Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Wow impressive clarity throughout the beams length. Looks like you can scan up and down the trail at speed, without the distractions that come with lesser quality beams. Thanks GD!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    Wow impressive clarity throughout the beams length. Looks like you can scan up and down the trail at speed, without the distractions that come with lesser quality beams. Thanks GD!

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    I think you will be impressed. Gloworm developed an awesome light.
    I wish I had better equipment to take good photographs.

Jim is awesome !!
    Yep. Officially I am!

Firstly, a BIG UP to Jim and Action-LED. I actually ordered my XS last FRIDAY at 9:51 am and it was shipped at 10:49am. I got home last night and found it waiting for me in the kitchen!

Needless to say, I immediately hooked it up and compared to my X2 v1 (not that I had to compare it), it was just CRAZY. The beam seems whiter too, which I like.

Then I swapped out the stock flood lens with the additional spot and it got even better. For sure, the SSS setup is best for this light. I didn't find that I lost much spill, but the beam seemed more focused.

It's not the focused beam of a Lupine or even the Niteriders of late, but it's white and throws very far. The Lupine and NR IMO are actually a bit too tight (well, the ones I've seen or rode with - I know Lupine has diff options for beam angle). So this is in no way a knock on the brilliant XS. I actually PREFER the beam pattern.

I'm going out on the road tonight (can't wait) to enjoy the light. I have a 1:15 workout scheduled which I normally do on the trainer this time of the year. But it's going to be in the 40's and I want to blaze up the roads.

The other thing was the clear step up in brightness with each click (I would mostly use the trial (1 click activation) programme) of the remote. I couldn't believe how bright the light was going from MED to HIGH. I expected only a slight increase in brightness (the jump from 70% power to 100% is not as big as from 30% to 70%) but I was pleasantly surprised. This light brings it in spades!

I told my wife last night this would be my last light. Well, until I can get a light with much higher efficiency. Ultimately I would like a 2-cell battery lasting at least 1:30 on HIGH that I can mount on the helmet. Maybe in 5 years we'll get there with more efficient LED's and higher density batteries. For now, I'm set and just LOVE this light. I loved the X2, but this is a HUGE step up.

Two thumbs up to Gloworm for an excellent product and Action-LED for unbeatable customer service!

mtbr member
    Maybe a second xS for the helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Maybe a second xS for the helmet.
    Haha....actually I find the light provided from handlebar lights dissapointing. Just personal. I carry a NR cordless light as backup in case my primary light fails, so no worries there.

But this is my take. As you reduce the altitude of your light source, the light becomes less spread out. For instance, put the light on your helmet, then down on the floor/ground. On the ground even a powerful 2000 lumen light don't light up much.

Going from helmet height to handlebar height I find I lose so much light that I don't care for the handlebar light.

Again, this is just personal preference. I find my helmet light sufficient as a flood and spot even up to now I've wanted more throw. Maybe the XS addresses that too. From last night's experiment it might just.

Also, it's easier to setup just one light. I keep mine permanently mounted on a dedicated helmet with the extension cord. I just have to connect the battery, throw it in my jersey pocket and go. There's so much stuff to prepare for a ride as is that the extra light I get from a handlebar mounted light is not worth the effort for me.

mtbr member
    Just bought a xs. I'm ecstatic. I just got into MTB riding and since I plan of being real safe! a light was priority. Buying the best was simple enough.

mtbr member
    Good light but with rain velcros of remote switch power and battery lose some fixing.

Gloworm XS are you getting one?-dsc03569.jpg
    Looking for power lights?, see here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabcor View Post
    Good light but with rain velcros of remote switch power and battery lose some fixing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03569.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	881527
    I'm sure the light will bring you endless joy.

With weather improving on the EC, I'm getting out 2-3 nights a week now. This light just keeps on giving.

One of the other features I really love (first being the REMOTE - just won't do without this anymore) about this light is the 2 modes that either has 2 or 3 output levels. I find using the 2 level mode so much better than 3 levels, but the option is there if I need it.

And there is a big improvement in efficiency of the emitters over the original X2. I definitely get more run time on the XS (at an even higher lumen level) with the same battery.

Just LOVE this light.

mtbr member
    After using the XS for about a months now, I find that the light and battery life is amazing. I also use it on the road and I often will get someone flashing their brights. Lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperocity View Post
    After using the XS for about a months now, I find that the light and battery life is amazing. I also use it on the road and I often will get someone flashing their brights. Lol
    It's incredibly bright. I'd suggest putting the angle pointing towards the front tyre instead of straight ahead. Especially in the dark, it will absolutely blind drivers. Some just stop completely, haha!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davste View Post
    It's incredibly bright. I'd suggest putting the angle pointing towards the front tyre instead of straight ahead. Especially in the dark, it will absolutely blind drivers. Some just stop completely, haha!
    When using a lamp like the XS for the road it is best to not use the highest output modes unless they are really needed ( or no traffic is near you at the moment ). If you have a lamp that outputs 400 to 500 lumen, that is the maximum output that should be used for normal road use ( IMO ). This said there are moments when you might need the max output for your own protection. Fast curvy road down-hills with lots of trees and wildlife in the area are always a good reason to use a little extra light.

And speaking of wildlife while on the road; A couple weeks ago I ran into some rather unusual wildlife while riding on the local roads at night. Seems I had a run-in with a "Two-legged motorized egg spewer". Could of been worse, they only hit my rear fender. Why people do this kind of stuff is beyond me.

mtbr member
    Any other xs owners out there??

Action LED Lights

Gloworm Switch Mount

Gloworm has now come out with a mount for their remote switch. Attaching the flat bottom switch to a round handlebar with the included velcro patches has been a less than perfect solution. This new switch mount zip-ties to your bar to give you a secure, flat surface. There now standard with all Gloworm light or available separately if you need an extra or want one for an older light.
    Find it HERE

Gloworm XS are you getting one?-switch-mount.jpgGloworm XS are you getting one?-switch-mount1.jpg
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member

about the new button holder...

Interesting solution but I'm not sure it would work on my mountain bike...the shifter and brake levers would get in the way. While it would work on my road ( straight bar ) bike, the current Velcro strap system works fine. That's probably because on the road bike I'm using the older model of the X2 which has the longer remote wire. The button on my X2 (v3) ( on my MTB ) only reaches to my shifter pods so I have it mounted on the metal bracket that holds the pods. It moves around a bit because the bracket for the shifters is not flat but if I had one of those holders perhaps I could glue it to the bracket. Wouldn't mind having a couple to just to see how they might work.

mtbr member
    Why not just have a mini-rubber band mount so its easier to take on/off?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Why not just have a mini-rubber band mount so its easier to take on/off?
    Having several bikes I use my X2 on I have to agree. Better option from Action IMO is to get a bar mount for a MS808/Gemini Titan. It has a flat surface to attach the velcro/remote to and has hooks for any standard attachment band (works great for me!). Either mount should provide more consistent results using the remote and I'm glad Gloworm now provides something for better bar usage. Next improvement on my want list is a better flood optic.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Having several bikes I use my X2 on I have to agree. Better option from Action IMO is to get a bar mount for a MS808/Gemini Titan. It has a flat surface to attach the velcro/remote to and has hooks for any standard attachment band (works great for me!). Either mount should provide more consistent results using the remote and I'm glad Gloworm now provides something for better bar usage. Next improvement on my want list is a better flood optic.
    Mole
    That's a pretty good idea ( the plastic MS mount ) but I think it would likely make the button sit a little high. The new Gloworm button mount might be better as it is likely a little lower profile.

It turns out that they make reuseable / releaseable plastic zip ties. Find the right size and it should work. Still, they're just a couple bucks a piece so why not just leave the button mount on the bars. IMO it would be one less thing to worry about when you're getting your bike ready to ride.

~ ~ ~ So Mr. Mole, what don't you like about the current flood optics?
    ( what lamp / version are you using? ) The lamp I use X2 ( v3 ) is using the standard 1-flood / 1-spot set-up and I think it's almost perfect. It has so much a wider beam pattern than some of my other lamps ( with almost no loss of throw ) that I'd be hard pressed to find something better. Keep in mind that if you use a wider optic much of the light is going to wasted. That said, one of things I've noticed on some of my last rides is just how much the GW X2 throws light in a wide area. Light just goes everywhere, up, down, forward and to the sides. Beats all of my reflector based lamps for bar mounting hands down.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 07-29-2014 at 05:08 AM.

mtbr member
    An interesting option for optical lenses would be about as carrying the Magicshine Eagle 600 and Fenix ​​BT20 to not disturb oncoming cars and pedestrians.

Gloworm XS are you getting one?-sin-t-tulodd.png
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-dss.jpg
    Looking for power lights?, see here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabcor View Post
    An interesting option for optical lenses would be about as carrying the Magicshine Eagle 600 and Fenix ​​BT20 to not disturb oncoming cars and pedestrians.
    While all this is completely off topic I couldn't pass up the opportunity to point out something that you might not have considered. To be specific; There are people out there driving cars on the road who simply put; "Do not like cyclist, period". It doesn't matter to them what kind of bike you ride, what you are wearing, what lights or other safety gear you use and whether or not you are riding as far to the right as possible; All that makes no difference to these people. The fact that you are THERE and bold enough to ride in the road is enough to disturb them. That said it might be better not to worry so much about what might disturb someone because no matter what you do you aren't going to please everyone. Use whatever lights you want. If someone doesn't like the lights that I use they can kiss my..... Have a nice day.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    That's a pretty good idea ( the plastic MS mount ) but I think it would likely make the button sit a little high. The new Gloworm button mount might be better as it is likely a little lower profile.[COLOR="#FF0000"]

It turns out that they make reuseable / releaseable plastic zip ties.

~ ~ ~ So Mr. Mole, what don't you like about the current flood optics?
    ( what lamp / version are you using? ) The lamp I use X2 ( v3 ) is using the standard 1-flood / 1-spot set-up and I think it's almost perfect. It has so much a wider beam pattern than some of my other lamps ( with almost no loss of throw ) that I'd be hard pressed to find something better. Keep in mind that if you use a wider optic much of the light is going to wasted. That said, one of things I've noticed on some of my last rides is just how much the GW X2 throws light in a wide area. Light just goes everywhere, up, down, forward and to the sides. Beats all of my reflector based lamps for bar mounting hands down.
    1) I agree that was a great idea but not one I can take credit for as I read it in another post. I run my remote at the back of my bars so it's close to my thumb and I honestly didn't notice the height difference compared to the Velcro on the bars but the Gloworm mount does look like a lower profile.

2) Kool!

3) I have an X2 V3.1. I had a warranty issue and Jim sent me a new lighthead before I sent to old one back. I took the opportunity and compared one with 2 spots and one with 2 floods. I couldn't tell ANY difference in beam width, just that the spots had considerably more throw. The X2 is my favorite light and has great throw but less flood than my bad eyes need and even though I bought it as a helmet light, the remote and it's many other outstanding features/performance have spoiled me. With more effective flood optics another X2 W/2 floods or an XS W/2 flood 1 spot or maybe 3 floods would probable make a great bar light for me. For now I'll use my Olympias or the Taz 1200 I just got.

MOLE

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How do you tell the lens a part. I guess it is only because it came with more that I want to try the. I do not see any markings on the ones that came with the light and before I take the others out I figured I would ask.

Thanks
    Bruce

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacuslv View Post
    How do you tell the lens a part. I guess it is only because it came with more that I want to try the. I do not see any markings on the ones that came with the light and before I take the others out I figured I would ask.

Thanks
    Bruce
    The flood has a slightly frosted front. The spot has a clear front and a frosted spot in the center. The super spot has a clear front and a dimpled center.

Hope that helps.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does the light come with a super spot? I do not see one that looks like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    The flood has a slightly frosted front. The spot has a clear front and a frosted spot in the center. The super spot has a clear front and a dimpled center.

Hope that helps.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacuslv View Post
    Does the light come with a super spot? I do not see one that looks like that.
    Sorry, I was thinking of the X1 which has 3 choices. The XS and X2 use the same optics and there is just a spot and flood. (though I recommend just using the spots). The XS comes with 2 spot lenses in the outside positions and one flood in the center. It comes with and extra of each.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I haven't been happy with my Betty R (3600 lumen model) and have been considering "upgrading" to the XS for the following reasons: (1) The Betty's beam is not as wide as I'd like; (2) The wireless remote is sometimes finicky and requires two or three pushes to activate; (3) The connector between the light and the battery is not fully secure so the light occasionally "disconnects" and turns off during rough descents. Needless to say, for a $1K light these are not inconsequential complaints. Question for Jim @ Action LED: Is the XS light head compatible with Gemini batteries?

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast