Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm X1 - Single LED Light System

53K views 271 replies 51 participants last post by  pucked up 
#1 · (Edited)
The highly anticipated X1 is the second light by Gloworm, designed 100% in NZ. As the name suggests it is a single LED, XM-L U2 to be exact, driven by a switching regulator that is combined on the same PCB as the LED itself.

The X1 gives out an astonishing 850 lumens from a unit weighing in at 58g (remote included) and 35mm in diameter. It boasts the same characteristics as the X2 in being waterproof, robust and CNC machined from 6061 Alloy - No plastic parts here!

The optics are a custom solution designed to provide maximum throw while maintaining a beam pattern that is easy on the eye - no discolouration, round beam and no artifacts. The kit will include 3 interchangable optics: Flood, Spot, Super Spot. (Beam shots to come in the next day or so).

This tiny unit will utilise the same low profile style mounting solution as the X2 for the helmet, however will not have a bar mount included in the set. Instead our new QR bar mount will be available as an extra accessory. The QR mount will also be compatible with the X2.

The X1 will be supplied with a 2 cell battery (appx 115g), once again containing high capacity Panasonic cells. Its capacity will be 2900 mAh giving a runtime of 2hr 15min on maximum. The 2 cell battery will be compatible with the X2.

Controlling the X1 will be managed through a remote switch. It will also present the same selectable programmes as its big brother.

The Gloworm X1 will retail for $179 USD with a 2 cell battery and can also be ordered with a four cell battery (runtime 4.5hrs).

Spec Summary

850 Lumen (real, not theoretical)
IMT technology (selectable programming)
Light Head Assembly 58 grams
Waterproof to IP66
2.9 AH Lithium Ion Hard Case Battery
1 x Cree U2 XML LEDs
Interchangable Optics (Spot lens and frosted lens)
2.25 hr runtime on max power
Remote switch

IMT Programmes

On pressing the button from 'off' the light will start in Normal Operating Mode. Special modes are accessed by holding down the button for 2 sec from any normal mode. This allows the user to conduct any outdoor activity without having to cycle through the special mode and having an interuption of a steady light beam. Additionally, the X2 is shut down by holding the button for appx 5sec. IMT gives you the flexibility of refined programmes and modes without needing to access them every time you go from High mode back to low. Programmes are changed through a sequence of button presses.

Presales will start pretty soon for a limted number of units - more information will be posted here.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Team Gloworm

See less See more
#266 ·
I see what you guys mean when you say the X1 on the helmet and the X2 on the bars is the perfect setup. Because it is. I've been riding with my X2 alone on my helmet and it's been a good setup but I demoed the X1 on a night ride Saturday with my X2 on my bars and I was really impressed. Good job Gloworm, nice light set.

#268 ·
Can anyone tell me under what circumstances the battery fuel level indicators (40, 80, 100%) are supposed to light up? I've been using my X1 for close to 2 months now and, even when it's fully charged, the fuel level indicator lights never come on. I haven't done any huge rides, but I've done a few 40-50 minute trips running mostly on high, and the fuel gauge never lights up to indicate a drop below even 80%.

The other behaviour I've noticed, which has so far only occurred once, is having the light head flicker off while on high, then ramp down to a low setting. Thinking it was the temperature sensor kicking in to protect the circuitry, I felt the light head, but it was barely warm. I tried switching it off and turning it on again, but it would only turn on to low, and after a few seconds it shut off entirely. I recharged the battery after that and it seems to work again normally, however I can't help but think the battery isn't fully charging. I rarely use the light for more than an hour without a full recharge.

#269 ·
I've been using the X1 for 2 months now. I can't say when it hits specific indicator lights, since I don't measure it during the ride. If I start riding at sunset at the lowest setting, then go to mid, I easily have 40% left after 2 hours. The thing I love about this light is how well it works on the road bike. I also have the X2. The X1 and battery pack are light and last long enough for 40 mile after work rides in the dark. The X2 is much brighter and appreciate it when I'm riding when it's completely dark. I did one ride with both and blinded oncoming cars.

#270 ·
Hey Fuzzy

It sounds like you have a defective battery. The indicator lights should light up when the light is on.

The flickering you get is when the battery reaches the low voltage threshold and is warning you that you are running out of power.

Unless overridden and lowered to a low setting it will ramp down until finally it will extinguish.

You should be getting at least 2 hours out of the battery.

My advice is to return the battery to the vendor you received it from and get them to substitute it for a new one. They will then return the faulty one to us and we'll suss out whats going on.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm NZ

#271 ·
Just wanted to follow up my previous message with an apology for being a complete idiot. Suffice it to say, the battery is fine, and the fuel gauge does light up. Next time, I will endeavour to be more patient by waiting at least 2 seconds after powering on before placing the battery inside my coat pocket. :madman:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.