mtbr member

Glowworm X2 software hung?

Hey all, My wife has been enjoying her Glowworm x2 for ultramarathon running. She has used it for 2 long races and some night runs. You may remember the panic in Corntina Italy when we needed to reprogram it for longer burn times, but all worked out Ok.

Naturally, we have another problem and little time to fix it.
    We're heading to the Canary Islands to run the Trans-Canaria, leaving today. Last night around 1am she connected the battery, the light turned on and she tested the levels but in trying to get to Special Mode dim the light turned off and now the light wouldn't turn on.
    She uses 2S1P with panasonic 3400maH cells. She tried several other batteries that all worked on my lights, and her batteries work fine on my XP2 and Nitefighter BT21.

One time the glowworm turned on but stayed at 1 level. The switch was unresponsive. Many other tries with the various batteries didn't work, but one time it worked fine, then nothing for many more tries. I tried holding the switch for 15 seconds for full reset, etc. too.

I assume there may be a problem with the remote switch, but could this be a software issue? Is there some hidden setting I am missing?
    I know Action-LED is excellent with warranty and repair, but I'm hoping it's a software issue we can fix.

At this point I'll just give her my other light, but she is a bit dubious and doesn't want a failure in the middle of the night in the mountains with a light she hasn't tested the heck out of. I'll give her a backup Gemini too.

It's a long shot request, but does anyone have a reset trick?

mtbr member
    Wow, Jim got back to me in minutes on a Sunday morning! Amanzing tech support.
    Here's his answer:

The most common problem we’ve seen is in the wiring harness. I would need you to send it in and I can replace it for no charge with a one day turn around. Since I see your in Canada that might take a while in shipping time unless you can easily get across the border and ship in the US.
    The only reset is to hold the button in for 15 seconds (from off) until the light starts flashing.

Action LED Lights
    The good news is we will have a new improved wiring harness available in a few weeks that should be a very durable repair.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to getting the light back with the new harness and switch on Barb's light.
    She used my Gemin Duo for the race, with my XP2 as backup.
    My friend Charlotte used her Glowworm from Action-LED for the 125k race and had my BT21 for backup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    The good news is we will have a new improved wiring harness available in a few weeks that should be a very durable repair.
    Have you had the opportunity to try the new remote button? I never cared much for the feel of the old one and depending on the cost (shipping/parts/labor) would consider upgrading if that service would be available and the new button functions better.
    Mole

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Have you had the opportunity to try the new remote button? I never cared much for the feel of the old one and depending on the cost (shipping/parts/labor) would consider upgrading if that service would be available and the new button functions better.
    Mole
    I haven't tried one myself. Should have them in a couple of weeks.
    Yes, we'll offer an upgrade. I'll work out details once they arrive.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Have they done anything to improve the issue with, "the going into program mode by accident", problem. I'm thinking about using my newest X2 on the bars of my road set-up. I had been using one of my older X2's with the multiple menu options. I opted not to use the newer one because I didn't want to deal with the issue of the, "accidental program menu" activation. If they have that issue fixed (?) maybe it might be possible to arrange some kind of trade-up ?

Action LED Lights
    No change to the programing at this point though it is being considered. I agree that it could be better but basically you just have to remember to wait 1 second between button pushes to avoid programing mode. (push - 1001 - push)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights