mtbr member

Good light setup? MJ-880 + helmet mounted light?

I've been wanting to get a good bike light for quite a while now and want to know some good suggestions. I've heard the MJ-880 is the best deal for your money, and have not determined what is a good helmet mounted spot beam. I've also heard nothing but good things about Lupine, but they're so expensive. I would like to know what the best two lights I can get for under $300 would be.
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Pick up 2 of these.

Get one of these for the handlebar light.

And you'll be set up with a great mix of flood (handlebars) and throw (helmet) for well under $100.

29er
    Apr 2010
    880 might be a little heavy on a helmet
    i have one mounted on my bars and a 808e on my helmet

Nompton, OK
    I also thought the 880 would be too heavy until I received mine and weighed it against an 808. I guess some of the published specs are a little off giving everyone a false sense that the 880 is so heavy, when it is in fact within a few grams (single digits) of an 808 in real life. I've confirmed this by weighing both at home on a gram scale. Here's another guy on youtube with the same results:

New Magicshine MJ-880 review from bikeempowerment.com - YouTube

Magic Shine 900 @ bikeempowerment.com - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've used the MJ-880 in two races now on the helmet. Never even knew it was up there. It is my first light, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Freakin bright. Cross country single track and the only time I really needed it on high was when in a long straight powerline portion.

Been dealing with Jim at Action LED Lights (cant post link, google search) and it's been a great experience so far! Very responsive to all my questions.

He has a spreadsheet on the website with the weights of magishine and gemini lights, it's pretty helpful when making weight decisions.

Hope that helps and good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah I second action led also. Jim has been great when I had a problem with an 808e he just dropped a new one in the mail and said send the old one back once I verify it was a light problem and not a battery problem.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about the Diablo for a helmet mounted light from Exposure lights, with the MJ-880 on the bars. I was thinking this would be enough for pitch black areas, but I want you guys's opinions
    Last edited by Muffinhead; 11-07-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
    I've been thinking the diablo for a helmet mounted light from Exposure lights, with the MJ-880 on the bars. I was thinking this would be enough for pitch black areas, but I want you guys's opinions
    I don't know what conditions you will be riding in, and this is my first light but I can't envision needing more light than the 880 going less than 40 mph. I annoyed my significant other when she was in the car last night at 100 yards coming at me on 100% brightness.