mtbr member
    Mar 2010

A good quick release handlebar mount light for commuting

I am riding to work, and it is already dark in the mornings now. I don't need an insanely bright light system, but I definitely want cars to see me (and seeing the road would be nice, too ) I'm looking for a durable, self contained light that I can easily remove from my handlebars when I lock up my bike. What do you recommend for a commuter on a budget?

Ex-Clydesdale
    What sort of budget are you looking at?

I use a light with an external battery, the upside is a long run time, the downside is it takes longer to remove than a self-contained light.

If the budget allows, I'd probaby go with a Cygolite or a Niterider, something like this:
    Amazon.com: Cygolite Expilion 350-Lumen USB Rechargeable Headlight: Sports & Outdoors
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    What sort of budget are you looking at?
    $100.00 would be my maximum

If the budget allows, I'd probaby go with a Cygolite or a Niterider, something like this:
    Amazon.com: Cygolite Expilion 350-Lumen USB Rechargeable Headlight: Sports & Outdoors
    That looks reasonable. I'll have a look at some reviews for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Niterider lumina 650

mtbr member
    Niterider MiNewt 350 cordless. Similar to the cygolite posted above, but with s nicer beam pattern, IMHO. I originally had the cygolite but ended up with a problem (can't remember what though) and exchanged it for the Niterider, which I like better. The mount is cheesy, but works OK. The unit slides and snaps in and off the mount nicely. They have an even higher version, 600, but 350 should be enough by your description. They had a 250 as well.
    If you find the cygolite for a lot cheaper than the Niterider, it is good, but if the price is similar, I would go for the Niterider. YMMV...

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Action LED Lights
    You could buy a MJ-808 and add the aftermarket quick release mount To make the Battery quick and easy to remove I use a frame top bag like the Planet Bike Snack Sack
    and just drop the battery into it. Pop the O-ring, grab the battery and go.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Budget flashlight with Fishlock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Second the niterider Lumina 650. Great light and easy to remove.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the cygolite 400 which I use for mountian biking. It'll work great and is less expensive than the nite rider
    Texas based trail builders: www.sstrails.com