I should be studying...

Gemini vs. "higher" quality lights (A-51 & Stryker Pro)

I've been following the threads on the Gemini Titan and the skepticism it faces because of it's similarity to MS. I was considering the Jet lites A-51 and Baja Stryker pro and now the Gemini seems very tempting(the no return policy thing is kinda sketchy sounding to me though). I primarily ride tight single track so only use a helmet mount. Can anyone comment on the differences in performance? Both the A-51 and Baja are rated at 700 lumens where the Titan is rated to 900. Has anyone been able to compare these directly?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi iceax, I myself just purchased the Titan and compared to my Magic Shine it is definatly brighter and has an over all whiter coulor rendition. It also has longer run times than the others your considering.
    In terms of brightnes the MS was measured at 37lux the Titan been brighter i'm guessing here is well into the 40+ lux range so is easily as bright as the others your considering.
    The battery cells have been disected by a member here and so far have passed the test,backing up Gemini's claim of higher quality cells been used.They will have a waterproof hard battery very soon as well.
    The A-51 is a very good choice as well,high quality and good company reputation. I think the $199 doesn't include everything you will need for a helmet set up so if you go for it check and make sure.
    I wouldn't at this point recomend the Stryker Pro.My reason is a 40lux light costing $349 isn't your best option out there. However, if you were going for a bar light the Stryker at 52lux would be a good choice.
    Have you concidered the Lupine Piko?? At a measured 45lux, is brighter than the three were discussing and two times smaller in size and weight.And of the highest quality in the market. Trust me, you would love this little helmet light.Only thing i should mention however is if it is going to be your only light,it does have a more narrow beam pattern than a P-7 lamp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    From what has been posted here and in the light shootout, the measured lux for the claimed 700 lumen lights is:
    A-51 40lux
    Strykr 52lux
    Strykr Pro 40 lux

No mtbr review of the Gemini yet, but posters here have said it has a better beam and whiter color than the MS, which was tested at 37 lux, so YMMV. Gemini does look promising for the price, but so does Baja Strykr with the trade in program ($200). I am very happy with mine, and I have heard great things about the A-51.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lux and Lumen are different measurements. Lux is light on a small area. Lumen is total light output. A tightly focused low lumen light will post higher Lux values than a high Lumen flood light. Neither number on it's own is a good indicator of how the light will perform for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    Lux and Lumen are different measurements. Lux is light on a small area. Lumen is total light output. A tightly focused low lumen light will post higher Lux values than a high Lumen flood light. Neither number on it's own is a good indicator of how the light will perform for you.
    Vancbiker is correct, Lux and Lumen rating have their draw backs, neither take into account the beam pattern - which can come down to personal preference and whether the light is place placed on the handlebar or helmet. I personally like a spot on my helmet and a wide on the bars.

One thing to take into consideration may be the warranty/parts availability on the lights you are thinking about purchasing. Ours have a lifetime warranty on the light head/electronics, two years on the battery, and we always have spare/accessory parts on hand right here in San Diego. We also attend most good sized 12/24hr races, so you'll have support at those events if that is your thing. I'm not sure what the Jet's warranty is but I can tell you that it is a nice little light. I have used it myself, pretty cool system and a good company. (I like our Strykr/Strykr Pro better but I am probably a little biased.)

We also have the Trade-Up Program that would bring a Strykr to $198.95 and a Strykr Pro to $244.95, if that would be something you may want to do email me at Shannon@BajaDesigns.com and I'll send out the form.

Good luck in your hunt!

Shannon

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    This is true as many just aim their lights at a lux meter, thus the more narrow concentrated beam even with less lumens will record higher lux readings.Francios has done his best to mimic a sphere,aiming the lights indirectly at the ceiling to diversify the outputs and then take his measurments from there. Those are the lux measurments been refured to.

But the true test is in person as beam pattern is so important. Clearly two lights with exact lumen outputs will not look the same in brightness if #1, one has a narrow beam vs, a wide beam, the narrower will appear brighter. #2, coulor rendition can also play a role in how bright a claimed light output seams to one's eye.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The ceiling bounce that Francois does still seems to me that it will show higher results with a spot versus flood at the same "true" lumen output.

In the end the message from myself, Baja, and indebt is, don't make a purchase decision on numbers alone. Odds are good that you'll not get the light you thought you wanted. Just like buying a bike, you really should sample the variety out there before laying down the cash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Jetlite does come with a really nice helmet mount for $199.00. The battery has a waterproof case. It is a high quality product made in the US. It has a nice beam somewhere between a spot and a flood. I am very happy with mine...
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

mtbr member
    I do singletrack at night with just a Jetlites A51 on a helmet mount and I'm very happy with it. Gives me plenty of light for rough technical single track. The beam seems to be a good compromise between spot and flood. Good center beam with plenty of outer beam to see what's around you.

Their service and customer support is outstanding too. They've gone well out of their way to make sure I was happy with an issue I had with them. Well above and beyond what was called for.

mtbr member
    Francios does an awesome job with his tests I think. They're great as a side by side comparison of the various lights and arguably the best light comparison test(s) I have ever seen in 11 years in the bike light industry. (does that really count as an "industry"?)

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Hello,

@betweenrides
    We are waiting for the review on Gemini Titan. I am sure that Francois is working on it and it will be available soon.

In the meantime you can also check here:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-with-beamshot
    and also here:
    Gemini Titan Light review

You can find beamshot comparisons with MS

By the way, the Gemini Titan is covered by one year warranty.

Whatever is your decision Iceaxe I hope you will enjoy your night rides.

On Behalf of the Gemini Team,
    Vag

P.s.: Soon some great news are coming from Gemini

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've owned a Nova Bike Lights MS since Nov 10.

It's brighter than my '09 Geoman MS.

I've read the Gemini reviews, and concluded it's essentially the same light as the Nova with a nearly 4hr battery vs 3, at a price of 130 vs 97 for USA buyers.

The Gemini has a 12 month warranty, nova has 6. For what thats worth - many warranties seem to eventually be worhtless.

Good luck findind a MS type light that actually lasts a year - they all seem to be pretty cheap to me, and not really as good a deal as my old Marwi MR11 burners.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    On the Lux vs Lumen discussion, you also need to be careful of the instrument you use to measure your data as lux meters are typically 99% of the time are NOT calibrated for LEDs so their measurements are highly inaccurate (often by 30-40%).

They way to do it, really, is to use a spectroradiometer. I'm getting one pretty soon and plan on running the MS and Gemini (and some other lights) through a battery of tests.

Also, like someone mentioned Lumen measurements tell you the total photos where as lux is lumens over an area.

I have a plan for how to give some idea of the beam pattern using lux measurements, but I'll save all that until I actually have it all put together.