Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm X1 - Single LED Light System

53K views 271 replies 51 participants last post by  pucked up 
#1 · (Edited)
The highly anticipated X1 is the second light by Gloworm, designed 100% in NZ. As the name suggests it is a single LED, XM-L U2 to be exact, driven by a switching regulator that is combined on the same PCB as the LED itself.

The X1 gives out an astonishing 850 lumens from a unit weighing in at 58g (remote included) and 35mm in diameter. It boasts the same characteristics as the X2 in being waterproof, robust and CNC machined from 6061 Alloy - No plastic parts here!

The optics are a custom solution designed to provide maximum throw while maintaining a beam pattern that is easy on the eye - no discolouration, round beam and no artifacts. The kit will include 3 interchangable optics: Flood, Spot, Super Spot. (Beam shots to come in the next day or so).

This tiny unit will utilise the same low profile style mounting solution as the X2 for the helmet, however will not have a bar mount included in the set. Instead our new QR bar mount will be available as an extra accessory. The QR mount will also be compatible with the X2.

The X1 will be supplied with a 2 cell battery (appx 115g), once again containing high capacity Panasonic cells. Its capacity will be 2900 mAh giving a runtime of 2hr 15min on maximum. The 2 cell battery will be compatible with the X2.

Controlling the X1 will be managed through a remote switch. It will also present the same selectable programmes as its big brother.

The Gloworm X1 will retail for $179 USD with a 2 cell battery and can also be ordered with a four cell battery (runtime 4.5hrs).

Spec Summary

850 Lumen (real, not theoretical)
IMT technology (selectable programming)
Light Head Assembly 58 grams
Waterproof to IP66
2.9 AH Lithium Ion Hard Case Battery
1 x Cree U2 XML LEDs
Interchangable Optics (Spot lens and frosted lens)
2.25 hr runtime on max power
Remote switch

IMT Programmes

On pressing the button from 'off' the light will start in Normal Operating Mode. Special modes are accessed by holding down the button for 2 sec from any normal mode. This allows the user to conduct any outdoor activity without having to cycle through the special mode and having an interuption of a steady light beam. Additionally, the X2 is shut down by holding the button for appx 5sec. IMT gives you the flexibility of refined programmes and modes without needing to access them every time you go from High mode back to low. Programmes are changed through a sequence of button presses.

Presales will start pretty soon for a limted number of units - more information will be posted here.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Team Gloworm

See less See more
#236 ·
Good news!! I just received my X1 order from Action LED (my second Gloworm product from Action, with great service and fast shipping) and I must say it is a neat little light package. The light head itself is very lightweight, and combined with the 2 cell battery pack, I can hardly notice any additional weight on my helmet.

After mounting the light to my helmet (the elastic Velcro strap is a great idea, I am thinking it could really save the light/my neck when I clip a low branch), I mounted the battery pack and checked to see that the battery indicator was at 100%. I fired up the X2on the handlebar, X1 on the helmet and rode off into the night.

The combination of the X2’s flood capabilities (I currently have the standard flood/spot optic installed) along with the long distance and concentrated spot of the X1 is a great combination. I like that the X2 lights up everything directly in front of me, and wherever I turn my head, the X1 is there to illuminate any object my little heart desires.
In the future I would like to swap out the optics in the X2 and see what combination would work best, but for now I will just ride with what I’ve got.

I do have two minor complaints regarding the X1. The first one really is my fault, but I guess I am putting it out there as more of a word of advice for first time users. Even though the battery indicator showed 100% right out of the box, the light only lasted 45 minutes before it started to provide the warning flashes, indicating that I was running out of juice. The second issue I personally find to be disappointing is the fact the X1 light comes with X2 instructions. I think it would have taken me less than 8 hours to revamp the information so it is accurate and well laid out for X1 users.

#238 ·
Good news!! I just received my X1 order from Action LED (my second Gloworm product from Action, with great service and fast shipping) and I must say it is a neat little light package. The light head itself is very lightweight, and combined with the 2 cell battery pack, I can hardly notice any additional weight on my helmet.

After mounting the light to my helmet (the elastic Velcro strap is a great idea, I am thinking it could really save the light/my neck when I clip a low branch), I mounted the battery pack and checked to see that the battery indicator was at 100%. I fired up the X2on the handlebar, X1 on the helmet and rode off into the night.

The combination of the X2's flood capabilities (I currently have the standard flood/spot optic installed) along with the long distance and concentrated spot of the X1 is a great combination. I like that the X2 lights up everything directly in front of me, and wherever I turn my head, the X1 is there to illuminate any object my little heart desires.
In the future I would like to swap out the optics in the X2 and see what combination would work best, but for now I will just ride with what I've got.

I do have two minor complaints regarding the X1. The first one really is my fault, but I guess I am putting it out there as more of a word of advice for first time users. Even though the battery indicator showed 100% right out of the box, the light only lasted 45 minutes before it started to provide the warning flashes, indicating that I was running out of juice. The second issue I personally find to be disappointing is the fact the X1 light comes with X2 instructions. I think it would have taken me less than 8 hours to revamp the information so it is accurate and well laid out for X1 users.
Hello guys,

It will be better you fully charge your battery before the first use as the batteries are half charged out of the box.

Regarding some boxes coming with X2 instruction this is our packing department mistake and we apologize for this. They should be few boxes like this and we'll be shipping new manuals to all our distributors to throw in your boxes.

We would also like to announce that there was a delay with the new head straps but finally they areproduced and will be all shipped from our facility this week. This means it will reach all of you in less than 10 days.

Cheers,
Vag

#248 ·
Nice work MDEMM,
Since it has to be mounted either left or right of the helmet's centre vane do you notice the beam is biased towards one side as the X1 is more of spot light than a flood light?
So does it bother you when riding twisty type tracks as it points off to one side rather than being centred? Will obviously have one point in the distance when it's centred but closer and further away than that point it wouldn't be.

#251 ·
Finally pulled the trigger and bought the X1, from Action-LED, along with the head strap and QR mount. Pairing it with a L&M Vis 180, which should make nighttime commutes that much safer. Thanks to Vag for the invaluable beam shot comparison pics (see page 7), and thanks to everyone who answered my questions. Will post pics as soon as the X1 arrives. Can't wait! :)

#252 ·
Its impossible to produce an upper end lighting system, that works across the board / one that will keep everyone happy. This is a given... Gloworm and Gemini has upped the playing field... Giving us consumers more bang for the buck. IMO... The new X1 using the xml-U3 led is a seriously impressive unit.. Especially, when considering its minute stature...

#257 ·
At the moment there is no plans to change to the U3 LED, we are obviously looking at the XML2 however they are not really commercially available.

Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Well I did predict ( last year ) that Cree would offer an XM-L2 and likely have it available by this year. Glad to see that they didn't let me down. It seems Mouser has had some of these in stock since January.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new XM-L2 can do. If an X1 version is sold with the XM-L2 I might be interested.

#260 ·
Here's mine.

Green Line Font Colorfulness Turquoise

However I think there was a manufacturing glitch with mine: the band that's supposed to stretch over the top of your head and clip to the light at the front is on upside down. Notice how there's there's 1 hole on each side of the plastic back plate for the strap to pass through - except at the top, where there's a second hole.

#262 ·
im not surprised.... my X2 came with wrong velcro straps and was promised to get the correct ones and am yet to receive them and it wont be long before we start riding again. .

#263 ·
Hey Bapski

Vag will be sending out replacement straps when he returns from his vacation.

Apologies for not getting it to you sooner.

This goes for those others still waiting for a new strap.

Cheers

Bruce

#265 ·
Hey Bapski

Vag will be sending out replacement straps when he returns from his vacation.

Apologies for not getting it to you sooner.

This goes for those others still waiting for a new strap.

Cheers

Bruce

thanks. will wait and see..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.