Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm XS are you getting one?

83K views 518 replies 81 participants last post by  Hakka 
#1 ·
I picked up a Gloworm X2 v2 Several weeks ago just in time for my last 24hr race and I was really impressed. I used it on the helmet and ran it on ether low or med for the single tracks and off for the climbs. I was able to get about 9hrs of life out of the one 4cell battery and never thought I needed more light.

On the bars I was borrowing a magicshine mj-856 which is probably got the best flood angle of any light ever but lacks a bit of throw. The mj-856 is a great bar light but there two things I think the XS would do better.

1. Remote switch: I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't adding this feature? Also hope the cable is long enough to reach my thumb.

2. Energy efficiency: with new advancement in emitter tech you get more light with less energy use so I can run a new light for twice as long with the same level of light as the old light using the same sized batteries.

Im already running dual spot lens in the X2 helmet light so I'm planning on running 3 floods in the XS.

Ive got a 12hr next weekend that runs into the night about 3-4 hrs so Im hoping Action LEDs get some in next week so I can test them out in what probably the last night race of the year.

See less See more
#37 ·
My wife ordered me a lighthead kit for Christmas, no "bat. or charger" for sale price this month 198.00.
Not bad, and it comes with the really nice 40.00 dollar bar mount with the kit. I will use 40.00 dollar SolorStorm x3 about 1500 lumens on the helmet, should be a nice combo. Gemini 4 cell 5200mah battery for the x3 and Xeecon 6 cell 7800mah for the XS on bars. Total of 350.00 for setup. I will post when I get with some picts.

#38 ·
Nice setup for the money. I ride with a Gloworm X2 on my bars and tried a SolorStorm X2 on my helmet. The SSX2 was nice on the helmet as far as size and lightweight, but I found it just didn't offer much of a spot beam for throw. For turning and stuff it was definitely better than not having helmet light. I now use the Gloworm X1 on my helmet and it works great with the Gloworm X2 on the bar. It is small, lightweight and throws really well. Nice thing with the Gloworms is that you can buy just the lightheads and they work the most common connector type style batteries.

That Gloworm XS lighthead should be a killer light. What a nice Christmas gift - you must have a wonderful wife! I really like the Gloworm products and dealing with Action LED lights and Gloworm is nothing but top notch.

#41 ·
The light weight of the XS head is one of the reason's I decided to get it, if I want to put on helmet I can. My Serfas True 1500 is I feel too heavy for the helmet, the color and quality of light beam with Serfas is the best I have so far. Very well designed and never over- heats. I have also Gemini Xera and Duo, SolorStrom x2 and x3. The Duo has some problems heat and Dims on long rides.
This will be my first Gloworm product, I think the XS will be a great light. You get what you pay for. We'll see !!

#42 · (Edited)
The XS has arrived!!!

Our shipment of Gloworm XS's has just arrived and I quickly got one onto the beam test stand. This light blows away anything else we sell. I had to switch scales on the light meter to get a reading.

Blue Green Text Slope Colorfulness

(Just noticed the SSS and SFS labels are reversed)
If your comparing this graph to others be sure and note that we had to increase the Y-axis to 2400 lux to fit it in.
The only down side is that, as discussed previously, the flood lenses need work. The only real effect they have is to waste part of the light. So the SSS configuration is the best IMO. The light comes with SFS installed but has an extra spot and flood optic in the kit.

I tried to get rid of this second graph but there's something I don't know.

Attachments

#109 ·
Our shipment of Gloworm XS's has just arrived and I quickly got one onto the beam test stand. This light blows away anything else we sell. I had to switch scales on the light meter to get a reading.

View attachment 856306

(Just noticed the SSS and SFS labels are reversed)
If your comparing this graph to others be sure and note that we had to increase the Y-axis to 2400 lux to fit it in.
The only down side is that, as discussed previously, the flood lenses need work. The only real effect they have is to waste part of the light. So the SSS configuration is the best IMO. The light comes with SFS installed but has an extra spot and flood optic in the kit.

I tried to get rid of this second graph but there's something I don't know.
Based on the graph (see atachment from Action LED Lghts) I would say the XS light have a very focused spot with all lens configurations.

Does anyone have some beam photos with the different lens combinations (FFF, FSF, SSS, SFS). These photos will be very useful.

Best regards,
Leo

#45 ·
I just pulled the trigger on the Gloworm XS and the newest X1 for my helmet. So far I am loving my X2 v3.1 and cannot wait to check out the new XS!

I am very pleased with Jim's customer service at Action-LED! I am a new customer but have already called him several times with questions and he always takes the time to answer. Jim has also been great with giving advice, quickly resolving problems, and getting parts or replacements out quickly. I know I can be a picky pain in the ass but because Jim seems to be able to deal with it, he'll continue to get my money but I think I'll give the poor guy a break and start emailing him. LOL

Thanks again Jim!
Bobby

#46 ·
My XS just arrived and everything looks to be in order. First off the alum quick release bar mount is way beyond what I would have expect in it being super solid and very trim and clean looking. If you've been reluctant to spent the money on the gloworm quick release bar mount because it looks very narrow and you suspect the light head will bounce around a lot. Well your going to be very surprise and how strong this thing can clamp on. The user interface is rock solid with a quick single press for trail mode and a double tap for commuter mode.

I just flipped it one really quick to make sure the light works as intended, the fuel gauge on the new larger capacity 6800mA battery is working. I'll see about testing it tomorrow night in conjunction with the X2 V3 on the helmet.

Again thanks goes out to Jim at Action LED Lights - Brilliant lighting for all your biking & outdoor sporting activities. for his excellent service and support.

#52 ·
The angle is deceptive, there's more clearance than it looks in the picture :) Bicycle accessory Black Bicycle handlebar Technology Metal

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Transport Bicycle handlebar Bicycle

I got mine in a few days ago, everything looks well built and designed. The only concern I have is of the velcro patch that the button is supposed to attach to. On my handlebar the actual contact point isn't that large, so it doesn't feel like the button is solidly attached, but time will tell if it's actually an issue.

That being said, I really like everything about the Gloworm XS and can't wait to give it a try on my next night ride.

#54 ·
The angle is deceptive, there's more clearance than it looks in the picture :) View attachment 857330
View attachment 857331

I got mine in a few days ago, everything looks well built and designed. The only concern I have is of the velcro patch that the button is supposed to attach to. On my handlebar the actual contact point isn't that large, so it doesn't feel like the button is solidly attached, but time will tell if it's actually an issue.

That being said, I really like everything about the Gloworm XS and can't wait to give it a try on my next night ride.
Was wondering,,,,, is there enough clearance to have the lamp head down in front of the stem and handle bars,,, as apposed to where you have it located in your photo? The reason I ask is it would survive an endo much better lower down? Cheers!!

#56 ·
Finger Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Font Black

Finger Electronic device Technology Font Thumb

Gloworm Battery with Magic Shine straps
Finger Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Synthetic rubber

From left to right New 6800 XS battery, New 5800 X2 replacement battery, Original X2 battery with longer cord length.
Musical instrument accessory Strap Webbing Baggage

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Technology Bicycle Bicycle handlebar

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Amber

The absolute farthest I can reach my thumb without having to take my hand off the bars. These are currently 685mm bars but I'm running 750mm on my AM bike.
Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle part Amber

The remote button is as far out as I can get with the cable already at it's length limit. The new batteries with shorter cable are making an already annoying issue and making it unmanageable. There must be a cable shortage over at gloworm or something:madman:
Finger Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle frame

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Carbon Rim

Found a small crack in the button body which probably isn't going to do me any favors in the water proof department. I'll see if Jim can get me a new button then maybe I can lengthen the cable while I'm in there fixing it.
Machine Steel Bicycle accessory

I have the light mounted underneath for 3 reasons.
1. the lower and farther away the light source is from your head the better shadows it will cast giving you more trail definition.
2. It allows me to flip my bike upside down for quick trail maintenance.
3. It the best position to make the already to short cables work, kind of.

I could mount the battery on top of the top tube but then my knees catch the battery straps and shift the battery sometime when I'm trying desperately to get the single speed up a climb. I could go under the down tube but then the battery will get beat to **** with mud and rocks. Gloworm please stop shortening your cables, trust us we really do not mind having to make one or two wraps around the handlebar to take up slack. A wrap or two around the handle bars is a much welcome problem compared to not having enough to accommodate even a compact setup such as mine.

#59 ·
Hi Rojo

The cable lengths have now been addressed and although it won't affect you immediately, customers from end of January will see a significant difference. We are even changing the cable outer material to ensure flexibility.

Regarding waterproofing of the switch, the crack won't affect it, however you should claim a warranty on the unit and Jim will replace.

Good luck with the XS! It's our favourite so far!

Bruce
Gloworm NZ

View attachment 857341
View attachment 857342
Gloworm Battery with Magic Shine straps
View attachment 857343
From left to right New 6800 XS battery, New 5800 X2 replacement battery, Original X2 battery with longer cord length.
View attachment 857344
View attachment 857345
View attachment 857346
View attachment 857340
The absolute farthest I can reach my thumb without having to take my hand off the bars. These are currently 685mm bars but I'm running 750mm on my AM bike.
View attachment 857347
The remote button is as far out as I can get with the cable already at it's length limit. The new batteries with shorter cable are making an already annoying issue and making it unmanageable. There must be a cable shortage over at gloworm or something:madman:
View attachment 857348
View attachment 857349
Found a small crack in the button body which probably isn't going to do me any favors in the water proof department. I'll see if Jim can get me a new button then maybe I can lengthen the cable while I'm in there fixing it.
View attachment 857350

I have the light mounted underneath for 3 reasons.
1. the lower and farther away the light source is from your head the better shadows it will cast giving you more trail definition.
2. It allows me to flip my bike upside down for quick trail maintenance.
3. It the best position to make the already to short cables work, kind of.

I could mount the battery on top of the top tube but then my knees catch the battery straps and shift the battery sometime when I'm trying desperately to get the single speed up a climb. I could go under the down tube but then the battery will get beat to **** with mud and rocks. Gloworm please stop shortening your cables, trust us we really do not mind having to make one or two wraps around the handlebar to take up slack. A wrap or two around the handle bars is a much welcome problem compared to not having enough to accommodate even a compact setup such as mine.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#58 ·
let me know if there's anything else you guys want. I'm considering a few shots with the parts on my table top scale as well as a video of me testing on my local single tracks.

the product is so close to being absolutely perfect in every way minus the cables it's killing me.

#61 ·
I'll have to give the lower mounting a try on my bike, though I think my cables might get in the way. I definitely agree with the comment on the length of the cables. While it's good to hear the ones made later will have that fixed that doesn't exactly help with current owners :p

#64 ·
I am a little disappointed with the length if the remote as previously mentioned it could have been longer. I'm not sure it my unit can be retrofitted later or not in January.

Also, does anyone's charger led to red when charging? Mine doesn't and I'm thinking I have a bad charger. I will have to contact Action Led Lights tomorrow to confirm. This might ruin my night ride tomorrow :(

#66 ·
It does sound as though you have a faulty charger. Action will replace this without question.

Regarding the remote length, there will be no retrofit option unfortunately.

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm NZ

I am a little disappointed with the length if the remote as previously mentioned it could have been longer. I'm not sure it my unit can be retrofitted later or not in January.

Also, does anyone's charger led to red when charging? Mine doesn't and I'm thinking I have a bad charger. I will have to contact Action Led Lights tomorrow to confirm. This might ruin my night ride tomorrow :(

#67 ·
With he charger plugged in and to battery connected it should be green, then connect a "used" battery and it should go solid red, once charged it'll go solid green again. You could always check the voltage with a meter. What does the battery fuel gauge say the batteries current charge is at?
Fair point. It's currently showing 80% on the gauge, and just wanted to top it off before my ride today. It's possible the gauge is off and is closer to 100%. I'll just keep monitoring it on the ride, if I end up going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.