Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 100
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,401

    Gretna Has The New Betty/Wilma.

    For those interested, Gretna Bikes has the new 2600 lumen Betty/1500 lumen Wilma in stock. I originally was thinking of upgrading only the Betty as i wanted to keep the narrow beam pattern of my Wilma, but i see there are two 1500 lumen options for the Wilma 26/16 degree. So the 2600 lumen 26degree for my Betty, and i can keep a narrow 1500 lumen beam in my Wilma. That should be just sick and have a stupid amount of punch for high speeds.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    691
    When is enough really enough? 2500L on the bar and 1500L on the helmet might be a good starting point!

    I dont think you'd need to look at anything else for a while!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,401
    I already have more than enough Chromagftw LOL, it's like a gambling addiction (just one more time) I don't know, will have to see the costs as i believe driver upgrades are necssary for both lights. But i know i will!!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    Damn. I take my eye off the website for a minute and what happens?

    There is only one 1500 lumen option. The website main page is in error. If you go to the actual detail page there is a 26/1500, 22/1300 and 16/1200 selection.

    So, what should I do? A wilma or two pikos or a betty? 1500 lumens be enough?

    J.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    For those interested, Gretna Bikes has the new 2600 lumen Betty/1500 lumen Wilma in stock. I originally was thinking of upgrading only the Betty as i wanted to keep the narrow beam pattern of my Wilma, but i see there are two 1500 lumen options for the Wilma 26/16 degree. So the 2600 lumen 26degree for my Betty, and i can keep a narrow 1500 lumen beam in my Wilma. That should be just sick and have a stupid amount of punch for high speeds.
    So, the only question I still have is are your going to ride this with polarized or non polarized sun glasses?

    You've already got an 1850 Betty, right? If I get the 1500 Wilma doesn't that pretty much light up the road like daylight?

    J.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,401
    JohnJ80 you have a new Piko, i think the 1500 lumen Wilma will be a perfect match, 2250 true lumens is all anyone would need up to 35MPH, of coarse the 26 degree Betty would step it up a even more and just fill everything up in front of you to 100 feet+. But remember your talking to someone who want's to upgrade from 2950 lumens.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    Well, I really don't want to layout the cash for a Betty. But so far I've hit all the steps from 200 to 1000 lumens. So one thought just says get it over with and just do it.

    Not sure what to do. 2600 lumens ought to solve it.

    J.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    830
    No matter how much you have it will never be enough its like crack you might as well OD and get it over with.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  9. #9
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,183
    John, I have the 1850 Betty and the 1000Lm Wilma (old 830 upgraded to XPG)
    Just to give you an idea; I Usually dim the Betty to 60% when riding in dense bushes and the Wilma at 60% (gives me enough so see around the corners). That is roughly 1700 lumens and I'm extremely comfortable with that (and also have almost 5h of run time ;-)
    I guess that the Wilma with 1500 and 26 degree lens + Piko 750 would be and EXTREMELY nice set up on the "low end" from Lupine and enough for 99% of the time
    Off course, as always the more the better and you can always dim the lights and get longer burning times…
    I think that the Wilma with 1500 Lm in a 15-degree lens configuration is a typo maybe? The 15 degree is supposed to have XPGs and the internal upgrade to 19 W AFAIK so I think I read in the Lupine forum that was going to be around 1200 Lm....
    Indebt, I read somewhere in the Lupine forum (translating from google) that you need to bump up around 40% to really see difference in output (to make it really perceptible)
    SO..... unless you are planning to upgrade internals; Wolf doesn't recommend the upgrade if you expect a big increase in output with only swapping the LEDs/Lens. He says its worth it in the Wilma to get a wider beam for bar use for example. I'll wait for now and next year will upgrade internals in all 3 :-)
    I MUST RESIST for now... next year. 5000 Lumens!!!
    Cheers
    BBW. MS, RD

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    107
    Since I have the old P4 based Betty rated at 1400 lumens (actual output approximately 1000 lumens)... An upgrade is in order!!!

    I know the upgrades aren't out yet, but now that the XML based systems have hit the states, the upgrades can't be too far behind.

    Only dilemma will be to decide whether to go with the 22 degree version with 4 XPG + 3 XML OR the 26 degree version with 7x XML.

    I can't wait... And I hope beam shots comparing the 22 vs 26 degree are out soon to help me decide.

    I know the output on the upgrades will be less than the full systems since the old units don't output the same watts - but I should be looking at approximately DOUBLE my current lumens!

