Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    the X2 or XS needs to go on sale already.
    The days are getting shorter...i need to be tempted to buy one.

mtbr member

Re: Gloworm XS are you getting one?

Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    zjchaser,

Are you aware of the switch mount Gloworm is providing with all the lights now? There are a couple of foam strip on the underside and two black zip ties are included

Attachment 925250
    Ya, I have seen those. Looks good. I just happen to have tons of those other mounts laying around. I'll order one of the new switch mounts from you with my next order

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    AJ

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOWL View Post
    the X2 or XS needs to go on sale already.
    The days are getting shorter...i need to be tempted to buy one.
    They are on sale!
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Took my new Gloworm X2 out for a test ride tonight, on my helmet, it's like getting Lasik, awesome.

Thanks Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    They are on sale!

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have GW X2 on helmet for second year in row.Plenty of light but i definitely need another light on steering bar.
    Ordered new X2/XS combo 7th,oct from same dealer as the first one.Crgmoto.
    Cant wait it to arrive..Royal (P)mail as courier is not my favorite at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    *cough* group buy

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I ended up with two XS's, one on the bar and one on the helmet. Results are amazing! The trails now are as bright as daylight. I have to dim them on the street though as the splash back from street signs is blinding, and likely a bit annoying to the few motorists I see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I ended up with two XS's, one on the bar and one on the helmet. Results are amazing! The trails now are as bright as daylight. I have to dim them on the street though as the splash back from street signs is blinding, and likely a bit annoying to the few motorists I see.
    4500lumens
    Last edited by Gharddog03; 10-13-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

mtbr member
    Nice!!

I have the XS/X2 combo from ACTION-LED, kind of nice not having to bring clear glasses for when it gets dark, just my "medium" ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Riding with the XS/X1 combo from Action-LED. X1 makes for a great helmet light - super tiny with a nice fairly wide spot beam and great throw. XS on the bar lights everything up. Nice ordering from Action-LED - super fast shipping and great service.

mtbr member
    Just bought mine yesterday. Should have it in a few days to take over for my Olympia 1700 which my battery died on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What is the XS run time with:
    1. Magicshine 4 cell battery
    2. Gloworm 2 cell battery

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm just about to pull the trigger on some Gloworm lights. I've decided on XS for the handle bars but I am torn between XS and X2.V3 for the helmet. I am concerned that the X2s on the helmet will be over powered by the XS on the handlebar. But I am also concerned that the XS will be too heavy on the helmet. The price difference is inconsequential. I mainly ride fast single track with rocky sections.
    Any advise would be appreciated.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    I have GW X2 on helmet for second year in row.Plenty of light but i definitely need another light on steering bar.
    Ordered new X2/XS combo 7th,oct from same dealer as the first one.Crgmoto.
    Cant wait it to arrive..Royal (P)mail as courier is not my favorite ay all.
    No tracking code or reply to e-mail from Crg moto.Are they out of lights or business?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

XS or X2

Quote Originally Posted by leachy_9 View Post
    I'm just about to pull the trigger on some Gloworm lights. I've decided on XS for the handle bars but I am torn between XS and X2.V3 for the helmet. I am concerned that the X2s on the helmet will be over powered by the XS on the handlebar. But I am also concerned that the XS will be too heavy on the helmet. The price difference is inconsequential. I mainly ride fast single track with rocky sections.
    Personally I would get the X2 to go with the XS. Although the XS would be fine and is not too heavy for a helmet light, the X2 can have a much more focused beam and would be better for looking where you are going when your bars are pointing down the trail.

We designed the XS to be used with the X2 for maximum effectiveness.

Hope that helps somewhat?

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ
    Gloworm Website

'...it's more fun with the lites on!'

Glowormlites UK
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    No tracking code or reply to e-mail from Crg moto.Are they out of lights or business?
    Hi zeb

I have no outstanding orders for XS that haven't been shipped. Please pm me your order details on here and I'll look into it for you.

Cheers
    Danny

mtbr member
    I understand the dilemma. Finding a lamp that will complement the XS on the bars would be hard to do. I've considered getting an XS and running it on the helmet ( with X2 (v3) on the bars. I'm still on the fence though. Trying to find the perfect helmet lamp is something that can cost the big bucks if you want something light-weight and powerful ( with the right beam pattern ).

Right now I'm using two Xeccon lamps on my helmet to complement the X2 on the bars. While it works well it is somewhat heavy and very clunky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You want the more powerful light with the wider beam on the bars anyways to fast shadows behind the rocks you want to avoid. If your helmet light is to powerful then where ever you look you'll be drowning out the shadows and the trail definition will become vague. If you run an XS on the bars then you don't want an XS for the helmet unless you want to run it at 60% the output of whatever you have your bar XS set to. Just go with the X2 and save weight and money. It'll also simplify the setup since you can just run both lights at the same %setting and achieve the preferred balance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've just ordered an XS for the bars and an X2.V3 for the helmet.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Finally got gws.thnx Danny at CRG
    Edit:
    Last edited by zeb; 10-28-2014 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member

Gloworm XS/X2 Combo from Action-LED

Thanks for the input everyone. I've just ordered an XS for the bars and an X2.V3 for the helmet.
    Ride report?

Think You'll be happy, I just posted this on a different thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I used the combination XS and X2.V3.1 for the first time yesterday and I am very satisfied with these lights!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Will the XS battery sit in a bottle cage, instead of hanging from the top tube

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
    Will the XS battery sit in a bottle cage, instead of hanging from the top tube
    You could certainly fit it into a wide mouth water bottle and stuff some foam in with it so it won't rattle about. Or you could strap it into a water bottle cage as is.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Just Ride !
    How does the X2 compare to the Gemini Duo ? Does the X2 make for a great bar mount also ?
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    if you are looking to mount it on the bar, you can get a nice metal clamp by Gloworm ($40). It's optional with the X2, and standard with the XS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is it just me or do the x2 and xs look simliar in the 2015 test?

mtbr member
    ---

mtbr member
    I haven't looked at the 2015 reviews yet but judging from the 2014 reviews there should be no major differences. The back yard photos are limited by distance. In that environment they both look the same. You need more distance to notice the difference. This is one of the reasons why I have not run out to buy an XS for the bars as I personally don't feel the need for more light coming off the bars while using the X2 (v3). If I did buy an XS it would be in an attempt to get more light coming off the helmet and shining far into the distance. Since I'm not sure how that would work that's the only reason I haven't bought one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I haven't looked at the 2015 reviews yet but judging from the 2014 reviews there should be no major differences. The back yard photos are limited by distance. In that environment they both look the same. You need more distance to notice the difference. This is one of the reasons why I have not run out to buy an XS for the bars as I personally don't feel the need for more light coming off the bars while using the X2 (v3). If I did buy an XS it would be in an attempt to get more light coming off the helmet and shining far into the distance. Since I'm not sure how that would work that's the only reason I haven't bought one.
    Cat, your wish has been answered. Check out the youtube videos of MTBRs 2015 light shootout. They have a Gopro video of the XS as a helmet light. While I think the XS would make a great helmet light I also think most people would use it on the bars so I hope we get an XS bar light video also (please).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Was surprised by that, and also that the new Dinotte showed so much brighter than the XS. I figured inconsistent test photography, but who knows?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    Was surprised by that, and also that the new Dinotte showed so much brighter than the XS. I figured inconsistent test photography ?
    I agree with this statement. If you compare the XS to the X2 (which have the same optics), the XS illuminates much higher on the tree so I'm assuming it was aimed upwards considerably more than necessary. Too bad!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Was surprised by that, and also that the new Dinotte showed so much brighter than the XS. I figured inconsistent test photography, but who knows?
    Ehh...I have to disagree. I thought the DiNotte XML3 had more foreground light but not as much throw. The XS also looked brighter overall. To me it looked as though the DiNotte was using XM-L2 T6 bin vs. the X/S which looks whiter, perhaps using the XM-L2 U2 bin. With this in mind, the XS if setup with 3-spot optics will perhaps look even brighter in the distance.

What really surprised me was the output of the Lupine Wilma 7! I expected that to look much brighter than any of the other brand name lamps. I thought the photo of the Gloworm XS looked brighter than the Wilma and something has to be wrong with that. Francois, you might want to check that one again. Previous 2014 photos showed the Wilma 7 being much brighter. Perhaps the heat protection kicked in while doing the test (?)

mtbr member
    XS just kicks ass!!!!

For around 240$ with a hunk Lee battery and charger. You can't beat it!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hunk Lee battery? Do you mind linking to what you used?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Ehh...I have to disagree. I thought the DiNotte XML3 had more foreground light but not as much throw. The XS also looked brighter overall. To me it looked as though the DiNotte was using XM-L2 T6 bin vs. the X/S which looks whiter, perhaps using the XM-L2 U2 bin. With this in mind, the XS if setup with 3-spot optics will perhaps look even brighter in the distance.

Basically I still don't see what you see, and perhaps other do not either. If the untrained eye can't see the difference, then the utility of these photo comparisons is lost.

mtbr member
    Basically I still don't see what you see, and perhaps other do not either. If the untrained eye can't see the difference, then the utility of these photo comparisons is lost.
    It's all good. Everyone's opinion is respected here and no two people see things exactly alike anyway. Actually, I expected the DiNotte XML3 to have a much more intense center spot. I do tend to favor lamps that provide more throw so pardon my bias. In the photo ( 2015 review ) the DiNotte XML3 looks like it gives a flood beam pattern. I've seen photo's of the previous versions and none of those photo's look anything like what I see in the new review. Perhaps there are some issues about how the lamps are aimed but I don't know just how off any of the photos might be concerning that. I'm just commenting on what I see. It could be that DiNotte chose to make the outer lens more of a "dispersal" type lens on the newer lamps. Since I don't own any of the lamps I can't say for sure.

All of this said I was considering buying an XML3 at one point to use on the helmet. After seeing these beam shot photos I don't think I would consider one ( 2015 model ) for the helmet but it does look like it would make a good bar lamp. Unfortunately, if the beam shots are off ( in any way ) then I could be completely wrong. This might be why DiNotte has chosen "not" to send lamps to be reviewed in the previous years. Unfavorable photos could certainly hurt their sales.

Going forward what I wish DiNotte would do would be to offer the user a choice of optics. If they did that I would have likely bought one.

The Dog.
    Been riding with my XS for a couple of weeks thus far. Initially, I was honestly a little bit disappointed with the beam pattern, as I tend to favor lights with more flood than throw. Despite action-led's review proclaiming the futility of the gloworm flood optics, I did go ahead and switch out to two floods and a spot. Maybe it is a placebo effect, but I like it better. Sitting up and looking at the bars from a few feet back, the flood effect is impressive. Even rounding switchbacks, the trail ahead is lit more than enough. I am pretty dang happy with the light now, and I think it will be perfect for 90% of my night riding which is on snow in deep winter.

The light output is definitely very impressive, and I have had multiple passersby comment on it already. Bombing down a trail balls out on high feels completely comfortable. Comparing it to my Magicshine MJ-856, the XS is quite noticeably brighter on high, but the 856 is floodier. I also like that I can mount the light far forward of the bar, so it does not blind me when I stand up while climbing. Finally, even on high, the light stays nice and cool while riding. It will heat up and kick down if you leave it stationary for a long time, but given its form factor and output, I am amazed that it stays as cool as it does.

I do, however, have two criticisms of the light.

First, the arrangement and length of the remote and battery cables is quite flawed. Why would you have two cables, which obviously have completely different destinations, come out of the light together and then split many cm later? The remote is headed to the end of the handlebar, while the battery hookup is clearly headed back towards the frame. I can understand if you only want one cable exiting the light body for sealing reasons, but they should split immediately. With the current arrangement, the cables end up awkwardly bridged under the handlebar and are in danger of being contacted by an errants knee. I have difficulty even getting the cable to reach my battery when the bars are turned. I am hoping that this scenario does not cause issues when running pogies. On the plus side, I do like having the remote more than I anticipated. Makes it super easy to dim the light for oncoming traffic, but more for hikers that appear out of nowhere and are easily blinded.

Second, the battery indicator is grossly inaccurate. I raised this issue with action LED, and Jim states that it is a known issue related to the increased draw of the XS vs the X2. Basically, the light blinks less than 20% after only an hour of use on high, however it will go another hour when runtime tested. After runtime testing it, I feel more comfortable, but it is still disconcerting when you are way out there and you have flashing red. Apparently they are working on new endcaps for the battery. For now, my solution is to put the battery in a neoprene case, which is fine because I think the stock velcro strap is inadequate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    For those that run the XS on the helmet... would you do it again?

And did I miss the memo? Where is the 2015 XS video you speak of?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just got my XS in the mail and it appears to only have two brightness settings in the trail mode, but according to the manual it should have 3 (maybe 4?). I tried holding down the button for 15 seconds to reset everything but it still has just two brightness settings. I made sure that I'm only clicking once to turn it on. Anyone have an idea on what I'm doing wrong?
    -Kris

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by chamberlink View Post
    Just got my XS in the mail and it appears to only have two brightness settings in the trail mode, but according to the manual it should have 3 (maybe 4?). I tried holding down the button for 15 seconds to reset everything but it still has just two brightness settings. I made sure that I'm only clicking once to turn it on. Anyone have an idea on what I'm doing wrong?
    -Kris
    @Chamberlink. It sounds liek youare going direclty into the commute programme. When starting the light in Trail mode you should be clicking the button not holding and pressing. If you hold the button for anything longer than a about 0.5 sec it may interperate as something other than the Click...if that makes sense.

Let me know how it goes and we can diagnose from there.

Also, when you reset, you should hold for 15 sec from the 'OFF' state.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    Gloworm Website

Kiwi that Flew
    Definitely looks good..

Kiwi that Flew
    Hi LightFans,
    My X2 v3 turned up from CRGMoto this week (thanks Danny) and have to say it's a really impressive light. My previous light was the MagicShine MJ-880 which was also a great light, but developed a fault where it starts to 'flicker' between high and low when it gets warm, i.e. a faulty thermal switch (??). So I thought I'd try another brand, and being an NZ expat thought gave the Kiwiboys light a go... plus I liked the fact that the lumens quoted where actual 1500 and not theoretical like the MJ-880 2200. It turns out according to the MTBR Shootout that the output of the X2 and the MJ-880 is very comparable, so a no brainer really.

I think I'm going to get on really well with the X2, but what I will miss about the MJ-880 is that they have a switch that is illuminated so you can see it on the handlebar, also that the colour of this illumination changes depending on how much charge is left in the battery. This is a good feature and I would love to see this on the Gloworm's switch sometime in the future...

Great product Bruce and Co and I now look forward to the XS being my next light to complement my X2.

Deano

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    @Chamberlink. It sounds liek youare going direclty into the commute programme. When starting the light in Trail mode you should be clicking the button not holding and pressing. If you hold the button for anything longer than a about 0.5 sec it may interperate as something other than the Click...if that makes sense.

Let me know how it goes and we can diagnose from there.

Also, when you reset, you should hold for 15 sec from the 'OFF' state.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    Thanks for the help, I got it figured out. The battery wasn't fully charged when I first turned it on. Got it charged completely and now it works just fine. Can't wait to try it out this week!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anyone know if they are using XML's or XML2's in the Gloworm XS?

mtbr member
    Look like xm-l2s.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by simplec6 View Post
    Anyone know if they are using XML's or XML2's in the Gloworm XS?
    The XS uses XML2 - U2 LEDs

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    Gloworm Website

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    The XS uses XML2 - U2 LEDs

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    Cheers Bruce, exactly what I wanted to hear. I just ordered an XS as my first Gloworm product.
    Looking forward to using it and will post my review here when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Is the X2 and XS going to be the 2015 line up or is there any new lights or replacements coming out this year? This question is for Bruce.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast