Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm X1 - Single LED Light System

53K views 271 replies 51 participants last post by  pucked up 
#1 · (Edited)
The highly anticipated X1 is the second light by Gloworm, designed 100% in NZ. As the name suggests it is a single LED, XM-L U2 to be exact, driven by a switching regulator that is combined on the same PCB as the LED itself.

The X1 gives out an astonishing 850 lumens from a unit weighing in at 58g (remote included) and 35mm in diameter. It boasts the same characteristics as the X2 in being waterproof, robust and CNC machined from 6061 Alloy - No plastic parts here!

The optics are a custom solution designed to provide maximum throw while maintaining a beam pattern that is easy on the eye - no discolouration, round beam and no artifacts. The kit will include 3 interchangable optics: Flood, Spot, Super Spot. (Beam shots to come in the next day or so).

This tiny unit will utilise the same low profile style mounting solution as the X2 for the helmet, however will not have a bar mount included in the set. Instead our new QR bar mount will be available as an extra accessory. The QR mount will also be compatible with the X2.

The X1 will be supplied with a 2 cell battery (appx 115g), once again containing high capacity Panasonic cells. Its capacity will be 2900 mAh giving a runtime of 2hr 15min on maximum. The 2 cell battery will be compatible with the X2.

Controlling the X1 will be managed through a remote switch. It will also present the same selectable programmes as its big brother.

The Gloworm X1 will retail for $179 USD with a 2 cell battery and can also be ordered with a four cell battery (runtime 4.5hrs).

Spec Summary

850 Lumen (real, not theoretical)
IMT technology (selectable programming)
Light Head Assembly 58 grams
Waterproof to IP66
2.9 AH Lithium Ion Hard Case Battery
1 x Cree U2 XML LEDs
Interchangable Optics (Spot lens and frosted lens)
2.25 hr runtime on max power
Remote switch

IMT Programmes

On pressing the button from 'off' the light will start in Normal Operating Mode. Special modes are accessed by holding down the button for 2 sec from any normal mode. This allows the user to conduct any outdoor activity without having to cycle through the special mode and having an interuption of a steady light beam. Additionally, the X2 is shut down by holding the button for appx 5sec. IMT gives you the flexibility of refined programmes and modes without needing to access them every time you go from High mode back to low. Programmes are changed through a sequence of button presses.

Presales will start pretty soon for a limted number of units - more information will be posted here.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Team Gloworm

See less See more
#30 ·
I love the look of that mount!
One question, is it reversable? Ie, the way it looks in the pic, you would presumably mount it on the right side of the stem to keep the light centred in front of the stem, however, can you mount it on the left side as I already have my Garmin K-edge mount on the right. Is it as easy as just flipping the mount upside down, or does the actual attachment point of the light head allow it to be screwed in from either side of the bracket?

X1 is looking good too BTW

#31 ·
Hi All,

We're getting really excited about getting the X1 to you all! Additionally the QR mount is going to make some people very happy.

The QR mount is an additional accessory and will not replace the o-ring mount, it will be available as an alternative.

With regards to the mount, we're also looking at options to make a version compatible with other brands of lights: i.e. Magicshine....:thumbsup:

@tb123 - The mount is reversable, i.e flip it over, and because the light can be mounted in any direction it will work perfectly!

@Nitro - we'll set some aside for you mate! You're going to love the CNC goodness!

@texas - Yes we will be offering a presale price, this will next week. Shipping should be early December at the latest. The X2 o-ring mount will not be made redundant, instead the QR mount will be an additional accessory if a customer wants that extra rigidity.

@M6TTF - I'll do some combo shots next week for you, I think you'll like the result ;) Additionally we'll do some comparison shots.

Keep the questions coming and we'll keep the annuncements rolling in.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Gloworm

#32 ·
You guys talked about new optics for the x2 that would have more throw..Will those be coming out soon too? Im thinking a x2 on the bar with a mix of flood and throw and then a x2 on the helmet with uber throw-- ohhhh yeah.. :) ..

Also-- if you guys could do a wireless remote like lupine-- id be all over that..

#33 ·
You guys talked about new optics for the x2 that would have more throw..Will those be coming out soon too? Im thinking a x2 on the bar with a mix of flood and throw and then a x2 on the helmet with uber throw-- ohhhh yeah.. :) ..

Also-- if you guys could do a wireless remote like lupine-- id be all over that..
Working on X2 optics as we speak everyone! However as this is the X1 thread, we should tell you that X1 presale pricing will be announced in 24 hrs!! PLus more photos early next week ;)

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Gloworm

#48 ·
Hey mdemm.......didn't mean to miss your post, for this I do apologise :(

The light will be compatible with magicshine/gemini batteries etc. It utilises a switching regulator meaning the input voltage can be higher than that required by the LED. Most of the aforementined batteries are a nominal 7.4v, as are our 2 cell and 4 cell battery.

Once again apologies for the over sight.......

Bruce and Vag
Gloworm

#37 · (Edited)
As promised......(well actually a little bit late).

Gloworm X1 LED Light System Presales will commence Monday 19th November 2012 from The Gloworm Website. UK buyers please go through CRG Moto - Danny.

Presale price will be USD$139 for the full set (2 cell battery) or USD$80 for just the light head

Presale will be restricted to 100 units only

Pricing on the QR mount will also be released in the next week or so.......

We will be posting more beam shots next week with some cool product shots also coming soon!

#46 ·
Cat,

I can't tell what your expectations are for this light. Please clarify.

I think this will be a great option for a helmet mount, as I wouldn't want a battery cord hanging from my head.
The X1 has been touted as a thrower. In my opinion a good thrower is able to clearly highlight trail features at the 200ft range or better. In order to stand out from the typical run-of-the-mill helmet lamp, that is what I would like to see. Admittedly, it is very hard to judge something like distance throw just by looking at a photo. Helps a bit if you have more photos using different terrain.

To make things interesting I'd like to see a direct ( non-bounce ) 5 meter lux read out. The more intense the center spot the higher the reading will be. The higher the reading the more throw you will get.

Don't get me wrong. I love the design of this lamp. Its small, lite weight and has great mounting options, not to mention the mode menu choices and likely a very good battery. Still, all things considered I expect it to beat out the MagicShine 808E and the vast array of generic clone lamps in a throw shoot out comparison.

Not saying that won't happen. I hope it does. I will say the smaller version of the photo makes it look better. Just remember sometimes things aren't what they seem to be with just a quick glance. In the mean time I'm still waiting for something to make me jump up and say, "Hey, now that's one hell of a bright light"!

#44 ·
Hi All

Cat is right - the current shot, although appearing narrow compared to the X2, is not a fair inidcation of the actual beam of the X1.

I am waiting to receive a completed 'production unit' so I can get some production beam shots and images of the actual light (not just a prototype).

To give you an idea - the throw of this unit is superior to other popular lights of its size with a much smoother beam battern. We will have some comparison beam shots soon and come complimentary beam shots with the X2.

If beam shots are not available in time for presale commencement we will extend presales.

@Cat - the restriction is the number of X1's that will be available at the presale price.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Gloworm

#47 ·
When a consumer asks the manufacturer questions (GLOWORM). The prospective consumer expects a response... Sadly, I've yet to get one response (email or my input from this forum back from you). Must admit, this brings to question spending my monies on your product. Consumer support / feedback is key !

#49 ·
Hi All

I should have the production model of the X1 in my hands tomorrow. I'll start off by taking some detailed HQ photographs, then I should get the beam shots to you by the end of the week.

In the meantime, PRESALES are open www.glowormlites.com. Presales will be open for 2 weeks with only 100 units being made available for presale.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
Gloworm

#51 · (Edited)
Hey,

The X1 is a calculated 850 lumens OTF, unfortunately the beamshot is not a good representation........ :(

The light is driven at 2.8A max, with a 95% efficient driver, plus the optics are 90% efficient. As a comparisoin, the X1 is brighter than its closest rival (another 850 single XML light).

Our calculations are made using www.pct.cree.com. This method was also used for the Gloworm X2, which many discribed as seemingly brighter than 1200 lumens.

Sorry, mount is not compatible with the Piko.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag

#53 ·
So the light head only option for the X1 is not included in the pre-sale? There does not seem to be an option for this on your web site.

Also do you have to purchase the head strap or is it included with the X1? From your site it seems like you need to purchase it for an extra USD $15.

#58 ·
Hi All

The 'light head only' option has been added to the site :thumbsup:

@ Colleen - Regarding the tint Colleen, it is 1B the same as the X2 (no green at all), once again the photo has not given a true reflection. This is one of the reasons I will be taking some good beam shots at the end of this week - I have a Canon G9, the same as what Francios uses in his tests. This should produce some beam shots worthy of the light.

@mdemm - I am receiving the production unit today with the intention of taking some HQ detailed photographs for the website and for here.

@Maximus - We're still waiting on the first battery off the production line, but basically its half a Gloworm 4 cell battery with slightly thicker housing plastic (to reduce any chance of breakage of the velcro loop).

@pucked up - The headstrap is an extra accessory. It has now on the site at $10.

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.