Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 272
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    116
    Is it just me, or does the X2 look to be the best of the lot?
    Maybe not quite as bright in the middle of the hotspot, but best overall light and distance doesnt seem to be much different

  2. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    Is it just me, or does the X2 look to be the best of the lot?
    Maybe not quite as bright in the middle of the hotspot, but best overall light and distance doesnt seem to be much different
    Yes, the X2 is brightest of the lot but then again it is a duel emitter lamp vs. one emitter so it should be brighter.

    The X1 is not bad but not as tight of of beam pattern as I had hoped for. Really hard to judge all of this from the provided photos though. To get a better idea of how well it illuminates at distance I had to take the photo off the web site and put it on "view image" so I could enlarge it. Then I turn the lights off in my room and try to pick out distant objects. On the spot set-up I could pick out what looks to be a fence just beyond the tree line so perhaps it does have some throw. Of course viewing photos on a computer screen is not quite the same as viewing the output while riding on the trail.

    I think when all things are considered, the real selling point of the X1 is the basic design of the light set. It is light-weight, compact, low profile, aesthetically pleasing to the eye with great mounting options. It has all the other Gloworm mode features. It has high quality batteries. Beam pattern should compare well with most other typical single XM-L lights sets.

    While I would like to have one of these in my hands, I've decided to wait to see how the new spot optics for the X2 work out as two emitters will almost always be better than one.

  3. #153
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The X1 is not bad but not as tight of of beam pattern as I had hoped for. Really hard to judge all of this from the provided photos though.
    Hey TB and Cat

    In reality the X1 Spot out throws the X2 by about 15ft (5m), the fence in the background was my guide there. If you look closely the far fence is definetly more illuminated in teh X1 spot shot than it is in the X2 shot.

    The X1 is brighter in the centre, hence the increased throw, however will never be as bright overall as the X2 (2 XML at 2A vs 1 XML).

    The prototype when tested against the Xera also had more throw....but I subsequently rendered the Xera irreparable (it got too wet).

    Any ideas on how to photograph/what location to visit to better indicate the throw of a light? I saw a stadium shot once, where the light was setup in the middle of a marked field and the photographer took the shot perpendicular to the beam....I might try this one.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    141
    Hey Bruce,
    Regarding to better indicate the light throw. I think your original shots from the earlier post #132 were quite impressive. They showed detail. The latest shots sorely lack this. I realize, this is (probably) due to the images being 640x480 vs 1600x1200. To keep things on a level playing field maybe you could repost them at the larger size ? Another thing of note when looking the latest shots. When comparing the spot to the standard lens. I you can visibly see a halo or darker colored ring in the shots.

  5. #155
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by mdemm View Post
    Hey Bruce,
    Regarding to better indicate the light throw. I think your original shots from the earlier post #132 were quite impressive. They showed detail. The latest shots sorely lack this. I realize, this is (probably) due to the images being 640x480 vs 1600x1200. To keep things on a level playing field maybe you could repost them at the larger size ? Another thing of note when looking the latest shots. When comparing the spot to the standard lens. I you can visibly see a halo or darker colored ring in the shots.
    Right, I have posted links to the larger images (just so we don't upset the MTBR site). These give a much better indication of detail at distance, especially the fence line behind the trees. Additionally there is a tree with some cut branches on the fence line. In some pics these cut areas are quite visible, in others it is not.

    Regarding the halo (def not dark rings), the spot lens has a slight halo as a consequence of the design to ensure a brighter centre and therefore more throw. The Standard doesn't have any halo whatsoever and throws nearly the same distance.

    The shots were designed to indicate throw and detail at distance rather than detail up close, like post #132.

    I'll try to do some others tomorrow night on a bush trail.

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm

  6. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Looking at the same time as the X1's - early December

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm
    The glowormlites site says the QRs are in stock. Is this true, when do the pre-orders start shipping? Thanks in advance

  7. #157
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    306

    XM-L U3 on the X1

    Hello,

    We have a great announcement.

    Gloworm X1 will be coming with XM-L U3 emitters instead of the XM-L U2 that was originally planned. U3 will give an extra boost to brightness of around 8%.

    We just managed to acquire U3 this week and for this reason the delivery time will be slightly affected. We plan to ship presales on the 18th of December. The QR mounts will be available and ship at the same date.

    Cheers,
    Vaggelis
    Gloworm Manufacturing
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 12-11-2012 at 08:07 AM.

  8. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    141
    EXCELLENT !!! Thats the kind of news we like to hear. Bruce and Vaggelis, you guys are on top of it... A question. Have you received the new head belt yet ? If so, was wondering if you could post a picture of same. I've got an X1 on order. Can't wait to try it out...

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hello,

    We have a great announcement.

    Gloworm X1 will be coming with XM-L U3 emitters instead of the XM-L U2 that was originally planned. U3 will give an extra boost to brightness of around 8%.

    We just managed to acquire U3 this week and for this reason the delivery time will be slightly affected. We plan to ship presales on the 18th of December. The QR mounts will be available and ship at the same date.

    Cheers,
    Vaggelis
    Gloworm Manufacturing
    I am sure you know this, but the U3 is 12V. I had one that I couldn't get to work until I figured out that the usual 3.7v wouldn't drive it.

  10. #160
    Glowormlites UK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I am sure you know this, but the U3 is 12V. I had one that I couldn't get to work until I figured out that the usual 3.7v wouldn't drive it.
    Are you sure? It's the same led as all the other Cree XM-L's (T4/5/6/U2) but just a different bin.

  11. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by crgmoto View Post
    Are you sure? It's the same led as all the other Cree XM-L's (T4/5/6/U2) but just a different bin.
    Maybe it's not the same U3. I got one from Cutter, and it has 4 distinctive dies on it. I think each die is in series.

    Cutter Electronics

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Maybe it's not the same U3. I got one from Cutter, and it has 4 distinctive dies on it. I think each die is in series.

    Cutter Electronics
    THis one is 6V Cutter Electronics
    "It looks flexy"

  13. #163
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Maybe it's not the same U3. I got one from Cutter, and it has 4 distinctive dies on it. I think each die is in series.

    Cutter Electronics
    Hey,

    Cree produce both. The 12v one is usuallly EZ white (which your link points to) the ones we are using are 2.4v-4.0v input.

    Additionally the dies are a little different.

    This is the 12v EZ white XML-U3

    This is the 2.4-4v XML U2 (U3 looks the same)

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    497
    Are there any difference in the tint between U2 and U3?
    "By Your Command"

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey,

    Cree produce both. The 12v one is usuallly EZ white (which your link points to) the ones we are using are 2.4v-4.0v input.

    Additionally the dies are a little different.

    This is the 12v EZ white XML-U3

    This is the 2.4-4v XML U2 (U3 looks the same)

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm
    Thanks Bruce, I'd assumed you were on top of it, just didn't want you stuck with the same mistake I made.

  16. #166
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Are there any difference in the tint between U2 and U3?
    Hello,

    We have chosen the same tint as X2 and as in the latest beamshots. No differences.

    Cheers,
    Vaggelis

  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Looking at the same time as the X1's - early December

    Cheers

    Bruce
    Gloworm
    Bruce,

    How about an update on shipping for the X1, one of your post gave a est ship time between the 10-15th. I placed my order with Jim @ Action-led last week. Thanks

  18. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfast View Post
    Bruce,

    How about an update on shipping for the X1, one of your post gave a est ship time between the 10-15th. I placed my order with Jim @ Action-led last week. Thanks
    You mean like the one a couple of posts above ^^^

    "We just managed to acquire U3 this week and for this reason the delivery time will be slightly affected. We plan to ship presales on the 18th of December. The QR mounts will be available and ship at the same date."

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    88
    I must have snoozed right thru that. Thanks!
    Last edited by Pedalfast; 12-14-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spelling error

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    32
    Ordered my X1 from Danny yesterday, can't wait to recieve it, especially as its been pimped from the original spec! Currently drowning in man flu so not ridden for a week

  21. #171
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    306
    Just to keep you all in the picture.....assembly is under way with the updated LED.

    Behold the heart of the X1


  22. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    141
    Now that we've seen the heart. Is the transplant going to be completed in time for the scheduled shipping date of the 18th ???

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    88
    Have the QRs shipped yet?

  24. #174
    ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Reputation: Gloworm Manufacture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    306
    Hello guys,

    This time we do not have so good news as the shipments have been delayed to the end of this week due to manufacturing delays.

    Apologies for this delay. Be sure that we are working on delivering you a high quality product.

    Cheers,
    Vaggelis

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    88
    This comes as no surprise here. But I would rather have a short delay with quality assurance.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •