mtbr member

Good Chinese flood for bars

I just ordered a SS X2 for my helmet, and am now looking for something a little more floody for my bars. I've spent some time going through most of the threads on the front page, but there are so many people whose technical knowledge far surpass mine, and I can't decipher a decent bar light for my needs.

Anyone care to help me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been looking for the same thing. Problem is, some people think the SS X2 is a good bar light with plenty of spill for their needs. From what I gather the D99 and variants with optics are the most floody, followed by the D50, and then the X2. I'm not sure where the triples and quads fall in but I'm sure someone will chime in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You could get any single led light that is the same size as a Magicshine, and then just add the wide angle lens from Action Led. This is what I do.
    Action-LED-Lights — Wide Angle Lens

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have the 808 clone with WA and love the beam pattern but the output is reduced too much by the lens. I would be real happy if I could have that same pattern with the full output.

mtbr member

I had this setup before my lights were stolen. I, too, didn't like how much it reduced the output.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought this light four or five months ago and have been really happy with it.
    USA Stealth Black 1600 LM 4 CREE XP G LED Bike Light Light Head Only 872 A | eBay

It's a Magicshine 872 clone. I would describe this as a broad flood beam with a bright hot spot. It's brighter than the 808. The only thing that sucks is the switches. They can hard to press, especially if the rubber part is misaligned.

Anyway, there's not much discussion about this light, but it's worked well for me. They sent it pretty fast also. Once they shipped it, it went from Honk Kong to USA west coast in a day or two. Then another week and half to get to the east coast.

We should probably have a separate thread on this light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I look at it this way, $30 for a single XML-T6 light, $5 for the wide angle lens, and end up with maybe 400 lumens (and I'm totally guesstimating on that number) of effective flood, I can't complain about that.

I'm all ears though if someone has suggestions for a brighter, full flood light in a similar price range though.

*Edit, I was typing when varider posted his suggestion. It's funny, I forgot I have that same light on my "watch list" on ebay. Look like a good option if you have a spare battery.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I bought four or five months ago and have been really happy with it.
    USA Stealth Black 1600 LM 4 CREE XP G LED Bike Light Light Head Only 872 A | eBay

It's a Magicshine 872 clone. I would describe this as a broad flood beam with a bright hot spot. It's brighter than the 808. The only thing that sucks is the switches. They can hard to press, especially if the rubber part is misaligned.

Anyway, there's not much discussion about this light, but it's worked well for me. They sent it pretty fast also. Once they shipped it, it went from Honk Kong to USA west coast in a day or two. Then another week and half to get to the east coast.
    Nice. This looks good. What battery are you running with it? That link is for light head only.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It has a standard magicshine connector. I mean it looks and acts exactly like the magicshine connector. So I used the battery that came with the 808. You can get those from action led for thirty or fourty bucks. Then I got a hard-shell xeccon for $50, also with the same connector.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another good thing about the light is that there is a lot of light between the front tire and hot spot. It also illuminates the trees way above you head. Maybe 20 feet up (those that are way out in front of you)

mtbr member

I suppose if you had any beam shots you'd have posted them already, right?

Also, do you think it'd balance the SS X2 okay?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, sorry, no beam shots. They are hard to do properly. I have to figure out how to mod my Canon point and shoot with custom firmware to give me full manual control. It's a lot of work but I may try to do it the future. No promises.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No idea about the ss x2, although I'm considering getting one of those also.

mtbr member

Isn't XP-G rather old? I wonder if there's an L or L2 version out there.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think there's such a thing as a xg-g2, but it relatively new.

mtbr member

This light business is harder to keep up with than the bike business.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For beam shots look at the 2013 shootout. It wont be for that exact clone, but it does have the MJ872 and 808. The beam on the 872 looks nice.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by robs31 View Post
    For beam shots look at the 2013 shootout. It wont be for that exact clone, but it does have the MJ872 and 808. The beam on the 872 looks nice.
    No kidding. One of the best wide patterns. Between a decent battery and the clone light head, one might be inclined to spend $20-$30 more and get a real MS 872. Probably smart to have a legit light, just in case something goes wrong with the SS X2.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The real 872 has some sort of heat problem. It starts out at 1200 lumens but then goes down to 900 after a few minutes. You can read about it in the light shoot-out thread. I'm not sure if the clone has the same problems even though I own the light. But the real light light is pretty expensive.

The 856 has better heat dissipation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I bought this light four or five months ago and have been really happy with it.

We should probably have a separate thread on this light.
    I just bought one of these based on your recommendation.
    It will replace a magicshine MJ-816 I got from Geoman a few years ago that crapped out on me.

mtbr member
    I've had it out on the trail a few times, and it kicks @ss!!!
    Thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I've had it out on the trail a few times, and it kicks @ss!!!
    Thanks for the link.
    Wow you got it already? Glad you liked it.

mtbr member
    They are shipped out of California now and I'm in Arizona.