    But the catch is - increasing from approximately 1000 lumens to around 2000 lumens is a big step up... But sounds paltry compared to the 2600 of the new lighthead!

    For now, I'll pair the Betty on the bars with either XPG Wilma or XPG Piko for the helmet light as the mood strikes... The extra light from the Wilma is nice but on the other hand the (lack of) weight of the Piko is equally tempting.

    I don't expect to upgrade the Wilma at this time... Unless my 15 year old starts to join me on night rides - in which case an upgrade to the wider angle XML version might be in order.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    I think that the Wilma with 1500 Lm in a 15-degree lens configuration is a typo maybe? The 15 degree is supposed to have XPGs and the internal upgrade to 19 W AFAIK so I think I read in the Lupine forum that was going to be around 1200 Lm....
    Indebt, I read somewhere in the Lupine forum (translating from google) that you need to bump up around 40% to really see difference in output (to make it really perceptible)
    SO..... unless you are planning to upgrade internals; Wolf doesn't recommend the upgrade if you expect a big increase in output with only swapping the LEDs/Lens. He says its worth it in the Wilma to get a wider beam for bar use for example. I'll wait for now and next year will upgrade internals in all 3 :-)
    Just to clarify: to upgrade the internals to 26W/19W for the Betty/Wilma you have to send the lighthead to Lupine (or Gretna I guess), because it is not a DIY upgrade.
    It is also quite expensive, at 190E/240E plus postage, and the result is hardly noticeable if you stick to the XPGs....
    I doubt it will be worth it for anyone. Oh yes, another caveat is that this special upgrade is for the internal-switch versions only...

    For those still with the P4-version of the Betty, they will be blown away by the upgrade to the XPG/XML, I'm sure... even the XPG Wilma is brighter than an old Betty... ;-)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    John, I have the 1850 Betty and the 1000Lm Wilma (old 830 upgraded to XPG)
    Just to give you an idea; I Usually dim the Betty to 60% when riding in dense bushes and the Wilma at 60% (gives me enough so see around the corners). That is roughly 1700 lumens and I'm extremely comfortable with that (and also have almost 5h of run time ;-)
    I guess that the Wilma with 1500 and 26 degree lens + Piko 750 would be and EXTREMELY nice set up on the "low end" from Lupine and enough for 99% of the time
    Off course, as always the more the better and you can always dim the lights and get longer burning times…
    I think that the Wilma with 1500 Lm in a 15-degree lens configuration is a typo maybe? The 15 degree is supposed to have XPGs and the internal upgrade to 19 W AFAIK so I think I read in the Lupine forum that was going to be around 1200 Lm....
    Indebt, I read somewhere in the Lupine forum (translating from google) that you need to bump up around 40% to really see difference in output (to make it really perceptible)
    SO..... unless you are planning to upgrade internals; Wolf doesn't recommend the upgrade if you expect a big increase in output with only swapping the LEDs/Lens. He says its worth it in the Wilma to get a wider beam for bar use for example. I'll wait for now and next year will upgrade internals in all 3 :-)
    I MUST RESIST for now... next year. 5000 Lumens!!!
    Cheers
    Thanx BBW/JJ for the correction on the 26degree only 1500 lumen Wilma. Also if you info is correct BBW,i won't be sending my two systems in for a two watt increase, not now anyway as i've just taken my battery's out of storage for the fall riding season.If thats what is needed for the bump in outputs from what i have now, your right, best to wait until the betty needs a thirty watt driver.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    219
    I am in the mood to upgrade as well. I cant decide which way to go, I could use a little help. I have the wilma 1100 and the piko 550. I was thinking I would definitely want to go with a wider lens on the wilma to loose the hot spot in the middle, I have always felt a little more flood on the bar is better. The wilma tended to drown out the piko and take a bit of time for me to adjust to see right around a turn, almost like snow blindness. Then I started thinking about moving the current wilma to my helmet and get the new wilma 22 for the bar. Thats sounds sweet. Naturally, this is leading me to just get a 22 betty for the bars and then use the wilma for my helmet. Its really a sickness. I think I will just go big and be done! I wonder how the 26* is gonna look.

    JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2015 Fatboy Custom
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

    Team RDC Cat 1

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    Sickness is right.

    I've been running my 750 piko along with my dinotte 1200L (about equivalent to 800 Lupine lumens) for about 1500 lumens out the front. I mostly road and dirt road (cross) ride so I'm pretty comfortable with var lights. I also really can't ride with a helmet light here until after the first frost - too many bugs are attracted to the headlight and it's annoying. So, I'm looking at the Wilma 1500/26 for the bars and then my Piko goes to the helmet in about a month to help make sure cars see me at intersections (I look at them and shine them with the light - works well).

    The other thing that looks interesting is to add another Piko to the bars. That gives me a very adjustable beam with 1500 lumens in a small bar footprint.

    Oh, what to do? Need to decide today.

    J.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    219
    I have a love hate relationship with piko. Great light, and I think 750 would be perfect with a wider Wilma. But I am really pissed I can't upgrade it. For that reason I won't buy another piko. The led tech is changing to fast not to be able to upgrade.

    Jmc
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2015 Fatboy Custom
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

    Team RDC Cat 1

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCCRNA View Post
    I have a love hate relationship with piko. Great light, and I think 750 would be perfect with a wider Wilma. But I am really pissed I can't upgrade it. For that reason I won't buy another piko. The led tech is changing to fast not to be able to upgrade.

    Jmc
    I'm about to stop worrying about upgrade-ability. I'm going to sell the Betty anyway, it's just too bright for me (but it was the only Lupine so far with a wide lens option), based on my experience ~1000 lumens on the bar and half that on the helmet is all I need.

    Hey - I could even make do with a single Magicshine and be happy about it - anything more than that is just a cherry on the cake ;-)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok View Post
    I'm about to stop worrying about upgrade-ability. I'm going to sell the Betty anyway, it's just too bright for me (but it was the only Lupine so far with a wide lens option), based on my experience ~1000 lumens on the bar and half that on the helmet is all I need.

    Hey - I could even make do with a single Magicshine and be happy about it - anything more than that is just a cherry on the cake ;-)

    For me the upgrades are more about lens options and run times than brightness. I rode a niterider classic halogen for fifteen years, the new LEDs are plenty bright. Its nice to be able to widen the lens on the wilma and cut the power a bit, giving more runtime with the same light. The piko 550 is just a little off for the very tight, twisty single track I ride. I bet the 750 would be perfect with the wider lens, but I dont want to be locked into a fixed set up.

    JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2015 Fatboy Custom
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

    Team RDC Cat 1

  18. #18
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok View Post
    it's just too bright for me
    Did anybody ever think we'd hear or see that in print as recently as a few years ago?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  19. #19
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Sickness is right.

    I've been running my 750 piko along with my dinotte 1200L (about equivalent to 800 Lupine lumens) for about 1500 lumens out the front. I mostly road and dirt road (cross) ride so I'm pretty comfortable with var lights. I also really can't ride with a helmet light here until after the first frost - too many bugs are attracted to the headlight and it's annoying. So, I'm looking at the Wilma 1500/26 for the bars and then my Piko goes to the helmet in about a month to help make sure cars see me at intersections (I look at them and shine them with the light - works well).

    The other thing that looks interesting is to add another Piko to the bars. That gives me a very adjustable beam with 1500 lumens in a small bar footprint.

    Oh, what to do? Need to decide today.

    J.
    John get the Wilma. That light is Lupine's signature; it will always be here and will have many DIYs to come. You said you are also into SAR so I think the Wilma is calling your name resistance is futile
    BBW. MS, RD

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    Thanks for the push over the top. I'm going to order it now.

    1500 lumens ought to be enough. With the additional 750 on the helmet (after the first frost), that gives me 2250 on the road/trail in front. Ought to be fine.

    I would imagine we are getting very close to the end of the lumens war. Pretty soon this is going to turn into a size/feature battle.

    J.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    225
    John, great choice on placing the order for the Wilma. Looking forward to your findings once it arrives.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    Apparently what Gretna now has is a hyrbid version of the new lightset. The head is the new head, but the batteries are the same same batteries from the old lightset. Sometime in September, new batteries will be coming out. They will follow the plan of the Piko with a hard case and strap but with the addition of a built in fuel gauge LED set up. Apparently you will be able to configure the fuel gauge to operate as a tail light. (?!)

    J.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    225
    ^^^, all good and correct info John. I am waiting on the new batteries to show up and the packages to be updated to include the new batts and then I will do my big order.

    Can any of you guys with both a betty and wilma do me a favor and post a pic of the 2 side by side for a solid size comparison? I am having a hard time visualizing the size difference of the heads.

    Thanks in advance.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    The problem is that they are going to show up in October. For us here in MN, that's getting pretty close to the end of (reasonable) cycling season. I'm willing to ride down in temps to the 20's, but it gets to be a lot less fun when I have to put on the 1200 gram studded tires on the mountain bike. That happens sometime in usually mid November when our weather snaps over to winter. Night riding season for me runs from mid August to about November 1st or so, maybe stretched to the 15th. By Thanksgiving, it's ski season.

    So, it's buy it now or wait until next year. Batteries are a consumable in a sense.

    J.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,334
    something I've found with my own lights is that a good ratio of bar to helmet lumens is ~2:1 - too much on the bars makes the helmet light kinda pointless as your eyes have to adjust too much to the dimmer light, too much on the helmet and the shadows wash out (the point of a bar light for me).

    thankfully I make my own lights, so maintaining that ratio is a little easier/ cheaper, but it still applies.

    obviously, that ratio depends on preference/ trail type/ phase of the moon etc

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    I agree with your ratio concept. Just the other night, I went riding with about 800 lumens on the bars and 750 on the helmet where I'd have them both on the bar before. Constantly getting surprised by holes and dips because I was completely blowing all the shadows that lend perspective.

    Last year, I was riding with about 200 lumens on the head and 800 on the bar, and that was a bit too little on the head but it worked fine for seeing in corners.

    J.

  27. #27
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    ^^^, all good and correct info John. I am waiting on the new batteries to show up and the packages to be updated to include the new batts and then I will do my big order.

    Can any of you guys with both a betty and wilma do me a favor and post a pic of the 2 side by side for a solid size comparison? I am having a hard time visualizing the size difference of the heads.

    Thanks in advance.
    For some reason I'm not getting the updates on this topic?
    Cue, I'll post some for you.. which angle would you like? with or without theme or background
    BBW. MS, RD

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    225
    ^^^. BBW, thanks for the offer. I was very fortunate to get a couple from indebt that was helpful.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,334
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I agree with your ratio concept. Just the other night, I went riding with about 800 lumens on the bars and 750 on the helmet where I'd have them both on the bar before. Constantly getting surprised by holes and dips because I was completely blowing all the shadows that lend perspective.

    Last year, I was riding with about 200 lumens on the head and 800 on the bar, and that was a bit too little on the head but it worked fine for seeing in corners.

    J.
    thanks I used to ride with just a helmet light (30W halogen, then ~800lm LED) and I had a terrible time on the rocks around here. Then I added my ~2000lm bar light and I could suddenly clear stuff I never had a chance of making before, just because of the shadows it cast. Went on a ride last night with my commuter light strapped to my helmet (my normal helmet light is in the middle of an upgrade) which is ~450lm and it was pretty crap. Better than not having it, but I had to turn down my bar light so that the two lights were better balanced.

    BTW, I'm v. jealous of you guys being able to afford Lupine lights though I'm glad people still appreciate (and can afford) such high quality lights!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    219
    what do you guys think about the 26 degree wilma option? I am leaning towards the 22 for my bar. Do you think the 26 would be too much wasted spill on fast, tight, twisty single track?

    JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2015 Fatboy Custom
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

    Team RDC Cat 1

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,401
    One could only guess without a beam shot comparison or a real world night ride demo,what the difference between the 22/26 degree options would be to one's eyes.What i can tell you is i think the extra 200 lumens the 26 degree option has, will just light up everything in front of your your front wheel and to the sides i bit more than the 22 degree would,and still give you the range the 22 degree has just because of the extra output. This is just a guess though as the two XPG's in the 22 degree are known for more punch down the trail.

    I think if you have a good helmet light in the 750/1000 lumen range, you would be splitting hairs on that decision.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    BTW, I'm v. jealous of you guys being able to afford Lupine lights though I'm glad people still appreciate (and can afford) such high quality lights!
    I can't really afford them either, but if I look at my train of light buying, I'm trying to get ahead of the curve and end the purchases long term. 1500-2500 lumens will do that, I think,. Then I'm done.

    One could only guess without a beam shot comparison or a real world night ride demo,what the difference between the 22/26 degree options would be to one's eyes.What i can tell you is i think the extra 200 lumens the 26 degree option has, will just light up everything in front of your your front wheel and to the sides i bit more than the 22 degree would,and still give you the range the 22 degree has just because of the extra output. This is just a guess though as the two XPG's in the 22 degree are known for more punch down the trail.

    I think if you have a good helmet light in the 750/1000 lumen range, you would be splitting hairs on that decision.
    Really, I can't imagine there would be much difference between 22 and 26 degrees. I mean, it's only 2 degrees on a side!

    My 1200L is probably a lot closer to 40 degrees. My 750 Piko is a beam about half as wide. In my view, all the Lupine lights tend to have narrow beams, relatively speaking.

    J.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaximusHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    660
    I think I would choose the 26 degree Wilma or Betty for the bars if I had to make a choice without seeing the beam shot comparison. I use a 22 degree 1,750 lumen upgraded Betty on the bars and although it does a great job, I wouldn't mind a wider beam. The 16 degree lens on the Betty was ridiculously narrow. In my opinion it is a no brainer to go with the 26 degree lens for the new Betty as otherwise the intensity of the light can be too much when it's not spread out enough. The Wilma helmet mounted, I am not sure yet what I would go with. Maybe the 22 degree for a good compromise. Still, I wouldn't make a big purchase like this yet until we get good comparison beam shots. I don't see any new options yet to upgrade the older Betty and Wilma, but I am happy with my upgraded 1,750 lumen Betty and upgraded 1,000 lumen Wilma so I wouldn't be upgrading anyway. I still don't like the integrated switch on the new light heads and I wouldn't trade mine for a newer brighter model b/c of that.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    I can't imagine that there is that much difference from 22 to 26 degrees. I mean, it's just two degrees a side from center line.

    Like I said, my Dinotte 1200L must have a 40 degree beam. That's noticeable from a 20 degree (approx) on some of my other lights. But two degrees? I'm having a hard time believing you could even tell by eyeballing it.

    J.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    219
    One other question. I really prefer the external switch style for the bars. Is there a significant difference between the external and integrated switch lamp heads? I know they have a slight decrease in lumens but is there any other difference?

    Jmc
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2015 Fatboy Custom
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

    Team RDC Cat 1

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    107

    Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by JMCCRNA View Post
    One other question. I really prefer the external switch style for the bars. Is there a significant difference between the external and integrated switch lamp heads? I know they have a slight decrease in lumens but is there any other difference?

    Jmc
    I don't know if 20% to 25% (my rough estimate) counts as a "small" decrease in lumens...

    But I do agree for now that I'll take the tradeoff in lumens to have the convenience of the remote switch.

    I don't know why some people don't like that option - with the Peppi holder on the bar, couldn't be easier to mount and I like the convenience of changing intensity without taking my hands off the bar. To each their own I guess.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by abacojeff View Post
    I don't know if 20% to 25% (my rough estimate) counts as a "small" decrease in lumens...

    But I do agree for now that I'll take the tradeoff in lumens to have the convenience of the remote switch.

    I don't know why some people don't like that option - with the Peppi holder on the bar, couldn't be easier to mount and I like the convenience of changing intensity without taking my hands off the bar. To each their own I guess.
    I am with you, the thing is so bright, and with the new updates its really plenty bright. I am talking to gretna now about ordering a external switch 22 or 26 degree betty. Apparently lupine still offers them and they can be sold with the latest LED/optics installed. I used a niterider classic for years and I kinda miss the remote switch.

    JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2015 Fatboy Custom
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

    Team RDC Cat 1

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    The remote switch is great on mtb bars. On road bars it would be a PITA.

    J.

  39. #39
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,183
    I like the external switch too; I have it on my (old upgraded 830) Wilma which I use on the helmet and I have a little velcro tape were I stick it so I just press the side of the helmet to switch intensity :-)
    The internal switch is very "slick" though
    BBW. MS, RD

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    383
    Beamshots of the new upgrades are UP:
    • Thema anzeigen - Mein Leuchtvergleich 2011
    (use google translate if you will, but the pictures speak for themselves...)

    I was riding with my old Wilma (the P4 version with ~500 lumens) the other day and I was shocked. The amount of light was barely sufficient, but man, was the beam fantastic! No hotspot, no artifacts in the beam, just an even pool of light, no helmet light necessary.
    That's what I fell in love with, and was missing with the XPG upgrades. Now I hope Lupine did their homework, because based on the beamshots above the quality of the lens improved a lot. We'll see...

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    691
    Thanks for sharing Radirpok, been eagerly waiting on these beamshots.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    225
    Thanks for the link.

    From the pictures though it seems that the 1850/22 XPG setup has just as wide if not just a little wider representation vs. 2600/26 XML setup. The 2600 setup does for sure put out more light.

    It could be the way the lights were aimed as well but when looking at the hoola-hoop and grass area leads me to my conclusion.
    Last edited by cue003; 08-30-2011 at 07:37 AM.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    Thanks for that link. This confirms what I thought - there is virtually no difference in beam size between 22 and 26 degree versions. however the 26/1500 is brighter.

    That said, beamshots on lights this bright against dark backgrounds are pretty much useless. Where you miss the detail is in the pattern of the beam as it falls off to dark. So this may not tell the story well either.

    J.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,401
    Raderpok, thanks for the link I've for the most part take photo comparisons with a grain of salt,but these seem pretty good as far as seing the differences in the beam paterns. It looks to me like the Betty 2600/26degree does have a bit more spread of light than the 1850/22degree has,as well as a little more throw as the trees in the background are more lit up. I had no luck translating the page so dont know if comments differ from the photo's. Conclusion for me is, if there are credible reviews confirming the photo differences between the 2600/1850 Betty it may be worth the upgrade even if the light has to go in to do it of coarse after the fall/winter riding season.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    What you will be seeing from those is that the side spill is not well represented nor is the intensity difference between them. What you can get from the beamshots is a sense of how much area the brightest center spot covers and the quality of the beam (hot spots and artifacts). Any comparison of how bright they are relatively or what the side spill near the edge looks like (to a fairly significant degree) will not be accurate. It's because of what your eye sees and how that is represented by a digital camera.

    J.

  46. #46
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    What you will be seeing from those is that the side spill is not well represented nor is the intensity difference between them. What you can get from the beamshots is a sense of how much area the brightest center spot covers and the quality of the beam (hot spots and artifacts). Any comparison of how bright they are relatively or what the side spill near the edge looks like (to a fairly significant degree) will not be accurate. It's because of what your eye sees and how that is represented by a digital camera.

    J.
    +1
    The camera will not capture the spill since it has to adapt to the huge amount of light
    that the center spot produces. Its very noticeable to me in the picture of the piko 550, which in no way its a representation of the light in person.
    On the other hand, the camera captures very well the spill of the Tesla and it also makes it look almost as the widest but I do believe is because of the weak intensity of the spill and the very small spot.
    At this levels of light, a pic is just a rough guideline of pattern.
    Cool pics though! in the translation said something along the lines that a Wilma 1500 with 26 lens looks like a Betty 1850 with 22 (don't quote me literally)
    BBW. MS, RD

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Cool pics though! in the translation said something along the lines that a Wilma 1500 with 26 lens looks like a Betty 1850 with 22 (don't quote me literally)
    When it was clear that Lupine would be coming out with XML versions... I wondered if Wilma would become so good it would make the Betty unnecessary except for the really hardcore or those needing 'ne plus ultra'

    I think it really has come to that.... Wilma should be good for 95% of us. But 99.9% would still want the Betty anyway (except Radirpok it seems).
    Last edited by abacojeff; 08-31-2011 at 03:23 PM.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    +1
    The camera will not capture the spill since it has to adapt to the huge amount of light
    that the center spot produces. Its very noticeable to me in the picture of the piko 550, which in no way its a representation of the light in person.
    On the other hand, the camera captures very well the spill of the Tesla and it also makes it look almost as the widest but I do believe is because of the weak intensity of the spill and the very small spot.
    At this levels of light, a pic is just a rough guideline of pattern.
    Cool pics though! in the translation said something along the lines that a Wilma 1500 with 26 lens looks like a Betty 1850 with 22 (don't quote me literally)
    Would those camera issues also exist in the same manor going old school (35mm)film? Don't know to much about photography.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Diamondback_X6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    78
    Has Gretna said when they expect the upgrades to be in stock?
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,082
    Digital cameras and film cameras are about the same for ability to see light intensity. Both of them can see about 5-6 f-stops (doublings) of light. Your eye can see 20-22 fstops (doublings). There is a HUGE difference between the two. So, once we get to light that is roughly 6 doublings brighter than night lighting, we exceed the ability of the camera to accurately portray it. Best guess from looking at my lights is that that happens around 300-400 true lumens so so.

    You can, however tell beam quality (artifacts, hotspots etc..) but you can't see which one is brighter and make a judgment by how much. You also can't see how it tails off into dark (spill) and make much of a judgment on that either.

    J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Betty Vs Wilma
    By eranpeled in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 06:33 AM
  2. XP-G Wilma and Betty upgrades?
    By WeakMite in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM
  3. Betty or Wilma with 18* Lens
    By Big Hustler in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 03:35 PM
  4. Wilma Or Betty?
    By ssuperx10001 in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 11:18 AM
  5. wilma or betty?
    By big horse in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •