Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is it just me, or does the X2 look to be the best of the lot?
    Maybe not quite as bright in the middle of the hotspot, but best overall light and distance doesnt seem to be much different

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    Is it just me, or does the X2 look to be the best of the lot?
    Maybe not quite as bright in the middle of the hotspot, but best overall light and distance doesnt seem to be much different
    Yes, the X2 is brightest of the lot but then again it is a duel emitter lamp vs. one emitter so it should be brighter.

The X1 is not bad but not as tight of of beam pattern as I had hoped for. Really hard to judge all of this from the provided photos though. To get a better idea of how well it illuminates at distance I had to take the photo off the web site and put it on "view image" so I could enlarge it. Then I turn the lights off in my room and try to pick out distant objects. On the spot set-up I could pick out what looks to be a fence just beyond the tree line so perhaps it does have some throw. Of course viewing photos on a computer screen is not quite the same as viewing the output while riding on the trail.

I think when all things are considered, the real selling point of the X1 is the basic design of the light set. It is light-weight, compact, low profile, aesthetically pleasing to the eye with great mounting options. It has all the other Gloworm mode features. It has high quality batteries. Beam pattern should compare well with most other typical single XM-L lights sets.

While I would like to have one of these in my hands, I've decided to wait to see how the new spot optics for the X2 work out as two emitters will almost always be better than one.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The X1 is not bad but not as tight of of beam pattern as I had hoped for. Really hard to judge all of this from the provided photos though.
    Hey TB and Cat

In reality the X1 Spot out throws the X2 by about 15ft (5m), the fence in the background was my guide there. If you look closely the far fence is definetly more illuminated in teh X1 spot shot than it is in the X2 shot.

The X1 is brighter in the centre, hence the increased throw, however will never be as bright overall as the X2 (2 XML at 2A vs 1 XML).

The prototype when tested against the Xera also had more throw....but I subsequently rendered the Xera irreparable (it got too wet).

Any ideas on how to photograph/what location to visit to better indicate the throw of a light? I saw a stadium shot once, where the light was setup in the middle of a marked field and the photographer took the shot perpendicular to the beam....I might try this one.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey Bruce,
    Regarding to better indicate the light throw. I think your original shots from the earlier post #132 were quite impressive. They showed detail. The latest shots sorely lack this. I realize, this is (probably) due to the images being 640x480 vs 1600x1200. To keep things on a level playing field maybe you could repost them at the larger size ? Another thing of note when looking the latest shots. When comparing the spot to the standard lens. I you can visibly see a halo or darker colored ring in the shots.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by mdemm View Post
    Hey Bruce,
    Regarding to better indicate the light throw. I think your original shots from the earlier post #132 were quite impressive. They showed detail. The latest shots sorely lack this. I realize, this is (probably) due to the images being 640x480 vs 1600x1200. To keep things on a level playing field maybe you could repost them at the larger size ? Another thing of note when looking the latest shots. When comparing the spot to the standard lens. I you can visibly see a halo or darker colored ring in the shots.
    Right, I have posted links to the larger images (just so we don't upset the MTBR site). These give a much better indication of detail at distance, especially the fence line behind the trees. Additionally there is a tree with some cut branches on the fence line. In some pics these cut areas are quite visible, in others it is not.

Regarding the halo (def not dark rings), the spot lens has a slight halo as a consequence of the design to ensure a brighter centre and therefore more throw. The Standard doesn't have any halo whatsoever and throws nearly the same distance.

The shots were designed to indicate throw and detail at distance rather than detail up close, like post #132.

I'll try to do some others tomorrow night on a bush trail.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Looking at the same time as the X1's - early December

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    The glowormlites site says the QRs are in stock. Is this true, when do the pre-orders start shipping? Thanks in advance

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

XM-L U3 on the X1

Hello,

We have a great announcement.

Gloworm X1 will be coming with XM-L U3 emitters instead of the XM-L U2 that was originally planned. U3 will give an extra boost to brightness of around 8%.

We just managed to acquire U3 this week and for this reason the delivery time will be slightly affected. We plan to ship presales on the 18th of December. The QR mounts will be available and ship at the same date.

Cheers,
    Vaggelis
    Gloworm Manufacturing
    Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 12-11-2012 at 08:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    EXCELLENT !!! Thats the kind of news we like to hear. Bruce and Vaggelis, you guys are on top of it... A question. Have you received the new head belt yet ? If so, was wondering if you could post a picture of same. I've got an X1 on order. Can't wait to try it out...

mtbr member
    Hello,

We have a great announcement.

Gloworm X1 will be coming with XM-L U3 emitters instead of the XM-L U2 that was originally planned. U3 will give an extra boost to brightness of around 8%.

We just managed to acquire U3 this week and for this reason the delivery time will be slightly affected. We plan to ship presales on the 18th of December. The QR mounts will be available and ship at the same date.

Cheers,
    Vaggelis
    Gloworm Manufacturing
    I am sure you know this, but the U3 is 12V. I had one that I couldn't get to work until I figured out that the usual 3.7v wouldn't drive it.

Glowormlites UK
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I am sure you know this, but the U3 is 12V. I had one that I couldn't get to work until I figured out that the usual 3.7v wouldn't drive it.
    Are you sure? It's the same led as all the other Cree XM-L's (T4/5/6/U2) but just a different bin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crgmoto View Post
    Are you sure? It's the same led as all the other Cree XM-L's (T4/5/6/U2) but just a different bin.
    Maybe it's not the same U3. I got one from Cutter, and it has 4 distinctive dies on it. I think each die is in series.

Cutter Electronics

mtbr member
    Maybe it's not the same U3. I got one from Cutter, and it has 4 distinctive dies on it. I think each die is in series.

Cutter Electronics
    THis one is 6V Cutter Electronics
    "It looks flexy"

ww.glowormlites.co.nz

Cutter Electronics
    Hey,

Cree produce both. The 12v one is usuallly EZ white (which your link points to) the ones we are using are 2.4v-4.0v input.

Additionally the dies are a little different.

This is the 12v EZ white XML-U3

This is the 2.4-4v XML U2 (U3 looks the same)

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Are there any difference in the tint between U2 and U3?
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Hey,

Cree produce both. The 12v one is usuallly EZ white (which your link points to) the ones we are using are 2.4v-4.0v input.

Additionally the dies are a little different.

This is the 12v EZ white XML-U3

This is the 2.4-4v XML U2 (U3 looks the same)

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    Thanks Bruce, I'd assumed you were on top of it, just didn't want you stuck with the same mistake I made.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Are there any difference in the tint between U2 and U3?
    Hello,

We have chosen the same tint as X2 and as in the latest beamshots. No differences.

Cheers,
    Vaggelis

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Looking at the same time as the X1's - early December

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    Bruce,

How about an update on shipping for the X1, one of your post gave a est ship time between the 10-15th. I placed my order with Jim @ Action-led last week. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfast View Post
    Bruce,

How about an update on shipping for the X1, one of your post gave a est ship time between the 10-15th. I placed my order with Jim @ Action-led last week. Thanks
    You mean like the one a couple of posts above ^^^

"We just managed to acquire U3 this week and for this reason the delivery time will be slightly affected. We plan to ship presales on the 18th of December. The QR mounts will be available and ship at the same date."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I must have snoozed right thru that. Thanks!
    Last edited by Pedalfast; 12-14-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spelling error

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ordered my X1 from Danny yesterday, can't wait to recieve it, especially as its been pimped from the original spec! Currently drowning in man flu so not ridden for a week

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Just to keep you all in the picture.....assembly is under way with the updated LED.

Behold the heart of the X1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Now that we've seen the heart. Is the transplant going to be completed in time for the scheduled shipping date of the 18th ???

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Have the QRs shipped yet?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello guys,

This time we do not have so good news as the shipments have been delayed to the end of this week due to manufacturing delays.

Apologies for this delay. Be sure that we are working on delivering you a high quality product.

Cheers,
    Vaggelis

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This comes as no surprise here. But I would rather have a short delay with quality assurance.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast