Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gemini Titan P7

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by saypat View Post
    As for price. Action Led offers 20% offer with a discount code found on his site

is this expired, or still available? thanks...
    Unfortunately that discount expired 8/31. It was a great deal for the current Gemini models but never applied to the P-7 closeout.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2011
    could anyone please tell me if this Titan P7 is a thrower, or a flood light. It would be my 1st light, I prefer flood. It is 4 modes? About 750 lumens? 4 hour runtime. Anyone sell me on this light, please?

thanks!

patrick
    While the Titan has a wider beam than a Magicshine 808/808e I would still consider it a thrower. For 4 dollars you can add a action wide angle lens which gives it a nice flood pattern without cutting down the throw or brightness much (this is how I run mine). 4 modes, yes, l-m-h + flash, non adsjustable. 750 lumens, like every other light thats an exagerated claim. This is one of the more powerful P-7 lights but probably more like 5-600 actual lumens. 4 hour runtime on high - yes. I'm not going to try to sell you on the Titan without knowing a little more on how you plan to use the light. I will say that even though I have newer more powerfull lights unless I'm going offroad this is usually the light I run for every day use. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Titan P7?

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    While the Titan has a wider beam than a Magicshine 808/808e I would still consider it a thrower. For 4 dollars you can add a action wide angle lens which gives it a nice flood pattern without cutting down the throw or brightness much (this is how I run mine). 4 modes, yes, l-m-h + flash, non adsjustable. 750 lumens, like every other light thats an exagerated claim. This is one of the more powerful P-7 lights but probably more like 5-600 actual lumens. 4 hour runtime on high - yes. I'm not going to try to sell you on the Titan without knowing a little more on how you plan to use the light. I will say that even though I have newer more powerfull lights unless I'm going offroad this is usually the light I run for every day use. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Mole
    thank you sir for your reply, very informative. I am a flashaholic and just love lights! This is a great entry light I feel, although Im considering the Gloworm X2 as I like quality, and I like to play with lots of modes ") The light is rated at 900 lumens and u estimate 500-600? That's discouraging to me. I was reading that maybe 'we' can subtract %25 off the top of rated lumens to get a more accurate number? I don't know. Maybe u are estimating after installing the flood lens?
    I have considered the good deal on the 808E as well. I have also considered buying the head only of the MJ-872 for $40 off Ebay and then purchasing a battery and charger. Total cost that way about <$90. But this light is way bright at 1600 lumens and not sure I could use it here in the city without people throwing garbage at me. Still, it's a steal! So many choices. And now those Xeccons!

thanks again and hope others chime in as well...

patrick

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Patrick,
    Now that I have a litle more information I feel a little better about making a recomendation. I've seen power measurements (in LUX instead of lumens) on all the lights you mentioned with the exception of the Titan which I estimated.

Titan P-7 50 lux (estimated)

MS 808e 62 lux

MS 872 105 lux

Gloworm 126 lux

The one situation where I don't think the Titan would be adequate would be city riding, where it might not make enough power to be visable to other drivers in a sea of car lights. I really think you should get the Gloworm. I know it makes more power than the 872 but from what I've read the top spill on this light is very well controlled so you can use more power (and be more visable) without having things thrown at you.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi Mole. Thanks again. I tried to find a lux to lumen conversion program but that is another story, I'll just take your word for it. Yes, the Gloworm is appealing but at twice the price of the others and then some. Just buying one of everything would be a solution. I was attempting that with flashlights ") What is it with LIGHT anyway?
    I'll find, and purchase, something soon as the research is dogging me. I need to play. If I could have gotten the Gloworm at the pre-order price I wouldn't have a dilemma. Thanks again for all your help Mole. Question for ya: who is the king of the single XM-L spot light challenge?

whoops, I cannot post the link to the answer as i don't have 10 posts yet....

patrick

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have the 808e and just ordered the Titan P7 as a second light. I went with the titan over another magicshine due to the longer run time. I don't have the Titan in yet to compare, but the 808e puts out plenty of light as a single source for the trails I ride. Coming from an older Jet HID - I have to say technology is amazing. Same amount of light, same run time, 1/3 weight, 1/4 the price.

I ordered from Action-Led-Lights.com and they were excellent. Both orders shipped within an hour or 2 of me placing the order, and the price was great.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I tried to find a lux to lumen conversion program but that is another story, I'll just take your word for it.
    There is no conversion factor of Lux to Lumen, they are measuring two different light characteristics. Lux is light per unit of area, Lumen is total output of a light source. ie. a 500 Lumen spotlight will have a higher Lux value than a 1000 Lumen flood light.

Lumen or Lux values, by their self, are no enough measure of the beam quality quality or useability of a light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    I have the 808e and just ordered the Titan P7 as a second light. I went with the titan over another magicshine due to the longer run time. I don't have the Titan in yet to compare, but the 808e puts out plenty of light as a single source for the trails I ride. Coming from an older Jet HID - I have to say technology is amazing. Same amount of light, same run time, 1/3 weight, 1/4 the price.

I ordered from Action-Led-Lights.com and they were excellent. Both orders shipped within an hour or 2 of me placing the order, and the price was great.
    Please let us know about your Titan when u receive it and compare with the Magicshine.

I have been very happy with my communications with Jim at Action-Led and would be happy to buy from him...

patrick

can someone tell me what percentage the H, M, and L modes are at? Or the M, and L anyway? Thanks.
    Last edited by saypat; 09-05-2012 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Gemini came in today - again amazing shipping speed from action-led-lights. Brief observations after playing with it around the neigborhood.

- brightness is very much comparable to the 808e. There may be a measurable difference, but on the bike it's not very noticable to me. Both are plenty bright to use as a single light source on the singletrack I ride.

- the gemini produces a whiter light compared to the 808e - which is a bit more yellow. The beam pattern seems to be a bit more consistent on the gemini, but not a major difference.

-I'd give build quality edge to the 808e. Both lights seem to have similar construction. The 808e's wiring feels a bit thicker and the battery is better encased. The gemini's mount has a very slight amount of side to side play(mount to light - not mount to bar). I checked the screw holding the mount and it's tight. Doesn't seem to affect use - but the same issue doesn't exist on the 808e.

- the controls on the magicshine make more sense to me. It turns on in 'high' and you can turn it off by holding the button for 2 seconds. The gemini turns on in low - you have to cycle to get to 'high' - which is what I'd always use. To turn it off, you have to hold the button to get to the 'strobe' setting, let it strobe a couple of times and then it turns off.

- Gemini's helmet mount is more compact, and 'flares' at the bottom - which makes it more stable than the magicshine as it holds the o-ring better.

so basically, it's a toss up. If you want a whiter light with longer run times and a better helmet mount, get the gemini. If you want a more neutral light with more sensible controls, get the magicshine. Or get both like I did
    Last edited by TechniKal; 09-06-2012 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey TechniKal, thanks for this. It really helps me out. Add some pics and or a video and you'ld be in business ") I think you did right in getting both of them, I can't decide. Did you know Jim offers a remote with the 808E? I would like that.

thanks again,
    patrick

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the review and comparison.

Looks like the 808E is on sale at Action Led and is similarly priced to the Gemini Titan P7. What concerns me is the slight side to side play on the Titan. I will be riding rocky trails at night so a very stable light is ideal. But, I will have a helmet light and handle bar light, so I don't think the slight play will be a deal breaker when considering the Titan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'll try to take some photos tonight to compare beams.

On the mount play - it's something you could eliminate with a bit of tinkering, but I haven't messed with it yet. I want to try it on the trail first and see if it's an issue. If it is, I'll probably look to exchange the gemini for another magicshine. I really like the idea of longer run time, but there's not enough difference in the lights otherwise to deal with any issues.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I checked my Titan and it has a little play also. It looks like all it will require is a thin washer or shim. I've had this light for a couple of months and I can't say I've ever noticed any movement while riding but the next time I'm out with it I'll pay closer attention and see if I can detect any movement.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry - no chance to pull out the camera equipment for photos tonight - but I was able to get in a decent trail ride. I ran the 808e on my helmet and the gemini on my bar (using the wide angle lense).

I bought my first bike light in 1998 - a 10w halogen Performance house brand that had about a 75 minute runtime. This is the first time I've ridden with 2 quality lights, though. All I can say is 'wow'. I was able to aim the bar light low to light up directly in front of me, and the helmet light was set up a few degrees higher than usual, which provided better view down the trail. It was awesome. I didn't think a bar light would make that much of a difference.

I did not notice any mount movement during the ride. I was concerned that I'd be bothered by the different light tints, but it wasn't really noticable on the trail. I'll experiement and try the gemini on the helmet with the 808e on the bars later this week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I unscrewed the mount from the lighthead, added a small washer between the mount and lighthead and screwed it back together, no more play. 30 sec fix!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Some pics. Not the best place to test a light, but the objective is to show how similar the lights are. I think you can find more trail appropriate beam shots for both lights elsewhere on this site.

The lights are ~ 20 feet from the garage door in the beam photos. Magicshine on the right, Gemini on the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemini Titan P7-dsc_0531.jpg  

Gemini Titan P7-dsc_0532.jpg  

Gemini Titan P7-dsc_0533.jpg  

Gemini Titan P7-dsc_0535.jpg  

Gemini Titan P7-dsc_0536.jpg  

Gemini Titan P7-dsc_0537.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think I'll keep my setup as is. It gives me an option for a slightly brighter light, and an option for longer run time.

The biggest complaint I have on the magicshine is the front exiting cable. The biggest complaint on the Gemini is the controls are illogical. Otherwise they are pretty much the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    THANKS Technikal! Are the settings on the last (2) pictures on 'high'? And does the Gemini in the last picture have the wide angle lens in it (sure looks like it). Or is the Gemini more of a flood anyway? Appreciate this. I prefer the beam and tint of the Gemini and these are just as u described earlier in your description. I'm thinking of going with the Gloworm ")

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    All photos are using the same setting, and the lights are all in high. I took the wide angle lens out for the compare - it's using the normal spot lens.

mtbr member
    Here's a few thoughts for those comparing the 808E and Gemini P7:

I just went for my first ride last night with two Magicshine 808E's and couldn't be happier. One on the bar with wide angle and remote switch, one on the head with tail switch.

I mounted one on the Gemini headband and used a climbing helmet. This is a much nicer headband than the one I got with the 808E, as it's thicker and has a mounting area for the battery. (I'm using a 2 cell battery here, to keep the weight down). A good headband was important, as I want to use this system in the winter for skiing.

I will also say the light button cycles are perfect, and far better than the old 808 or the P7. (I don't want anything to do with the strobe setting for normal use.)

My experience with Action-LED was also excellent. In fact, I ordered these on labor day as a reward for working on labor day. I wasn't the only one working on labor day--Action LED packed and put it in the USPS system that day!

Now, all I can think of is planning my next night ride.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ended up with 2 Geminis. I use the wide angle lens on the bar mount and normal lens on the helmet. On singletrack around here, it's hard to imagine needing more light. The bar light provides a 20' wide swath for everything directly in front of me. The helmet light provides great light as far down the trail as I'm looking. It's rare to have more than 50' or so of trail before a turn or elevation change around here, so having much more light that this would be a waste of battery.
    Last edited by TechniKal; 09-16-2012 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I picked up another Titan closeout last week so I no longer have to use the geoman battery with my newer Gemini lights. I haven't got a chance to try the two titans together on the trail yet but I did a couple of canal rides with both on the bars (1 spot + 1 w/wide angle lens) and I liked this set-up. I ran the flood on med and the spot on high which gave me an excellent smooth beam out to the max throw of the lights. Even the unusual beam power sequence worked well for this application since I could cut the power for oncoming traffic from high to low on the spot with only one punch on the button and the top spill of the wide angle lens equiped light is so controlled you shouldn't offend other cyclists or pedestrians. I used the 4 cell battery with a Y-cable and it provided more than enough run time for my typical 20-30 mile after work rides only changing color for the last couple of miles. The only thing I don't think I'll ever get used to is having to cycle through the flash mode to turn the light off.
    Mole

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2