Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 133
  1. #101
    Glowormlites UK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    27
    RojoRacing53
    If your X2 v3 was from the earlier batch it had a user interface that was designed to stop accidental switching on in kit bags etc.

    To switch on in Trail mode you press and hold for 4-5 seconds - press the button and count to 5 and release it and the light will come straight on.
    Commuter is the double click as you observed.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    480
    Thanks I'll give that a try but that's still a long time when in the middle of a 24hr race on some courses. Being on a single speed bike and having to stand out of the saddle for ether climbs or descents and with most courses having little to no flat stuff I have a hard enough time finding time to pull a hand off the bars long enough to grab my water bottle let along deal with both my bottle and light. I may have to leave my X2 v2 on the helmet and sell the v3 if it really becomes a problem.

    With what ever light is on the bars it's not a problem because I can have on hand there the whole time so its easy. Did they change the timing for turning on the v3 with the v3.1 update or is it the same?

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    234
    [QUOTE=crgmoto;10893713]RojoRacing53
    user interface that was designed to stop accidental switching on in kit bags etc.

    I'm not sure I buy this, I always unplug my battery when not in use for safety reason

    RojoRacing - My 3.1 version turns on with one click and I would hope that's the way Gloworm designed the XS so you should get to try it out for yourself. If it was me I think I would contact Gloworm to see if there isn't some way to upgrade the UI on your 3.0 version. From what I've seen on MTBR Gloworm has bent over backwards to make their customers happy and I would think it would be worth it to them to take care of the customers who got 3.0 to protect their outstanding customer service reputation. It never hurts to ask.
    Mole

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    480
    Yeah I just tried the 5 seconds then release deal and it works but it doesn't come on untill you "release" the button, so that 5 seconds is going to be an eternity as I crest the climb and I'm quickly closing in on that rocky descent. I should have the XS tomorrow and was told the programming for the x2 v3 was the same as the XS, if the XS works like your X2 v3.1 and my x2 v2 then I'll give Jim or gloworm a call and see what can be done.

    I hate to sound picky here and don't want to seem like I'm trying to take advantage of Jim at action since he's been so helpful so far with a replacement battery and endless answers. It's just for weekly night rides its manageable especially when used on the bars and most riders probably wouldn't care. But when I'm using these for 24hr solo races and have to change the light level from low to high on to off several times a lap to extend battery life the UI is kind critical.

    In the mean time I can't wait for that XS to show up so I can go poach some single track in nearly freezing weather tomorrow.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    Can the brightness in flash mode be altered with Gloworm lights like it can with the Gemini Duo? I'd rather not be flashing more then 300 lumens at oncoming traffic from a helmet light.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,711
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    Yeah I just tried the 5 seconds then release deal and it works but it doesn't come on untill you "release" the button, so that 5 seconds is going to be an eternity as I crest the climb and I'm quickly closing in on that rocky descent. I should have the XS tomorrow and was told the programming for the x2 v3 was the same as the XS, if the XS works like your X2 v3.1 and my x2 v2 then I'll give Jim or gloworm a call and see what can be done.

    I hate to sound picky here and don't want to seem like I'm trying to take advantage of Jim at action since he's been so helpful so far with a replacement battery and endless answers. It's just for weekly night rides its manageable especially when used on the bars and most riders probably wouldn't care. But when I'm using these for 24hr solo races and have to change the light level from low to high on to off several times a lap to extend battery life the UI is kind critical.

    In the mean time I can't wait for that XS to show up so I can go poach some single track in nearly freezing weather tomorrow.
    I tried this 5 sec push/hold idea. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Same with the 2nd program. There is no consistent operational protocol for getting the X2 (v3) to turn on. Sometimes takes minutes to get the lamp to come on ( in the menu you want ).

    My suggestion for race helmet use (v3 ) is to never turn the lamp off, rather turn it to the lowest level ( which you can set for minimal output ) and then just let it run. Not the perfect solution but unless Gloworm wants to come forward and do a recall of their product it seems the only reasonable option you have to save run time ( without turning the lamp off ).

    In the mean time I'm beginning to feel like an unwilling "beta" tester. I paid full price for a product that failed to meet the expectations that were talked about before the product was released. While the product I have is still usable I expected better. That said I will no longer be the first to spend my own money on a Gloworm product until I know for sure that the product lives up to the hype. I'm no longer going to be the beta guinea pig for a product that failed to meet expectations.

    I feel Gloworm needs to issue a recall on the first line of X2 ( v3 )'s that were sold. Changes that need to be made as follows; Make sure all customers have a workable UI with the promised new UI. "New optics" should be included with all X2 (v3)s'. Add to that the remote wire needs to be long enough to work with longer handlebars. Now if they do all this I will soften my tone otherwise I'll let the chips fall where they may.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    480
    Jim is in the process of helping me out with my problem and I'm going to try a couple things. I just got done telling Jim that I'd feel better about sending my lighthead back if I knew "Gloworm" was stepping up to the plate to help him out and he isn't just trying to absorb their error. I don't want to lose another top notch bike product distributor like we did with geoman gear and the magicshine battery recall debacle because I'm sure we all know people like Jim in the retail world are rare these days.

    Cat I'm sure you feel the same way in regards to this.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    480
    I let a friend who wants to get into night MTBing try out the v3 a couple nights ago and he absolutly loved its performance, I did however make sure it was on before sending him off for the second half of his ride. I may sell my X2 V2 to him once I get the X2 V3 situation solved then I'll be sending him over to action to get a second X1 or X2 for his helmet.

    My other buddy was trying to be a cheap ass and bought those ebay magicshine knockoffs for like $30 and the performance was laughable at best. I'm going to try and defuse his POS lights to help spread his super narrow beam pattern but I already told him he should be looking to get some gloworms for his new $4000 bike he just built. It's like going XX1 and then trying to put a $10 chain on, it's just seems silly to me.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,711
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    Jim is in the process of helping me out with my problem and I'm going to try a couple things. I just got done telling Jim that I'd feel better about sending my lighthead back if I knew "Gloworm" was stepping up to the plate to help him out and he isn't just trying to absorb their error. I don't want to lose another top notch bike product distributor like we did with geoman gear and the magicshine battery recall debacle because I'm sure we all know people like Jim in the retail world are rare these days.

    Cat I'm sure you feel the same way in regards to this.
    Absolutely. I place none of the blame for this on ActionLED. I'm sure Jim will do all he can to back what he sells. I'm not advocating a ban on the product but I would like to see "Gloworm" ( the manufacturer ) be more forthcoming in making sure that everyone gets what they thought they were paying for.

  10. #110
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    364
    Cat, you need to clean out your PM inbox. Trying to send you a message but your box is full.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  11. #111
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    My other buddy was trying to be a cheap ass and bought those ebay magicshine knockoffs for like $30 and the performance was laughable at best.
    Those are the same lights that Cat recommends as being a good value in other threads?

    *****

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Those are the same lights that Cat recommends as being a good value in other threads?

    *****
    I'm not sure but probably not since my friend isn't on mtbr as far as I know. They were single emitter 808 style. The funny thing was is he was really happy with them on his test ride last weekend but when I showed up to our weekly wed night ride and saw what everyone else is running it was apparent that his setup lacking. There's quite of few riders in our group that run up to three cheap headlights on their bars but that's not going to cut it if you care about wieght or flipping setting on the fly. In the end I don't care what others run so long as they continue to show up to our night rides and keep the ride alive.

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,711
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Those are the same lights that Cat recommends as being a good value in other threads?

    *****
    You mean that "Cat and almost everyone else recommends as being a good value in other threads"? If someone doesn't like the output/beam pattern from one of those doesn't mean it wasn't a good value. A couple days ago I saw a single emitter XM-L bike lamp on Kaidomain for $16. It was a 3-mode lamp with battery ( I think ). Even with a lousy battery you can't beat the value. Add to that just because something has value doesn't mean there isn't something that will beat it. Depends on what you want, what you get and what your expectations were when you ordered it as to how something rates as value. If you buy a lamp that put's out over 600 lumen, has multi-modes, operates as expected and gets you 2 hours run time, for $25 that's a decent value IMO. Doesn't mean there isn't something better that you will like more.

    Back in the day with my old halogens, if your bulb or battery lasted a year you were lucky and those were much more money to replace. Not to mention the output wasn't no where near what the present LED lamps are able to produce.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    480
    Yeah they we're a good value for the $ but total crap compared to a gloworm as far as performance. I often for get not everyone has such high performance standards as I or like to rip down rocky single tracks faster then most would ever consider during the day.

  15. #115
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    298

    Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?

    Hey,

    We are working very closely with Jim and Joey, the USA distributor. Jim will not be out of pocket, as any lights he has been replacing will subsequently being replaced by us.

    There is no way we would leave retailers to absorb warranties, we have a solid warranty process with our retailers and distributors. We replace warranties ASAP and attempt to get faulty units back to assess issues.

    I urge you to get in touch with Jim to sort your issue an we will definitely be dealing with the units post situation.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm NZ


    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    Jim is in the process of helping me out with my problem and I'm going to try a couple things. I just got done telling Jim that I'd feel better about sending my lighthead back if I knew "Gloworm" was stepping up to the plate to help him out and he isn't just trying to absorb their error. I don't want to lose another top notch bike product distributor like we did with geoman gear and the magicshine battery recall debacle because I'm sure we all know people like Jim in the retail world are rare these days.

    Cat I'm sure you feel the same way in regards to this.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  16. #116
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    298

    Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?

    Cat,

    I appreciate and understand your position.

    When we sent the units to the market these irregularities did not exist in all the products, but have begun to show up. We would never send a product to market to be tested by the customers.

    The issues you and some others have incurred has been traced to a programming issue and can be rectified - as offered by PM.

    We are progressively replacing units as and when customers get in touch as not all units are reacting in this way and many customers, not all online, are very happy with the product.

    Regarding the cable length, this is not a quick fix however we have now made the change in addition to a material change to the cable outer, making it more flexible and durable. The change will be seen in the market by the end of January.

    I understand your annoyance with the situation and all I can offer is assurance that we are continually working to keep our products top notch and right any weaknesses as quickly as possible. Please don't consider yourself to have been a 'beta' tester as this was never the intention. The issues were pure technical issues that could not be predicted.

    Kind regards

    Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I tried this 5 sec push/hold idea. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Same with the 2nd program. There is no consistent operational protocol for getting the X2 (v3) to turn on. Sometimes takes minutes to get the lamp to come on ( in the menu you want ).

    My suggestion for race helmet use (v3 ) is to never turn the lamp off, rather turn it to the lowest level ( which you can set for minimal output ) and then just let it run. Not the perfect solution but unless Gloworm wants to come forward and do a recall of their product it seems the only reasonable option you have to save run time ( without turning the lamp off ).

    In the mean time I'm beginning to feel like an unwilling "beta" tester. I paid full price for a product that failed to meet the expectations that were talked about before the product was released. While the product I have is still usable I expected better. That said I will no longer be the first to spend my own money on a Gloworm product until I know for sure that the product lives up to the hype. I'm no longer going to be the beta guinea pig for a product that failed to meet expectations.

    I feel Gloworm needs to issue a recall on the first line of X2 ( v3 )'s that were sold. Changes that need to be made as follows; Make sure all customers have a workable UI with the promised new UI. "New optics" should be included with all X2 (v3)s'. Add to that the remote wire needs to be long enough to work with longer handlebars. Now if they do all this I will soften my tone otherwise I'll let the chips fall where they may.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Cat,

    I appreciate and understand your position.

    When we sent the units to the market these irregularities did not exist in all the products, but have begun to show up. We would never send a product to market to be tested by the customers.

    The issues you and some others have incurred has been traced to a programming issue and can be rectified - as offered by PM.

    We are progressively replacing units as and when customers get in touch as not all units are reacting in this way and many customers, not all online, are very happy with the product.

    Regarding the cable length, this is not a quick fix however we have now made the change in addition to a material change to the cable outer, making it more flexible and durable. The change will be seen in the market by the end of January.

    I understand your annoyance with the situation and all I can offer is assurance that we are continually working to keep our products top notch and right any weaknesses as quickly as possible. Please don't consider yourself to have been a 'beta' tester as this was never the intention. The issues were pure technical issues that could not be predicted.

    Kind regards

    Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks Bruce for your feedback. I hope to see the improvements in the X2 ( v3 ) you mentioned in the future. I did get your PM. Since you have made it clear that all of the issues that I have beforehand mentioned will be addressed by the end of January 2014, I will wait until that time before trying to obtain a replacement.

    Personally, I am in no hurry. For the record I felt it necessary to speak out not so much because I was so dissatisfied with the product but because I wanted to know that other people who might buy the product get everything normally expected out of what I consider, "a premium product". It seems to me now that you are taking the proper steps to correct the problems and to keep ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS satisfied.

    Anyone else that has previously bought the X2 (v3) and has had the same problems that I ( and others ) have had be sure to contact the distributor you bought from to check when and how replacements will be provided and when they will become available. Kudo's to both Jim ( ActionLED ) and Bruce ( Gloworm Products ) for taking the bull by the horns.

  18. #118
    Slovakia (Europe)
    Reputation: PeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Hi, can anybody tell, what is the real difference between v3 and v3.1? I've found a note: "v3.1 is updated from v3.0 with new optics to better focus the beam" on Action-LED-Light sites, but nothing on Gloworm pages. Is the new optics retro-usable for v3 lighthead?

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pabcor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    40
    Good light Gloworm X2 V3.1

    Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-dsc03501-24.jpg
    Last edited by pabcor; 03-30-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    Looking for power lights?, see here

  20. #120
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    364
    X2v3.0 and X2v3.1 are terms we adopted here at Action LED Lights to differentiate between before and after some minor changes that Gloworm made to the light. They are not using the label v3.1 themselves.
    The X2v3.0 had the same optics as the v2 but added higher output and programing.
    The X2v3.1 switched to the same optics as the XS and has a little better focus. The optics are not interchangeable since the body of the light got slightly longer to accommodate the new optic.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  21. #121
    Slovakia (Europe)
    Reputation: PeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Thanks very much for explanation. I just wonder, if v3.0 lights available in EU (crgmoto, etc.) are new optics or not, same v3.0 designation for old and new optics is confusing ...

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    X2v3.0 and X2v3.1 are terms we adopted here at Action LED Lights to differentiate between before and after some minor changes that Gloworm made to the light. They are not using the label v3.1 themselves.
    The X2v3.0 had the same optics as the v2 but added higher output and programing.
    The X2v3.1 switched to the same optics as the XS and has a little better focus. The optics are not interchangeable since the body of the light got slightly longer to accommodate the new optic.
    Jim, I'm still a little confused about all this v3 verses v3.1 thing. I thought when I bought mine that I was getting upgraded optics. Can you give me the length measurement of the v3.1 so I can compare it to mine.

    Lastly, nice to read about changes. I would like to think that a willingness to actually change the dimensions of the lamp would also suggest a willingness to perhaps add 3 or 4mm to the remote wire. That said have there been any changes to remote length?

  23. #123
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    364
    Cat,

    The easy way to tell the difference between the 3.0 and the 3.1 is to look at the back cap of the light. Were is says X2, the crossbar of the X has 1500 printed in it for the 3.1, nothing on the 3.0.
    If you have some calipers handy the 3.0 is 34.4mm front to back and the 3.1 is 36mm.
    The change to the beam is small. If I have time this week I could run the beam pattern test on both.
    A change to the wire is in the works. It will be a running change which means there will be no version number change, not even for us since the service parts will not change. I can't quite predict when the change will occur but it's not too far off.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antipop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    273
    Does anyone have a photo of the X2 V3 set up on their helmet that they could share?
    life is steeper than it looks

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pabcor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    40
    Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-image.jpg
    Looking for power lights?, see here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gloworm X1 clones
    By zuuds in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 03:30 PM
  2. Magicshine battery w/ gloworm x1?
    By BmoreKen in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
  3. Gemini Duo vs. Gloworm X2
    By Sevenz in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
  4. Gloworm Battery Experiences
    By GraXXoR in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
  5. gloworm or gemini olympia
    By Leethal in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •