mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Gemini Olympia, Magic Shine MJ 872 and Lumintrek tb 3000

Question for those of you who have both the MJ 872 and the Gemini Olympia...is there much difference between the two. I read that they are both floods. Is the light output similar?

Also, has anyone tried the Lumintrek Trailblazer 3000. It says 3000 lumens, which I find doubtful. Still at $200... if it has half it's reported output, that's not bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rixsurfer View Post
    Question for those of you who have both the MJ 872 and the Gemini Olympia...is there much difference between the two. I read that they are both floods. Is the light output similar?

Also, has anyone tried the Lumintrek Trailblazer 3000. It says 3000 lumens, which I find doubtful. Still at $200... if it has half it's reported output, that's not bad.

I have them both and hands down the Olympia smokes the 872 Brighter, lighter, and doesn't get so hot ...
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So is there a huge difference in brightness? The 872 is 1600 lumens vs. the Olympia's 1800. I would think that 200 lumens would be barely noticeable.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rixsurfer View Post
    So is there a huge difference in brightness? The 872 is 1600 lumens vs. the Olympia's 1800. I would think that 200 lumens would be barely noticeable.
    You are assuming that the numbers claimed by both these lights are actually correct. The difference in reality could be much more than 200 lumens. Also beam pattern between the 2 can make a big difference in which one is better.

Lumen ratings is only one partin judging the effectiveness or a light. Other factors mustbe considered.

mtbr member
    The MJ-872 and the Olympia are both great lights, but the Olympia is brighter and throws further. A lot of that has to do with the reflector being used on the Olympia, and the lack of one on the MJ-872. The actual output of the MJ-872 is closer to 1300 lumens, but even with that it makes a great bar light. Due to the lack of throw I wouldn't put it on the helmet.

The only part about the Olympia that I don't like is the price. On Action-LED the Olympia kit is $270, compared to the MJ-872 at $125. I'm just not sure that the Olympia is $145 brighter or better. If it were me I'd rather buy the Gemini Duo, which is brand new but shows a lot of promise. And that kit is a bit better price-wise at $210 for the kit.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The MJ-872 is 1050 Lumens with the new clear optics and about 960 with the old frosted optics. The Olympia is about 1500 OTF Lumens.

I Still have the 872, i pair it with a XML Torch on Bars for a great bar setup.

I do have a Triple XML Torch and this really does blow the 872 away so olympia will almost surely do the same.

Are you aware of the Fluxient 3 x XML U2 Light. Im tempted, but i know as soon as i get it a 4 or 5 x XML will come out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I second what everyone elae has said. I originally was using the mj 816 on the bars. I actually preferred that over the 872 that i bought as it ran cooler and seemed to have a similar output. I ended up with the olympia and the runtime is better, it runs cooler and it is basically like a better overall version of the 872. The 872 just did not have the runtime and efficiency i hoped for even though it is a good light

mtbr member
    I have a 856b (same as the 872, but better heat sinking since the 872 has some overheating issues - the b model works with the same O-ring while the regular 856 comes with a different clamp on mount for the bar) and the Olympia. A very good light, and a huge step up from the older Niterider's I had before. The Olympia however is a superior light. It's much smaller, cast a clearer and even wider flood beam with a bit more reach. If price is your main concern, go with the 872. If you want more run time and adjustable output levels (the programmable output modes of the Gemini lights are awesome) with better overall quality at a higher price, the Olympia is the way to go. If your current light has less than 500 (real) lumens, I would say the step up to the 872/856 would be very noticeable. The step up from there to the Olympia is not as dramatic, but I think it's worth it.

Just remember with a pure flood you will run out of light on faster trails, descents or on the road. They are more for slower, twisting singletrack. I've loved my 856b since I started using it, but now I want something with more reach while still providing some flood for the twisties. The new dual side-by-side XML driven lights provide that. I can definitely recommend the Gemini DUO or the Gloworm X2 (v2).