Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    So here's my .02

I've had numerous cheap Chinese lights. Probably 6 total. My buddies have them too so I'd say we have maybe 12 total. A couple have had light head issues but for the most part, they've been ok. The universal problem has been the poor batteries. All have consistently reduced in run time over a year to about 1/2. After several years they just don't work.

This is all ok as you can buy new cheap batteries cheap, usually 20 bucks. No guarantee they will even work but most do for a while. The good w/ this system is you can keep upgrading every year to the newest LED at very cheap cost.

On the other hand, I bought the Dinotte dual XML-3 when they first came out. I've started using them the last several weeks and again, they last forever and the batteries seem to have all the run time. They are lithium so of course when it gets cold they will reduce in run time but thankfully in the Bay Area I won't have to deal w/ anything under 40 degrees F most of Winter. I always talk the Dinotte's and they never fail. Maybe that's the difference in the 2 systems. I would never go out w/o the Dinotte's. Or Lupine's if I had those, etc, etc. You get the idea.
    i think it may not even be the batteries that are the problem but the charger. maybe both charger and batteries.

thanks for the post !

mtbr member

Gloworm X2 ( XM-L2 ) (U2): Trail testing

I took the new Gloworm X2 out tonight for a little spin. Trails were damp leaf covered and with a slight drizzle in the air. Not the ideal situation for testing a lamp but since it wasn't pouring down raining I went with it.

Fortunately I was not having any problem changing modes. I still want a longer wire but I'm good for now. I occasionally still have a problem getting the lamp to come on the first time. I guess I can't count to three all the time the same way. What can I say. Most of the time I get it right. With practice I should get better at counting to three....ya think.

I'm also having some problems getting it into the second menu on the first try. Really not a big deal as I always get it eventually but I wish it were more intuitive. The reason i say it's not such a big deal is because the original X2's were much more harder to change menu's. The new ones are much easier in comparison. I just wish it were more "Automatic".

Well the lamp definitely puts out some light. Occasionally I would hit a small stretch of trail that was not covered by leaves and almost completely dry. When I hit those spots boy would the trail light up, even in the low mode. Definitely lights things up better than any other duel XM-L lamp I own. Need I say, I l love being able to set my own mode light levels. Both menus set to my own specifications worked like a charm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I took the new Gloworm X2 out tonight for a little spin. Trails were damp leaf covered and with a slight drizzle in the air. Not the ideal situation for testing a lamp but since it wasn't pouring down raining I went with it.

Fortunately I was not having any problem changing modes. I still want a longer wire but I'm good for now. I occasionally still have a problem getting the lamp to come on the first time. I guess I can't count to three all the time the same way. What can I say. Most of the time I get it right. With practice I should get better at counting to three....ya think.

I'm also having some problems getting it into the second menu on the first try. Really not a big deal as I always get it eventually but I wish it were more intuitive. The reason i say it's not such a big deal is because the original X2's were much more harder to change menu's. The new ones are much easier in comparison. I just wish it were more "Automatic".

Well the lamp definitely puts out some light. Occasionally I would hit a small stretch of trail that was not covered by leaves and almost completely dry. When I hit those spots boy would the trail light up, even in the low mode. Definitely lights things up better than any other duel XM-L lamp I own. Need I say, I l love being able to set my own mode light levels. Both menus set to my own specifications worked like a charm.
    are you saying you upgraded a 1200 lumen light to a 1500 lumen one ? what happened to your original X2 ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    are you saying you upgraded a 1200 lumen light to a 1500 lumen one ? what happened to your original X2 ?
    yes, I still have it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have 1 ride on my x2 v3 and I love it so far. I was really impressed with the entire package. The light is awesome and all the details are spot on for my needs. I thought the UI functioned great on the stock "Trail Programme." I mounted the light to my helmet so the cord length wasn't an issue for me, but I could see how an additional 1 or 2 cm would help when mounting to the bar. I also agree that the junction which splits the power cord and the switch should be a little closer to the light head. Maybe they could offer the light with 2 different cord sizes, one for helmet mounting and weight weenies another with a slightly longer cord.

All things considered this light is awesome and it's one of my favorite new pieces of gear. Great Job Bruce and Vag. I also really like how you guys sell through Action LED, I never hesitate to spend my money there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-lights.jpg

Here is my new setup. X2 V3 on the helmet and 2 Olympias on the bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    ..Here is my new setup. X2 V3 on the helmet and 2 Olympias on the bars.
    Nice, more than enough light coming off the bars no doubt about that.
    Since you have the X2 on the helmet I'm going to comment about that.

IMO the new version of the X2 is not going to be as "helmet friendly" as the previous version. I say that because the new user interface makes turning the lamp on a bit more of a chore. When I use a helmet lamp I sometimes turn the lamp off unless I really need it for more technical riding. That said when it comes time to turn it on with the new version you will have to put one hand on the helmet, press the button and count about three seconds. THAT is not something always easy to do ( on the fly ) depending on what kind of trail you are on and what obstacles are in front of you.

When mounted on the bars it's not an issue because the remote is next to your thumb and your hands never have to leave the bars. Nope, when I use a helmet lamp I need to be able to "reach up quickly" and have the lamp turn on so I can control the bike. With the previous version it wasn't an issue. The new UI changes that.
    Now if you leave the lamp "ON" but on a low level when not needed than the issue with powering on the lamp is not so much an issue.

If there was something I would change with the new version it would definitely be with the new UI and how the lamp is turned on, regardless of menu choice. I need the issue of " Turning on the lamp", to be instantaneous. One touch and it needs to come on regardless of menu choice. If that means making it harder to select which menu you want I think I'd rather deal with that than dealing with a specific turn on procedure every time I want to turn the light on. Nope, give me "one touch" turn on regardless of menu and I'm happy. Gloworm people, I hope you're listening.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The only time I turn my helmet light off is when I'm stopped. I agree, the light should come on with one click. I think the only time I'll run into the issue you bring up is when I'm initially turning the lights on as the sun goes down, I can always stop if its a problem.

I just checked and once the light is turned on then off, the light fires up into trail program with one click. I'm not sure how long it will stay like that though. I'm going to leave it off for 15 min and see what happens.

**After 15 min off time the light fired up with one click into trail program.

***After messing with it some more it appears 1 firm "press" turns it back on while a click does not.

***I'm thinking if you turned your light on and off frequently it might be a pain.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lights.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	840708

That's a sweet set-up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    That's a sweet set-up.
    Thanks, I love it!

I just finished my 2nd ride with the x2 and once again it was awesome. I don't have any issues with the UI on the trail.

Here is the Strava link for anyone interested:

Bike Ride Profile | 16miles near Redding | Times and Records | Strava

Around mile 4 I saw a bear. It was big and it ran across the trail really fast. I only saw it for a second, my buddy was 20 yards behind me and he missed it. It was still light out at the time.

mtbr member
    ....I just checked and once the light is turned on then off, the light fires up into trail program with one click. I'm not sure how long it will stay like that though. I'm going to leave it off for 15 min and see what happens.

**After 15 min off time the light fired up with one click into trail program.

***After messing with it some more it appears 1 firm "press" turns it back on while a click does not.

***I'm thinking if you turned your light on and off frequently it might be a pain.
    Yes, yes...glad you posted this. I noticed the same thing when I was messing with it yesterday. Basically this is what I saw: When you start up in the Commuter Programme it takes two quick pushes, no problem. BUT...if you try to switch back to the Trail Programme by holding it three seconds; the Commuter Prog. comes back up! When I try it again, same thing happens. Next I tried to just use a single quick press and surprisingly THAT WORKED! Maybe when the light has been sitting for some time it needs the 3 sec start up for the Trail programme. This might be a safety feature not mentioned in the instructions.

Once the lights has been working a while a single quick press seems to bring up the trail program BUT if you don't do the single press "just right", it doesn't work. The same with the Commuter program, if you don't get the double click just right it won't come on ( or you get the Trail Programme instead )

Anyway you look at it this is not the ideal situation. I'll likely keep mine because I use it on the bars where it is not so much of an issue. When I turn mine off I'm usually stopped anyway. So turning it on is not a big deal. Still, little things like this tend to annoy me. I've been practicing with it for a while and every once in a while it might take two or three attempts to get the menu I want to come on.

mtbr member

Gloworm X2 v3: Surprisingly Brighter

Well after talking about the bad stuff for a while now for some good news. I was screwing around with some of my other lights and decided to do some quick lux comparisons with some of my other lights. First up was the Quad XM-L (T-6) lamp that I got from D/X. Previously I thought this was one of my brighter lamps. Well, short story shorter, the X2 v3 beats it hands down. No question about it. Next I tried my Chinese Tri-clone; Nope, not even close. The new X2 is shooting um' down like tin ducks in a shooting gallery

Still, this was just an impromptu lux test. No way to compare the total lumen output of each of the lamps but if the lux read-out is any indication the new X2 is rocking the Chinese boat some kind'a hard. ( comparison done at about 1.5 meter )

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I don't have quad-XML one, but all my 3*LED, 5*LED and 7*LED lights were significantly underpowered in the default state - so, it's really fine for X2 not to follow that "tradition". Most of ordinary users aren't going to mod the lights anyway, so having ready-to-use model is quite handy for them.

As for measurement, de-facto "standard" is to do it at 1 meter distance. To compare overall light distribution with luxmeter only, I use my "homemade" method of several measurements at different angle from the axis: it gives relatively useful information about beam's brightness...

Absolute values (Lux):

Relative to the center of beam (%):

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm about to get back into the regular night riding game and it looks as though the X2 V3 is my favourite so far.

It's reassuring to read Bruce's comments about the quality of the components going into the lights, after all those tempting $50 chinese lights have passed before my eyes on the web, I just kept thinking I'd be out of light in the middle of nowhere or looking for a replacement battery before you know it.

I had a lupine nightmare that lasted for 6 years before the battery died and foolishly replaced it with a Nukeproof reactor which hasn't really given me much service life before battery death, nor was the beam pattern as good.

My Dinnote 200L helmet light has served me well for several years as well and only just succumbed to a connector failure which needs fixing

The gloworm has all those things i loved about the nightmare, programmable, remote, good build quality, yet costs significantly less than a Piko 7.

Just gotta see if I can find one in Perth to "feel the merchandise"
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It looks as though the v3 won't be in Oz for another 2-3 months according to the shop I was in yesterday! This strikes me as odd considering that it's already in the USA and Nz is a bit closer to us here....Is it worth hanging on for one or just going for a v2 at a good price?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marmoset View Post
    It looks as though the v3 won't be in Oz for another 2-3 months according to the shop I was in yesterday! This strikes me as odd considering that it's already in the USA and Nz is a bit closer to us here....Is it worth hanging on for one or just going for a v2 at a good price?
    If you really like the idea of being able to program your own mode output levels and you can afford the extra money I think it would be worth waiting.

mtbr member
    Or you could just buy one from here now:Action-LED-Lights — GLOWORM X2 v3 1500 lumen Bike Light

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cheers guys,not sure what to make of it all now! On a light output point of view, is the jump worth it from v2 to v3?

mtbr member
    Cheers guys,not sure what to make of it all now! On a light output point of view, is the jump worth it from v2 to v3?
    Not that I'm hawking for Gloworm but the ~ 300 lumen increase OTF is not only measurable but noticeable. It will not however dynamically change how well you can ride unless you have previously been using something with considerable less output.

If you're living down under your summer riding season is approaching fast. Whatever you buy you should plan for two lights, one for the bar ( Gloworm ) and one for the helmet. You might want to take a good look at the lamps offered by Xeccon Revolution which is very close to your neck of the woods. They offer some decent lamps/batteries that should be able to reach you really quick. On the other hand if you are looking for a local vendor where you can demo before buying that would be a different issue.

If that's the case you might want to consider buying some, "Just get me by for the moment" Chinese lamps. While you still might not be able to eyeball the lamps before buying at least you can get a good idea how they work by reading this forum. You should be able to buy a couple cheap Chinese lamps ( with batteries ) for about a $100 AUD. As close as you are to China you should get those real quick and have you riding in no time. Later ( when/if ) you decide to upgrade you will have some spare lamps ( for friends to borrow ) or back-ups when needed. Many people here on this forum are using the cheap Chinese lamps. While they have their pro's and con's they usually work good enough to provide the novice/sport rider with enough light to get some really nice night rides in.

Time to stop riding the fence. Roll the dice and take some chances so you can enjoy the night. Anyway, don't wait long. The Christmas rush is fast approaching and after that the Chinese New year holiday. In a couple weeks the vendors will run out of the popular items and start taking back orders. Now is the time to place orders if you want your stuff before Christmas.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks cat-man-do , I jumped and bought the v2 just a few hours ago, the price was too good to turn down. They blow away the previous light, a nukeproof reactor, which was always a bit of a disappointment compared to the lupine nightmare I'd run prior to it.

It's nice to have a light that's clearly had a lot of though put into it, I've just gotta see if I can alter my lupine peppi(?) switch holder to secure the switch on the bars more securely.

I'll use the gloworm on the bars with my dinotte on the helmet, but that may be like a candle compared to the X2!
    If this is an issue I can always stick the x2 on the helmet and either run it alone or buy a v3 to go with it

Thanks again

Rich
    Last edited by marmoset; 11-16-2013 at 05:07 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I would recommend the gloworm X1 for your helmet. I run the X2 V3 on the bar and the X1 V2 on my helmet and really like it. The X1 is amazingly small and lightweight and the throw is excellent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I own an X2 version 3. I really like the build quality and the amount of light. However, the system feels extremely slow, and I can never get to the light mode I want in the first try. Last time I went for a night ride I was racing some of the guys in my local club. I couldn't get the light to go into the 1500 lumen mode, so I was stuck with the low setting. Annoying. It feels like a bug in the assembler code, or a slow processor (bad code?).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Nice, more than enough light coming off the bars no doubt about that.
    Since you have the X2 on the helmet I'm going to comment about that.

IMO the new version of the X2 is not going to be as "helmet friendly" as the previous version. I say that because the new user interface makes turning the lamp on a bit more of a chore. When I use a helmet lamp I sometimes turn the lamp off unless I really need it for more technical riding. That said when it comes time to turn it on with the new version you will have to put one hand on the helmet, press the button and count about three seconds. THAT is not something always easy to do ( on the fly ) depending on what kind of trail you are on and what obstacles are in front of you.
    Catman, I think the reason for the new ON sequence is that it prevents accidentally turning on the light when transporting it in a bag or something. More and more manufacturers are doing this and I think it's a good thing. Nothing like getting to your destination and finding your battery drained.

Also, you seem to be pretty annoyed by the 3 second requirement to turn the light on. Why don't you just depress the button until the light clicks on and then let go instead of trying to count and anticipate when the light will turn on? Seems a lot simpler and less prone to error or frustration. Just hold and let go when you see the beam appear.

But this goes to show you cannot never satisfy everyone and an argument can always be made for or against something.

As for your issue with turning the light on and off during rides, I guess that's an artifact of days when batteries just didn't have enough juice (to a lesser degree, overheating is also an issue) and people turned their lights of to conserve juice. These days I never turn my light off if I need or want to stop for whatever reason. I just turn it to LOW which prevents overheating and draining the battery. I also run on low when going slow at any time. I find this a lot easier than having to deal with turning the light on and off.

Again, not telling you what to do, but I think there are pretty easy solutions to the things that seem to annoy you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lights.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	840708

Quick question..On your 2 Olympias on the bar are you running each on its own battery or using a Y cable to one battery? I am looking to do the same on my Duo's for the bar.

If using one battery, what capacity is it and what are your approx run time? Any other input on running this configuration would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Quick question..On your 2 Olympias on the bar are you running each on its own battery or using a Y cable to one battery? I am looking to do the same on my Duo's for the bar.

If using one battery, what capacity is it and what are your approx run time? Any other input on running this configuration would be appreciated.
    I have a 6 cell MS battery (MJ-6038) with a Y cable and I also have 2 of the high capacity MS 4 cells (Mj-6030H) for longer rides. If I'm going on a really long night ride I'll just run one Olympia. With the 6 cell I usually run for about 45 min on medium then 30-40 min on high (short rides only).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast