RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

is this a good feature for the MagicShine?

From the Geoman website: "Also included is an new type of thermal protection, the lighthead automatically reduces temporarily to approximately 200 lumens if it is in danger of overheating. When it has cooled sufficiently it resumes high output."

It sounds like a nice feature, but then I thought it might actually be bad if it happens during a fast descent...you guys think its a big deal or nothing to worry about?

mtbr member
    I think it's better than overheating, killing the light, and having ZERO light. Still not an optimal situation, which is why I run two lights.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not likely to happen on that fast descent. That's when there is plenty of airflow to keep things cool. You're only going to see the thermal dimming kick in on a slow climb in warm weather or while stopped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    Not likely to happen on that fast descent. That's when there is plenty of airflow to keep things cool. You're only going to see the thermal dimming kick in on a slow climb in warm weather or while stopped.

I agree. I think it a good feature provided it works as intended. Even if it kicked in at the start of the descent, 200 lumen is better than no lumen. People living in desert regions might not want one though if the setting is too low.

Dirt Deviant
    I think it's a good idea.
    As Vancbiker said, it is not likely to heat up when descending fast due to the airflow.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    It will only ever kick in if there is no airflow. I used my MS for an emergency light when the power went out at home. It stayed on full power for a good 10 mins before overheating and switching low. It took less than 5 mins to revert back to full power. However, while riding my bike, it has never happened. I guess if you stop your ride for a long time, it might happen, but if you aren't moving, why would you be wasting your battery running full power anyway, turn it down yourself.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    of course...sounds logical. thanks for the feedback.

GeoMan
    Good point Cat, we have tested this in Southern Arizona and have never seen the thermal protection kickin during a ride only when stationary for extended periods of time with the lighthead running on high.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I agree. I think it a good feature provided it works as intended. Even if it kicked in at the start of the descent, 200 lumen is better than no lumen. People living in desert regions might not want one though if the setting is too low.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com