Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm XS are you getting one?

83K views 518 replies 81 participants last post by  Hakka 
#1 ·
I picked up a Gloworm X2 v2 Several weeks ago just in time for my last 24hr race and I was really impressed. I used it on the helmet and ran it on ether low or med for the single tracks and off for the climbs. I was able to get about 9hrs of life out of the one 4cell battery and never thought I needed more light.

On the bars I was borrowing a magicshine mj-856 which is probably got the best flood angle of any light ever but lacks a bit of throw. The mj-856 is a great bar light but there two things I think the XS would do better.

1. Remote switch: I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't adding this feature? Also hope the cable is long enough to reach my thumb.

2. Energy efficiency: with new advancement in emitter tech you get more light with less energy use so I can run a new light for twice as long with the same level of light as the old light using the same sized batteries.

Im already running dual spot lens in the X2 helmet light so I'm planning on running 3 floods in the XS.

Ive got a 12hr next weekend that runs into the night about 3-4 hrs so Im hoping Action LEDs get some in next week so I can test them out in what probably the last night race of the year.

See less See more
#196 ·
Man, you guys are spoiled. The button on my old lights was on the battery packs. Most buttons on any other current lights are on the light housing. I can reach that button easily with the slightest shift of my hand while still on the grip. On a normal ride I would rather infrequently ever reach for it. Last night I changed the brightness a lot testing things it and never even considered the button reach an issue.

My lights only go on for night rides so I'm certainly not duct taping the switch on.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

#197 ·
Man, you guys are spoiled. The button on my old lights was on the battery packs. Most buttons on any other current lights are on the light housing. I can reach that button easily with the slightest shift of my hand while still on the grip. On a normal ride I would rather infrequently ever reach for it. Last night I changed the brightness a lot testing things it and never even considered the button reach an issue.

My lights only go on for night rides so I'm certainly not duct taping the switch on.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Spoiled? Uhhhh, I don't think so. BTW, that looks like a very nice bike you have all the bling mounted on, I bet it cost a pretty penny. Nice looking Garmin, bet those don't come cheap. Nice looking road bike in the background, those racing wheels?.....can we say "Cha-Ching"? ;) *cough*....now about being spoiled, perhaps you might want to rethink pointing that finger in our direction.

Anyway, I was just trying to be helpful. Not all of my tips are going to work for everyone, I already know that.

#214 ·
I have GW X2 on helmet for second year in row.Plenty of light but i definitely need another light on steering bar.
Ordered new X2/XS combo 7th,oct from same dealer as the first one.Crgmoto.
Cant wait it to arrive..Royal (P)mail as courier is not my favorite ay all.
No tracking code or reply to e-mail from Crg moto.Are they out of lights or business?

#207 ·
I ended up with two XS's, one on the bar and one on the helmet. Results are amazing! The trails now are as bright as daylight. I have to dim them on the street though as the splash back from street signs is blinding, and likely a bit annoying to the few motorists I see.

#213 ·
I'm just about to pull the trigger on some Gloworm lights. I've decided on XS for the handle bars but I am torn between XS and X2.V3 for the helmet. I am concerned that the X2s on the helmet will be over powered by the XS on the handlebar. But I am also concerned that the XS will be too heavy on the helmet. The price difference is inconsequential. I mainly ride fast single track with rocky sections.
Any advise would be appreciated.

#215 ·
XS or X2

Personally I would get the X2 to go with the XS. Although the XS would be fine and is not too heavy for a helmet light, the X2 can have a much more focused beam and would be better for looking where you are going when your bars are pointing down the trail.

We designed the XS to be used with the X2 for maximum effectiveness.

Hope that helps somewhat?

Bruce
Gloworm NZ

#218 ·
You want the more powerful light with the wider beam on the bars anyways to fast shadows behind the rocks you want to avoid. If your helmet light is to powerful then where ever you look you'll be drowning out the shadows and the trail definition will become vague. If you run an XS on the bars then you don't want an XS for the helmet unless you want to run it at 60% the output of whatever you have your bar XS set to. Just go with the X2 and save weight and money. It'll also simplify the setup since you can just run both lights at the same %setting and achieve the preferred balance.

#229 ·
I haven't looked at the 2015 reviews yet but judging from the 2014 reviews there should be no major differences. The back yard photos are limited by distance. In that environment they both look the same. You need more distance to notice the difference. This is one of the reasons why I have not run out to buy an XS for the bars as I personally don't feel the need for more light coming off the bars while using the X2 (v3). If I did buy an XS it would be in an attempt to get more light coming off the helmet and shining far into the distance. Since I'm not sure how that would work that's the only reason I haven't bought one.

#239 ·
Been riding with my XS for a couple of weeks thus far. Initially, I was honestly a little bit disappointed with the beam pattern, as I tend to favor lights with more flood than throw. Despite action-led's review proclaiming the futility of the gloworm flood optics, I did go ahead and switch out to two floods and a spot. Maybe it is a placebo effect, but I like it better. Sitting up and looking at the bars from a few feet back, the flood effect is impressive. Even rounding switchbacks, the trail ahead is lit more than enough. I am pretty dang happy with the light now, and I think it will be perfect for 90% of my night riding which is on snow in deep winter.

The light output is definitely very impressive, and I have had multiple passersby comment on it already. Bombing down a trail balls out on high feels completely comfortable. Comparing it to my Magicshine MJ-856, the XS is quite noticeably brighter on high, but the 856 is floodier. I also like that I can mount the light far forward of the bar, so it does not blind me when I stand up while climbing. Finally, even on high, the light stays nice and cool while riding. It will heat up and kick down if you leave it stationary for a long time, but given its form factor and output, I am amazed that it stays as cool as it does.

I do, however, have two criticisms of the light.

First, the arrangement and length of the remote and battery cables is quite flawed. Why would you have two cables, which obviously have completely different destinations, come out of the light together and then split many cm later? The remote is headed to the end of the handlebar, while the battery hookup is clearly headed back towards the frame. I can understand if you only want one cable exiting the light body for sealing reasons, but they should split immediately. With the current arrangement, the cables end up awkwardly bridged under the handlebar and are in danger of being contacted by an errants knee. I have difficulty even getting the cable to reach my battery when the bars are turned. I am hoping that this scenario does not cause issues when running pogies. On the plus side, I do like having the remote more than I anticipated. Makes it super easy to dim the light for oncoming traffic, but more for hikers that appear out of nowhere and are easily blinded.

Second, the battery indicator is grossly inaccurate. I raised this issue with action LED, and Jim states that it is a known issue related to the increased draw of the XS vs the X2. Basically, the light blinks less than 20% after only an hour of use on high, however it will go another hour when runtime tested. After runtime testing it, I feel more comfortable, but it is still disconcerting when you are way out there and you have flashing red. Apparently they are working on new endcaps for the battery. For now, my solution is to put the battery in a neoprene case, which is fine because I think the stock velcro strap is inadequate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.