Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Nor­wegr
    I got the X2 V3 about a week ago and so far it's been great, I really like the size of the led housing.

However, I could have bought about 5 China lights for the same price with double the amount of leds. What's the most cost effective in the long run I'm not sure about yet.

mtbr member

Update on wire length issue and Powering on issue

I got playing around with the wire and stretched it slightly by warming and rubbing it gently. I think I managed to get a couple more mm out of it. Not much more but it was enough to get the button to center on my Rapidfire clamp.
    Now as long as it stays in place there I think I might be fine.

The "powering on' issue still exist. I tried practicing with it for almost half an hour. The good news is I always get it to come on ( although it might take a couple tries ). Once on it works flawlessly. No problems changing modes or turning off. As I mentioned before there is small delay when changing modes but the more I play with it the less important that issue seems. Now that the button is more in reach it works better. ( **See Below )

Tomorrow when I get off work I might try another ride so I can check out how the new position is going to work. Hopefully trails will be dryer.

(**Update; Okay, it seems it you hold the button down for about three seconds ( and then let go ) the first programme comes on. Count to three and it seems to work most of the time. With the previous X2 you just had to press the switch and it came on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Why not just supply Cat with a new light with a longer remote cord? Many people run wide bars, including me, and the length of the remote shouldn't be a limiting factor.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Why not just supply Cat with a new light with a longer remote cord? Many people run wide bars, including me, and the length of the remote shouldn't be a limiting factor.
    Perhaps a little longer would be ok but having extra wire can be a pain if you don't need it.
    I might consider a customization service to make the switch wire length what ever you want it. Recumbent's sometimes want to put the light by their feet. Double heat-shrink splices to keep them well sealed. Maybe $10?? If anyone is interested I'll look for some appropriate wire.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Perhaps a little longer would be ok but having extra wire can be a pain if you don't need it.
    Easy enough to put a turn of wire around the bars to use extra length.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm missing the point of this thread. What is so spectacular about this light, which is more expensive than a Dinotte (made in USA) 1500 lumen light?

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    I'm missing the point of this thread. What is so spectacular about this light, which is more expensive than a Dinotte (made in USA) 1500 lumen light?
    Descendants of Gandalf made it.

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-tumblr_m6xl0ychzi1ry7xj3o1_1280.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For one the Gloworm people have made themselves available in this forum. They developed a light and asked for our input and it seems some of it made it into the final product.

This light is expensive but its a nice, well thought out package that is very powerful and versatile. It's mounting options are the best IMO. It's one of the few mtb lights that can be used for hiking and camping w/o being too bright and large.

Gloworm also beat everyone except MagicShine to the market with the XML2.

TBH I'm not even familiar with what Dionette has at the same price point. One thing I don't like about Dionette is the battery connector. I go Dionette and all of my batteries are useless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    One thing I don't like about Dionette is the battery connector. I go Dionette and all of my batteries are useless.
    Agreed. Hear nothing but good things about dinotte but the battery connector is a deal breaker for me. But the dinotte 3xml and 400 daytime look sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    For a light made in China, it is very expensive indeed.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    A lot of folks, like me, have Magicshine-style battery packs that work with various light heads. I will only buy lights that interface with those battery packs. If Dinotte used that connector and sold the light head separately, I'd likely pick up an XML-3. It is a good value.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just read a review that mentioned one can buy the XML-3 light head separately. Nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW View Post
    A lot of folks, like me, have Magicshine-style battery packs that work with various light heads. I will only buy lights that interface with those battery packs. If Dinotte used that connector and sold the light head separately, I'd likely pick up an XML-3. It is a good value.
    Yup, I'm in the same boat. Since a majority of the lights use 2S (2 in series) battery packs, I don't see any reason to have different connectors.

mtbr member
    The Point? The point is this is just a new product review. There are more expensive lights, lights about the same price and of course less expensive lights that are cheaper. The Gloworm attracts a lot of attention because it is at a medium price point and offers features not offered by very many light systems. Sadly they are not under $200 anymore but likely the price will drop as we approach Christmas.

Ii is up to the reader to decide what kind of lamp he/she wishes to buy and what features they want in a lamp to mount to their bike or helmet.

I've been using the Gloworm lights since their inception ( about two years ago ). Although I review different kind of lights my personal choice for the bars continues to be a Gloworm X2. I love having a lamp with small form factor on the bars. I love the mounting options. I LOVE remotes. I love that it's brighter than most 2 x XM-L lamps. Sure you can buy something less expensive. No one will argue that fact.

Seems I now have the new version better dialed in. Jury is still out on that though. I can't wait to have a chance to try it on some dirt trails. I work nights so I have to wait till the weekend and hope the weather stays dry.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Received my X1-v2 and X2-v3 lightheads today - both appear to be excellent lights. I have owned all three of the X2 versions and have been pleased. The X1 really blows me away at how small this lighthead is and the throw it puts out. This has to be the closest thing to the perfect helmet light, and I have tried out plenty over the years.

It will be hard to beat the beam quality in this small of a lighthead that the X2 and X1 offer. It is not always about the lumens / brightness a light puts out, but how well it distributes the beam pattern that can really make a difference. These lights definitely standout in that category plus have excellent mounting options.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hi All

I just thought I'd jump in here and give a bit of background into the manufacturing and development processes of Gloworm and why they are what they are.

Gloworm Performance Products Ltd, is a NZ company and can be found on the NZ company register. The directors are Bruce (NZ) and Vag (Greece).

Each Gloworm is designed and engineered in NZ by myself (Bruce) and two contracted NZ Engineers (Mechanical/Plastics and Electronics). We only use top of the line electronic components that we source through multiple locations.

If you open a Gloworm and compare it's 'guts' to another light that originates from China you will notice the size difference of the components. The components within a Gloworm are all very small and the circuit board is custom printed to match the housing, this small size and customisation equals electronic efficiency (All Gloworm Lights exceed 93% effciency) and higher cost. We also only use named brands for electronic parts. You will also see in the X1 we have combined the LED and other electronic components onto the same circuit board, this process requires accurate engineering and low tolerances to ensure adequate heat sinking and steady operation.

As we only produce in relatively small batches compared to larger companies (Nite Rider, Magicshine etc) and Chinese light manufacturers we do not get the price breaks that others can access. This is especially noticeable with li-ion battery prices.

We only use high quality Panasonic battery cells, which are arguably the most expensive but highest quality on the market. This is compared to lower priced cells used by most chinese light manufacturers. Using higher quality cells with an approved charger equals peace of mind when you are charging your battery pack.

The battery pack utilises a customised waterproof mold, that also includes a fuel gauge indicator - not common on most lights.

The housings are all CNC machined. The non-circular designs (X2/XS) require the use of a 3-Axis CNC machine. This process alone is time intensive and costs significantly more than a light that has been manufactured using an extrusion process or been made on a lathe.

The assembly process is completed by hand in our facility under the management of Vag (who most of you know). We source our components/parts from appx 25 different suppliers who are selected for their professional setup, management practices and of course quality of product. As the product develops we assess our suppliers and ensure we are getting the highest quality.

One of the benefits of our assembly process is our ability to react to changes in the market, technology and customer demands. An example of this is our new mount that can be used with GoPro and our prompt use of XML-2 when they became commercially available.

It must also be noted that we are using XML-2 U2 bin, where most others will be using the T6 bin due to its more frequent availability.

So as you can see a lot goes into these products and the costs are definitely not low and comparable to other lights that come out of china. Also one must remember that some of the best bikes and componentry in the world originates from the east.

Please feel free to fire back any questions you may have

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm NZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cat thanks for bringing up the Cord length issue. I'm going to measure my X2 V2 at home. I've always felt the cord was a bit short as I can't really get the remote far enough out on my bars. (I ride 750mm wide bars) This also plays into the length of the cord (after the Y split) that goes to the battery. I can just get the battery connected, and with the remote at it's farthest length - If my bars are spun far enough in one direction, it will want to pull the battery connection apart. I've always thought that's 'just the way it is' but now I question if the cord is simply too short in the first place. Without measuring I can say my setup would benefit from a slightly longer cord at both the remote and battery connector. Maybe just 10-15mm would be ideal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Agreed. Hear nothing but good things about dinotte but the battery connector is a deal breaker for me. But the dinotte 3xml and 400 daytime look sweet.

Has Dinotte changed their connector in the past few years? When I ran the original Magicshine and Dinotte 400R, all that needed was the shortening of the rim of the female connector with a razor knife.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    Has Dinotte changed their connector in the past few years? When I ran the original Magicshine and Dinotte 400R, all that needed was the shortening of the rim of the female connector with a razor knife.
    Unpacking the DiNotte XML3 and 400R (Quick Release) - YouTube

mtbr member

Cord issue continued

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Cat thanks for bringing up the Cord length issue. I'm going to measure my X2 V2 at home. I've always felt the cord was a bit short as I can't really get the remote far enough out on my bars. (I ride 750mm wide bars) This also plays into the length of the cord (after the Y split) that goes to the battery. I can just get the battery connected, and with the remote at it's farthest length - If my bars are spun far enough in one direction, it will want to pull the battery connection apart. I've always thought that's 'just the way it is' but now I question if the cord is simply too short in the first place. Without measuring I can say my setup would benefit from a slightly longer cord at both the remote and battery connector. Maybe just 10-15mm would be ideal.
    Thanks bad andy; Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced the issue. If you check the original Gloworm X2 Thread I made mention of the remote length issue at post #237 That was back in early 2012. Gloworm than responded at that time and said the length would be 19cm. Turned out when they came they were a little longer ( ~ 20cm ). I might have mentioned it again once I got the first light but since it worked "as it was" I was content. I am surprised though that the remote cord on the new 2013 edition is only a little over 17cm (not including the button ).

Jim from Action LED has contacted me about the current length issue and an offer was made to fix the problem. Since I've gotten it mounted a little closer now I might be okay with it as is. Fingers crossed.

Now as to the Start up operation issue: It turns out it's official, the Gloworm operating instruction manual is in error. YOU DO NOT CLICK ONCE TO ACTIVATE THE FIRST MENU. INSTEAD YOU "PRESS AND HOLD THREE SECONDS". This was verified to me by Jim but of course by that time I had already figured it out. ( Although it did take some time... ) Now that I know how to turn it on I get it right every time.

In the mean time I strongly suggest to the Gloworm people that they increase the length of the remote cord to at least 22cm. before too many of these go out. In the mean time folks that don't need the extra length ( for shorter bars ) shouldn't have a problem.

Action LED Lights
    I found some time yesterday to do the first Light Distribution test of the X2v3 and plotted it here vs the v2. It show the change to be pretty much right on with the 25% increase claimed.

Gloworm X2 v3 ( XM-L2) Who's In?-gloworm-x2v2-vs-x2v3.png
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the information Bruce. You are clearly different than the typical China light, I can see why the cost is what it is now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Thanks bad andy; Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced the issue. If you check the original Gloworm X2 Thread I made mention of the remote length issue at post #237 That was back in early 2012. Gloworm than responded at that time and said the length would be 19cm. Turned out when they came they were a little longer ( ~ 20cm ). I might have mentioned it again once I got the first light but since it worked "as it was" I was content. I am surprised though that the remote cord on the new 2013 edition is only a little over 17cm (not including the button ).

Jim from Action LED has contacted me about the current length issue and an offer was made to fix the problem. Since I've gotten it mounted a little closer now I might be okay with it as is. Fingers crossed.

Now as to the Start up operation issue: It turns out it's official, the Gloworm operating instruction manual is in error. YOU DO NOT CLICK ONCE TO ACTIVATE THE FIRST MENU. INSTEAD YOU "PRESS AND HOLD THREE SECONDS". This was verified to me by Jim but of course by that time I had already figured it out. ( Although it did take some time... ) Now that I know how to turn it on I get it right every time.

In the mean time I strongly suggest to the Gloworm people that they increase the length of the remote cord to at least 22cm. before too many of these go out. In the mean time folks that don't need the extra length ( for shorter bars ) shouldn't have a problem.
    CAT, I measured my cord. From light base to far edge of switch: 8 inches = 20.32 cm
    I strongly recommend your suggestion to increase the factory length to around 22cm - it would really help those of us riding typically wide bars these days.
    Can I also suggest the y-junction in the cable actually would work better if it were closer to the lighthead? When my lights are installed, it's kind of weird having the cable go from the Y-junction to the battery somewhere along the bars in between the stem and end of bars. It would be a cleaner setup, and less prone to disconnecting via edge-to-edge bar movements were it closer to the stem/lighthead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    FYI: Action LED now has the new Version 3 edition of the Gloworm X2 on their website. I'm in.. Can't wait to get my hands on the little gem. My expectations are very high. I sure hope the Gloworm people don't let me down. These aren't inexpensive.

I have a question for Jim ( Action LED ) or anyone else who might know: I ordered the lamp head only. I thought I remember reading somewhere ( on MTBR ) that the new units were going to include the new ( solid alloy ) quick release/cam lock bar mounts. I know I'm getting a mount but not sure if it's the same O-ring mount or cam lock type mount?
    didn't you say i was a sad person because i don't like Chinese DX / Ebay lights ? this light isn't Chinese and you can buy four SolarStorm X2 instead of one of these ? What's wrong Cat ? are you feeling OK ?

also isn't 1500 lumens "too much" ? didn't you say you only need 200 lumens and anybody who wants more has bad night vision ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So here's my .02

I've had numerous cheap Chinese lights. Probably 6 total. My buddies have them too so I'd say we have maybe 12 total. A couple have had light head issues but for the most part, they've been ok. The universal problem has been the poor batteries. All have consistently reduced in run time over a year to about 1/2. After several years they just don't work.

This is all ok as you can buy new cheap batteries cheap, usually 20 bucks. No guarantee they will even work but most do for a while. The good w/ this system is you can keep upgrading every year to the newest LED at very cheap cost.

On the other hand, I bought the Dinotte dual XML-3 when they first came out. I've started using them the last several weeks and again, they last forever and the batteries seem to have all the run time. They are lithium so of course when it gets cold they will reduce in run time but thankfully in the Bay Area I won't have to deal w/ anything under 40 degrees F most of Winter. I always talk the Dinotte's and they never fail. Maybe that's the difference in the 2 systems. I would never go out w/o the Dinotte's. Or Lupine's if I had those, etc, etc. You get the idea.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast