Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gloworm Lights

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR

Well it's been a while but we're back! Back on the forum that is

We've been concentrating on fine tuning our products and making plans for new and improved products - with your help of course.

We managed to meet a few of you face to face at Interbike, which was certainly valuable, as you let us know what you really wanted to see from your products.

So to start off I thought we better let you know of a couple of upgrades that have already occurred and what we're looking at for the near future.

New Carbon reinforced Nylon QR Bar Mount This was fashioned around the same design as our CNC version but with modifications made to suit the material we are using. The Carbon Nylon mix is super strong and is much sturdier than the outdated 'o-ring' style mount. These are now standard on our X1, X2 and soon to be released CX (Self Contained) lights.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102952.jpg

QR Helmet Mount with CNC Arm This is the 2nd version of our QR helmet mount. Still made to be used with GoPro, it now features a different bolt and arm system, providing a rock solid interface with the mount.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-12144962_1043860785638616_4096981773784626627_n.jpg

Battery Fuel Gauge We admit there were some accuracy issues with the previous indicator. It was just that - an indication. Our new gauge features similar tech to a cell phone in regards to power indication. Its very accurate and not so bright.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102702_001.jpg

X2 Housing We decided to give the old faithful X2 a bit of touch up with some aggressive machining to the fin area. We think it looks great and really matches up with the XS.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102234.jpg

Wide Angle Optic for XS and X2 The new optic that is included in all XS and X2 sets throws a wide rectangular beam of even light. Combined with a spot optic it creates a unique yet very usable light pattern.

Name:  X2-XS_lens_small_large.jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  16.0 KB

Well I think that's about it for now. So remember if you have any questions about your products or simply want to know more let us know.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102952.jpg  

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102702_001.jpg  

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102234.jpg  

Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Will the new QR fit a 35mm bar? Really in need of one that will as I seem to be rather proficient at losing the rubber bands, which are unfortunately the only way to mount the XS to my bar currently.

because GIANT
    Can you add an adapter to allow O-ring mount ?

some of us like the o-ring mounting, it holds the light just fine and allows
    quick tilt when hitting road segments between trails so we don't blind cagers
    on the short connector trips. hate to stop just to adjust a light, o-rings work fine
    when the light is centered [drops don't make mine droop ]

anyhow good work on the improvements
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 11-06-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Gloworm Lights
    We have developed the 35mm version and this will be available soon. We worked on releaseing the 31.8 first as it is now standard with our lights. Moving away from the o-ring style mount.

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Can you add an adapter to allow O-ring mount ?

some of us like the o-ring mounting, it holds the light just fine and allows
    quick tilt when hitting road segments between trails so we don't blind cagers
    on the short connector trips. hate to stop just to adjust a light, o-rings work fine
    when the light is centered [drops don't make mine droop ]

anyhow good work on the improvements
    The QR will not have an adapter for o-rings, however noting your point above, Gloworm lights can be pivoted easily at the light head with need for rotating the mount itself.

Cheers!

used to be RipRoar
    any updates on the availability of 35mm mount?

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    any updates on the availability of 35mm mount?
    We just had the first product from the injection mold and it looks great. You'll be seeing it very soon.

Action LED Lights

Neutral White X1's

We ordered a limited number of 2016 X1's with a Neutral White led so it is now an option in the listing 2016 Gloworm X1. The price of the upgrade for a new 2016 X2 or XS has been reduced to $15 for the X2 and $20 for the XS.

35mm mounts are ready but the factory forgot to pack them with the order we received Monday so it will be a couple of more weeks before we have them listed.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    We ordered a limited number of 2016 X1's with a Neutral White led so it is now an option in the listing 2016 Gloworm X1. The price of the upgrade for a new 2016 X2 or XS has been reduced to $15 for the X2 and $20 for the XS.

35mm mounts are ready but the factory forgot to pack them with the order we received Monday so it will be a couple of more weeks before we have them listed.
    Yeah that was a bit of an error! They'll be on there way soon.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the new QR handlebar mount and it is pretty sweet! Much much much better than the O-ring mount by far.

Now send me some of the that wireless tech you are working on please!

mtbr member
    I'll second that...( ^^^ )....waiting on the wireless remote upgrades. That said I can't help but wonder how wireless remotes are going to work in a race or group ride environment. It would be real screwy if you had a lamp going and suddenly the lamp changed modes because someone else with a remote changed theirs and you just happened to be within range of their remote. Hopefully there is a dedicated process where the lamp "Must" be in a certain ( press/hold ) mode before an outside remote can sync to another lamp head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I recently got the new aluminum arm version of the QR helmet mount for my Gloworm X2. I think it'll hold up much better than the plastic one.

Jim at Action LED is still offering some of the best customer service you could hope to find. Very happy that I bought through him.

Action LED Lights
    I've decided to include the new aluminum helmet mount with all the remaining 2015 lights.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Action LED Lights
    The new 35mm quick release handlebar mount has arrived.
    Gloworm Composite Quick Release Handlebar Mount ? Action-LED-Lights
    Also, the X1 is now available in Neutral White.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Battery Fuel Gauge We admit there were some accuracy issues with the previous indicator. It was just that - an indication. Our new gauge features similar tech to a cell phone in regards to power indication. Its very accurate and not so bright.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151106_102702_001.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1026779
    This may sound dumb but I'm not sure how to read the fuel gauge. It shows 0-50 on top and 50-100 on the bottom. I understand that the more lit LED's means greater percentage of charge remaining. How do I know if the lit LED's represent 0-50 or 50-100? Thanks in advance!

PS - Just bought an X2 with the 4 cell HC 50 Wh battery. Sweet light setup! Used it for the 1st time last night and was truly impressed! Love how easy it is to switch between modes with the remote.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    This may sound dumb but I'm not sure how to read the fuel gauge. It shows 0-50 on top and 50-100 on the bottom. I understand that the more lit LED's means greater percentage of charge remaining. How do I know if the lit LED's represent 0-50 or 50-100? Thanks in advance!

PS - Just bought an X2 with the 4 cell HC 50 Wh battery. Sweet light setup! Used it for the 1st time last night and was truly impressed! Love how easy it is to switch between modes with the remote.
    There is a good reason for some to be confused. Gloworm switched vendors for the sticker that goes over the fuel gauge and missed the fact that they printed the numbers backwards.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-stickers.jpeg

The one on the right is the new (backwards) one.
    The way the gauge functions there are 2 rows of leds. The top row is green. The bottom row has one green, two amber and 2 red.
    During discharge it will start with 5 green lights for 100%. It will then drop to 4 for 90%, 3 for 80% etc. At 50% it will drop to the bottom row with all 5 lit. They will then drop off one at a time. At 10% the last red light will flash.
    The gauge measures the voltage coming out of the pack. If your running an XS at 100% power the voltage will be pulled down and give you a low reading. If you switch to a lower setting you may see the fuel gauge go up a notch or two.
    During charge the gauge is animated. The led indicating the charge level stays lit and the ones below it light and go out in sequence. It starts with the 0 - 50% row and then goes to the 50 - 100% row.
    Hope that makes things clear.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    The way the gauge functions there are 2 rows of leds. The top row is green. The bottom row has one green, two amber and 2 red.
    During discharge it will start with 5 green lights for 100%. It will then drop to 4 for 90%, 3 for 80% etc. At 50% it will drop to the bottom row with all 5 lit. They will then drop off one at a time. At 10% the last red light will flash.
    The gauge measures the voltage coming out of the pack. If your running an XS at 100% power the voltage will be pulled down and give you a low reading. If you switch to a lower setting you may see the fuel gauge go up a notch or two.
    During charge the gauge is animated. The led indicating the charge level stays lit and the ones below it light and go out in sequence. It starts with the 0 - 50% row and then goes to the 50 - 100% row.
    Hope that makes things clear.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. So on my ride last night, I ended up with 2 green LED's, which means I was still at 70%?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. So on my ride last night, I ended up with 2 green LED's, which means I was still at 70%?
    Correct.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Action, ya got any teaser info/pics of the new gloworm xs? Thx Jim!

Gloworm Lights

Wireless Remote Update

Hey All

Sorry for the silence from our end, things have been super busy as we have been assessing the direction of the bicycle lighting industry and the progress the electronic tech.

We've also been looking at our current products and what small improvements need to be made to make them even better.

With all this going on, our small team has been pushed to its limits and as such we have not been able to make the progress we wished to on the wireless remote. Although this is a very important part of our development it is not the only thing we have been developing recently.

Subsequently, we are giving this a little more time and planning a launch at the start of the next season in August 2017. Not only does this ensure our products are up to standard, it also allow us to consolidate our upgrade/changes/improvements into one launch.

Sorry to the be the bearer of not so good news, but believe us when we say the outcome will be worth the wait.

As always feel free to ask any questions you may have.......

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    I noticed the Gloworm XS light's lumen rating has been increased from 2200 to 2500. Any particular reason for the increased lumens from this light?
    Mole

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I noticed the Gloworm XS light's lumen rating has been increased from 2200 to 2500. Any particular reason for the increased lumens from this light?
    Mole
    @MRMOLE - thanks for the question. THe XS has always been about 2300 lumens measured. This was using the XML2 U2 LEDs. We upgraded our systems to U3 LEDs and also bumped up the current by a small amount. This current change did not have a significant affect on the actual run time.

Cheers

mtbr member
    People who buy top of the line lights like the XS do care about little upgrades like this. Extra lumens are great but along with lumens the latest emitters are more efficient and longer runtimes @ a given output plus a cooler running light are also a benefit. Thanks for the information and keeping your products current!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Got a email from Action-LED-Lights showing some IMO important upgrades to the 2017 Gloworm line. Nice improvements!
    Mole

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g1.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g2.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g3.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g4.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g5.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .... Nice improvements!
    I agree. I can see a heatsink version of my GoPro adapter for GloWorm in the future.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I agree. I can see a heatsink version of my GoPro adapter for GloWorm in the future.
    That will be a huge improvement for me living in the southwest desert. These lights activate their thermal protection far more than most people realize, it's just harder to detect because of the gradual step down. The main reason I got my XS was because the X2 wasn't bright enough in the warmer months here. New remote button also has the potential to be a big improvement as the old one had little "feel" when used with gloves. So good job Gloworm!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Hey All

Sorry for the silence from our end, things have been super busy as we have been assessing the direction of the bicycle lighting industry and the progress the electronic tech.

We've also been looking at our current products and what small improvements need to be made to make them even better.

With all this going on, our small team has been pushed to its limits and as such we have not been able to make the progress we wished to on the wireless remote. Although this is a very important part of our development it is not the only thing we have been developing recently.

Subsequently, we are giving this a little more time and planning a launch at the start of the next season in August 2017. Not only does this ensure our products are up to standard, it also allow us to consolidate our upgrade/changes/improvements into one launch.

Sorry to the be the bearer of not so good news, but believe us when we say the outcome will be worth the wait.

Bruce and Vag
    Well, I'm a bit disappointed to read that, "No Wireless remote" is going to be offered this year. Okay, I guess that gets put on a back burner but what is even more disappointing is the fact that nothing is going to be done about the "accidental entering into programming mode" issue. I like the new ( physical ) changes to the lamp and the upgrades to the emitter and such but without the issue of , "inadvertent programming mode activation" being addressed", I'm afraid I have to pass on a newer upgraded version until that issue is addressed. To me, function of the UI is of highest priority. I've got to be able to "rapid-fire" the remote without worry or it just isn't going to be worth it to change my current set-up.

I also see no mention of a NW version ( U3 ) being offered on the newer lights. Are the newer (2017 ) versions all cool white? Is NW going to be offered in an XM-L2 U3?

mtbr member
    Continued from last post:

Sorry, I missed the fact that the quoted, "next season" was not the "next year" as I was thinking when I last posted. I wish the wireless stuff was coming out now and not in August. I'm figuring "Wireless" means a whole new series of electronics. I sincerely hope this means the problem with "inadvertent activation of the programming mode" of the user interface gets addressed once all the changes are made. I've always loved my Gloworm lamps. If the UI once again becomes as "flawless" as the earlier editions, I can see a new XS ( with wireless remote ) sitting on top of my helmet by September of this year. ( provided they offer a choice using neutral white emitters ).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That will be a huge improvement for me living in the southwest desert. These lights activate their thermal protection far more than most people realize, it's just harder to detect because of the gradual step down.
    I just need someone to buy one and send it to me for measuring/test fitting.

BTW, 35mm swivel mounts should be running in the CNC middle of next week if all goes as planned.

mtbr member
    Can someone from GW tell me when the new Gopro mount and adapters are going to be available. (?) This mount looks promising even if not used with a GW lamp.

I'm a bit worried about the design though. The photo shows the GP piece "locking" into the side of the bar mount. With the back of the Gopro piece being "squared off" I'm a bit worried if there is a limitation on how far the lamp will be able to be adjusted backward. (?)

Name:  1129510d1490978009t-gloworm-lights-back-mtbr-g2.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  23.6 KB

Gloworm Lights
    Hey All - great to see some awesome feedback coming through. I'll try to get an answer to most of it for you.

Most of all we have been trying to make the current systems more robust and versatile - before looking at advancing the designs. i.e. Wireless remote, new lights.

This means looking at areas where issues may arise. We addressed the cables first. As with any electronic device with cables this is a weak point. As is where the cables enter the body of the product. We wanted to make these changes retro-fittable to previous light systems so older units could be upgraded.

Next up was mounting systems. There are so many variations on mounting out there thatr we wanted to make our products as versatile as possible without going over board. We incorporated the new Universal Mounting System to all light systems and mounts to be interchangeable without too much hassle. We also looked at areas of potential improvement and made some subtle changes to improve already great mounting systems.

@Cat-man-do

Wireless Remote - we put the remote on the secondary list while we were working on the other improvments. Although it was a priority, we needed to ensure our product was as robust as possible. The good news is the wireless remote has been tested and works well. The remote itself has great aesthetics and ergonomics - but most importantly function. We are aiming to launch at the beginning of the northern hemisphere fall/winter season.

NW LEDs - we will be offering this in the future direct from our site. However our lights will continue to come standard with Cool White, but at the warmer end of the spectrum. In the meantime you can get the upgrade service through Jim at Action LED Lights.

Mount - We see your point about the mount, however due to the width of the light in relation to the mount, the light will actually strike the mount before the interaction point on the mount. I've attached some images below to illustrate this. The benefit of the QR mount is that it too can be rotated and mounted in any direction to achieve the ideal mount. It does not need to be mounted in the manner pictured. e.g. I mount mine under the bars of my road bike, keeping it out of the way.

UI - With the introduction of the wireless remote the UI will also be affected. To ensure maximum redundancy, all lights will also have a button mounted to the back of the light. The wireless remote will not allow programming - just operation in the mode that the light has been set. Programming can only occur using the button on the back of the light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-bar-mount-range-motion1.jpg  

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-bar-mount-range-motion2.jpg  

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-bar-mount-range-motion3.jpg  

Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 04-03-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add images

mtbr member
    @Cat-man-do

Wireless Remote - we put the remote on the secondary list while we were working on the other improvements. Although it was a priority, we needed to ensure our product was as robust as possible. The good news is the wireless remote has been tested and works well. The remote itself has great aesthetics and ergonomics - but most importantly function. We are aiming to launch at the beginning of the northern hemisphere fall/winter season.

NW LEDs - we will be offering this in the future direct from our site. However our lights will continue to come standard with Cool White, but at the warmer end of the spectrum. In the meantime you can get the upgrade service through Jim at Action LED Lights.

Mount - We see your point about the mount, however due to the width of the light in relation to the mount, the light will actually strike the mount before the interaction point on the mount. I've attached some images below to illustrate this. The benefit of the QR mount is that it too can be rotated and mounted in any direction to achieve the ideal mount. It does not need to be mounted in the manner pictured. e.g. I mount mine under the bars of my road bike, keeping it out of the way.

UI - With the introduction of the wireless remote the UI will also be affected. To ensure maximum redundancy, all lights will also have a button mounted to the back of the light. The wireless remote will not allow programming - just operation in the mode that the light has been set. Programming can only occur using the button on the back of the light.
    Excellent feedback, thanks
    About the mount ( see below )

Name:  1129972d1491271796t-gloworm-lights-back-mtbr-bar-mount-range-motion3.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  33.8 KB

My concern was that I might not be able to use this mount and still be able to get the lamp head to sit directly in front of the stem. From the photo you provide this could be a problem depending on whether or not you insist on the lamp sitting below the stem. Of course if you flip the bar mount upside down this could or might solve the issue but that remains to be seen. It wasn't mentioned though, "When" the newer mount would be made available ( unless I missed that somewhere ). I'd like to buy one of the mounts now just to use with one of my other Gopro compatible lamps.

I'm really glad to read that when the wireless remote does become available that only the button on the lamp itself will program the lamp...Good show. Going forward; It would of been a great idea to have the wireless stuff available NOW......while all us Yanks have the tax refund money burning a hole in our pockets. No problem for me. If I have no money come fall I'll just have to let the plastic do the paying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey All

Bruce and Vag
    Is the wireless remote going to be something that can be added to a current X2 or will it only work with a new light?

mtbr member
    Will the mount be 35mm bar compatible?

"Superior button feel when using gloves", does this mean there will be noticeable click when depressing the new remote button? Hope so since that would go a long way towards making the "accidental entry to intensity adjustment mode" UI issue a lot easier to live with IMO.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I think it's pretty safe to say that the wireless remotes aren't going to work with any of the older lamps. "Wireless" requires a newer UI and new electronics inside the lamp.

Gloworm Lights
    @cat-man-do: the mounts will be available in the next few weeks.

@artnshel: Unfortunately not. We have a new light called the Alpha coming out in the next few months. It will be up-gradable.

@MRMOLE: You will need to specify what size mount you want. New lights will come with 31.8mm, but the adapter will fit both size bar mounts.

Regards the button click, it is a definite click that can be heard and the new rubber button surround helps with the feel and usability.Here's a quick vid

https://goo.gl/VxLOa3

mtbr member
    Regards the button click, it is a definite click that can be heard and the new rubber button surround helps with the feel and usability.Here's a quick vid https://goo.gl/VxLOa3

You have to be a facebook member to view your video? For shame....

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-faxepjq.png

mtbr member
    Oh..I almost forgot to ask; "Is there going to be a pre-order discount for the wireless remote version"? If so I'll be on that as soon as you say.

edit; Almost forgot to ask this as well; "What's this new Alpha lamp all about"? Preview please!

smartass
    Any updates on the wireless remote or Alpha light?

mtbr member
    We are still developing the cutoff style optic, however there is an after market hood that helps with the dispersion of light. We are aiming to have the new optic ready in a few months and will be retro fittable.

Cheers

Bruce
    Curious if you guys are still working on the cutoff optic for the CX? Seems like there's more consumer interest and a few new products but nobody's got it quite right yet.
    Mole

Gloworm Lights

Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    Any updates on the wireless remote or Alpha light?
    Hey guys, here is a little bit about the Alpha and Wireless.

We're just working throught final production manufacturing of both products - and they're looking sweet.

Exact dates of release to be confirmed within 3-4 weeks.

We'll have some images up soon but for now here are some specifications (prices to be confirmed!):

Alpha
    • 1200 Lumens
    • 2 x XPG3 LEDs
    • Same Optics as CX
    • No Remote BUT upgradable to Wireless
    • Button on back of housing with LED illumination
    • 2 cell battery with no fuel guage (but charge indication)
    • Bar Mount, Helmet Mount
    • Runtime appx 2.5hrs

Wireless
    • Intially available with the X2, XS will be changed next
    • 2 button design
    • Can control two lights from the same remote - independently or together.
    • Good range
    • Simple pairing
    • Scroll up and down through light levels OR cyclical similar to current user interface
    • Button backup on rear of light

smartass
    Nice, thanks.

Is the Alpha intended to be a budget X2?

Action LED Lights

Gloworm Update

I just got off a call with Bruce at Gloworm and have some updates on the coming X2 wireless and Alpha. They are both about to enter production with stock reaching us hopefully by mid October.
    The specs are unchanged from what's listed above.
    They have update the programing to eliminate the biggest complaint many of us have had. No more accidentally entering programing mode. The programing options will still be there but you'll be able to basically lock-in your choices for normal use. The two buttons on the remote will let you control 2 lights or 2 groups of lights. Details to come.
    The helmet mount will now be the GoPro adapter that comes with the current 2017 lights. A quick release will be included and can be used if needed. Bar mounting is unchanged using the side mounted quick release clamp. Of course you'll have the option to use the GoPro mount if you have a GoPro handlebar mount you like.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-x2wireless-2.jpg
    X2 Wireless
    Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-x2wireless-1.jpg

Name:  Alpha-1.png
Views: 1600
Size:  88.5 KB
    Alpha
    Name:  Alpha-2.png
Views: 1600
Size:  67.5 KB

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-x2helmetmount.jpg
    GoPro Style Helmet Mount
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    All this looks nice but I'd like to see what the XS is going to look like. Sadly though it sounds like it won't be available here ( in the States ) until winter begins to poke it's ugly head at us.

About the Alpha; I'm somewhat confused about this lamp. Is this lamp intended for road use? If so is that all-in-one optic designed to provide more of a cut-off beam pattern in mind (?), just wondering.

Once again, I'm assuming that you are still going to be offering the new lamps ( when they arrive ) in a NW white tint as well as the standard cool white..(?) If so can you tell us what emitter is going to be used to retrofit the XS?...( Yeah, I know, I ask the tough questions )

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    All this looks nice but I'd like to see what the XS is going to look like. Sadly though it sounds like it won't be available here ( in the States ) until winter begins to poke it's ugly head at us.

About the Alpha; I'm somewhat confused about this lamp. Is this lamp intended for road use? If so is that all-in-one optic designed to provide more of a cut-off beam pattern in mind (?), just wondering.

Once again, I'm assuming that you are still going to be offering the new lamps ( when they arrive ) in a NW white tint as well as the standard cool white..(?) If so can you tell us what emitter is going to be used to retrofit the XS?...( Yeah, I know, I ask the tough questions )
    There are some interesting changes coming to the XS but I'm not at liberty to say what for now. It will unfortunately be the end of the year before we see them. With a limited staff and budget there's only so much that can happen in one year.
    I can order NW led's in pretty much what ever bin you'd like. What do you consider most desirable?
    The Alpha is intended as a replacement for the X1 and as a lower priced entry level light for any use. There are currently 2 options for the optic. A spot/spot and a spot/wide. It can be helmet or bar mounted.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    They have update the programing to eliminate the biggest complaint many of us have had. No more accidentally entering programing mode.
    Hi Jim,
    Have you got any feed back from people using the new wiring harness upgrade? I ordered a 2017 X2 lighthead and have been very happy with how much better it works. Has a much more positive feel. I've never entered the programming mode accidently with the new lighthead since I can feel what the button is doing all the time. Can't say that with my older GW lights. Liking the extra power the new lighthead has also. Any plans on updating your beam pattern charts to reflect the extra output?
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 09-03-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Action LED Lights
    [QUOTE=MRMOLE;13320222]

Hi Jim,
    Have you got any feed back from people using the new wiring harness upgrade? I ordered a 2017 X2 lighthead and have been very happy with how much better it works. Has a much more positive feel. I've never entered the programming mode accidently with the new lighthead since I can feel what the button is doing all the time. Can't say that with my older GW lights. Liking the extra power the new lighthead has also. Any plans on updating your beam pattern charts to reflect th extra output?
    Mole
    Not much feedback but it's all been good. I consider no news good news.
    If you want me to upgrade your older lights to the new harness send them in.
    I lost the space were I was doing beam testing but I think I've got another lined up so hopefully I can get caught up with testing soon.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    There are some interesting changes coming to the XS but I'm not at liberty to say what for now. It will unfortunately be the end of the year before we see them. With a limited staff and budget there's only so much that can happen in one year.
    I can order NW led's in pretty much what ever bin you'd like. What do you consider most desirable?
    The Alpha is intended as a replacement for the X1 and as a lower priced entry level light for any use. There are currently 2 options for the optic. A spot/spot and a spot/wide. It can be helmet or bar mounted.
    I ask a tough question and you answer with one back. lol...Before I try to answer, when you buy LED's are you buying just the bare emitters and reflowing them in or are you using a star or other platform? Once again, I don't know if you are using XP-L or XM-L2. I would kind of like a NW version of XP-L but I don't want a dedomed XPL HI. Then again if the optic on the lamps are designed for Xm-L2 than I'd rather stay with that and find a good NW version in the 4C tint range. ( If you'd rather answer this in a PM I'm good with that )

Okay, a new question about the new wireless remotes UI. First, I'm really glad to hear that there will be no more accidental program mode issues. Very good. Now, with the new UI when you turn the lamp off how long does it take to turn off. Does it go through the lower modes and then flash off like my current lamps do or does it now just "press hold and instant off". Not a big issue but I'm curious.

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I ask a tough question and you answer with one back. lol...Before I try to answer, when you buy LED's are you buying just the bare emitters and reflowing them in or are you using a star or other platform? Once again, I don't know if you are using XP-L or XM-L2. I would kind of like a NW version of XP-L but I don't want a dedomed XPL HI. Then again if the optic on the lamps are designed for Xm-L2 than I'd rather stay with that and find a good NW version in the 4C tint range. ( If you'd rather answer this in a PM I'm good with that )

Okay, a new question about the new wireless remotes UI. First, I'm really glad to hear that there will be no more accidental program mode issues. Very good. Now, with the new UI when you turn the lamp off how long does it take to turn off. Does it go through the lower modes and then flash off like my current lamps do or does it now just "press hold and instant off". Not a big issue but I'm curious.
    Hey Cat!

We use XML2 and they come already mounted to an aluminum PCB. Our optics are designed for XML2, so we'll keep it that way for now.

Regards the UI, It will be the same without the programming options, unless you choose to turn these options on.

Basically, the user will click to run on the light then click to cycle through the 3 light levels. The user will remain in this cycle until they choose to select the flashing mode (special mode) by holding down the button for appx 2 sec. Or if thy wish to turn the light off, which will require a longer press of abou 4 seconds - the light will move into the special mode, then turn off.

Feel free to ask further questions - we love it!

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]

Feel free to ask further questions - we love it!

Bruce and Vag
    1) How do you turn on the programming mode?

2) Does the UI still have the special mode that is just high/low?

3) How does that wireless remote mount?

4) Curious why you still rate the X2 @ 1500 lumens when the actual output is at least a couple of hundred lumens above that on the 2017 model? I'm assuming it's not production variances since the current draw off the battery is considerably higher than previous models.

Also, "Good Job" on the new remote button! Much better, works great!! Hope the new wireless has the same feel.

Mole

Gloworm Lights
    [QUOTE=MRMOLE;13321275]

1) How do you turn on the programming mode?

2) Does the UI still have the special mode that is just high/low?

3) How does that wireless remote mount?

4) Curious why you still rate the X2 @ 1500 lumens when the actual output is at least a couple of hundred lumens above that on the 2017 model? I'm assuming it's not production variances since the current draw off the battery is considerably higher than previous models.

Also, "Good Job" on the new remote button! Much better, works great!! Hope the new wireless has the same feel.

Mole
    1. From any light level, hold the button down for 15 seconds, the light will turn off, then flash, then turn on again. You have now restarted your light with programming enabled. Now simply go to the light level you want change, then proceed to change the light level like you do with the current UI. When you disconnect the battery and restart the light, it will resatart without programming enabled.

2. Yes it will still have what we call commute mode - 2 light levels and is started using a double click when the light is off.

3. Oring on the bar.

4. Its difficult from a packaging and marketing point of view to just change. The new X2 with wireless will be increased

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi Bruce,
    Will the new X2 be released in NZ at the same time as the US ?
    or will we have to wait till 2018.
    I have had a X1 since they first came out and a 2015 model X2
    both Fantastic lights. My X1 is now used on a headstrap and the X2 as my helmet light with a 2 cell battery. Wireless will be a great added feature.
    Always great to see Kiwi innovation around the world

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Would you recommend pairing the ituo wiz20 on bars with the alpha on helmet. I already have the wiz 20 and am looking for a helmet light.
    Also, What comes with the alpha? Any mounts or batteries. New to this. Sorry if this question has been answered. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Kiwi View Post
    Hi Bruce,
    Will the new X2 be released in NZ at the same time as the US ?
    or will we have to wait till 2018.
    I have had a X1 since they first came out and a 2015 model X2
    both Fantastic lights. My X1 is now used on a headstrap and the X2 as my helmet light with a 2 cell battery. Wireless will be a great added feature.
    Always great to see Kiwi innovation around the world
    Yes the new wireless X2 will be released around the same time Thanks for your support!

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Would you recommend pairing the ituo wiz20 on bars with the alpha on helmet. I already have the wiz 20 and am looking for a helmet light.
    Also, What comes with the alpha? Any mounts or batteries. New to this. Sorry if this question has been answered. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes the Alpha would make an awesome helmet light as it comes with a 2 cell battery which is ideal for helmet mounting. Full description and list of whats included can be found here: 2018 Gloworm Alpha (1200 Lumens) | Glowormlites

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yes the new wireless X2 will be released around the same time Thanks for your support!
    Hi Bruce,
    I have already preordered my 2018 Adventure X2, Looking forward to receiving it next month. Thanks

mtbr member
    any ETA to when the 2018 XS changes will be announced?

Gloworm Lights
    mfa81 - No info yet. We are not planning any changes to the XS at this stage, but we are definitely looking at some options for Feb 2018 and beyond.

Gloworm Lights

New Products

So the new products are rolling out soon and we're excited to say the new lights and updates are looking great.

Some of the main updates are as follows:

New Gloworm Alpha 1200 Lumen - This light has been introduced as a pricepoint model. It will replace the X1 which was a similar size. The Alpha uses the same optic as the CX units. It can also be upgraded to accept a wireless remote.

It is manufactured using cast aluminium instead of CNC machining and the battery has no indication (except that for charging). It will use XPG3 S4 6000K (but can be purchased with 4500k NW LEDs).

User Interface - We have listened to all the feedback on our current UI and made a substatial change. In normal operation the light cannot be programmed. It operates like most lights - a click to turn on then clicks to cycle through light levels. It maintains the two light level mode by starting the light with a double click. The new UI is far more 'snappy' and responsive.

To programme the light, you hold down the button for 15 seconds when the light is on. The light will trun off then turn on again. When it has turned on the user can programme the light in the same way as was done with the older UI. Double click at the light level you want to change, then adjust the light level, then double clcik to save. The light can still be used in this 'programme area'. However, if the user wants to return to the more repsonsive UI they simply need to turn off the light then turn it on again.

A light can only be programmed using the local button (button on the light) not the remote button.

TX Wireless Remote - The wireless remote features some functions that will transform the way you ride using lights. It features 2 buttons. In its most simple form, 1 light can be paired to 1 button.

You can also pair 2 lights to one remote - 1 light per button. Alternatively, you can pair 2 or more lights to 1 button and syncornise the lights. Lastly, if you wish, you can use the buttons to scroll through the light levels (as opposed to cycle). Meaning using the up button to increase light levels and the down to decrease light levels.

A light cannot be programmed using the TX.

NW LEDs - we are in the process of making available an NW LED upgrade option to all our products. The upgrade will cost about $10 and will feature 4500K NW LEDs. This upgrade will be available on new lights via Gloworm or Action LED Lights. An upgrade to current Lights is only avaialble through Action LED Lights.

If there are any questions, as usual, we will answer as swiftly and as accurately as possible.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    QUOTE=Gloworm Manufacture;13379256New Products

So the new products are rolling out soon and we're excited to say the new lights and updates are looking great.

Some of the main updates are as follows:

New Gloworm Alpha 1200 Lumen - This light has been introduced as a pricepoint model. It will replace the X1 which was a similar size. The Alpha uses the same optic as the CX units. It can also be upgraded to accept a wireless remote.

It is manufactured using cast aluminium instead of CNC machining and the battery has no indication (except that for charging). It will use XPG3 S4 6000K (but can be purchased with 4500k NW LEDs).]
    Thanks for the 2018 info. A few more questions so I can educate myself on this light.

1) Standard optic clarification: I've seen the standard optic combo listed as spot/spot and spot/flood and am wondering which is correct?

2) Beam pattern: Since the Alpha uses CX optics and XPG emitters should we expect a similar beam pattern as the CX Urban (just more powerful)?

3) Beam throw: Considering emitter differences how does the lower powered Alpha's beam throw compare to the new X2 (narrowest focused optics in each)?

4) Wireless remote option: Are the lights prewired for this and you only need to purchase the remote button or do some internal modifications have to be made? Is this option available currently for the Alpha and what's the estimated cost of the upgrade?

Mole

Gloworm Lights
    Mey MRMOLE

I've endeavoured to answer your questions below.....If you have any more just fire away!

B

Thanks for the 2018 info. A few more questions so I can educate myself on this light.

1) Standard optic clarification: I've seen the standard optic combo listed as spot/spot and spot/flood and am wondering which is correct?

The light will come with both, but will be fitted with Spot/Flood. We're also looking at introducing the flood/flood soon (a true eliptical style combo)

2) Beam pattern: Since the Alpha uses CX optics and XPG emitters should we expect a similar beam pattern as the CX Urban (just more powerful)?

Thats correct, the CX Urban has a very nice beam and we have seen similar but more powerful with the Alpha. The XPG3 provide a slightly wider beam but doesn't lose out on throw.

3) Beam throw: Considering emitter differences how does the lower powered Alpha's beam throw compare to the new X2 (narrowest focused optics in each)?

The Alpha is definitely not as powerful as the X2, the optics are essentially the same, however the Alpha uses the combined optic and less power. As you are probably aware an XML will always produce a wider beam and XPGs a narrower beam, but with the XPG3 it allows us to get close to the nice beam width of the X2. It probably throws about 75% of the distance of the X2 (roughly)

4) Wireless remote option: Are the lights prewired for this and you only need to purchase the remote button or do some internal modifications have to be made? Is this option available currently for the Alpha and what's the estimated cost of the upgrade?

The Alpha has the same internals as the X2. They are upgradable to wireless without too much trouble. The Upgrade kit is $49 for DIY or you can send your light to Action LED Lights for the upgrade. The kit consists of a Recevier Board and TX Wireless Remote. To replace is as simple as opening the light to get the backplate off, replacing the board on the backplate from the basic 'button' board to the 'receiver board', then closing the light back up.

Mole

mtbr member

Any changes to the CX line?

Curious if any changes were made on the two CX lights?

1) Do the UI programming changes include the CX lights?

2) Does the new CX Urban now have XPG3 emitters and is the "neutral white" option available on both CX lights?

3) Is there a wireless remote option for the CX lights?

If there are other changes I didn't ask about please include them in your reply.

Mole

Gloworm Lights
    Hey MRMOLE

Keep the questions coming!

Curious if any changes were made on the two CX lights?

1) Do the UI programming changes include the CX lights?

Yes, the UI has changed on the new run of CX lights also.

2) Does the new CX Urban now have XPG3 emitters and is the "neutral white" option available on both CX lights?

Yes, XPG3 will be featured on the CX Urban. At this stage we are planning to havea NW upgrade, but that is not 100% confirmed.

3) Is there a wireless remote option for the CX lights?

The CX in its current state is pretty packed full of electronics an batteries, so no room for wireless components too. We do have an option for a wired remote on the CX but not wireless. Although we coudl create a micro USB dongle to allow wireless operation - Now there's an idea!

If there are other changes I didn't ask about please include them in your reply.

Mole
    Here is a link to our instructions page on the website - here you will find new instructions for our lights etc. They have been arranged by Action rather than Lightset - as a lot of our mounts etc are common to all lights.

Gloworm Instructions Web Page

We will be adding more instrcutions every day as shipping of the new lights approaches.

Current Instructions Feature:

Programming
    Basic Instructions
    Transmitter Operation

Following soon are:

Battery Status Indication, Charging and Care
    Mounting Options
    Runtimes Matrix
    Changing Optics

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Will the remote upgrade be available for the XS also?

Gloworm Lights
    We are looking at upgrading the XS to wireless in a similar fashion to the XS, however, this change will not be until the start of next year.

Cheers

mtbr member
    OK, I've jumped in with both feet. I ordered up two of your X2 lightheads: one kit and one standalone light which I'll pair with an existing battery. I really wanted to see more reviews first, but I guess I'll be the "early adopter" on this one. It would help sales of new models if there were some pre-production samples available to reviewers and testers.

The most exciting feature on the 2018 X2 is the wireless remote that can control multiple units. Much more convenient to have one button, and also having it wireless so it can be placed in the most convenient spot. Any idea what the battery life will be like on the remote? And is there any indicator of battery life on the remote?
    "Got everything you need?"

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    OK, I've jumped in with both feet. I ordered up two of your X2 lightheads: one kit and one standalone light which I'll pair with an existing battery. I really wanted to see more reviews first, but I guess I'll be the "early adopter" on this one. It would help sales of new models if there were some pre-production samples available to reviewers and testers.

The most exciting feature on the 2018 X2 is the wireless remote that can control multiple units. Much more convenient to have one button, and also having it wireless so it can be placed in the most convenient spot. Any idea what the battery life will be like on the remote? And is there any indicator of battery life on the remote?
    TwoHeadsBrewing,

First, your order will go out today!!!

As far as battery life for the remote. Maybe Bruce can give a definitive answer, but I expect years. It only draws power from the battery when the button is pressed. So if your bike computer can go a couple of seasons on the same type battery and it's on all the time. I expect long life from the remote.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    I have a battery pack question/idea.

For those of us who use a small pack or just jersey and pocket what are the thoughts to a 'flat' type battery pack instead of the traditional 2x2 pack? I've looked around online for anything that might work but have not had much luck. I'd rather not attempt to build my own pack as i'm pretty sure i'd mess something up.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I have the KD one, works great.

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024761.K...n-Battery-Pack

Looks like HunkLee has one also. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Li-ion-7-4V...S/320920802301

Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    For those of us who use a small pack or just jersey and pocket what are the thoughts to a 'flat' type battery pack instead of the traditional 2x2 pack? I've looked around online for anything that might work but have not had much luck.

mtbr member
    Well hell that was quick - thanks!! I guess my kung-fu search isn't what it should be......

What lights do you use that pack with?

mtbr member
    What lights do you use that pack with?
    XS/X2 Combo from Action LED. The 6th picture on their website front page is me.

mtbr member
    Great - I've been running the X2's since they first came out but have upgraded to dual XS and the X2's are for my daughter

mtbr member
    TwoHeadsBrewing,

First, your order will go out today!!!

As far as battery life for the remote. Maybe Bruce can give a definitive answer, but I expect years. It only draws power from the battery when the button is pressed. So if your bike computer can go a couple of seasons on the same type battery and it's on all the time. I expect long life from the remote.
    Thanks, excited to test them out! And that's good news about the battery too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone knows why the gloworm nz website isn't reachable?
    https://www.glowormlites.co.nz

And why product pages on the us website can't be looked at without login?
    https://www.glowormlites.us/collecti...et-2200-lumens

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by angerdan View Post
    Anyone knows why the gloworm nz website isn't reachable?
    https://www.glowormlites.co.nz

And why product pages on the us website can't be looked at without login?
    https://www.glowormlites.us/collecti...et-2200-lumens
    Angerdan,

The NZ site sometimes times out while trying to load. Just try again later.

The glowormlites.us site is a B2B wholesale only site selling to bike shops. Action LED Lights is your retail source. In most cases we offer or honor the same sales and discounts as the NZ site with free shipping to US addresses for orders over $75
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ...... Action LED Lights is your retail source. In most cases we offer or honor the same sales and discounts as the NZ site with free shipping to US addresses for orders over $75
    Plus, as many on this site can attest to, Action has stellar customer service.

Free shipping to US addresses may not help angerdan as his profile says Germany.

Gloworm Lights
    Any idea what the battery life will be like on the remote? And is there any indicator of battery life on the remote?
    Conservatively we've calculated it to about 15000 clicks. Based on draw of the circuit, battery type and types of button presses - longer presses draw more power.

Example - If you were to night ride twice per week, every week of the year, then you'd be riding 104 rides. If you were to click the button 150 times per ride (not likely) then the remote would only last 1 year.

Realistically, you'll get about 2 years out of one button battery.

We'd also suggest changing the battery after this time to ensure the performance of the remote is maintained.

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for the info! Sounds like plenty of time for each battery, and a 2032 is common and easy to find.

mtbr member
    Very quick shipping, thanks Jim! Received my lights on Friday afternoon...nice surprise for the weekend. I haven't taken them out on the trail yet, but I will on Tuesday night if the weather cooperates. Once I do, I'll post up a more complete review with some pictures and maybe some video from the ride. For now, here are my initial thoughts:

I ordered the X2 kit with 5800mah 4-cell, and then another X2 light head only. I already have quite a few spare batteries that I'll pair with the extra light head. At first look, I'm very impressed with the X2: fully featured kit, solid feel to the light and battery, two different mounting options for the light head (side and bottom), and lots of extras in the box. It comes with a side mount (for the bars), plus a GoPro style helmet mount, and the screws/plate necessary for attaching the GoPro mount to the light head. Also included are a couple of velcro bands, a pack of zip ties, two hex wrenches, the wireless remote, two spare optics (spot and diffused), and of course the battery. It even comes with a nice case for storing the battery and light. Each of the light heads came with one spot and one diffused optic.

Pairing the lights with the wireless remote was simple: plug the light into the battery, hold down the button on the remote you want to pair. The light flashes which indicates it has been paired, and now you can use the light via the remote. Repeat with the other light on the same button, or a different one. I chose to have my helmet light controlled by the top button and the bar light controlled by the bottom button. That way I can adjust the brightness independently for each light. I think it's going to be a great setup, and I can't wait to try it out on the trail.

Speaking of trying it out, I did go for a quick spin around the neighborhood and WOW are these lights bright. The one on the bars throws so much light on the high setting it's actually too much! I think 60-75% power on the bars is plenty. I even swapped out one of the spot optics to run both diffused and it's still a ton of light...just now a little better spread and more evenly lit. That power is really great up on the helmet though; great throw and spread. It reminds me of the Gemini Duo beam pattern but brighter. It throws light just as far as the Ituo XP2 but has better spread and no noticeable spot.

The only negative I'd say at this point is the helmet mount. It's the only part that I feel isn't quite up to par compared to most lights I've used. The plastic base is fairly small, and comes with just zip ties to attach to your helmet. If you have velcro straps, you could use those...but the kit only comes with one strap that will fit. Would love to see two of the thinner straps that would fit the mount. But even with those straps, the plastic base is too small to support the light well, at least on my helmet. I'd like to see a wider mount with included velcro straps, something like the Ituo XP2 mount. It's the most stable and easy to set up that I've ever used. But all in all, it's an OK mount and you can purchase other mounts for <$15.

Instead of this:

Something like this (wider, more stable, velcro included):

mtbr member
    I ditched the velcro/ziptie option and went for the GoPro 3m sticky mount option on my helmets and it works very well and doesn't move.

Sorry - only picture i had handy.

Name:  light mount.JPG
Views: 656
Size:  27.3 KB

Gloworm Lights
    Very quick shipping, thanks Jim! Received my lights on Friday afternoon...nice surprise for the weekend. I haven't taken them out on the trail yet, but I will on Tuesday night if the weather cooperates. Once I do, I'll post up a more complete review with some pictures and maybe some video from the ride. For now, here are my initial thoughts:

I ordered the X2 kit with 5800mah 4-cell, and then another X2 light head only. I already have quite a few spare batteries that I'll pair with the extra light head. At first look I'm very impressed..........
    Hey TwoTwoHeadsBrewing

Thanks for the quick review on the kit. It's awesome to see some new products already out there!

We understand what you mean regards the helmet mount. It's one of the most difficult things to design as every helmet is different. Some have a centre channel and others a centre ridge, some none at all. But its definitely something we'll look at making some adjustments to. Also, you should have received 2 velcro elastic straps, one for the helmet and one for the battery?

Looking forward to the next part of your feedback - we love this stuff!!

Bruce and Vag!

mtbr member
    @Gloworm: I totally get what you mean about designing for every helmet. Mine actually does have a slight center channel, and I think that's why it's not very secure. I think I'll try NitroRCEd's suggestion with the 3M sticky mount. And yes, I did receive two straps, but again I think with my specific helmet the strap isn't quite long enough. I'll take a look when I do a more thorough review and take some pictures.

mtbr member
    they have those mounts that are flat and some with a slight curve to them - i find for the helmets we have the one with the slight curve works the best. I've put these mounts on about 6 helmets between mine and my two girls and so far so good.

On my setup i'm running the XS on the helmet and no problems.

Enjoy the lights!

Action LED Lights
    they have those mounts that are flat and some with a slight curve to them - i find for the helmets we have the one with the slight curve works the best. I've put these mounts on about 6 helmets between mine and my two girls and so far so good.

On my setup i'm running the XS on the helmet and no problems.

Enjoy the lights!
    NitroRC Ed,

I assume you mean these.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...iant=964628676
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    NitroRC Ed,

I assume you mean these.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...iant=964628676
    Roger that

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If the helmet has a spot for it, the GoPro adhesive mount is excellent. I'd advise finding one that uses genuine 3M VHB adhesive pad like shown in the linked mount in post 84. I've had a couple customers report failures with no-name adhesives after use in wet and cold conditions. Cleanliness is important in getting the best adhesion regardless of the brand of adhesive.

Gloworm Lights
    Hi All

We've just noticed a very small error in our instructions that are shipped with the new lights.

When pairing a light to a remote, you have 15 seconds from the time a battery is connected to make the pair. If this time is exceeded, the pairing function will be turned off. To reestablsh the pair function, the battery must be disconnected then reconnected.

A quick sorry to everyone who has already experienced this.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Are you guys matching the gloworm europe 20% off presale offer?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/gloworme...=page_internal

Angerdan,

The NZ site sometimes times out while trying to load. Just try again later.

The glowormlites.us site is a B2B wholesale only site selling to bike shops. Action LED Lights is your retail source. In most cases we offer or honor the same sales and discounts as the NZ site with free shipping to US addresses for orders over $75

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Gloworm Question

Hi All

We've just noticed a very small error in our instructions that are shipped with the new lights.

When pairing a light to a remote, you have 15 seconds from the time a battery is connected to make the pair. If this time is exceeded, the pairing function will be turned off. To reestablsh the pair function, the battery must be disconnected then reconnected.

A quick sorry to everyone who has already experienced this.....
    Hi Gloworm- I just received the 2018 X2. Really like the light, remote, and battery. According to your literature the set should have Spare optics (Wide Angle/Spot) What comes with the set is a spare Spot and Flood. The light has a Spot and Flood also installed. Is that a packaging error? As I am using this for a bar mount now it looks like I will have to order and pay shipping for a Wide Angle optic that should have been included based upon the literature. Could you please comment?

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_MTB_22 View Post
    Hi Gloworm- I just received the 2018 X2. Really like the light, remote, and battery. According to your literature the set should have Spare optics (Wide Angle/Spot) What comes with the set is a spare Spot and Flood. The light has a Spot and Flood also installed. Is that a packaging error? As I am using this for a bar mount now it looks like I will have to order and pay shipping for a Wide Angle optic that should have been included based upon the literature. Could you please comment?

Hey Steve

You won't be paying for anything extra -

We'll get the wide angle out to you as soon as we can.

Please email support@glowormlites.co.nz and we'll get it out to you right away.

Apologies for the small error.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    [QUOTE=Gloworm Manufacture;13409221]Hey Steve

You won't be paying for anything extra

Wow that was easy. Will do and thank you. Looking forward to when the 2018 XS comes out to go with this X2!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_MTB_22 View Post

can anyone educate me on flood vs wide angle for handlebar? Seems from the description the flood is not much different than the spot

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    can anyone educate me on flood vs wide angle for handlebar? Seems from the description the flood is not much different than the spot
    Hey mfa81

The flood could also be described as a diffuser optic, its face is frosted. This takes the light and softens it somewhat, it also helps to spread the light more evenly across the light beam. It also lesssens the intensity by appx 30%.

The wide angle is a semi elliptical optic. The beam pattern when used alone is rectangular, but not a long skinny rectangle. More like a 1:2.5 ratio. When used with a spot optic it really helps with peripheral light without wasting light up and down.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    Hey mfa81

The flood could also be described as a diffuser optic, its face is frosted. This takes the light and softens it somewhat, it also helps to spread the light more evenly across the light beam. It also lesssens the intensity by appx 30%.
    Does the flood optic widen the beam any? I've definitely noticed the approx. 30% drop in intensity but always replace the floods with a spot or a wide angle if a wider beam is desired.

The wide angle is a semi elliptical optic. The beam pattern when used alone is rectangular, but not a long skinny rectangle. More like a 1:2.5 ratio. When used with a spot optic it really helps with peripheral light without wasting light up and down.
    Love this optic!!! Age and retina surgeries have increased my glare sensitivity and this optic allows me to widen my lights beam when desired without flooding the foreground with light like a traditional symmetrical wide angle would. Also retains more intensity compared to a symmetrical wide angle optic because it only widens the beam where needed. Good job on this one guys (your spot is awesome too).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    [QUOTE=Steve_MTB_22;13409574]
    Hey Steve

You won't be paying for anything extra

Wow that was easy. Will do and thank you. Looking forward to when the 2018 XS comes out to go with this X2!
    Got it yesterday and will run it tonight. Will comment back. Thanks

mtbr member
    Hey mfa81

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Very interesting. Since I've had the Raveman PR-1200 I've come to appreciate a lamp that can provide a wide spread of light without losing too much throw. I have one of the older GW X2's on the bars that I use with one of the GW standard frosted floods and one spot optic. I've been using that for years and have been happy but if I can dial-up the beam pattern to get some more side light up close that would certainly be something I'd be interested in. Extra side light comes in handy when riding twisty/wide/technical trails, especially in the fall/winter when there tends to be less trail side foliage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dumb question time! Is there another thread that discusses the Alpha or is this the best place? I think the price on the Alpha is great. Now the X2 seems like too much light and too much money to me. Anyone have any real world feedback on the Alpha? Any downsides to a 2 x Alpha setup?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Dumb question time! Is there another thread that discusses the Alpha or is this the best place? I think the price on the Alpha is great. Now the X2 seems like too much light and too much money to me. Anyone have any real world feedback on the Alpha? Any downsides to a 2 x Alpha setup?
    Since the Alpha won't be shipping for about another week there are no reviews yet. I'm sure there will be as soon as it's in the hands of some users.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Magically Delicious
    I understand the "too much money" part, but can you really have "too much light"?

I want all the light my budget can afford, then some more.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by str8dum View Post
    Are you guys matching the gloworm europe 20% off presale offer?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/gloworme...=page_internal
    Since the 2018 X2 is now shipping there is no longer a Pre-sale offer for us or them.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast