mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like there's another development in the clone wars - a light that takes a lot of cues from the Gloworm X1, in XM-L T6 and XM-L U2 versions. Not really identical (different mount, no remote, different UI) but looks to be similar in size and form factor.
    Last edited by zuuds; 10-08-2013 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Don't know if I would call them X1 clones...more like Xera clones. The X1's are just too different.

I like that Kaidomain version with U2. That might make a nice helmet lamp but than again I like a rear mounted switch for helmet lamps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It looks like the lights I originally saw are clones of (or are) the Fandyfire F88.

One is on the slow boat to me from Kaidomain... I should have checked DX first, their price is better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Interesting. I can't imagine that it's that much different than any other clone, but I'm curious what you think of it. These things are really cheap now.

I wish they would have put the mount and the switch on the same vertical line. That would have prevented any rotation from pressing the switch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Interesting. I can't imagine that it's that much different than any other clone, but I'm curious what you think of it. These things are really cheap now.

I wish they would have put the mount and the switch on the same vertical line. That would have prevented any rotation from pressing the switch.
    I was drawn to this one because it seems more compact than the typical MS clone, and I'm hoping it has the same UI as the Gemini Duo clone (low-mid-hi, long press for strobe). I'm trying to make a poor man's duo/xera setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That makes sense. It does look it has decent heat management.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I was drawn to this one because it seems more compact than the typical MS clone, and I'm hoping it has the same UI as the Gemini Duo clone (low-mid-hi, long press for strobe). I'm trying to make a poor man's duo/xera setup.
    There are going to be a couple issues here that need to be brought up with these mini- lamps. They might be smaller and have less weight than typical MS type single XM-l lamps but with the smaller reflectors and smaller body you will have trade offs. Namely, poorer heat dissipation and a beam pattern that is not as focused.

Personally I use a 501B torch for a helmet lamp most of the time. While it is wireless and light-weight the trade off is less throw with a wider beam pattern. Works well enough for most moderate single track when use with a good bar lamp but when the fall comes I need more intensive light coming off the helmet.

While it's nice to have a smaller profile lamp on the helmet nothing beats the beam patterns given off by the bigger lamps with a larger reflector. That said I don't own one of these new mini lamps so I really can't comment on how well they throw. ( I'm using my torch as my benchmark ) If the mini's can provide usable throw up to 150 ft. then it would certainly make a nice alternative to the bigger lamps.

Over the weekend I switched from my helmet torch to my Xeccon X-12 ( XM-L2 version ). With the trails loaded with leaves and debris I needed to see farther into the distance. To date nothing I own beats the distance throw of the X-12. While it is my heaviest helmet lamp it's still my "Go to" helmet lamp when I absolutely have to be able to see what's ahead of me. When my +2hr ride was done I was pleasantly surprised to see the voltage indicator *still on green. ( *most of the time the lamp was in the lower lower level which still has decent usable throw ).

All said, if you want the best mini helmet lamp I would go with either a Gemini Xera ( with tight spot optic ) or with the new version of the Gloworm X1. Both of these should shortly be coming out with the newer XM-L2 emitters and both will have programmable menus. However if you don't have the buck$ for one of these perhaps one of the mini XM-L clones might not be such a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It looks like there's a new mini-light on the market, the Ultrafire UF-23B, also 4 modes. Size looks very similar, but a different lighthead design. Also, instead of standard Magicshine-type cables it uses RCA cables, which connect to a cylindrical hardcase battery pack.

The Ultrafire is alleged to put out 700 Chinese Lumens and is priced at $58.60, whereas the Fandyfire F88 is $35.70 and 800 Chinese Lumens, so the Fandyfire looks like a better bet.

I would post a review/impressions of the Fandyfire F88 from Kaidomain, but it's been almost a month since I placed my order and it still hasn't arrived.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    $58 is a lot of money for a single xml clone. I would rather buy the Gemini Duo clone.

Shipping out of the east has been really been slow over the last month. There was a holiday that backed everything up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    $58 is a lot of money for a single xml clone. I would rather buy the Gemini Duo clone.

Shipping out of the east has been really been slow over the last month. There was a holiday that backed everything up.
    Come to think of it, $41 was too much to pay for the Fandyfire from KD. I probably would have been better off forking out an additional $10 and getting another Gemini Duo clone. But this was a quasi-impulse buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My light finally showed up today. I'll post some pics later if anyone's interested. I haven't had an opportunity to see it in the dark but I happen to have a night ride lined up tonight.

The build quality is good, I would say on par with the Yinding Duo clone. It has a good solid feeling to it. The anodizing and machining are clean. The bezel has an o-ring and threads are anodized and very smooth.

The battery connectors are the non-threaded Magicshine type, but I haven't tested them yet to see if they're compatible with my Magicshine charger and HunkLee batteries. The female connector on the battery is shrouded.

The UI is high -> med -> low -> strobe -> off, no mode memory. The power switch is illuminated when connected to the battery. I'm disappointed that the strobe is not a hidden mode. (strobe comes on immediately after low with a short click, whereas with the Duo clone, you have to long press to access the strobe.) But at least strobe is at the end of the sequence, so from low you can double click to quickly hit strobe and off.

It took so damn long for this thing to show up that I got impatient and bought a Gemini Duo while I was waiting for it . My current setup is a Duo on the bars and Duo clone on the helmet, which is working out great. I'll give this light a try on the helmet. I'm sure it will throw farther than the Duo, but I haven't really felt like I need more throw. This light will probably end up being a spare/loaner.