Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gemini Titan P7

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Gemini Titan P7

Looking to get my first legit light system as my new bike is on its way. I am on a budget and stumbled across these Titans on closeout. Link posted below.

Action-LED-Lights — Gemini Titan - lightweight and powerful LED light for bike, running, skiing, or anywhere hands free lighting is needed

Anyone use these? I'm thinking one on the bars and one on the bucket. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I suggest getting the xm-l version for 15 bucks more on sale from the same website.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Of the single bulb lights I own (P-7 808, XML 808e, P-7 Titan,XML Xera) there's not that much difference between them in total light output with the exception of the P-7 808 (Noticeable less output). Where their different is beam patterns, run times, and ajustability. I purchased a Titan for the battery and charger, but have been suprised how well the lighthead compares to the XLM lights. That being said and considering Action's current discounts (20% off Magicshire and Gemini - except the Titan closeout),
    here's a few of my recommended packages with pros and cons).

1) - (2) Titans + (1) wide angle lens + helmet mount: $150 + 4 + 4 = approx $158 + shipping. Pros - Best battery & runtime (4 Hours) Cons - least power

2) - (2) 808e's + (1) wide angle lens + helmet mount: $136 + 4 + 4 = approx 144 + shipping. Pros - Slightly more power and less money. Cons - Small capicity battery w/less runtime (3hrs).

3) - (1) Magicshire 816 + (1) 808e + helmet mount: $83 + 68 + 4 = approx. $155 + shipping. Pros - Considerably more light at the bars. Cons - Same smaller battery and even shorter runtime + more weight on the bars.

4) - (1) Magicshine 872 + (1) 808e + helmet mount: $100 + 68 + 4 = approx $172 + shipping. Pros - Even more light at the bar, smallest - lightest light. Cons - same smaller battery and even shorter runtime (2.2 hr claimed), 872 runs hot and is not the best light for warmer climates, most money. I consider this the best bang for the buck for light output but if runtime is more important than you can't beat the Gemini.

I added in the wide angle lens for the combos that used a single bulb light for the bars because it makes a much better bar light this way and is only $4. I also applied the current discounts (Codes on Actions home page). Of course they have even better lights but I tried to keep the combos close to the price range of the Titan you inquired about. I've nothing but positive experences dealing with Action and if you have any questions they'll get back to you quickly with an answer. Hope this helps.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    MRMOLE.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm new to all of this and similar to the op, I'm trying to keep to a budget. I'm looking to spend $150-225 for both a bar light and a helmet light.

I will be mostly riding on a bike trail that goes through quite a bit of forest preserves and also on the street to get to the trail. I'll probably be riding about 2 hours and at most 3 hours at night on rare occasions (at least for now)

I was looking at the following lights

MJ-808E
    MJ-816
    MJ-872
    Titan XM-L

And depending on the combination, I may need to choose the larger battery pack or get the Action wide angle lens.

Any suggestions on combination of lights and accessories that would fit my chosen budget
    Last edited by ronf119; 07-13-2012 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here's some of the combinations I was thinking

(2) MJ-808E with 1 wide angle lens = $76.80 (with helmet and head strap) + $68 + 3.95 = $148.75
    (2) Titan XM-L with 1 wide angle lens - (is the cost difference over the MJ-808E worth it for a larger battery pack) = $104x2 + 3.95 = 211.95
    (1) MJ-808E and (1) MJ872 with 6600mAH = $76.80 + 120 = 196.80
    (1) MJ-808E and (1) MJ816 with 6600mAH = $76.80+ 111.2 = $188
    (1) Titan XM-L and (1) MJ872 with 6600mAH = $104 + 120 = $224
    (1) Titan XM-L and (1) MJ816 with 6600mAH = $104 + 112.2 = $216.20
    Last edited by ronf119; 07-13-2012 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ronf119 View Post

