Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm X1 - Single LED Light System

53K views 271 replies 51 participants last post by  pucked up 
#1 · (Edited)
The highly anticipated X1 is the second light by Gloworm, designed 100% in NZ. As the name suggests it is a single LED, XM-L U2 to be exact, driven by a switching regulator that is combined on the same PCB as the LED itself.

The X1 gives out an astonishing 850 lumens from a unit weighing in at 58g (remote included) and 35mm in diameter. It boasts the same characteristics as the X2 in being waterproof, robust and CNC machined from 6061 Alloy - No plastic parts here!

The optics are a custom solution designed to provide maximum throw while maintaining a beam pattern that is easy on the eye - no discolouration, round beam and no artifacts. The kit will include 3 interchangable optics: Flood, Spot, Super Spot. (Beam shots to come in the next day or so).

This tiny unit will utilise the same low profile style mounting solution as the X2 for the helmet, however will not have a bar mount included in the set. Instead our new QR bar mount will be available as an extra accessory. The QR mount will also be compatible with the X2.

The X1 will be supplied with a 2 cell battery (appx 115g), once again containing high capacity Panasonic cells. Its capacity will be 2900 mAh giving a runtime of 2hr 15min on maximum. The 2 cell battery will be compatible with the X2.

Controlling the X1 will be managed through a remote switch. It will also present the same selectable programmes as its big brother.

The Gloworm X1 will retail for $179 USD with a 2 cell battery and can also be ordered with a four cell battery (runtime 4.5hrs).

Spec Summary

850 Lumen (real, not theoretical)
IMT technology (selectable programming)
Light Head Assembly 58 grams
Waterproof to IP66
2.9 AH Lithium Ion Hard Case Battery
1 x Cree U2 XML LEDs
Interchangable Optics (Spot lens and frosted lens)
2.25 hr runtime on max power
Remote switch

IMT Programmes

On pressing the button from 'off' the light will start in Normal Operating Mode. Special modes are accessed by holding down the button for 2 sec from any normal mode. This allows the user to conduct any outdoor activity without having to cycle through the special mode and having an interuption of a steady light beam. Additionally, the X2 is shut down by holding the button for appx 5sec. IMT gives you the flexibility of refined programmes and modes without needing to access them every time you go from High mode back to low. Programmes are changed through a sequence of button presses.

Presales will start pretty soon for a limted number of units - more information will be posted here.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Team Gloworm

See less See more
#152 ·
Yes, the X2 is brightest of the lot but then again it is a duel emitter lamp vs. one emitter so it should be brighter.

The X1 is not bad but not as tight of of beam pattern as I had hoped for. Really hard to judge all of this from the provided photos though. To get a better idea of how well it illuminates at distance I had to take the photo off the web site and put it on "view image" so I could enlarge it. Then I turn the lights off in my room and try to pick out distant objects. On the spot set-up I could pick out what looks to be a fence just beyond the tree line so perhaps it does have some throw. Of course viewing photos on a computer screen is not quite the same as viewing the output while riding on the trail.

I think when all things are considered, the real selling point of the X1 is the basic design of the light set. It is light-weight, compact, low profile, aesthetically pleasing to the eye with great mounting options. It has all the other Gloworm mode features. It has high quality batteries. Beam pattern should compare well with most other typical single XM-L lights sets.

While I would like to have one of these in my hands, I've decided to wait to see how the new spot optics for the X2 work out as two emitters will almost always be better than one.

#154 ·
Hey Bruce,
Regarding to better indicate the light throw. I think your original shots from the earlier post #132 were quite impressive. They showed detail. The latest shots sorely lack this. I realize, this is (probably) due to the images being 640x480 vs 1600x1200. To keep things on a level playing field maybe you could repost them at the larger size ? Another thing of note when looking the latest shots. When comparing the spot to the standard lens. I you can visibly see a halo or darker colored ring in the shots.

#155 ·
Right, I have posted links to the larger images (just so we don't upset the MTBR site). These give a much better indication of detail at distance, especially the fence line behind the trees. Additionally there is a tree with some cut branches on the fence line. In some pics these cut areas are quite visible, in others it is not.

Regarding the halo (def not dark rings), the spot lens has a slight halo as a consequence of the design to ensure a brighter centre and therefore more throw. The Standard doesn't have any halo whatsoever and throws nearly the same distance.

The shots were designed to indicate throw and detail at distance rather than detail up close, like post #132.

I'll try to do some others tomorrow night on a bush trail.

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm

#157 · (Edited)
XM-L U3 on the X1

Hello,

We have a great announcement.

Gloworm X1 will be coming with XM-L U3 emitters instead of the XM-L U2 that was originally planned. U3 will give an extra boost to brightness of around 8%.

We just managed to acquire U3 this week and for this reason the delivery time will be slightly affected. We plan to ship presales on the 18th of December. The QR mounts will be available and ship at the same date.

Cheers,
Vaggelis
Gloworm Manufacturing

#159 ·
Hello,

We have a great announcement.

Gloworm X1 will be coming with XM-L U3 emitters instead of the XM-L U2 that was originally planned. U3 will give an extra boost to brightness of around 8%.

We just managed to acquire U3 this week and for this reason the delivery time will be slightly affected. We plan to ship presales on the 18th of December. The QR mounts will be available and ship at the same date.

Cheers,
Vaggelis
Gloworm Manufacturing
I am sure you know this, but the U3 is 12V. I had one that I couldn't get to work until I figured out that the usual 3.7v wouldn't drive it.

#158 ·
EXCELLENT !!! Thats the kind of news we like to hear. Bruce and Vaggelis, you guys are on top of it... A question. Have you received the new head belt yet ? If so, was wondering if you could post a picture of same. I've got an X1 on order. Can't wait to try it out...

#174 ·
Hello guys,

This time we do not have so good news as the shipments have been delayed to the end of this week due to manufacturing delays.

Apologies for this delay. Be sure that we are working on delivering you a high quality product.

Cheers,
Vaggelis

#176 ·
I just purchased the X1 light head on sale at Action Lights for 80.00 - this one uses the U2 emitter but considering the price difference I have to think that possibly the latest U3 version would not have enough performance advantages considering the price difference. It seems like a good deal for those interested in supplementing an X2 which is what I decided to do. I imagine Action is clearing stock of the U2 version.

#177 ·
Actually, you just pointed out that I forgot to update the listing when the U3 was announced. All of the X1's will ship with the XML - U3 LED.
I also needed to update the price now that the Pre-sale is over. So you got lucky and got the last one at that price.
Just a note, The light head includes everything in the kit except the battery and charger.

Just heard from Gloworm that they are on the dock and will ship tonight so they may arrive by Friday. :)

#178 · (Edited)
I guess that was confusing me a bit thinking there were two versions out there - sorry Jim if I threw a wrench in the works so to speak but I do appreciate the clarification. I just found out about the Gloworm lights in the last two days but it did not take me long to decide between them and some other contenders out there - almost went with a Dinotte but as nice as they are I have no regrets sticking with Gloworm.

This post has been deleted
#186 ·
Can we get some kind of confirmation that the units have shipped? and when we in the US should expect our lights?

Thanks.
Hello everyone,

The lights have been shipped since last Wednesday and the should be in USA on Monday (depending also on holidays schedule). They are small delays of 2-3 days with DHL lately because of the Christmas period. It is safe to assume that all lights will be in your before the end of next week.

Thanks,
Vaggelis
Gloworm

#192 ·
We had the same issue with DHL - the lights were going to sit in their depot until Thursday due to the backlog of Christmas / New Year shipments. Luckily the depot is only 20 miles away so we went and collected them.

Here are some pictures of the X1 taken rather hastily last night.

Size comparison with Magicshine type XM-L

Gloworm Family with X2

#194 ·
It really is an awesome little light from what I've seen so far.

Tested it back to back with a mk2 Exposure Diablo with a claimed 900 lumens last night. The X1 was much brighter with more throw. Weather permitting I should have beamshots tonight with each optic plus comparison shots of the Diablo, Chinese reflector XM-L T6 and Gloworm X2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.