with the light - works well).

The other thing that looks interesting is to add another Piko to the bars. That gives me a very adjustable beam with 1500 lumens in a small bar footprint.

Oh, what to do? Need to decide today.

J.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have a love hate relationship with piko. Great light, and I think 750 would be perfect with a wider Wilma. But I am really pissed I can't upgrade it. For that reason I won't buy another piko. The led tech is changing to fast not to be able to upgrade.

Jmc
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2011 S works 29er 2x9

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCCRNA View Post
    I have a love hate relationship with piko. Great light, and I think 750 would be perfect with a wider Wilma. But I am really pissed I can't upgrade it. For that reason I won't buy another piko. The led tech is changing to fast not to be able to upgrade.

Jmc
    I'm about to stop worrying about upgrade-ability. I'm going to sell the Betty anyway, it's just too bright for me (but it was the only Lupine so far with a wide lens option), based on my experience ~1000 lumens on the bar and half that on the helmet is all I need.

Hey - I could even make do with a single Magicshine and be happy about it - anything more than that is just a cherry on the cake ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok View Post
    I'm about to stop worrying about upgrade-ability. I'm going to sell the Betty anyway, it's just too bright for me (but it was the only Lupine so far with a wide lens option), based on my experience ~1000 lumens on the bar and half that on the helmet is all I need.

Hey - I could even make do with a single Magicshine and be happy about it - anything more than that is just a cherry on the cake ;-)

For me the upgrades are more about lens options and run times than brightness. I rode a niterider classic halogen for fifteen years, the new LEDs are plenty bright. Its nice to be able to widen the lens on the wilma and cut the power a bit, giving more runtime with the same light. The piko 550 is just a little off for the very tight, twisty single track I ride. I bet the 750 would be perfect with the wider lens, but I dont want to be locked into a fixed set up.

JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2011 S works 29er 2x9

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok View Post
    it's just too bright for me
    Did anybody ever think we'd hear or see that in print as recently as a few years ago?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Sickness is right.

I've been running my 750 piko along with my dinotte 1200L (about equivalent to 800 Lupine lumens) for about 1500 lumens out the front. I mostly road and dirt road (cross) ride so I'm pretty comfortable with var lights. I also really can't ride with a helmet light here until after the first frost - too many bugs are attracted to the headlight and it's annoying. So, I'm looking at the Wilma 1500/26 for the bars and then my Piko goes to the helmet in about a month to help make sure cars see me at intersections (I look at them and shine them with the light - works well).

The other thing that looks interesting is to add another Piko to the bars. That gives me a very adjustable beam with 1500 lumens in a small bar footprint.

Oh, what to do? Need to decide today.

J.
    John get the Wilma. That light is Lupine's signature; it will always be here and will have many DIYs to come. You said you are also into SAR so I think the Wilma is calling your name resistance is futile
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the push over the top. I'm going to order it now.

1500 lumens ought to be enough. With the additional 750 on the helmet (after the first frost), that gives me 2250 on the road/trail in front. Ought to be fine.

I would imagine we are getting very close to the end of the lumens war. Pretty soon this is going to turn into a size/feature battle.

J.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    John, great choice on placing the order for the Wilma. Looking forward to your findings once it arrives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Apparently what Gretna now has is a hyrbid version of the new lightset. The head is the new head, but the batteries are the same same batteries from the old lightset. Sometime in September, new batteries will be coming out. They will follow the plan of the Piko with a hard case and strap but with the addition of a built in fuel gauge LED set up. Apparently you will be able to configure the fuel gauge to operate as a tail light. (?!)

J.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^^^, all good and correct info John. I am waiting on the new batteries to show up and the packages to be updated to include the new batts and then I will do my big order.

Can any of you guys with both a betty and wilma do me a favor and post a pic of the 2 side by side for a solid size comparison? I am having a hard time visualizing the size difference of the heads.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The problem is that they are going to show up in October. For us here in MN, that's getting pretty close to the end of (reasonable) cycling season. I'm willing to ride down in temps to the 20's, but it gets to be a lot less fun when I have to put on the 1200 gram studded tires on the mountain bike. That happens sometime in usually mid November when our weather snaps over to winter. Night riding season for me runs from mid August to about November 1st or so, maybe stretched to the 15th. By Thanksgiving, it's ski season.

So, it's buy it now or wait until next year. Batteries are a consumable in a sense.

J.

mtbr member
    something I've found with my own lights is that a good ratio of bar to helmet lumens is ~2:1 - too much on the bars makes the helmet light kinda pointless as your eyes have to adjust too much to the dimmer light, too much on the helmet and the shadows wash out (the point of a bar light for me).

thankfully I make my own lights, so maintaining that ratio is a little easier/ cheaper, but it still applies.

obviously, that ratio depends on preference/ trail type/ phase of the moon etc

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast