mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Good night riding light

I am a San Diego based mountain bike lover and looking for advice on a good night riding light. I always ride during the day and since my business has been picking up a bit I am less able to do so. Any advice on a good light setup 300 dollars or under and are there any groups who like to night ride in sd, I ride a single speed 9er right now
    Mark Paolera
    Sddirthead
    President of Greenearth Window Services

mtbr member
    Support the locals and get a Baja designs Strykr
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Baja Stryker,, bullit proof light for sure. I would always recommend night riding with two lights as there is always a chance of a system failing no matter how good it is. If you can afford it, get two from Baja as they will last for many years,and are a good company to deal with.

Option B,there is a company called Gemini Industries that has a product called the Titan.It uses the same LED P-7, and is almost as bright as the Stryker.You get four hour run times on high setting as well.Best part is you can get two complete light sets for less than one Stryker and have the safety of running two seperate systems, one on your handle bars the other on your helmet.

mtbr member
    the only reason i didn't mention any of the Chinese made lights as to the fact most other than MS have not been on the market long enough to really say if there good or not. and right now until this battery issue is resolved i cant recommend MS
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Lupine Piko's another option around that money - v. nice looking helmet light. Stryker looks good too. Scar's Amoeba is also an excellent option for a bit less money; less polished than one of the big name makers, but you get more for your money. Troutielights are another gardenshed/ backyard option, though based in the UK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sddirthead
    I am a San Diego based mountain bike lover and looking for advice on a good night riding light. I always ride during the day and since my business has been picking up a bit I am less able to do so. Any advice on a good light setup 300 dollars or under and are there any groups who like to night ride in sd, I ride a single speed 9er right now
    Hi SDdirthead, Zumwalt's Cyclery runs a night ride out at Mission Trails on Tuesdays usually at 6:30 from the Father Junipero Road parking lot on the southern side of the park. North of the Border Bicycles also runs a night ride out of their nice new shop in Sorrento Valley on Tuesdays at 6:30 and then on Thursdays at 4:30.

Baja Designs gets out there as often as my schedule allows. Both shops should have a couple of our lights that you could try out on your own as well if you'd like to. Hopefully that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

The links are: www.ZCBikes.com and www.NBBikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Night ride replies

Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon
    Hi SDdirthead, Zumwalt's Cyclery runs a night ride out at Mission Trails on Tuesdays usually at 6:30 from the Father Junipero Road parking lot on the southern side of the park. North of the Border Bicycles also runs a night ride out of their nice new shop in Sorrento Valley on Tuesdays at 6:30 and then on Thursdays at 4:30.

Baja Designs gets out there as often as my schedule allows. Both shops should have a couple of our lights that you could try out on your own as well if you'd like to. Hopefully that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

I appreciate the responses, Im going to take a look at the baja lights, thanks for the response as to when the night rides are at as well
    Mark Paolera
    Sddirthead
    President of Greenearth Window Services

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sddirthead
    I appreciate the responses, Im going to take a look at the baja lights, thanks for the response as to when the night rides are at as well
    You are very welcome, it's good to help out a fellow San Diegan! This afternoon at 4:30 North of the Border Bicycles is doing their weekly night ride, we'll be there with demo lights and it's rumored that there will be free beer afterwards...hmmm...

Let me know if you ever need anything.

Shannon

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon

Hey Shannon, thanks for the info. You might also want to post this in the SoCal forum, "Night Riding in San Diego" thread. It was mentioned in there that BD is offering test lights on the NOTB rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk
    Hey Shannon, thanks for the info. You might also want to post this in the SoCal forum, "Night Riding in San Diego" thread. It was mentioned in there that BD is offering test lights on the NOTB rides.
    Yep, that's true, in fact I literally just got home from their super fun Thursday night ride, technical twisty fun! Wear a good helmet!