Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm XS are you getting one?

83K views 518 replies 81 participants last post by  Hakka 
#1 ·
I picked up a Gloworm X2 v2 Several weeks ago just in time for my last 24hr race and I was really impressed. I used it on the helmet and ran it on ether low or med for the single tracks and off for the climbs. I was able to get about 9hrs of life out of the one 4cell battery and never thought I needed more light.

On the bars I was borrowing a magicshine mj-856 which is probably got the best flood angle of any light ever but lacks a bit of throw. The mj-856 is a great bar light but there two things I think the XS would do better.

1. Remote switch: I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't adding this feature? Also hope the cable is long enough to reach my thumb.

2. Energy efficiency: with new advancement in emitter tech you get more light with less energy use so I can run a new light for twice as long with the same level of light as the old light using the same sized batteries.

Im already running dual spot lens in the X2 helmet light so I'm planning on running 3 floods in the XS.

Ive got a 12hr next weekend that runs into the night about 3-4 hrs so Im hoping Action LEDs get some in next week so I can test them out in what probably the last night race of the year.

See less See more
#106 ·
2nd ride last night 2.5 hours, XS on bar SolorStrom x3 on helmet. Great combo 3850 total lumens. Used my 6 cell Xeccon battery for XS and Gemini 4 cell for SS X3. Had all the light I will ever need !!

After the ride the XS would not turn off, it would go into the very dim mode as it should. I keep holding the button down but would not turn off, had to unplug it. Anyone else have this problem ? Maybe some moisture got in the crack in switch I don't know !! Got home then it worked fine.

#107 ·
Gloworm Remote tip

...After the ride the XS would not turn off, it would go into the very dim mode as it should. I keep holding the button down but would not turn off, had to unplug it. Anyone else have this problem ? Maybe some moisture got in the crack in switch I don't know !! Got home then it worked fine.
Interesting story. When I first started using the X2's I was worried I might experience some problems if I got caught in a rain shower. Since my job is related to the medical field I have unlimited access to latex ( surgical type ) gloves. I had the idea that perhaps I could wrap the remote button in latex and that would repel water and dirt.

Basically what I did was cut the end off the glove ( where the hand goes in ) I make it about 1" to 1.5" wide. Then I cut it in half. ( roughly about 6" long ) At this point I size it up by wrapping it around the button and around the bars. Once done I cut off any excess and then tie the ends together. Then I carefully put in around the bars. The latex will curl up like a rubber band, not to worry. When you have it in place you then carefully unfold the latex in the spot where the button is then wrap it over the remote button. The latex will cover the button right nicely and will fit like a ...well, glove...:smilewinkgrin: The down side is latex is fragile. At some point it will wear out and tear. If you get three rides out of one you've done well.

( * The latex will not interfere with the operation of the button. Another added plus is that the latex also helps keep the remote in place )

About the lamp not turning off: Not sure what that's about. Could've been just a glitch in the circuit. Moisture in the switch?...ehhh...maybe :skep: Unless it happens again I wouldn't worry about it.

#111 ·
...and I'll add more to what Action said; No matter what optic you choose to run your lamp ( on the bars ) you should never lose too much throw. The Gloworm lamps/optics do this very well. While it's nice to have lots of flood coming off the bars, if you lose too much distance throw in the process you also lose useability of the lower modes. Balance of spill / throw is key when choosing your optic or reflector bar set-up. If your going to err, better to err to the side of more throw but that's just my opinion.

#118 ·
LMAO....:lol:

...big time change of direction indeed! :ihih: Last night I took a ride in the cold and snow. Basically I was testing a Nitefire Hero2 ( 3-up XM-L U2 ) on the bars and the Solarstorm X2 (same) on the helmet. Makes a good combo but when I turn the H2 off and the Gloworm X2 (v3) on ( also on the bars ) there is a world of difference. The Gloworm's just have superior output and superior beam pattern.

Jim, while I have your attention; Are the upgraded versions of the X2 available yet with the longer remote wire?

#120 ·
Hi everyone,

I have purchased two Gloworm XS (one for a relative and one for me) and X1 and have just had a little time to try them out. I have charged both of them fully and have left them for a test run under a fan.

I turned on both of them at exactly the same time. However, just 35 minutes into the test, the battery indicator for one of them turned red.

Both Gloworms lasted around 2 hours on brightest. After that, the one with the seemingly faulty battery indicator switched to a lower power mode for 45 minutes and then turned off. The one that was working normally lasted for 2 hours 20 minutes+ on brightest and then about another 45 minutes after that after which it turned off.

Any ideas on what I can do about the battery indicator? Thanks

#122 ·
Hey,

In any situation that you are not sure about anything I'd recommend you get in touch with the shop or in country distributor to see if they can help.

In this situation, I would do as Gharddog posted and recharge to see if there is any variation to what you are seeing.

To get 2 hours on high is what should be expected in ideal circumstances. Battery discharge is varied depending on environmental factors.

Additionally the batteries indication is derived directly from the battery itself and has nothing to do with the light. The indication will vary slightly depending on the draw from the light however the voltage read is taken directly from the cells.

The light itself will drop down in brightness when the battery reaches a certain voltage, however this is also prone to variation based on resistance in the circuit.

The fuel gauge is a good indication but it will not give you % to decimal.

If you are not happy with the situation we will quite happily replace the battery, you'll just need to go through the shop/site you brought it from.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Bruce

#123 ·
Adding to this I would recommend using just one charger at a time to charge both batteries just to see if there is a difference when using different chargers. Quite possibly one of the chargers is not working right. If you still have the problem regardless of which charger is used I would try switching the batteries between the lamps to see if there is a difference when using different lamps. My bet is the problem is with one of the chargers and not the battery. Just make sure you mark the stuff and record the results so you don't get things mixed up.

#137 ·
Received the XS and WOW:eekster:. This light is very well built. The mount is very impressive and the throw is awesome. I set it up using SSS. The programming takes a little getting use to but all in all a killer light. It appears to have at least twice the throw of my Olympia. I would HIGHLY recommend this light if anyone is looking for a new light or replacing an old one. Think it's time to get rid of the Gemini's:cool:

And another first class service from Jim at Action led:thumbsup:

#138 ·
G-Dog, any "turn on" problems or issues with remote wire length? I'm surprised to hear that the XS out throws the Olympia but to be fair if the Olympia's had the option for a tighter optic they would likely do just as well. I think Gemini decided to go with 19° optics when 15° would of probably been the better way to go. That is one of the advantages of the XS, you get to choose optics if you want a different beam pattern.

I've thought about ordering another spot optic for my X2 (v3) but truthfully I really don't think I need it as long as I continue with it on the bars. Right now the X2 (v3) gives me more than I need but Might be interesting to see a "spot-spot" X2 (v3) set up on the helmet. I guess I won't know unless I try it.

#139 ·
G-Dog, any "turn on" problems or issues with remote wire length? I'm surprised to hear that the XS out throws the Olympia but to be fair if the Olympia's had the option for a tighter optic they would likely do just as well. I think Gemini decided to go with 19° optics when 15° would of probably been the better way to go. That is one of the advantages of the XS, you get to choose optics if you want a different beam pattern.

I've thought about ordering another spot optic for my X2 (v3) but truthfully I really don't think I need it as long as I continue with it on the bars. Right now the X2 (v3) gives me more than I need but Might be interesting to see a "spot-spot" X2 (v3) set up on the helmet. I guess I won't know unless I try it.
Cat,

You need to look at our new beam pattern test results

BEAM PATTERNS

You'll see that the XS has more than twice the peak beam intensity (throw) as the Olympia. But of course the Olympia has a wider beam.
Also, the X2/XS "flood" optic does nothing more than waste part of the light. The Spot-Spot (or SSS) setup is better in every way. (Gloworm has a little work to do here)

#142 ·
[QUOTE=Cat-man-do;11050338]G-Dog, any "turn on" problems or issues with remote wire length?

I'm not sure if this will help solve your turn on problems but it's something that won't cost anything to try so here goes. When I got my X2V3.1 I plugged in a battery and went through all the modes with no problems and posted the results. Real world, mounted on the bike using the provided velcro pads instead of pressing the remote between two fingers the results were far less consistent. Another mtbr member had recommended using a bar mount from an old Magicshine lignthead to provide a flat surface to mount the remote = back to flawless operation. The only other thing I did was to use a little more aggressive double stick tape on the MS mount. The o-ring MS mount also made it easier switching the light from bike to bike and put the remote within thumb reach on both my sram and shimano equipped bikes.

(QUOTE) I'm surprised to hear that the XS out throws the Olympia but to be fair if the Olympia's had the option for a tighter optic they would likely do just as well. I think Gemini decided to go with 19° optics when 15° would of probably been the better way to go. That is one of the advantages of the XS, you get to choose optics if you want a different beam pattern.

I'm so glad you mentioned this and hope Gemini see's it. While for me it was no big deal with my Olympia since it was my primary bar light but I was really expecting they would provide a tighter optic for the duo. I'll never understand why Gemini provides spot/flood/reflector options for their least expensive light (Xera) and nothing for their more powerful models.
Mole

#143 ·
Jim sent me a new XS under Warr. for the remote switch button problem. Cracked and not turning the light off on long 2-3 hour rides in cold 20-25 degree nights. The new unit has been fine, no problems.

I still do not like the button feel, not pronounced enough and needs improvement. I think it should be able to plug and unplug to the back of head unit, with an additional button also on mounted on head unit that would serve as battery indicator. The Glowworm battery should have charging port for cell phone "Epic rides". Serfas TSL-T1000 has all this, it's really nice. I may get one.
I light output on the XS is hard to beat, the handlebar mount is top notch, the size and weight the best out there !! Almost the perfect light, come on Gloworm !!

#144 ·
The Glowworm battery should have charging port for cell phone "Epic rides". Serfas TSL-T1000 has all this, it's really nice. I may get one.
I'll mention it here in case your not aware of it. The Magicshine MJ-6086 USB adapter allows you to use any battery with a Magicshine/Gloworm/Gemini type connector as a power bank. It has up to a 2 amp output which allows you to charge something as big as an I-Pad in the same time as a wall charger.

#147 ·
GD, which optics are you running? SSS I assume?

I ordered my XS last Thursday and it was shipped within ONE HOUR! (Excellent service and thank you, Jim!)

I assume the standard setup is SFS? I will swap mine out to SSS once I receive it (I will check out the beam pattern with the standard setup if it's not SSS first though).

#149 ·
Great. Thx for the quick reply!

From the info Action-LED provided it sounds like the SSS would still provide enough spill for trail rides. I can't wait for the snow to melt in the NE to hit the trails. I've tried riding my trainer with my X2 but it doesn't really make the ride more interesting!

I am very happy with the X2 (v1) and excited to see how the XS looks compared to it. I'm ready to be blown away....

#153 ·
Yep. Officially I am!

Firstly, a BIG UP to Jim and Action-LED. I actually ordered my XS last FRIDAY at 9:51 am and it was shipped at 10:49am. I got home last night and found it waiting for me in the kitchen!

Needless to say, I immediately hooked it up and compared to my X2 v1 (not that I had to compare it), it was just CRAZY. The beam seems whiter too, which I like.

Then I swapped out the stock flood lens with the additional spot and it got even better. For sure, the SSS setup is best for this light. I didn't find that I lost much spill, but the beam seemed more focused.

It's not the focused beam of a Lupine or even the Niteriders of late, but it's white and throws very far. The Lupine and NR IMO are actually a bit too tight (well, the ones I've seen or rode with - I know Lupine has diff options for beam angle). So this is in no way a knock on the brilliant XS. I actually PREFER the beam pattern.

I'm going out on the road tonight (can't wait) to enjoy the light. I have a 1:15 workout scheduled which I normally do on the trainer this time of the year. But it's going to be in the 40's and I want to blaze up the roads.

The other thing was the clear step up in brightness with each click (I would mostly use the trial (1 click activation) programme) of the remote. I couldn't believe how bright the light was going from MED to HIGH. I expected only a slight increase in brightness (the jump from 70% power to 100% is not as big as from 30% to 70%) but I was pleasantly surprised. This light brings it in spades!

I told my wife last night this would be my last light. Well, until I can get a light with much higher efficiency. Ultimately I would like a 2-cell battery lasting at least 1:30 on HIGH that I can mount on the helmet. Maybe in 5 years we'll get there with more efficient LED's and higher density batteries. For now, I'm set and just LOVE this light. I loved the X2, but this is a HUGE step up.

Two thumbs up to Gloworm for an excellent product and Action-LED for unbeatable customer service!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.