Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Glowormlites UK
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    I own an X2 version 3. I really like the build quality and the amount of light. However, the system feels extremely slow, and I can never get to the light mode I want in the first try. Last time I went for a night ride I was racing some of the guys in my local club. I couldn't get the light to go into the 1500 lumen mode, so I was stuck with the low setting. Annoying. It feels like a bug in the assembler code, or a slow processor (bad code?).
    You should contact the supplier of your light and they will get this resolved for you.

Catman - following customer feedback Gloworm have now changed the UI for the latest batch of the X2 v3 to a single click for on in Trail mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crgmoto View Post
    You should contact the supplier of your light and they will get this resolved for you.

Catman - following customer feedback Gloworm have now changed the UI for the latest batch of the X2 v3 to a single click for on in Trail mode.
    Well this is news to me! I hope this is something good but does leave the question, "How is the second race menu brought up"?

More important, did they increase the length of the remote cable?

@ Jim from ActionLED; Can you confirm any of this change?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?

Hi Cat

We did do a review and have adjusted the programming to enable a single click to enter the trail programme, while we have maintained a double click to enter the commuter mode.

Due to manufacturing constraints we have not lengthened the remote switch however it is on the list.

As always we are always refining our products and will react as fast as we can with changes to improve customer experience.

Cheers

Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I've now had a set of Gloworms for about 3 weeks and I figured it was time to give my impressions.

I have an X1v2 and X2v3. The X1 is on the helmet with the two cell battery and the X2 is on the bars with a 4 cell. The two lights certainly compliment each other with beam pattern and intensity.

I reprogrammed the light settings to get roughly matching run times between the lights, so High=2.25-2.5hrs runtime, Med=4.5-5hrs runtime, and Low=8.5-9hrs runtime. The biggest change to the default settings was the med setting on the X1, the others were just small tweaks if needed at all.

Light color is best described as white. The two lights have the same temperature light so the beams blend perfectly. The optics of the X1 definitely focus the light and give it more throw (I'm using the standard spot lense). If I swing the X1 beam across the area lit up by the X2, it is clear the spot is more "intense" then the flood pattern of the X2. It doesn't overwhelm it at all, but the 950 lumens "looks" brighter then the 1500 out of the X2. This is a compliment for the X1 more than a complaint about the X2.

In practice, I have found that I do most of my climbing and slower flat riding with the lights in the dim setting (ultra low, 48hrs runtime). I bump it up to low if speeding up on flat ground. Downhill I haven't actually needed to run them on high. Medium has plenty of light on trails I know and I don't find myself wanting more. I still bump it up to high for really high speed sections, or if my remaining battery life is excessive for the amount of riding I have left to do. I consider it a luxury, though, and not really needed. Around town I use a mix of low and dim.

Of the special modes, I leave the standard program default with the dim setting, but changed the "commute" program so that the special mode is "strobe" rather than "flash". I feel the flash setting is too bright around traffic, and I don't ride on roads much anyway.

I first mounted the 2 cell battery on the back of my helmet, but I couldn't get it "solid" enough for my tastes. It would flop around a little, which is something that bothers me with any device, so I added the extension cord and moved it to the backpack. I run the plug under one of the loops on my shoulder so I can easily reach/find it when I need to disconnect. The weight of the battery on the helmet was never really an issue for me, and the loose mounting is more due to the shape of the helmet and location of the vents I mounted to. The 4 cell for the bar light just goes in my water bottle holder, which allows me to solidly mount it with no swinging back and forth or movement.

I'm very happy so far and look forward to night rides whenever possible!

I do have two questions, though.

First, the light on the batteries sometimes flashes while charging, and sometimes stay solid. At first I thought that it would change from flashing to solid as each "level" was filled, but I get mixed results from unplugging and plugging it back in (will go from flashing to solid, or vice versa). It's not a problem, but I'm just curious what the difference between flashing and solid is when it is charging?

The second is about mounting orientation. I prefer the button on the left side of the handlebar. It's a carryover from riding motorcycles where I'm much more used to/comfortable taking my left hand off the bars than my right. I can reach the button on the bars w/o removing my hand, but I need to remove it to adjust the helmet light so I keep them on the same side. Mounting the switch on the left side means the quick release needs to go on the right side of the stem, effectively mounting the light "upside down". Is there any possible concern to having the light upside down from a heat dissipation, vibration, etc... standpoint?

Again, great product and I'm very satisfied. I second (third, fourth?) the suggestion to lengthen the button cord. I would also love to see a slicker mount for the switch on the bars. I snapped one of the rubber band mounts attempting to bend it 90 degrees so I could stick to the switch to it. I now plan on grinding it down as flat a possible and throwing some gloss black paint on it so the adhesive will stick. If this is successful I'll post up some pictures.

Action LED Lights
    Fleezus,

In answer to your 2 questions;
    For the first, it's my understanding that the battery flashes while charging and turns solid when fully charged. I'm running a couple through a charge cycle to confirm.
    For the second, right side up or upside down makes no difference. You can mount it on the top of the bar, on the bottom or straight out. On the right or left.
    On cord length, I agree a little longer would be good but also, the Y needs to be reversed. The light is usually mounted at the center of the bar and the battery on the stem or frame at the center of the bike. The battery lead needs to come back towards the center rather than out towards the switch.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    ...the Y needs to be reversed. The light is usually mounted at the center of the bar and the battery on the stem or frame at the center of the bike. The battery lead needs to come back towards the center rather than out towards the switch.
    ^^ That would make a lot more sense ^^

If these suggested changes make it to production, and a nice discount/sale comes along ... I'm ready to jump in 8)

mtbr member

For the first, it's my understanding that the battery flashes while charging and turns solid when fully charged. I'm running a couple through a charge cycle to confirm.

On cord length, I agree a little longer would be good but also, the Y needs to be reversed. The light is usually mounted at the center of the bar and the battery on the stem or frame at the center of the bike. The battery lead needs to come back towards the center rather than out towards the switch.
    This is what I thought, too, when I first got the light. In practice I've had it do both ways and I just use the light on the charger as the indicator of whether it's done charging or not. What I meant about unplugging it and plugging it back in is that it will be flashing 80%, and after re-attaching it the light will be solid 80%. In either case it finishes charging just fine and the light on the charger will go from red to green. Again, not a problem at all. Just something I noticed and was curious about. Both batteries do it.

Thank you for the quick responses and your great customer service. ActionLED kicks ass!
    Last edited by Fleezus; 12-06-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Misunderstood something, removed question

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How's the thermal "capacity" of the x2 vs. the Duo? I recently purchased the duo and like it except for it dropping to low due to over heating, even though it's winter here and I'm moving on the bike. Can the x2 tolerate running in high for an extended period with ambient temps in the 60s or above, while moving at the slower speeds you encounter on technical trails? Ex avg 5 or 6 mph?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've never had an X2 power down due to heat whilst riding, it will if you are stationary for any length of time but not if there is airflow over the light.

The fins on the X2 give it a very large surface area to dissipate heat. The X2 is a larger/heavier unit than the Duo which is of benefit in 2 ways - increased surface area and more metal to act as a heat sink to draw heat away from the emitters.

Action LED Lights
    One difference between the X2 and Duo is the way they handle overheating. If you put both lights on high in still air and let them heat up, when the Duo reaches a dangerous temperature, it cycles down to low until it has time to cool and then powers back up.
    The X2 (I tested a v3) powers down gradually until the temperature stops rising. It is so slow that you have a hard time noticing that it's changing but it starts right away. It will then reach an equilibrium temperature and vary slightly up and down from there. If you then start moving or put a fan on the light it starts brightening until it reaches a new equilibrium.
    Here a plot of brightness over about 8 1/2 minutes in still air @ 64 degreesF

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-screen-shot-2013-12-09-9.01.07-pm.png
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Action LED Lights

Gloworm X2 upgrade

Gloworm has just release a minor upgrade to the X2 which now shares optics with the XS. (We'll call it v3.1 to differentiate it.) The optics are a little deeper allowing the light to be better focused and more efficiently reflected. There looks to be about a 10% increase in light output for the X2 with this change. Francios has the new version and I am anxious to see how his testing compares to mine.

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-x2v3.0vs3.0.jpg

Unfortunately do to their larger size they cannot be fitted into the older version. To accommodate the housing depth (front to back) has been increased by about 3mm.

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-compare-optics.jpg

A nice little improvement as Gloworm continues to push the envelope and leave their competition one step farther behind.

These v3.1 lights are now in stock and shipping as of the first of the week.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    ^ and that's why after acquiring an X1, my next two lights will be Gloworms.

mtbr member

A nice little improvement as Gloworm continues to push the envelope and leave their competition one step farther behind.

A nice improvement and I guess there always will be improvements, but I'm sure a lot of people who already bought the X2 v3 or earlier XS without the modifications might be annoyed at getting what would perceived to be an 'inferior' version now.

I for one am glad I held off but now might wait even longer if indeed I pull the trigger. I know these are good products, but the prices have jumped a whole lot and IMO not so competitively priced anymore.

Were these changes made my Action-LED or Gloworm?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    A nice improvement and I guess there always will be improvements, but I'm sure a lot of people who already bought the X2 v3 or earlier XS without the modifications might be annoyed at getting what would perceived to be an 'inferior' version now.

I for one am glad I held off but now might wait even longer if indeed I pull the trigger. I know these are good products, but the prices have jumped a whole lot and IMO not so competitively priced anymore.

Were these changes made my Action-LED or Gloworm?
    Of course the changes were made by Gloworm (Action is a retailer who is supplied lights by our USA distributor - but he does a fantastic job and we receive a lot of great feedback from Jim). We have received a lot of feedback regarding the performance of our products and as such will continually improve. If any changes are going to be dramatic we will plan to release the product once the previous version has almost been sold out.

We deemed this type of improvement as a refinement rather than an upgrade, it was also part of the plan to make more efficient our manufacturing process with the investment in our own custom optic that fit both the XS and X2.

Happy to receive feedback as it is what promotes our products to be the best they can.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

Action LED Lights
    Blackbean,

Bruce can correct me if I'm wrong but the XS has had these new optics since day one.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Blackbean,

Bruce can correct me if I'm wrong but the XS has had these new optics since day one.
    Jim, that is correct. We designed the XS platform around the new optics.

mtbr member
    While I can't help but be a little disappointed that I'm missing out on the new optics with my recently purchased X2v3, I fully encourage the active development and quick updates that Gloworm does.

It's really funny how the psychological game works in our heads. Take something that we are completely satisfied with, dangle something incrementally better in front of us, and suddenly the previous item isn't adequate anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleezus View Post
    While I can't help but be a little disappointed that I'm missing out on the new optics with my recently purchased X2v3, I fully encourage the active development and quick updates that Gloworm does.

It's really funny how the psychological game works in our heads. Take something that we are completely satisfied with, dangle something incrementally better in front of us, and suddenly the previous item isn't adequate anymore.
    Well said. That is so true. And that's why I resisted the urge just to jump to the X2 v3 or the XS. I will always like an improved light but am trying to not just jump the gun. That being said, I think I will keep my X2 v2 and just use it as a dedicated spot if I buy a new light. Hopefully Francois will complete the reviews on the new Gloworm line up soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=Action LED Lights;
    A nice little improvement as Gloworm continues to push the envelope
    .[/QUOTE]

This is why I've decided to give Gloworm my business and buy this light. I've got one question before I order. Jim, I don't see where I can order an extra set of optics. I want to try different combinations and I'd like to order them with the light. Do you have them in stock yet?
    Mole

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    This is why I've decided to give Gloworm my business and buy this light. I've got one question before I order. Jim, I don't see where I can order an extra set of optics. I want to try different combinations and I'd like to order them with the light. Do you have them in stock yet?
    Mole
    Now listed: XS Spot Optic
    However, spare optics are included with the XS. For the newer X2 they are extra.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I only managed to get out once since I got the X2V3.1 but it appears like I got just what I was looking for. I took my duo out with the Gloworm and the results were: similar beam width and brightness but the Gloworm had A LOT MORE THROW. It's like they took the extra power and just added to the reach of the beam, not brighter in the foreground just a nice smooth even beam, perfect for my eyes. It also appears that the X2V3.1 runs cooler too. I ran both lights on high for a little less than a mile at about 5 mph - Gloworm warm to the touch and the due was hot. I also ran them for a couple of minutes with no airflow when I got home and the Gloworm cooled down much quicker so I think the X2V3.1 is going to be a cooler running light. I haven't tried switching to the spot/spot optic combo yet or even tried it on my helmet but I'm pleased so far.

One question for Jim @ ActionLEDlights. I noticed you mentioned in the XS thread that the wide angle lens had some issues and that you'd recommend running all spot optics on the XS which shares optics with the X2V3.1. I running the stock wide/spot and was planning on testing that for a while but will change right away if the spot/spot combo is better in every way. Thanks for the great service! What's your opinion?
    Mole

Action LED Lights
    Mole,

Here's the beam pattern plot for the X2v3.1 with each lens combo.
    The results are as expected with the wide angle lens only reducing the amount of light. You'll have to wait a little while to get a spot lens as we're sold out at the moment.

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-x2v3.1.jpg
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Gloworm has just release a minor upgrade to the X2 which now shares optics with the XS. (We'll call it v3.1 to differentiate it.) The optics are a little deeper allowing the light to be better focused and more efficiently reflected. There looks to be about a 10% increase in light output for the X2 with this change. Francios has the new version and I am anxious to see how his testing compares to mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X2v3.0vs3.0.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	854250

Unfortunately do to their larger size they cannot be fitted into the older version. To accommodate the housing depth (front to back) has been increased by about 3mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compare Optics.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	854252

Okay, now I'm a little confused. When I bought the X2 (v3) it was hyped with the New emitter ( XM-L2 "U2" ), new programming and new optics. As far as I knew I was getting "new optics" when I purchased the X2 (v3).

If you look at the original Gloworm thread ( see post #1150 posted on 9/23/13 ) is says this;

Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey all, passing through Yosemite National Park as I write this......the new optics are appx 10% brighter regardless of the emitter, well actually we tested them with the previous emitters. So all up increase is including optics and new emitters.

Unfortunately the new optics a not backwards compatible, to get an increased output we needed to lengthen the optics by 1.2mm and play around with the interior design also.

The X2 will be powered using a 5800 mAhr 4 cell battery. The XS will also be powered by a 4 cell battery.........a 6800mAhr battery, using new 3400 Panasonic cells.

Additionally we are using the XM-L2 U2 LED....The brightest bin available.

Cheers

Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Now when I got mine I assumed the optics for the (v3) were of "new design" because of this conversation. To me they looked different but I didn't take the front of the lamp off to confirm that the optics were indeed "new design".

Any comment before I investigate further and decide to voice more on what I think about this issue? ( *Note, add to this I see no reference on the official Gloworm New Zealand site of there being a "3.1" version. I realize that some improvements were made to the programming from the original "v3" that I assume were done to eliminate the issues I encountered when I first got mine. That said as far as I know nothing yet was done to change the remote ( wire ) length. Now I am reading that the one I bought ( X2 (v3) ) "doesn't" have the new optics......is this true?
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 12-22-2013 at 01:36 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Cat,
    Although I don't know for sure, I'm guessing that since there is a chart on the action website showing a performance advantage for the 3.1 vs. the 3 version and they have the same emitters that there must have been an optic upgrade between the two. I do know that I don't have any of the UI problems that you experienced. On my 3.1 one push on the remote button turns the light on, and each additional push changes the intensity level, no lag, no hickups, works great.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have to try like 4-5 times with the single push to get my x2 v3 to turn on. For now its not a big problem with it being on handlebar but when I get the XS tomorrow the X2 v3 is going up on the helmet. It's going to be a huge PITA if I have to have one hand off the bars for 20 seconds as I keep trying to get my helmet light to turn on. The one thing I notice it I can always get it to switch on in commuter mode with the quick double tap but the single press is just frustrating. I'm considering adjusting the commuter mode to suit my trail needs since it switches on every time first time but it sucks ill only have two setting to work with

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast