Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm X1 - Single LED Light System

53K views 271 replies 51 participants last post by  pucked up 
#1 · (Edited)
The highly anticipated X1 is the second light by Gloworm, designed 100% in NZ. As the name suggests it is a single LED, XM-L U2 to be exact, driven by a switching regulator that is combined on the same PCB as the LED itself.

The X1 gives out an astonishing 850 lumens from a unit weighing in at 58g (remote included) and 35mm in diameter. It boasts the same characteristics as the X2 in being waterproof, robust and CNC machined from 6061 Alloy - No plastic parts here!

The optics are a custom solution designed to provide maximum throw while maintaining a beam pattern that is easy on the eye - no discolouration, round beam and no artifacts. The kit will include 3 interchangable optics: Flood, Spot, Super Spot. (Beam shots to come in the next day or so).

This tiny unit will utilise the same low profile style mounting solution as the X2 for the helmet, however will not have a bar mount included in the set. Instead our new QR bar mount will be available as an extra accessory. The QR mount will also be compatible with the X2.

The X1 will be supplied with a 2 cell battery (appx 115g), once again containing high capacity Panasonic cells. Its capacity will be 2900 mAh giving a runtime of 2hr 15min on maximum. The 2 cell battery will be compatible with the X2.

Controlling the X1 will be managed through a remote switch. It will also present the same selectable programmes as its big brother.

The Gloworm X1 will retail for $179 USD with a 2 cell battery and can also be ordered with a four cell battery (runtime 4.5hrs).

Spec Summary

850 Lumen (real, not theoretical)
IMT technology (selectable programming)
Light Head Assembly 58 grams
Waterproof to IP66
2.9 AH Lithium Ion Hard Case Battery
1 x Cree U2 XML LEDs
Interchangable Optics (Spot lens and frosted lens)
2.25 hr runtime on max power
Remote switch

IMT Programmes

On pressing the button from 'off' the light will start in Normal Operating Mode. Special modes are accessed by holding down the button for 2 sec from any normal mode. This allows the user to conduct any outdoor activity without having to cycle through the special mode and having an interuption of a steady light beam. Additionally, the X2 is shut down by holding the button for appx 5sec. IMT gives you the flexibility of refined programmes and modes without needing to access them every time you go from High mode back to low. Programmes are changed through a sequence of button presses.

Presales will start pretty soon for a limted number of units - more information will be posted here.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Team Gloworm

See less See more
#114 · (Edited)
Can´t wait to see more pics and the beamshots! Looks to be one of the most interesting lights for this year. Because even the big brand L. isn´t able to produce a lot of throw in a small lamp.
I have a diy light with 7 U2-XMLs Powered at 2,05A and the Polymer-Optics on my Handlebar at the moment but the problem is that this amount of light makes you "blind" on areas out of the light.
On trails I normally reduce the power to about 15Watts from about 44Watts at maximum. The X1 would be great then to get a tight spot were I am looking at.
Anyway, hope to get my hands on it soon.

@Bruce: Thumbs up for your development that gives the customer the feeling to be a part of it. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

I have an other idea for a mount. Many riders, including me have Gopro mounts on nearly everything. On my frame, helmet, and even a suction cup that can be mounted on Flat surfaces like the rear window of a car to light the area behind the car after a nightride while cleaning the bike or doing repairs.

You can even find the CAD models on the internet so it wouldn´t be that hard to develop such a mount (I am not able to post links at the moment): search on Google for "CAD Gopro"

grabcad!dotcom!/library/gopro-modular-arm-long-90deg-member

Ole

#115 ·
Can´t wait to see more pics and the beamshots! Looks to be one of the most interesting lights for this year. :

EDIT:

I have an other idea for a mount. Many riders, including me have Gopro mounts on nearly everything. On my frame, helmet, and even a suction cup that can be mounted on Flat surfaces like the rear window of a car to light the area behind the car after a nightride while cleaning the bike or doing repairs.

You can even find the CAD models on the internet so it wouldn´t be that hard to develop such a mount (I am not able to post links at the moment): search on Google for "CAD Gopro"

grabcad!dotcom!/library/gopro-modular-arm-long-90deg-member

Ole
GoPro mounts are solid and common. I like the click-in version for helmet and headband, but the bar mount is a little cumbersome. I also find the Cateye click- mounts are small and light, but less common.

#116 ·
Running a Gemini titan now and while it works well I am looking for something lighter that mounts lower as my neck is taking a beating. Would I lose anything from going from a larger diameter reflector light to an optic based one? I was considering a xera but this seems to fit the bill and can't beat the intro price

#120 ·
@Offroad - thanks for the recommend, we've adjusted the mounting system to make it easier for that type of transfer. Still not QR on helmet, but the slot on the helmet mount are now a U shape, meaning you can simply slide the the light onto the head strap then secure the top part of the headstrap - done.

Gloworm,,,please clarify about the new helmet mount, will that be a part of the package or will it be an extra option?

#126 ·
No Tim, I've been laid up in bed for the past two days, so have been unable to get shots done :cryin:, however I've asked Vag to post some more of the original ones, just to give an idea of the different optic types. I should have some more up by Tuesday all things going well.

Apologies for any inconvenience. It just wasn't going to happen......

Bruce
Gloworm

#129 ·
Hey Bruce. Are we going to see the updated beam shots / photos from the production model of the X1 today ??? Hopefully you'll release some real world side by side beam shots (X2, Xera or ) at the same time ??? Also, are you planning on offering the 2cell BP as an additional add on ??? Have a good one !!!

#130 ·
I feel like I'm coming up with excuses, however I went to do the shots last night NZ time (8hrs ago) and my camera battery was dead. I'll be getting out tonight/tomorrow so you will def have them by Thursday AM US Time.

I really do have to apologise.....

BTW - I'll be doing a comparison with the X2 and also some Duo/X2 comparisons. Additionally one with a combination X2/X1.

Bruce
Gloworm

#132 ·
Good evening..well nearly good morning in NZ!

I spent the evening trying to get the best shots I could to demonstrate the new X1. I have 2 good shots (it was windy) - one demonstarting just the X1 and the other the X1/X2 combo.

I'll get some more over the next couple of nights some on singletrack and some more varied open space ones.

Tree line is at 70m, with the can spaced at 30m, 40m, 50m and 60m.

Camera Canon G7, ISO100, Daylight, 5 sec exp, F4.0

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm

X1

X1 and X2 Combo

#135 ·
Gloworm-those shots are looking good to me.Thanks for posting them. I'm looking to seeing them on the 2013 mtbr shootout!

I've tried to order the X1 from three different computers, I thought there might be some kind of security software at my job preventing me from ordering, but I am getting the same message from 2 other computers. I keep getting a error message stating there is an error with the details submitted, I have started from scratch several times on each computer and same results, is anyone else having these issues? :madman:

#139 ·
Bruce,

The promise is that the parts would ship out in early December, When should the people in the US with pre-orders expect to see there lights?
Hello Texas,

We are currently on the manufacturing stage and we are going to ship the first orders between 10-15 of December. Our plan is to make you an early Xmas present.

Cheers from the workshop
Vag
Gloworm

#141 ·
I'm with you nightrider. I PM'ed Bruce on 12/3 with a few questions. 1- Based on GW's earlier posts, I assumed we were going to see more beam shots ? I mean, really. There is 1 beam shot photo of the production version of X1 by itself... 2- If he could ad a shot of the X2 by itself (we've seen x1 / X1 and X2 together) for comparison. 3- If he planned on sharing some side by shots with his closest competitor ? Its 12/6. I have yet to receive a response... I don't get it !!!

#144 ·
Sorry for the lack of repsonse, we have been flat out trying to ensure the orders are shipped in early December.

crgmoto is correct. I managed to slim down the light without affecting the performance. Through a subtle change in the bezel placement the light diameter is now 31mm not 35mm, with the light and cables weighing in at a smidge under 60g.

Once I get hold of the revised unit, I will post some more detailed shots. In regards to beam shots I'll get out there this weekend to get some more. With comparsion with the X2 and some of the Xera. Thats a promise! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm

#142 ·
Gloworm managed to make the lighthead design even smaller and lighter before starting the production run.

I would imagine that Bruce is waiting to receive one of these lights rather than taking more pictures of the pre-production version.

No doubt Bruce or Vaggelis will be along soon to give more detail.

#146 ·
Nope....the ring stays the same, this is an important part of the waterproofing of the unit :)

We'll get some trail based shots done to really promote the beam variances and comparisons, at least with the X2.

Bruce
Gloworm

#152 ·
Yes, the X2 is brightest of the lot but then again it is a duel emitter lamp vs. one emitter so it should be brighter.

The X1 is not bad but not as tight of of beam pattern as I had hoped for. Really hard to judge all of this from the provided photos though. To get a better idea of how well it illuminates at distance I had to take the photo off the web site and put it on "view image" so I could enlarge it. Then I turn the lights off in my room and try to pick out distant objects. On the spot set-up I could pick out what looks to be a fence just beyond the tree line so perhaps it does have some throw. Of course viewing photos on a computer screen is not quite the same as viewing the output while riding on the trail.

I think when all things are considered, the real selling point of the X1 is the basic design of the light set. It is light-weight, compact, low profile, aesthetically pleasing to the eye with great mounting options. It has all the other Gloworm mode features. It has high quality batteries. Beam pattern should compare well with most other typical single XM-L lights sets.

While I would like to have one of these in my hands, I've decided to wait to see how the new spot optics for the X2 work out as two emitters will almost always be better than one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.