Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?

FYI: Action LED now has the new Version 3 edition of the Gloworm X2 on their website. I'm in.. Can't wait to get my hands on the little gem. My expectations are very high. I sure hope the Gloworm people don't let me down. These aren't inexpensive.

I have a question for Jim ( Action LED ) or anyone else who might know: I ordered the lamp head only. I thought I remember reading somewhere ( on MTBR ) that the new units were going to include the new ( solid alloy ) quick release/cam lock bar mounts. I know I'm getting a mount but not sure if it's the same O-ring mount or cam lock type mount?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hey Cat, what you probably saw was our display at Interbike. We used the QR mount for the show however the X2 will be delivered with the standard o-ring mount. The XS comes standard with the QR mount.

Cheers!

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I would be on this like white on rice, but building a carbon frame 650B HT bike from the ground up so I'll have to hold off for now.

Can't wait for your review when it arrives.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    It looks like its going to sell like hotcakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's the mount Cat
    Action-LED-Lights ? Gloworm Quick Release Mount

$180 for the light head only. Not cheap.
    Here's the product link
    Action-LED-Lights ? GLOWORM X2 v3 1500 lumen Bike Light

I just ordered something from action led yesterday. I ordered at around 2:15 and by 4:30 it was already shipped! You can't get better than that.

mtbr member
    Anyone think the X1 V1 is a better value than the X1 V2? I plan to eventually get a V2 V3 as well.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am weak - I just purchased both the X2 v3 and the X1 v2 - light heads only, plus the quick release mount for the X2. I have the X2 v2 and have been very pleased with it. I think these lights are reasonably priced based on the beam quality, small size, weight, mounting options and overall quality.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    how does the new X2 compare to the Gemini Olympia?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey Cat, what you probably saw was our display at Interbike. We used the QR mount for the show however the X2 will be delivered with the standard o-ring mount. The XS comes standard with the QR mount.

Cheers!

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ
    Doah!

Name:  Grumpy-Cat.jpg
Views: 2521
Size:  4.3 KB Actually, the standard O-ring mount works fine.

Bruce, I'm a little confused about what optics are coming with the X2. Can you shed a little light on this issue? If the standard set up is one flood, one spot...how long before we can order another optic of our choice? I use a spot, spot in my current set-up and thought I might like to continue with that arrangement. Still I look forward to seeing how well the new optic system you have works. Could be I might be completely happy with whatever comes out of the box. My friend above though, is much harder to please.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just bought a x2 v3 for a new helmet light.

mtbr member

It's Here!: Initial observations

Whoa Nelly! Got this thing fast! No one's going to accuse Jim at Action LED of being slow to ship!

Strange as it is I was not impressed when I first turned it on. This goes to show how initial impressions can be totally off base when you are just using your eyes ( inside a house ). Now please continue reading....

After shining the lamp around in my home a bit I pulled my other X2 (U2, spot-flood ) off my bike to compare the two. At first I shook my head because I couldn't tell much difference. To get a more accurate read out I put up the lux meter ( ~4-5 meters distance ) to get a lux
    measurement....Holy Smokes!...New version X2 is getting another 200 lux!

Compared to my U2 version this is about a 42% increase in output Out the Front ( OTF ) when in it's highest mode. Keep in mind this is lux not lumen. The lux meter is measuring the intensity at the most brightest point of the beam pattern. This explains why I couldn't tell much difference inside the house. Most of the extra output is going to be "forward throwing". For the human eye to see the difference you need DISTANCE to get the full effect. Not gonna happen inside the house.

Well, it looks like the Gloworm people have worked some voodoo magic here. With the higher bin XM-L2's and newer refined optics this lamp should totally rock once it hits the trails. ( lamp comes standard with one flood and one spot optic )

Can't wait to see what the added output looks like on the trails. Unfortunately in my case that's not going to happen anytime soon. Where I live we've entered what I like to call "The Fall Mini-Monsoon" season. It's been raining constantly for about three days and looks like it might continue for at least another couple days. Trails will not be ride worthy anytime soon.

On a brighter note the new mode menu set-up is a real winner. Changing between the two factory programs is a breeze. One push starts the Trail Programme or two quick pushes starts the Commuter Programme, it's as simple as that. Customizing each of the light levels is relatively simple once you get the hang of it. I've already customized the "Commuter Programme" to be more of a "Race Programme". On the other "Trail Programme" I'm going to dim the mid-level down just a notch or two and then I'll be set.

Now all I need is for the rain to stop and for the trails to dry up a bit so I can enjoy my new toys. ( *Sigh* ) The "Race people" are going to love these. With the increased efficiency of the optic/LED set-up I have no doubt that when used on the lower outputs there is going to be a very noticeable difference in the run time of whatever battery set-up you choose to use. Added run time is always a nice thing to have.

( *Note: to whom it may concern. I have no official proprietary relationship with Gloworm or the people who sell their products. I bought the lamp from Action LED at the listed price with my own money. )

mtbr member
    The new gloworm looks sweet but i couldn't justify the cost when two 2013 olympia's cost less than one V3. Can't wait for a good review on the v3. Maybe I'll pull the trigger in a few months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    The new gloworm looks sweet but i couldn't justify the cost when two 2013 olympia's cost less than one V3. Can't wait for a good review on the v3. Maybe I'll pull the trigger in a few months.
    Well....sounds like a good deal. May I ask who the seller was?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Well....sounds like a good deal. May I ask who the seller was?
    Same. Action. Only place I deal with.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just bought 2x 2013 Olympias for the bar to pair with a v3 on the helmet. I'm selling my t6 xera and olympia to my riding buddy and this closeout sale are helping to justify the expense. There are some AWESOME deals at ACTION LED right now. Use the code CLOSEOUT13 for an extra 10% off already discounted 2013 gloworm and gemini stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I just bought 2x 2013 Olympias for the bar to pair with a v3 on the helmet. I'm selling my t6 xera and olympia to my riding buddy and this closeout sale are helping to justify the expense. There are some AWESOME deals at ACTION LED right now. Use the code CLOSEOUT13 for an extra 10% off already discounted 2013 gloworm and gemini stuff.
    Indeed. You have a killer set up. I'm going to run 2 Olympia's and one duo.

Action LED Lights
    That was a good deal. Unfortunately the price on the light head was a typo. I'll honor the price the lucky few got but there a little more now. The sets came down a little.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Indeed. You have a killer set up. I'm going to run 2 Olympia's and one duo.
    Thanks, you have a sweet setup as well. Your lumens/dollar ratio is great especially considering you're getting gemini quality and programming options.

mtbr member

Minor problem with new X-2

TonightI decided to try to take the new X2 out on the paved trails behind my home. While setting up the lamp I ran into a couple problems. It seems the new remote wire is about an inch shorter than the previous editions. Depending on your handlebar length ( mine are quite long ) this could be a major issue. I find I now have to use the provided Velcro block ( with sticky on back ) rather than the previous strip of Velcro I was using. Unfortunately since the bars are round ( and the back of the remote isn't ) this results in a rather unstable platform to mount the remote.

Since the wire is too short I'm going to have to mount the remote just under my Rapidfire shifter display. That means I'm going to have to stretch my thumb a bit further if I need to change modes. If I can't deal with this I'll have to return the light. I complained years ago that the previous editions were just barely long enough. I'm not happy that they decided to shorten the wire. With my hand on the brake lever my thumb now BARELY reaches the button. Jeez, makes no sense to me to scrimp on 3 cm worth of wire. Total buzz kill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    TonightI decided to try to take the new X2 out on the paved trails behind my home. While setting up the lamp I ran into a couple problems. It seems the new remote wire is about an inch shorter than the previous editions. Depending on your handlebar length ( mine are quite long ) this could be a major issue. I find I now have to use the provided Velcro block ( with sticky on back ) rather than the previous strip of Velcro I was using. Unfortunately since the bars are round ( and the back of the remote isn't ) this results in a rather unstable platform to mount the remote.

Since the wire is too short I'm going to have to mount the remote just under my Rapidfire shifter display. That means I'm going to have to stretch my thumb a bit further if I need to change modes. If I can't deal with this I'll have to return the light. I complained years ago that the previous editions were just barely long enough. I'm not happy that they decided to shorten the wire. With my hand on the brake lever my thumb now BARELY reaches the button. Jeez, makes no sense to me to scrimp on 3 cm worth of wire. Total buzz kill.
    How was the throw/flood. Better than previous version? Any other issues other than the wire length?

mtbr member
    How was the throw/flood. Better than previous version? Any other issues other than the wire length?
    I did a short ride on the paved trails behind my home. From what I can tell ( with trails still wet ) there is definitely more throw on the highest output level. That's the good part.

Now the bad part; There is a noticeable delay when pushing the button to change modes compared to the original version. I believe this is due to the new programmable menu. Not a big issue but coupled with the difficulty of trying to reach the button with the shortened wire there is a moment of doubt on whether or not you have successfully engaged the button ( about a 0.5 sec delay ). This delay also effects how you turn the lamp on when first turned on. Once again not a big issue but certainly noticeable. Occasionally when you try to turn the lamp on ( with one push ) nothing happens and you have to try again. Not unusual for it to take 2-3 tries to get the lamp to turn on.

I am seriously considering returning the lamp. While I like the extra output I'm not sure I can accept the operational limitations of the button assembly and the UI. When I press a button I need to see something happen, FAST. This is even more important when you have your hand stretched out trying to hit a small button as you navigate over rough terrain. I figure if I return the lamp perhaps they will correct the shortened remote wire with the later productions. We will see.

( *Note; I own three previous versions of the Gloworm X2. All of those versions had no operational issues.

Would be super nice if the Gloworm people would offer to provide a replacement lamp with a longer wire.

mtbr member
    Thank you Cat.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?

Cat, thanks for the feedback.

Will definitely look into the length of the switch as this should not have changed from the first version to now.

Regarding the UI, when the button is pressed the light will change momentarily after the button is pressed. This was tested when we were prototyped the product with a few riders and they did not find it an issue, however they had not been able to compare it to previous versions. Everyone is different I guess?

In reference to the starting sequence, to access the first default programme hold the button for a couple seconds then release. To start in the second, double click.

We are constantly assessing our changes to develop the best product we can.

Any feedback is great regarding the UI and functionality and as you know we take it seriously and make adjustments accordingly.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Action LED Lights
    Cat, I pull a V2 and V3 and compared the wire length to the button and they were identical.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Cat, thanks for the feedback.

Will definitely look into the length of the switch as this should not have changed from the first version to now.

Regarding the UI, when the button is pressed the light will change momentarily after the button is pressed. This was tested when we were prototyped the product with a few riders and they did not find it an issue, however they had not been able to compare it to previous versions. Everyone is different I guess?

In reference to the starting sequence, to access the first default programme hold the button for a couple seconds then release. To start in the second, double click.

We are constantly assessing our changes to develop the best product we can.

Any feedback is great regarding the UI and functionality and as you know we take it seriously and make adjustments accordingly.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    When I am standing next to the bike and working the button I don't seem to have so much of an issue with failed pushes. On the bike is a different matter as I am try to push the button (now) at a much harder angle. I think what is happening is that the button is now mounted directly to the handlebar and the handlebar is curved more than where I use to have it. When I push the button it rocks slightly. This could be the real problem. Once again, likely the issue is exacerbated by me trying to contact the button at a less than straight down angle. I might be able to firm up the mounting but I'm still going to have to really do a "stretch" with my thumb to try to hit the button when on the bike.

Perhaps I just got one with a shorter wire. Things like this happen. Mine has a wire that is about 173mm long ( measured from where it exits the lamp to where it enters the button...not including the button ). My previous editions are about 203mm long. Like I said before, even those I could have wished for another cm or two.

This isn't a problem on my bikes with shorter handle-bars. Both my ( flat-bar ) road set-up and my older cross-country mtn bike have no issue. The bike I ride most for mountain biking has riser bars and are much wider than standard flat handle-bars. I find the wider bars give me more control for the rough trails I sometimes ride.. These bars were standard equipment when I bought the bike.

I need about another 3-4cm on the new version to be able to mount the button where I mounted the others. With the previous editions I could mount the button right over the spot where my shifter levers are. As such I never had a problem making a mode change while on the fly. Now it looks like that is going to change and that is something I don't think I will like.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast