Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

geoman updates his recall info

i checked his website a few minutes ago and notice he has explained the problem with the batteries in more detail

# What are the issues with the batteries?
    We have received three reports of the original Magicshine MJ-808/MJ-818 battery pack (i.e., the one that is shrink-wrapped and enclosed in a nylon-velcro sleeve) overheating and causing fires. The fires have resulted in some property damage, but thankfully none of the reported incidents involved any personal injuries. Although we have not received any reports of overheating or fires associated with the Magicshine battery pack that is enclosed in a metal container inserted into a fabric sleeve (included with MJ-816 lightsets and more recent MJ-808 lightsets), we have the same safety concerns about the battery packs in the metal containers. Our engineering consultants have determined that these two Magicshine battery packs raise potential safety and reliability concerns (e.g., the inclusion of different lithium-ion cell models within the same battery pack).

# Which battery packs are included in the recall?
    All of the Magicshine battery packs that Geomangear sold between June 2009 and November 2010, including all battery packs sold with the MJ-808 and MJ-816 headlight sets and the MJ-818 taillight sets, are included in the recall. The MJ-808 and MJ-818 batteries are either shrink-wrapped and enclosed in a nylon-velcro case or enclosed in a metal canister inserted into a fabric sleeve. The MJ-816 batteries are all enclosed in the metal canister inserted into a fabric sleeve. Geomangear has not sold any of Magicshine's newest battery packs that are enclosed in a hard plastic case, and our engineers have not evaluated those new Magicshine battery packs that other retailers may be offering for sale. Thus, the newest Magicshine battery packs in the hard plastic case are not included in our recall.

# What should I do with my battery now?
    If your battery has been discharged, we recommend that you store it outside in a safe, protected place away from combustible materials (e.g., on concrete). If your battery has been charged recently, we recommend that you connect your battery pack to the light/torch and operate the light until the battery has discharged its power. It is important that you stay close by to monitor the lightset while you are discharging the battery. After you have discharged the battery, store the battery outside in a safe, protected place away from combustible materials. Your recall notice will give more information about the return or disposal of the battery.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Good update, thanks.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    #1 - thanks to geoman for being a responsible retailer
    #2 - I discharged my battery today by taking it on a ride :P
    "It looks flexy"

www.hahntronix.com
    Given that older Magicshines have no thermal protection, you might want to have a fan blowing air across the light while discharging your battery. Or you could always go for a ride as gticlay did .

In some tests I ran on early Magicshine models, the case of the light would heat up to close to 90 degrees C. I shudder to think how hot the LED got, given the poor thermal path between LED and the case.

I wonder how Geoman is going to collect these? Send a bomb disposal truck around the country? With Lithium Polymer batteries the recommended way of disposing of them is to discharge them as low as you can in your equipment and then dunk them in a bucket of salt water. But I'm not sure that would work right with the Magicshine batteries given they have a protection PCB built in and LiPoly batteries have nothing but raw cells.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    So any idea on when the recall is going to happen?

GeoMan
    Thanks for posting the recall info update fellas, we are following through on the replacement battery and expediting the recall process wherever we can. As soon as we have more info we will get it on the Recall page http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=recall

Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    So any idea on when the recall is going to happen?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    any word on the newer style battery packs enclosed in the aluminum extrusion with the voltage display?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Another update - Sounds like we're getting closer to a replacement battery pack.

email inquiry to Geoman - "Is there yet a replacement battery recommendation for the MagicShine light?"

Response by Geoman:

We are now in the testing phase of the new battery manufacturing. If all goes well and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission approves the replacement battery, we will be able to start production soon. It's going to be a really nice battery and a dramatic improvement over the current battery pack in terms of quality and performance.

We have just submitted our recall plan to the CPSC. Once they approve the plan, we will be able to start sending recall notices (by both email and postal mail).

Please check our Recall webpage regularily for updates:
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=recall

Thanks,
    Geoman

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Still discharging my lights couple times a week.

Chunky Monkey

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by RBrady
    Thx,

John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrady
    me too.....at least once per week whether it needs it or not :-)

~Disc~Golf~
    Any more info?
    I'm (we are) now into DST and no longer need lights for commute -
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    thanks for the spam
    Honestly... ahh I give up

GeoMan
    We are right on track according to the Timeline that we published on our site.

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...age=page&id=19

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Any more info?
    I'm (we are) now into DST and no longer need lights for commute -
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN

Any chance of getting the replacement batteries soon? We have a 12hr race May 21 that I'd like to have lights for.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Yes, but there is no ETA listed for when we're going to receive your e-mail or a new battery. What are the expected dates for these pending steps?
    • Receive approval from CPSC for our recall plan.
    • Contract with Recall administration company. Setup recall process to comply with CPSC.
    • Send out recall notices.
    • Receive replacement battery packs (expecting first shipment end of April)
    • Send out replacement battery packs in phases. Our engineering consultant has determined that the oldest battery packs pose the greatest safety risk, so those will be replaced first.

GeoMan
    The dates are based on CPSC approval of the final stages of the plan, once we have that we can send out the recall notices

Quote Originally Posted by shuffles
    Yes, but there is no ETA listed for when we're going to receive your e-mail or a new battery. What are the expected dates for these pending steps?
    • Receive approval from CPSC for our recall plan.
    • Contract with Recall administration company. Setup recall process to comply with CPSC.
    • Send out recall notices.
    • Receive replacement battery packs (expecting first shipment end of April)
    • Send out replacement battery packs in phases. Our engineering consultant has determined that the oldest battery packs pose the greatest safety risk, so those will be replaced first.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

I love how all the checks that are complete have the specific dates, but all the future ones just say 'pending.'

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's my point. I think Geoman is working in good faith, but when he says "We are right on track according to the Timeline that we published on our site" the fact is that there is no timeline posted, except for tasks that are already complete. We need dates for the next steps as well, even if they are best guesses.

Its got what plants crave
    By the time we get new batteries these lights will be antiquated, LOL. It will be like showing up to tomorrows trailride rocking a Niterider Trailrat 10 watt halogen with a NIMH battery pack.

I realize the recall process is slow and there are lots of legal hoops to jump through, and that we aren't really owed a damn thing however. Hopefully they will arrive in time for the next night riding season after summer is over. If not, I still got my 100 dollars worth, and I can pretty easily buy a fresh new battery pack. We all basically got what we expected, didn't we?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It is easy to stay on a timeline that is created after the fact. Geoman has a history of underestimating timelines on launches so this is no surprise.

Chunky Monkey

Whine And Cheese

I know I'm going to regret this post......

All I hear is"WAH, WAH, WAH".

Thx
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am back to using the
    M/S I can not wate any more
    More It's been five months and still waiting I have been charging the battery's in the house
    I know what the recall said but I am not wating any more and will just
    Use the hell out of these lights

Its got what plants crave
    I can't believe you've been waiting to begin with, I never quit using any of mine.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I can't believe you've been waiting to begin with, I never quit using any of mine.
    +1 I am so glad Geoman is recalling these POS batteries I already have 2 out of 6 of the newer style batteries gone to sh*t and didn't work at all after a couple of months..
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast