Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I will have pictures up tomorrow. I hope others post some pictures of theirs as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The angle is deceptive, there's more clearance than it looks in the picture Gloworm XS are you getting one?-img_20131224_234238-small-.jpg
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-img_20131224_234319-small-.jpg

I got mine in a few days ago, everything looks well built and designed. The only concern I have is of the velcro patch that the button is supposed to attach to. On my handlebar the actual contact point isn't that large, so it doesn't feel like the button is solidly attached, but time will tell if it's actually an issue.

That being said, I really like everything about the Gloworm XS and can't wait to give it a try on my next night ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just opened up my XS, one word to express "impressive". The remote switch is just a bit short. This light is well made and has a very high quality feel to it. The beam is wide with great throw !! Very nice first impression. Winner all the way. Can't wait to go out !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gloworm XS are you getting one?-p1060313.jpg  

Gloworm XS are you getting one?-p1060314.jpg  

Gloworm XS are you getting one?-p1060319.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
    The angle is deceptive, there's more clearance than it looks in the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131224_234238 (Small).jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	857330
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131224_234319 (Small).jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	857331

I got mine in a few days ago, everything looks well built and designed. The only concern I have is of the velcro patch that the button is supposed to attach to. On my handlebar the actual contact point isn't that large, so it doesn't feel like the button is solidly attached, but time will tell if it's actually an issue.

That being said, I really like everything about the Gloworm XS and can't wait to give it a try on my next night ride.
    Was wondering,,,,, is there enough clearance to have the lamp head down in front of the stem and handle bars,,, as apposed to where you have it located in your photo? The reason I ask is it would survive an endo much better lower down? Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Killer pics. Thanks guys. Keep them coming.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-049eeb20-95cb-473e-98a1-5b1060871c69_zpszvw7yz18.jpg
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-6823ed3c-144f-4ef0-81b3-ef402b90b3b5_zpsd1xysz1z.jpg
    Gloworm Battery with Magic Shine straps
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-d9b59cef-6ca2-4f40-a757-4f47fba41922_zpssaroxsyr.jpg
    From left to right New 6800 XS battery, New 5800 X2 replacement battery, Original X2 battery with longer cord length.
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-22d6d473-07a3-4f0f-85b9-4c33fc25c0f9_zpsekwbdf6w.jpg
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-dad554e4-0a7a-4a8f-aba9-abd21bded452_zpsy5vygbnc.jpg
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-f946ab99-1003-42e7-ac6a-7b823a656deb_zpsimfso3jp.jpg
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-bcb77972-db76-4801-af5b-246bafed74ce_zpsrlq5ppuo.jpg
    The absolute farthest I can reach my thumb without having to take my hand off the bars. These are currently 685mm bars but I'm running 750mm on my AM bike.
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-81fe3961-f6bd-452b-a0bb-7a1ad33c8eb1_zpsy6c9bhwg.jpg
    The remote button is as far out as I can get with the cable already at it's length limit. The new batteries with shorter cable are making an already annoying issue and making it unmanageable. There must be a cable shortage over at gloworm or something
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-f2633499-17b4-4a91-8108-f7aaaad0528f_zps3iop4a8p.jpg
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-8759dbb6-2857-455c-a9e3-c1ab14eaebfa_zpslmv3iu8y.jpg
    Found a small crack in the button body which probably isn't going to do me any favors in the water proof department. I'll see if Jim can get me a new button then maybe I can lengthen the cable while I'm in there fixing it.
    Gloworm XS are you getting one?-89e92734-e99b-4ce8-a22b-ef9c0c5de343_zpszgwxtkte.jpg

I have the light mounted underneath for 3 reasons.
    1. the lower and farther away the light source is from your head the better shadows it will cast giving you more trail definition.
    2. It allows me to flip my bike upside down for quick trail maintenance.
    3. It the best position to make the already to short cables work, kind of.

I could mount the battery on top of the top tube but then my knees catch the battery straps and shift the battery sometime when I'm trying desperately to get the single speed up a climb. I could go under the down tube but then the battery will get beat to **** with mud and rocks. Gloworm please stop shortening your cables, trust us we really do not mind having to make one or two wraps around the handlebar to take up slack. A wrap or two around the handle bars is a much welcome problem compared to not having enough to accommodate even a compact setup such as mine.

mtbr member
    O yea RojoRacing!! Killer

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    let me know if there's anything else you guys want. I'm considering a few shots with the parts on my table top scale as well as a video of me testing on my local single tracks.

the product is so close to being absolutely perfect in every way minus the cables it's killing me.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Gloworm XS are you getting one?

Hi Rojo

The cable lengths have now been addressed and although it won't affect you immediately, customers from end of January will see a significant difference. We are even changing the cable outer material to ensure flexibility.

Regarding waterproofing of the switch, the crack won't affect it, however you should claim a warranty on the unit and Jim will replace.

Good luck with the XS! It's our favourite so far!

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post

Name:	049EEB20-95CB-473E-98A1-5B1060871C69_zpszvw7yz18.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	857341

Name:	6823ED3C-144F-4EF0-81B3-EF402B90B3B5_zpsd1xysz1z.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	857342
    Gloworm Battery with Magic Shine straps

Name:	D9B59CEF-6CA2-4F40-A757-4F47FBA41922_zpssaroxsyr.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	857343
    From left to right New 6800 XS battery, New 5800 X2 replacement battery, Original X2 battery with longer cord length.

Name:	22D6D473-07A3-4F0F-85B9-4C33FC25C0F9_zpsekwbdf6w.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	857344

Name:	DAD554E4-0A7A-4A8F-ABA9-ABD21BDED452_zpsy5vygbnc.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	857345

Name:	F946AB99-1003-42E7-AC6A-7B823A656DEB_zpsimfso3jp.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	857346

Name:	BCB77972-DB76-4801-AF5B-246BAFED74CE_zpsrlq5ppuo.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	857340
    The absolute farthest I can reach my thumb without having to take my hand off the bars. These are currently 685mm bars but I'm running 750mm on my AM bike.

Name:	81FE3961-F6BD-452B-A0BB-7A1AD33C8EB1_zpsy6c9bhwg.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	857347
    The remote button is as far out as I can get with the cable already at it's length limit. The new batteries with shorter cable are making an already annoying issue and making it unmanageable. There must be a cable shortage over at gloworm or something

Name:	F2633499-17B4-4A91-8108-F7AAAAD0528F_zps3iop4a8p.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	857348

Name:	8759DBB6-2857-455C-A9E3-C1AB14EAEBFA_zpslmv3iu8y.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	857349
    Found a small crack in the button body which probably isn't going to do me any favors in the water proof department. I'll see if Jim can get me a new button then maybe I can lengthen the cable while I'm in there fixing it.

Name:	89E92734-E99B-4CE8-A22B-EF9C0C5DE343_zpszgwxtkte.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	857350

I have the light mounted underneath for 3 reasons.
    1. the lower and farther away the light source is from your head the better shadows it will cast giving you more trail definition.
    2. It allows me to flip my bike upside down for quick trail maintenance.
    3. It the best position to make the already to short cables work, kind of.

I could mount the battery on top of the top tube but then my knees catch the battery straps and shift the battery sometime when I'm trying desperately to get the single speed up a climb. I could go under the down tube but then the battery will get beat to **** with mud and rocks. Gloworm please stop shortening your cables, trust us we really do not mind having to make one or two wraps around the handlebar to take up slack. A wrap or two around the handle bars is a much welcome problem compared to not having enough to accommodate even a compact setup such as mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Those improvements are good news.
    Trustworthy warranty service eventhough shipping company lost my parcel somewhere.
    Keep up with great work.
    Thnx.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'll have to give the lower mounting a try on my bike, though I think my cables might get in the way. I definitely agree with the comment on the length of the cables. While it's good to hear the ones made later will have that fixed that doesn't exactly help with current owners

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Because the XS has three leds my cable doesn't really cast a shadow. Even if you get a shadow it'll probably be in the first 10' on the trail in front of you which wouldn't really be a problem.
    Last edited by RojoRacing53; 12-25-2013 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Because the XS has three leds my cable doesn't really cast a shadow. Even if you get a shadow it'll probably be fast in the first 10' on the trail in front of you which wouldn't really be a problem.
    I did a quick test and you're right, that's pretty much how it worked out. Thanks for the idea and reasoning behind it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am a little disappointed with the length if the remote as previously mentioned it could have been longer. I'm not sure it my unit can be retrofitted later or not in January.

Also, does anyone's charger led to red when charging? Mine doesn't and I'm thinking I have a bad charger. I will have to contact Action Led Lights tomorrow to confirm. This might ruin my night ride tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    With the charger plugged in and to battery connected it should be green, then connect a "used" battery and it should go solid red, once charged it'll go solid green again. You could always check the voltage with a meter. What does the battery fuel gauge say the batteries current charge is at?
    Last edited by RojoRacing53; 12-26-2013 at 04:23 AM.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    It does sound as though you have a faulty charger. Action will replace this without question.

Regarding the remote length, there will be no retrofit option unfortunately.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Quote Originally Posted by AuthenticAMD View Post
    I am a little disappointed with the length if the remote as previously mentioned it could have been longer. I'm not sure it my unit can be retrofitted later or not in January.

Also, does anyone's charger led to red when charging? Mine doesn't and I'm thinking I have a bad charger. I will have to contact Action Led Lights tomorrow to confirm. This might ruin my night ride tomorrow

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    With he charger plugged in and to battery connected it should be green, then connect a "used" battery and it should go solid red, once charged it'll go solid green again. You could always check the voltage with a meter. What does the battery fuel gauge say the batteries current charge is at?

Fair point. It's currently showing 80% on the gauge, and just wanted to top it off before my ride today. It's possible the gauge is off and is closer to 100%. I'll just keep monitoring it on the ride, if I end up going.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Pics of the Gloworm XS on my cyclocross bike

mtbr member
    Sweet setup...sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Fiddly remote

I suppose the remote is designed mainly for use with a helmet. I have an X2 V2 and was going to upgrade to XS but the remote design puts me off. My X2 is a super light head and beam but I ended up using a base of a magicshine lamp and a rubber band to try and keep the remote in place on the bars. I have noticed a couple of lights coming through with wireless remote and one with a plug in remote.
    Xeccon Sogn 900 wireless control - YouTube
    SMALL SUN T013 3 x CREE XM-L T6 900lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hey,

The remote was actually designed to use on bar to ensure your hands can stay put on the grip, or with minimal movement.

The actual design could be refined for use on the bar and we are working on a solution to make this an even more rock solid feature.

Additionally the length of the cable is to be increased for more adaptability.

A couple of ideas we are testing at present is securing the switch using an oring arrangement and a slightly curved base to the switch unit.

As usual, any ideas are welcome!

cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Quote Originally Posted by lesoudeur View Post
    I suppose the remote is designed mainly for use with a helmet. I have an X2 V2 and was going to upgrade to XS but the remote design puts me off. My X2 is a super light head and beam but I ended up using a base of a magicshine lamp and a rubber band to try and keep the remote in place on the bars. I have noticed a couple of lights coming through with wireless remote and one with a plug in remote.
    Xeccon Sogn 900 wireless control - YouTube
    SMALL SUN T013 3 x CREE XM-L T6 900lm 4-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's good to hear you're working on a fix for the switch. I replaced the stock velcro with some 3m dual lock and it seems to be holding fairly well. While it's still not perfect because the actual engagement point between the pads consists of maybe 1-3 rows of dual-lock, it's certainly more solid than the stock velcro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bruce,

Since the new Gloworm bar mount is very similar to Lupine's Betty R bar mount, I think you should continue down that path and mimic the mount for Lupine's wireless Peppi. Theirs is a very simple, elegant, and effective design.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I too wish the remote switch wire were longer so I'd be able to mount it closer to the hoods of my cross bike but at least Gloworm has listened and is working on it. I have no regrets buying the XS. The light delivers a lot of light but what I really love about the XS is the output combined with the spread and throw! This one is a keeper and will be staying on my bars!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey,

The remote was actually designed to use on bar to ensure your hands can stay put on the grip, or with minimal movement.

The actual design could be refined for use on the bar and we are working on a solution to make this an even more rock solid feature.

Additionally the length of the cable is to be increased for more adaptability.

A couple of ideas we are testing at present is securing the switch using an oring arrangement and a slightly curved base to the switch unit.

As usual, any ideas are welcome!

cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ
    I understand your going to lengthen the remote button section of wire but will you also be lengthening the section the goes to the battery? With your latest batteries coming with cables that are 2-3" shorter then before we can't turn the wheel to 90degs. Also the section of wire that goes from the light-head to the Y junction can be shorter and the difference added to the two individual wires going to the button and battery.

I have a good idea for holding the button to the bar with an o-ring. It's quite simple but you would need to make the part. I made one for my lupine remote button years ago and it worked great. It you guys need help testing in real world conditions and getting racer feedback just let me know. I'm always riding at night and plan to compete for the overall solo win in several 24hr races this year so I really do use the **** of my all the products I use.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast