mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Gloworm X1, X2 & XS. Which combination to use?

I haven't had lights before and I'm looking at getting a set for the upcoming season. I've decided that a bar and helmet light set would be ideal for where I ride (Patapsco, MD). I was looking at the Cygolite Tridenx 1300 for the bar, but after reading about the Gloworms I'm thinking they may be worth the extra $. Now the question is which ones to get. I'm considering the XS on the bar and a X1 or X2 on the helmet (XS with X2 may be overkill, but X2 with a 2-cell battery is only $30 more than the X1), or X2 on the bar and X1 on the helmet. I know the decision will be a result of prioritizing performance, cost, battery weight and run time. I doubt I'd ever need to go more than 2-2.5 hours. I'd also likely swap one of the lights over to the road bike for road rides. Anyone care to offer their input?
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29er
    2003 Klein Palomino
    2000 Klein Adept Pro
    1999 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would go with the X1 on the helmet and X2 on the bar or X2 on the helmet and XS on the bar. The general rule is the more powerful light goes on the bar, but not everyone does this so feel free to experiment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any reason why you wouldn't go with the X1 on the helmet and XS on the bar? I was wondering if using the X2 on the helmet meant that the 4-cell battery attached to my helmet would be heavy. I could run the X2 with the 2-cell mounted on the helmet though on max it only gets 1.25hrs. I have no idea if I'd be running it at max or not. I guess I could stuff the 4-cell in my Camelbak if it's too large for the helmet.The other thing is running the X2 with an XS pushes the cost over $600. I might wait to read the XS review and see what the light spread looks like before spending that much.

X1 2-cell & X2 4-cell $480
    X1 2-cell & XS $580
    X2 2-cell & XS $610
    X2 4-cell & XS $640

I find it a little odd that given the same battery the X2 is only $30 more than the X1, however the XS is $100 more than the X2. I think I read somewhere that the XS comes with a higher capacity 4-cell, but I don't know what else is driving that price.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29er
    2003 Klein Palomino
    2000 Klein Adept Pro
    1999 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't think there is any problem with the X1 and XS other than you want to make sure your bar light doesn't drown out your helmet light. I don't think this would be the case but if your bar light is very powerful and your helmet isn't it may be a concern.

I don't think anyone runs a 4 cell battery on their helmet. I tried a helmet mounted 2 cell battery and I didn't like it. I thought it was too heavy for the added convenience. I think it's more important to make sure the battery is in your jersey pocket so you're not wired to your pack.

The X2 does pretty well with a gloworm 2 cell if you run in medium on the climbs and high on the descents and tech sections.

mtbr member
    I would go with two Gloworm X2 sets and both with 4 cell batteries. The X2 works well as a bar light and a helmet light. I would set the helmet light up with 2 spot optics and leave the bar with 1 flood and 1 spot. Put the helmet battery pack in your pack or jersey. I run the Gloworm X2 version 2 (1,200 lumen version) on the helmet and it's awesome. You could get one X2 version 3 along with a X2 version 2 and it would still be a great setup and save you a few bucks. The X2 version 2 is the same price as the X1 version 2 if you get 4 cell packs, but with more output and the weight is still low with these so it won't be an issue on the helmet. This way you have 2 of the 4 cell packs and two X2's for $500 and 2700 lumens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    x1 on the helmet if only just for the throw. It is just a crazy spotlight up there.
    I don't have a handle bar light. My mate has an x2 on the helmet which is brighter close up but no where near the throw. Go Gloworm. Great company with solid support

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I concur... The X-1 puts out an amazing amount of usable light, based on its size (a little larger dia. than a quarter). I've been the X-1 light head and battery mounted on the helmet. Its balanced / a very good combination, both weight and lumen wise.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I just completed my 2nd ride tonight with the Gloworm X1 V2 on the helmet and the X2 V3 on the bar. Great setup - X2 is great for its wider beam for the up close stuff and the X1 has a nice spot beam that projects much further, but is not too narrow. The 2 lights definitely work well together.

The small size of the X1 is amazing. I ride with a 4-cell battery pack in my jersey pocket and the X1 light head is so small and light you can not tell that it is on the helmet at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    I just completed my 2nd ride tonight with the Gloworm X1 V2 on the helmet and the X2 V3 on the bar. Great setup - X2 is great for its wider beam for the up close stuff and the X1 has a nice spot beam that projects much further, but is not too narrow. The 2 lights definitely work well together.

The small size of the X1 is amazing. I ride with a 4-cell battery pack in my jersey pocket and the X1 light head is so small and light you can not tell that it is on the helmet at all.

Which lens are you using on the X1?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    Which lens are you using on the X1?
    I use the super spot. Came with the spot installed. This light came with 3 different lenses. I was not sure which lens was in the light when I received it and emailed Jim at Action LED and he responded:

"They come with the spot installed (frosted center) The super spot has dimples in the center and is preferable to the spot in all ways".

So I switched it out to the Super Spot. I was impressed by the regular spot, but never actually rode with it. The Super Spot works great with the X2 on my bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbn_designs View Post
    ...I find it a little odd that given the same battery the X2 is only $30 more than the X1, however the XS is $100 more than the X2. I think I read somewhere that the XS comes with a higher capacity 4-cell, but I don't know what else is driving that price.
    Personally, I think the prices for the new Gloworms are a little much. After Christmas I expect there to be a drop in price but only because by that time the Chinese clones will be using the XM-L2 (U2) emitters as well. Right now the only one using the L2's with U2 bin seem to be Gloworm. The "We're the First" exclusivity factor gives them the market option to elevate the price. Still, don't expect prices to drop too much for the XS ( triple XM-L2 U2 ).

derekbob commented below:

I don't think there is any problem with the X1 and XS other than you want to make sure your bar light doesn't drown out your helmet light. I don't think this would be the case but if your bar light is very powerful and your helmet isn't it may be a concern.
    Quite true, good point d-bob. The XS will be so bright on high it might be hard to find a lamp for the helmet with a beam pattern that will complement it. I've not seen how well the new X1 are working so I can't comment but I do have a Xeccon X-12 that has throw long enough to work very well with my X2

Right now the market is prime for a duel XM-L2 (U2) lamp that uses twin reflectors big enough to really dial in some super throw ( yet not be so heavy as to give you Andro-neck syndrome ) . The SSX2 uses reflectors but they are too small to really give you the intense throw that is really needed to illuminate objects clearly at a distance appropriate for MTB'n. Hopefully the Xeccon people will be upgrading the X-12 XM-L2 (T6) to (U2). If they do I will be getting one faster than you can say, "does a cat love tuna"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    I use the super spot. Came with the spot installed. This light came with 3 different lenses. I was not sure which lens was in the light when I received it and emailed Jim at Action LED and he responded:

"They come with the spot installed (frosted center) The super spot has dimples in the center and is preferable to the spot in all ways".

So I switched it out to the Super Spot. I was impressed by the regular spot, but never actually rode with it. The Super Spot works great with the X2 on my bars.

Thanks. I believe I will have to make my adjustments when the whole system is in place.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have X2 v1 however i would like to have tiny and light weight led unit on my helmet.
    What are the measurements of new X1 ?I found only weight info.

BTW.Nothing compares to GWs exceptional remote switch in bad weather conditions.
    It is so easy change to lower power mode immediately when you hit foggy/rainy area in the moor even for few minutes.Try that with any other light and keep up good riding speed againts that white misty wall.It was frustrating to try to find control switch with other lights that i have had before.(no remote control)