mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Gloworm XS 2200 vs Niterider 2200

Has anyone compared these have any comments?

For people who have used the XS on the trails, what did you think of the beam pattern? Did your opinion change if you reduced from full power?

What I like about the XS is the programability, light weight, and looks.

What I like about the NR 2200 is that from the shots it seems to have a wider beam pattern. However if run in less than high, I think the beam pattern changes because only one bulb is used.
    Last edited by matto6; 12-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can't help you, accept to say that my friends have NR Pro 1800's and they do have nice wide beam patterns. I imagine the NR2200 would be pretty cool too. Maybe that helps?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks Wish....

So I ordered the 2015 NR 2200 enduro (same as original but with longer battery life.) it was $300 at arts so $50 cheaper than the XS.

For some reason I am drawn to the super wide beam pattern of the NR, so I decided to give it a try. I'd have loved the XS for the adjustability, look, weight, and battery replacement options... But it's beam is pretty narrow compared to the NR and everyone seems to agree the flood optics don't really work. They might have some at some point but not today.

I'm not entirely sure my logic makes sense, because if I end up running the NR in medium the beam may not be any wider than the XS at the same lumens (the dual-beam NR's use only one bulb when not on high). No one does beam photos with these things at reduced power but they should for lamps like the NR. I'm also not excited about the giant battery. But hopefully I love how it looks out on the trail so none of this matters.

I have a feeling my supposedly-900-lumens Chinese helmet light will get lost with the NR on high, but maybe not given the wide NR beam? Well find out but I have funny feeling I just started an arms race with myself and I'll soon be ordering a gloworm x2 for my helmet.

mtbr member
    Matto6....I think all newer NR lights have terrific beam patterns. However, the XS is a better light overall. Your biggest concern is for naught. The beam pattern on the XS is plenty wide. I myself do not use spot beams on trails, and I find the XS almost too floody on the trails. And I run it with 3 spot lenses (I would def not even bother running with the flood lenses). You have more than enough side illumination on the trail.

On top of this, as you have mentioned, the XS has a much smaller battery with comparable run times. The programmability of light levels is really useful, and you have dual modes (a 2 level mode and a 3 level mode with a special mode on each). But more than any of this is the remote switch. That alone is enough reason (for me at least - ride with thick winter gloves and you'll see why) to buy it. Even without thick winter gloves, it's just so much easier to change the output levels on the light while riding or as you need or want.

I like the color and beam pattern of the NR slightly more, but all things considered, the XS is a superior light IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Oh man blackbean, you just made me spend an hour reading about the gloworm XS again. You find the XS too floody? Interesting. I see others making their own flood lenses to make it more floody and people wanting to buy them, so I guess you're somewhere in the middle of the spectrum?

I hate the NR battery and weight, but I love the beam, at least from what I can see from beam shots and videos. And it'll be here Monday. I will probably give it a shot.

And speaking of think winter gloves, is it really easier to hit the remote button of the Gloworm than the big red button on the NR?

I really hate the idea of a proprietary battery, but I'm thinking if this dies in a year I can get Hulk Lee to cook me up something on the cheap. Unless NR has some crazy circuitry that will prevent aftermarket batteries?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just ordered a Gloworm X2 from Action-LED, and a battery from hunk lee. I'll likely use the X2 on the helmet, but I will also try it on the bars. If I like it on the bars I can leave it there, or it'll convince me to get an XS for the bars and ditch the NR.

mtbr member
    Haha...sorry about that. But I really think the XS is an all-around superior light.

I don't think it's too floody. It would be if you use the flood lenses (1, 2 or all 3 of them). I think with 3 spot lenses you get enough flood and an acceptable throw. So in a way yes, I guess it could be a little less floody and have more throw. But that's about my only 'gripe'.

The remote however is an absolute must IMO. It's just so much better than having to hit a button on a lamp head (for ANY light).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just ordered the XS from action. Thanks a lot blackbean!!!!!!

I also ordered 6-cell 10200 mAh battery from Hunk Lee. I found out that if you ask, he'll include a weatherproof cable, sized to your request!

So for $50 less I'm getting a light that lasts 1.5 times as long, weighs 1/3 less, and is significantly more customizable. I'll take it.

Luckly Art's offers free returns so it won't cost me to send the NR back. I feel bad wasting their money, but I'll continue to support them with my purchases to make up for it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post

I also ordered 6-cell 10200 mAh battery from Hunk Lee. I found out that if you ask, he'll include a weatherproof cable, sized to your request!

So for $50 less I'm getting a light that lasts 1.5 times as long, weighs 1/3 less, and is significantly more customizable. I'll take it.

Luckly Art's offers free returns so it won't cost me to send the NR back. I feel bad wasting their money, but I'll continue to support them with my purchases to make up for it!
    I just mailed my NR back to Art's as well. I felt guilty cuz they gave me such a good deal. I also felt guilty for all the hard workers at NR. NR really helped get the night scene going way back when....Sorry Night Rider. The light was great and so was the weight of the battery

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
    I just mailed my NR back to Art's as well. I felt guilty cuz they gave me such a good deal. I also felt guilty for all the hard workers at NR. NR really helped get the night scene going way back when....Sorry Night Rider. The light was great and so was the weight of the battery
    I feel bad for Arts but not NR. Their product is no longer competitive in weight, and they went with a proprietary battery specifically to lock you in, and make you buy uber expensive batteries down the road when these fail. Should we count how many threads there are on the internet with people saying, "My NR battery is dead and the replacement costs more than a new light". That's not by accident!

This is a business decision on NR's part and they have to take the pros with the cons. Cons in this case == lost sales.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post

I think these are the weatherproof connectors Hunk Lee uses and they don't play well with the "magicshine" plug, which Gloworm, Gemini, etc. all use. It will plug in and conduct electricity perfectly, but won't give you any sealing or locking without the matching male screw-type plug.

Gloworm XS 2200 vs Niterider 2200-%24_57.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    I think these are the weatherproof connectors Hunk Lee uses and they don't play well with the "magicshine" plug, which Gloworm, Gemini, etc. all use. It will plug in and conduct electricity perfectly, but won't give you any sealing or locking without the matching male screw-type plug.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	947145

Thanks for the info. I already ordered, so I'll post up pictures of whatever I get. I got one with the normal cable, one with weatherproof. Should take about 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	947145

I asked him for the "magicshine waterproof plug" the these that he sells
    MagicShine LED Bike Light Battery Li ion 7 4V 9000mAh by Samsung 30A Waterproof | eBay