(2) MJ-808E with 1 wide angle lens = $76.80 (with helmet and head strap) + $68 + 3.95 = $148.75
    (2) Titan XM-L with 1 wide angle lens - (is the cost difference over the MJ-808E worth it for a larger battery pack) = $104x2 + 3.95 = 211.95
    After proofreading your combinations you get an "A" for adding a wide angle lens or larger battery exactly where I would have. The xml Titan should run over 4 hours on it's battery and could possibly make more power than the MS808e (my P7 Titan makes more power than my P7 808 but no guarantees that will be the case with the xml versions). Whether this is worth the extra money over the Magicshine is up to you.
    I suggest you contact Jim at Action LED. He probably has seen all these lights working and should be able to give you good estimated run times on the lighthead/battery combinations you are looking at.
    The only other Light I think yuou should check out is the Gloworm X2. They have a trade-in program which ends in 2 days for 20% off + free shipping which would bring the cost down to less than $170 so combined with a MS808e it would be slightly over your budget. From what I've read on MTBR the customer satisfaction on this light is very high and I think it would a considerable upgrade over either the 816 or 872. Maybe someone who ownes a Gloworm will see this and post some information for you.
    Mole

mtbr member
    The P7s are more than bright enough. 2 of them with a wide-angle lens is a killer setup. I run 2 808s (P7) and am very happy. Don't think that you a dumb for not spending $15 more for a min. difference in brightness, save the $15 and get some tacos!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member

So what did you end up getting?

And what's the difference between the MJ-808 vs MJ-808E other than $10.00? I see that the 808E claims 1000 lumen, and the 808 only 900, but from the descriptions they both claim using: "The second generation of the light that forever changed the bike light market. Now with a high efficiency CREE XM-L LED"

Thanks.
    Last edited by Xtyling; 07-24-2012 at 11:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I ended up per MRMOLE suggestion with the gloworm x2. I'm quite new to bike riding and due to work and family, I can only ride at night. I ride on bike trails that pretty much are surrounded by trees and are pitch black. So I wanted a nice bright wide light when i'm riding alone. I decided to also order the Magicshine MJ-808E for the helmet as I wanted to see left and right and didn't want to depend only on the bar light.

While I did go over my top end budget, I'm very happy overall with the setup and actually for most of my rides, I can leave both lights on medium to increase battery life. I still have to play around with them and may swap the lights position.If you want to keep around $150, I would probably suggest (2) 808E with one on a wide angle lens. You will still have plenty of light. I did ride with each one separately before the combination so I have a pretty good feel of the limits of each light

I often ride with my cousin and he uses (2) Planet Bike Blaze lights and my single Magicshine even on medium is brighter than both of his lights combined.

As for price. Action Led offers 20% offer with a discount code found on his site

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The 808 uses a P7 led while the 808E uses a T6 led which is newer, slightly brighter and slightly more efficient.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
    So what did you end up getting?

And what's the difference between the MJ-808 vs MJ-808E other than $10.00? I see that the 808E claims 1000 lumen, and the 808 only 900, but from the descriptions they both claim using: "The second generation of the light that forever changed the bike light market. Now with a high efficiency CREE XM-L LED"

Thanks.
    Thanks for pointing out the error in our MJ-808 listing. Got to watch out for that copy and paste. It will get you in trouble.
    The MJ-808E with it's XM-L LED is about 10-15% brighter while using the same amount of energy. (the run time stays the same)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=ronf119;9531157]I ended up per MRMOLE suggestion with the gloworm x2. I'm quite new to bike riding and due to work and family, I can only ride at night. I ride on bike trails that pretty much are surrounded by trees and are pitch black. So I wanted a nice bright wide light when i'm riding alone. I decided to also order the Magicshine MJ-808E for the helmet as I wanted to see left and right and didn't want to depend only on the bar light.

Nice choice! I almost didn't point out the X2 since it put you over budget, but it was such a good deal. I guess you thought so too. Enjoy your lights.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the error in our MJ-808 listing. Got to watch out for that copy and paste. It will get you in trouble.
    The MJ-808E with it's XM-L LED is about 10-15% brighter while using the same amount of energy. (the run time stays the same)
    I thought so... good you made the correction. I just can't make up my mind...

mtbr member
    ....I ended up per MRMOLE suggestion with the gloworm x2. I'm quite new to bike riding and due to work and family, I can only ride at night. I ride on bike trails that pretty much are surrounded by trees and are pitch black. So I wanted a nice bright wide light when i'm riding alone. I decided to also order the Magicshine MJ-808E for the helmet as I wanted to see left and right and didn't want to depend only on the bar light. ...
    You won't be sorry. The two work very well together in combo. The first time I used the X2 with a 808E on the helmet I thought the combined output was out of this world. Like you said, you can easily run these lights on mid-mode and still have all the light you need for even longer extended riding ( if you're into that kind of thing. )

I think you might be under stating the differences. I would think it more like 20-25% more. With emitters set-up in this output range ( 600 to 750 lumen ) the difference between the P-7 C bin and XL-M T-6 is very, very noticeable. Of course a lot of that difference is not just because of the higher lumen output of the emitter but the beam pattern differences due to optical changes of the emitters themselves. Throw in better batteries , better drivers, better optics/reflectors, better heat sinking and changes can be significant.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 07-27-2012 at 03:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
    I thought so... good you made the correction. I just can't make up my mind...
    If the difficulty is trying to decide if $10 difference is worth it between the 808 and the 808e, I'd say yes. And technically, its $8 when you factor in the discount.

mtbr member
    I ride with guys who use the 808 XMLs and I have the P-7s, really, the difference isn't that great to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I ride with guys who use the 808 XMLs and I have the P-7s, really, the difference isn't that great to me.
    What's up TiGeo! Glad to hear someone still using the 808 P-7s. Nothing wrong with the P-7's. They still get the job done.

mtbr member
    My P-7s are stupid bright. Right now, action-led has 20% off Magicshine 808s (P-7s). You can get a 2 light set with a helmet mount delivered for ~$135. That is a great deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Damn this thread. I'm new to night riding but because of this thread I just purchased two Gloworm X2, two MJ808E, and two MJ828 tail lights for the wife and I. It just gets too hot to ride in the day with all these 100+ degree days. Now we have no excuse not to ride to the trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mds2004 View Post
    Damn this thread. I'm new to night riding but because of this thread I just purchased two Gloworm X2, two MJ808E, and two MJ828 tail lights for the wife and I. It just gets too hot to ride in the day with all these 100+ degree days. Now we have no excuse not to ride to the trails

almost same setup I went with. I ended up purchasing the serfas usl-tl60 for my taillight. I wanted a self contained unit and I like how I can charge with a usb cord

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When I first read this my thoughts were that it seems like a greater difference to my eyes (more like the P7 40 lux/xml 63 lux readings measured by mtbr), but after reading this several times it sounds more like your saying the xml produces 10-15% more light per unit of energy. Are you referring to overall light production of emitter effeciency?

Also I noticed some other poster's not being able to tell much difference between the
    P7 and xml where I can easily tell the difference (my 808e is brighter on the med setting than my P7 on high). Do you know if the new P7 Magicshine emitters are upgraded over my 2 year old lighthead? It may just be that I'm a light junkie and every little improvement is a big deal to me. Last Friday I did a P7 ride (808 helmet, Titan with wide angle lens bar), and even with my bad eyes I had no problem doing single trak with this setup.

Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey guys, I'm also in the market for a light set up. I'm looking at the gemini Titan P7 with wide angle lens for my handle bar set up. But still looking around for a helmet light. What do you think of this for a helmet light? Lezyne LED Macro Drive Lights 100098782 at CambriaBike.com

Do you guys use lights with external battery packs for your helmet? I'm thinking a self contained helmet light would be best.

I went on my first night ride last weekend. 2 of my friends had a Titan P7 on their bars, and a self contained light on their helmets. All I can say is wow, they were lighting up the way no problem! We rode 10 miles in about 2 hours. One the most entertaining rides I've been on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    could anyone please tell me if this Titan P7 is a thrower, or a flood light. It would be my 1st light, I prefer flood. It is 4 modes? About 750 lumens? 4 hour runtime. Anyone sell me on this light, please?

thanks!

patrick

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    As for price. Action Led offers 20% offer with a discount code found on his site

is this expired, or still available? thanks...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by saypat View Post

is this expired, or still available? thanks...
    I was just looking for this also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast