Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Diagnosed with MTB.

Gemini XERA LED Flashlight

The XERA LED Flashlight has landed. 800 Lumens. Bar and helmet mountable.

Featuring:
    Tool free mount system.
    2 x Interchangeable Optics (Standard 16 and Spot 14 Optics). 1 x XERA Reflector (Wide + 12 Spot).
    Same programmability as all our Gemini Lights. Adjust to 10-100% brightness.
    4 Modes - Low/Med/High/Flash. (All programmable)
    Panasonic 3100mAh High Capacity Lithium Ion Battery.
    Completely waterproof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This is interesting. How much for the light? and where is the power button?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Interesting. How about listing a price, run time(s) and updating the website so it can be purchased. Pics of it mounted on both bars and helmet would be helpful too. BTW, I think the xera is an incredible light. Would love to buy the 14 degree optic or reflector but don't see it on the website.

just a Newbie
    I like. It is rare to find a flashlight that offers different reflector and UI brightness setting. Not much flashlight out in the market has both features.

What is the approximate dimension, and weight? It it still 3 modes with a strobe?

mtbr member
    That's SWEET.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Must,,,,,,,,,,Have,,,,,,,,One!!!!!!!! More info Please.

Diagnosed with MTB.
    The Gemini website is due for an update very, very soon. The new flashlight and spot optics will be available on there as soon as it launches. ETA: 1 week.

The flashlight dimensions are 130mm long, 33.8mm diameter at the thickest point, 24.3mm diameter along the thinnest handle.

Weight 160g with battery installed, 120g flashlight only.

Here is one more pic to give you a sense of size. Our hard anodized ones were swiped off my desk so I could only grab this one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ETA only a week away, can you disclose pricing?? Pre-Order pricing? 14 degree optic will make it a great torch as well. Guessing it has a clicky switch at the end just like the Xera? Or on the side?

mtbr member
    @Gemini: Looks nice. I'd like to know more about the programmable menu. I'm going to assume the battery is user replaceable ( without too much fuss ).
    If all the steady modes are programmable you will have a big winner with this torch. I also assume it's been tested and has a decent IP rating. Can you tell us how hard the emitter is being driven on maximum output?
    Please tell me the flash is not on the same menu with the 3 steady modes.
    It will be a big plus if you also sell extra Panasonic 3100mAh cells.
    How will these batteries be charged?....USB or separate charger?

Now as nice as these look I doubt that I'll buy one ( as I have so many now ) BUT...that of course depends on the price. If the price is good, I won't be able to resist.

Edit: OH! Almost forgot. It would be a good idea if the torch "Doesn't" include any low battery indicator or flash stuff like the Xera. I say that because with just one battery being used it would be a total PITA. I had a torch with indicators and it completely sucked. Just IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If it's USB chargeable - it has it all!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The price is going to be a problem as this light has to compete with millions of cheep flashlights from china!

mountain biker
    Looks like a good option for this time of year when you start your after-work rides in the day-light, but might finish in the dark... Maybe I'm getting spoiled and picky now, but I find it a pain to stash my battery, cable and light in my camelbak... This would be so clean and simple.

Could it be mounted on a helmet?

What about overheating? does it need continuous airflow, or can it be used stationary (e.g. in a basement while working on stuff, or under the hood of your car etc...) like a traditional flashlight?
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrradlos View Post
    The price is going to be a problem as this light has to compete with millions of cheep flashlights from china!
    Well first off we don't know what he price is yet but yes there will be competition. Since this light is also made in China hopefully it too will be priced within reason.

While I suppose you could say that it will have to compete against other torches made in China it needs to be highlighted that THIS TORCH will have many features that other torches don't have. This torch will have a choice of optic/reflector set-up and will have a user programmable menu if what Gemini has said before is true. You also have to factor in the service issue when deciding value/cost. If your basic Chinese run-of-the-mill torch goes bad you just spend another $20 and get another or buy another replacement drop-in if that type.

Rather I would consider the most competition to come from other "commuter style self contained " bike lights. Since most of those are far from cheap I'm hoping Gemini prices their torch somewhere sub $100.

In the mean time I have a nice 3-mode ( H-M-L ) XM-L ( non-dropin )torch with decent throw that outputs about 550 lumen on high. It makes a fine commuter type lamp. It cost me maybe $35 not including batteries and charger. Like slyfink alluded to, torches come in real handy when doing rides where you know you will only need light to finish up a ride or for shorter rides. ( keeping in mind you can always carry as many spare batteries as needed. )

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    @Gemini: Looks nice. I'd like to know more about the programmable menu. I'm going to assume the battery is user replaceable ( without too much fuss ).
    If all the steady modes are programmable you will have a big winner with this torch. I also assume it's been tested and has a decent IP rating. Can you tell us how hard the emitter is being driven on maximum output?
    Please tell me the flash is not on the same menu with the 3 steady modes.
    It will be a big plus if you also sell extra Panasonic 3100mAh cells.
    How will these batteries be charged?....USB or separate charger?

Now as nice as these look I doubt that I'll buy one ( as I have so many now ) BUT...that of course depends on the price. If the price is good, I won't be able to resist.

Edit: OH! Almost forgot. It would be a good idea if the torch "Doesn't" include any low battery indicator or flash stuff like the Xera. I say that because with just one battery being used it would be a total PITA. I had a torch with indicators and it completely sucked. Just IMO.
    I'll give you what I know at this point.
    Programming will be the same as the Xera or Olympia. The 3 steady modes are in the normal pattern. (low-med-hi-low----) Off is reached by holding in the button for 1 second from any mode. Flash is reached by holding in the button for 1 second from off. You can program the brightness of each setting (even flash) by entering the mode you wish to change and holding in the button for 3 seconds to enter programing. The light will drop to 10% and then each button push will move the brightness up 10%. (10-20-30-40- etc.) When you have reached the brightness you want for that mode, just hold the button in for 3 seconds again to exit programming and save the setting.

The battery is easily replaceable like the average torch/flashlight, just unscrew the end cap. Extra batteries will be available and the light will come with a 2 place charger. Batteries are removed from the light for charging.

What you haven't seen from the pictures is the mount. It is easily installed or removed from the light by means of a thumb wheel screw and threaded hole on the side of the light. So if you want to use it as a flashlight you can quickly detach the mount. It attaches to the bar using the same O-rings as the other Gemini lights.

That what I know so far as I haven't had one in my hands just yet. They should be available in a couple of weeks.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Looks like a good option for this time of year when you start your after-work rides in the day-light, but might finish in the dark... Maybe I'm getting spoiled and picky now, but I find it a pain to stash my battery, cable and light in my camelbak... This would be so clean and simple.

Could it be mounted on a helmet?

What about overheating? does it need continuous airflow, or can it be used stationary (e.g. in a basement while working on stuff, or under the hood of your car etc...) like a traditional flashlight?
    Yes, the light will fit the standard helmet mount though you may need to put it more on the top of your helmet.

As far as using it as a flashlight in the basement or under the car, you wouldn't want 100% brightness in that type of use anyway so overheat shouldn't be an issue.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    The JET lights version of this goes for $179, which is way too expensive to sell well.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    The JET lights version of this goes for $179, which is way too expensive to sell well.
    Yep, I was looking at that last night. To be honest, I don't know how JET expects to actually sell these for that price. It is WAY over the top.

More realistic is the Zebralight SC600. Sells for about $95 and has a varied mult-menu. No I don't own one. I wanted one last year but found the asking price ( then lower ) too high. Hard to justify buying a product when you know a comparable product can be bought at a third of the cost. While the SC600 is nice it didn't have everything I was looking for in a torch. If I didn't know any better I would swear the $179 being asked by Jett is a typing error in the ad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Lights View Post
    The Gemini website is due for an update very, very soon. The new flashlight and spot optics will be available on there as soon as it launches. ETA: 1 week.
    Any updates on this?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Any updates on this?
    The spot optic should be available at the end of next week.
    The flashlight/bikelight in 2-3 weeks. (The drivers weren't quite as good as Gemini wanted them to be so there is a slight delay)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks Jim for the prompt reply. Will keep my eyes peeled.

mtbr member
    Deleted by poster
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-08-2012 at 04:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Deleted by poster
    last post deleted because of disappointment/sticker shock....

Light freak

What is the matter, they did not want to give it to you for free?

C'mon on kittyman, what was the price that was so shocking?

mtbr member
    My former post came off as a ringing endorsement. Last night I found out there were major changes to the finished product over what was previously mentioned by Gemini. The price was about $60 more than I would have thought considering the changes to the product.

Since Gemini was nice enough to inform me of the changes I'll not say more till Gemini releases their info on the website. I'm sure it will work fine and please the people willing to pony up the cash. Oh and BTW I never ask for anything free.
    Lately I've seen prices going up on stuff and I see that as a bad trend...consumer wise.

Anyway, I try to be nice even when I'm disappointed....you know how to be nice don't you Scar?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    The spot optic should be available at the end of next week.
    The flashlight/bikelight in 2-3 weeks. (The drivers weren't quite as good as Gemini wanted them to be so there is a slight delay)
    Any developments as of late? Still nothing on the website.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast