mtbr member
    May 2008

Great compliment light to a MS900?

I have a MS900 which does a great job as a flood light. I'd like to add a torch with a lot of throw and use it as a helmet light. Is there a good torch from DX that would be a good compliment to the MS900? Also, are there any helmet mounts on DX?
    Last edited by bank5; 12-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm in the same situation. I ordered two torches from DX with the hopes that one would make a good helmet mount and the other could be a supplement for the bars or a loaner.

36356 UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650/1*17670) x1 Shipped $20.15

39359 UltraFire WF-501B MC-E (BIN M) 5-Mode 800-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) x1 Shipped $20.00

There was also a thread on here about a diffuser for the magicshine. I may go that route as well to really turn the MS light into a good flood light for the bars. I was riding with 2 x 20W halogens and they were much better at showing the full width of fire roads during fast descents. I'm waiting to see if one of the torches works well as a helmet mount before proceeding with this step.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I guess I should also say that I'm in DX shipping limbo at the moment!

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrion
    I'm in the same situation. I ordered two torches from DX with the hopes that one would make a good helmet mount and the other could be a supplement for the bars or a loaner.

36356 UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650/1*17670) x1 Shipped $20.15

39359 UltraFire WF-501B MC-E (BIN M) 5-Mode 800-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) x1 Shipped $20.00

There was also a thread on here about a diffuser for the magicshine. I may go that route as well to really turn the MS light into a good flood light for the bars. I was riding with 2 x 20W halogens and they were much better at showing the full width of fire roads during fast descents. I'm waiting to see if one of the torches works well as a helmet mount before proceeding with this step.
    I got the same torch as your 2nd one and also purchased this smooth reflector to give more throw. The intent is to use it as a helmet light with the smooth reflector, or switch back to the stock reflector and loan it as a bar light (I also purchased a couple of inexpensive bar mounts). The smooth reflector definitely gives a tighter beam pattern. Time will tell if it's to my liking (I haven't used it on a ride yet and still need to get a good helmet mount).

I got the idea from the "What DX torches do you like?" thread in this forum. There are other ideas for accomplishing a "throwier" beam.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i just receive the ultra fire, wf501B in the three mode. Let me tell you, its a POS!!!!! its all flood and very poor quality. its rated at 900 lumens. what ever DX. not even close to being as bright as my MS. I wish i could sent it back. Its not worth the $20, i think i would pay $10 max for this light. Please dont get it, you will be let down. dang, they ripped me off.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A guy I rode with the other day loves the trustfires - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095 . I was a bit pessimistic since they have a rating of just 230 lumens but he said they have great throw and their small size makes for a great helmet light. They're dirt cheap so I decided to pick one up (if anything I can use it as an emergency backup). I might also try something else...just wish shipping didn't take so long.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hernluis
    i just receive the ultra fire, wf501B in the three mode. Let me tell you, its a POS!!!!! its all flood and very poor quality. its rated at 900 lumens. what ever DX. not even close to being as bright as my MS. I wish i could sent it back. Its not worth the $20, i think i would pay $10 max for this light. Please dont get it, you will be let down. dang, they ripped me off.
    Settle down there, champy. First of all, the 501B is listed at 500 lumens. Not sure why you didn't shell out a couple bucks for one of the 900 lumen P7 models. And those (inflated) lumen ratings are from the manufacturer, not DX. You got what you paid for, stop blaming others for your mistakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    DX is a crapshoot, I think you need to accept that.

The pros:
    Invest 20-30 bucks and you have a charger, batteries, and mounts.
    $20-$30 for each light. Some will be duds, others will work well (I hope).
    Can be used as flashlights.
    You can customize your light duration needs by carrying extra batteries.
    Easy and cheap upgrades (via drop-ins or new torches).
    Easy and cheap battery replacement.
    Easy to use as loaner lights.

The cons:
    Heavier than bike-specific systems.
    Mounting brackets will not be as nice.
    Shorter runtimes (at least without swapping batteries).
    Long shipping times for replacements.

So you get a nice flexible system that can change as LEDs improve with limited cost. I ordered two lights. Hopefully at least one will work marginally well. I'll probably buy one or two more, possibly an XM-L.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancemac
    Settle down there, champy. First of all, the 501B is listed at 500 lumens. Not sure why you didn't shell out a couple bucks for one of the 900 lumen P7 models. And those (inflated) lumen ratings are from the manufacturer, not DX. You got what you paid for, stop blaming others for your mistakes.

I just got this one which is listed as 900 lumens with a P7 emitter, for 20.15. I hope I don't receive a POS but whatever, I was ordering some other crap from DX so it's not like I'll be out a bunch of money. It will always come in handy as a car flashlight if nothing else.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36356
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Let me see it when you get it, Jim.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    I am considering this as well. I have found that you can get better stuff with faster shipping and better customer service, presumably from US retailers, at comparable prices at the following websites:
    www.solarforce-usa.com
    www.shiningbeam.com
    www.lighthound.com
    www.sbflashlights.com

you can get a nice Solarforce L2 setup for about $30 each, some Rominsen flashes for $23-25 each, or some Ultrafires for $20 each from those sites. why bother with DX?

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    Let me see it when you get it, Jim.

I will. I just wanted a better mount and a brighter backup light. It was 20 dollars for the light and like 2 for the mount, and another 8 or 9 for a two pack of batteries. I already have a charger. For about 30 bucks I figured it'd be worth it. I needed a few odds and ends anyway from there and couldn't resist a new night riding gadget
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org