Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just finished riding all night through New Years 9hrs moving time 75 miles and 2.4 vertical miles of ascent. I ran the XS on the bars with a more secure dual lock Velcro mount and a custom single lens diffuser over the center led. I was trying to conserve battery life because of the length of the ride so I used 10%(special mode)for fire road climbs 30% for flat single tracks and technical climbs, 60% for the good stuff. I only used 100% at the very end on my hardest descent but really 60% would have been just fine for my fast but relaxed pace. I was able to run all 9hrs on one 5800 gloworm battery but unfortunately it was the battery with the bad fuel gauge then I'm returning so I have no idea how much it has left. The performance of the XS as far as tossing light down the trail is everything I could have hoped for and more. I ran my recently received X2v3.1 on the helmet with dual spot lenses and it was fantastic. I let my riding partner use my X2v2 on his bars with one of my diffuser lenses over only one of the LEDs and he's totally sold on the light. He want to get a gloworm of his own as soon as I gets the needed funds, I'll probably let him borrow mine till he gets his own.

Maybe gloworm should hire me as a demo rep and let me take unsuspecting riders on epic all night adventures using gloworm lights to promote the product

Here's what our little ride last night and this morning looked like https://www.strava.com/activities/103184610
    Last edited by RojoRacing53; 01-01-2014 at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow, that's a serious ride, Rojo. You can turn a pedal with the best of 'em. Interesting how there are so many .1 mile segments on that ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    Wow, that's a serious ride, Rojo. You can turn a pedal with the best of 'em. Interesting how there are so many .1 mile segments on that ride.
    Its a very competitive area for both roadies and MTBers so everyone makes these little 0.1 mile segments in hopes that if they push right there they can get a KOM.

mtbr member
    Hardcore ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Went out for my first ride with the XS mounted on downside of bars, no helmet light this time. The light is much brighter and wider spread than SolorStorm x3. I had the flood lens in center that's the way it come's shipped. This makes a great bar light, the whole trail is lit-up. My switch is also cracked in the same place as posted, still works but I like the feel of the SolorStorm switch way better more pronounced click and higher raised button. The XS with gloves on is kind of numb feeling. Switch should be held on with rubber-band instead of velcro way easier to adjust !! I also feel another switch should be on light itself. Serfas does this with their new true 1000 light, the remote plugs in to the back of head. Much better design, also has a port on battery for charging phone. Nice !!
    But I do love this light and it's a keeper !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2nd ride last night 2.5 hours, XS on bar SolorStrom x3 on helmet. Great combo 3850 total lumens. Used my 6 cell Xeccon battery for XS and Gemini 4 cell for SS X3. Had all the light I will ever need !!

After the ride the XS would not turn off, it would go into the very dim mode as it should. I keep holding the button down but would not turn off, had to unplug it. Anyone else have this problem ? Maybe some moisture got in the crack in switch I don't know !! Got home then it worked fine.

mtbr member

Gloworm Remote tip

Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post

...After the ride the XS would not turn off, it would go into the very dim mode as it should. I keep holding the button down but would not turn off, had to unplug it. Anyone else have this problem ? Maybe some moisture got in the crack in switch I don't know !! Got home then it worked fine.
    Interesting story. When I first started using the X2's I was worried I might experience some problems if I got caught in a rain shower. Since my job is related to the medical field I have unlimited access to latex ( surgical type ) gloves. I had the idea that perhaps I could wrap the remote button in latex and that would repel water and dirt.

Basically what I did was cut the end off the glove ( where the hand goes in ) I make it about 1" to 1.5" wide. Then I cut it in half. ( roughly about 6" long ) At this point I size it up by wrapping it around the button and around the bars. Once done I cut off any excess and then tie the ends together. Then I carefully put in around the bars. The latex will curl up like a rubber band, not to worry. When you have it in place you then carefully unfold the latex in the spot where the button is then wrap it over the remote button. The latex will cover the button right nicely and will fit like a ...well, glove... The down side is latex is fragile. At some point it will wear out and tear. If you get three rides out of one you've done well.

( * The latex will not interfere with the operation of the button. Another added plus is that the latex also helps keep the remote in place )

About the lamp not turning off: Not sure what that's about. Could've been just a glitch in the circuit. Moisture in the switch?...ehhh...maybe Unless it happens again I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've used my XS on half a dozen rides and easily over twenty hrs it's worked perfectly every time with no not turning off issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Our shipment of Gloworm XS's has just arrived and I quickly got one onto the beam test stand. This light blows away anything else we sell. I had to switch scales on the light meter to get a reading.

Attachment 856306

(Just noticed the SSS and SFS labels are reversed)
    If your comparing this graph to others be sure and note that we had to increase the Y-axis to 2400 lux to fit it in.
    The only down side is that, as discussed previously, the flood lenses need work. The only real effect they have is to waste part of the light. So the SSS configuration is the best IMO. The light comes with SFS installed but has an extra spot and flood optic in the kit.

I tried to get rid of this second graph but there's something I don't know.

Based on the graph (see atachment from Action LED Lghts) I would say the XS light have a very focused spot with all lens configurations.

Does anyone have some beam photos with the different lens combinations (FFF, FSF, SSS, SFS). These photos will be very useful.

Best regards,
    Leo

Action LED Lights
    Leo,
    I would say the XS is a moderately focused spot. It has a smooth transition out to the sides.
    The flood lens just wastes a part of the light and reduces total output so photos of the different combinations won't look much different, only slightly dimmer.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Leo,
    I would say the XS is a moderately focused spot. It has a smooth transition out to the sides.
    The flood lens just wastes a part of the light and reduces total output so photos of the different combinations won't look much different, only slightly dimmer.
    ...and I'll add more to what Action said; No matter what optic you choose to run your lamp ( on the bars ) you should never lose too much throw. The Gloworm lamps/optics do this very well. While it's nice to have lots of flood coming off the bars, if you lose too much distance throw in the process you also lose useability of the lower modes. Balance of spill / throw is key when choosing your optic or reflector bar set-up. If your going to err, better to err to the side of more throw but that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have beam shots of a comparison of the XS with standard optics vs. with 3 spot optics? I love my X2 v2 and as much as I prefer a flood pattern, I definitely would like a bit more throw for when I ride on the road.

mtbr member
    Any night shots?????

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am thinking of getting this light, does anyone know if it would fit 7/8th (22mm) bars?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumfries Dik View Post
    I am thinking of getting this light, does anyone know if it would fit 7/8th (22mm) bars?
    You would need some extra shim to fit that bar. You would also wrap the area where the light mounts with some handlebar tape or friction tape to bring the diameter up.
    I'd be glad to include an extra rubber shim with your order.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi Jim, thats a very kind offer. However, I am in Scotland and to tell the truth, I have just bought a cheap set of lights off Ebay to see how I get on with them just now.

Thanks for the info though.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumfries Dik View Post
    Hi Jim, thats a very kind offer. However, I am in Scotland and to tell the truth, I have just bought a cheap set of lights off Ebay to see how I get on with them just now.

Thanks for the info though.
    That's a big change in direction from an XS to cheap ebay knock-offs. Good luck with that.
    We ship world wide.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    LMAO....

...big time change of direction indeed! Last night I took a ride in the cold and snow. Basically I was testing a Nitefire Hero2 ( 3-up XM-L U2 ) on the bars and the Solarstorm X2 (same) on the helmet. Makes a good combo but when I turn the H2 off and the Gloworm X2 (v3) on ( also on the bars ) there is a world of difference. The Gloworm's just have superior output and superior beam pattern.

Jim, while I have your attention; Are the upgraded versions of the X2 available yet with the longer remote wire?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    LMAO....
    Jim, while I have your attention; Are the upgraded versions of the X2 available yet with the longer remote wire?
    Nothing yet and no projected date at this time. I expect it will be a few months as all the channel goes through existing inventory.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi everyone,

I have purchased two Gloworm XS (one for a relative and one for me) and X1 and have just had a little time to try them out. I have charged both of them fully and have left them for a test run under a fan.

I turned on both of them at exactly the same time. However, just 35 minutes into the test, the battery indicator for one of them turned red.

Both Gloworms lasted around 2 hours on brightest. After that, the one with the seemingly faulty battery indicator switched to a lower power mode for 45 minutes and then turned off. The one that was working normally lasted for 2 hours 20 minutes+ on brightest and then about another 45 minutes after that after which it turned off.

Any ideas on what I can do about the battery indicator? Thanks

mtbr member
    I would discharge/recharge 3-4x then replace if it's still not performing to specs.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Davste View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have purchased two Gloworm XS (one for a relative and one for me) and X1 and have just had a little time to try them out. I have charged both of them fully and have left them for a test run under a fan.

I turned on both of them at exactly the same time. However, just 35 minutes into the test, the battery indicator for one of them turned red.

Both Gloworms lasted around 2 hours on brightest. After that, the one with the seemingly faulty battery indicator switched to a lower power mode for 45 minutes and then turned off. The one that was working normally lasted for 2 hours 20 minutes+ on brightest and then about another 45 minutes after that after which it turned off.

Any ideas on what I can do about the battery indicator? Thanks
    Hey,

In any situation that you are not sure about anything I'd recommend you get in touch with the shop or in country distributor to see if they can help.

In this situation, I would do as Gharddog posted and recharge to see if there is any variation to what you are seeing.

To get 2 hours on high is what should be expected in ideal circumstances. Battery discharge is varied depending on environmental factors.

Additionally the batteries indication is derived directly from the battery itself and has nothing to do with the light. The indication will vary slightly depending on the draw from the light however the voltage read is taken directly from the cells.

The light itself will drop down in brightness when the battery reaches a certain voltage, however this is also prone to variation based on resistance in the circuit.

The fuel gauge is a good indication but it will not give you % to decimal.

If you are not happy with the situation we will quite happily replace the battery, you'll just need to go through the shop/site you brought it from.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    I would discharge/recharge 3-4x then replace if it's still not performing to specs.
    Adding to this I would recommend using just one charger at a time to charge both batteries just to see if there is a difference when using different chargers. Quite possibly one of the chargers is not working right. If you still have the problem regardless of which charger is used I would try switching the batteries between the lamps to see if there is a difference when using different lamps. My bet is the problem is with one of the chargers and not the battery. Just make sure you mark the stuff and record the results so you don't get things mixed up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Still no night shots?!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    Still no night shots?!?
    Sorry I've been a lazy bastard and besides my Iphone takes crappy low light night shots and well once I get rolling I just forget to stop and take a picture.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast