Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Gemini Olympia 2100 Xm-L2

Anyone have the new Gemini?
    They look interesting with big numbers from a pretty honest vendor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Anyone have the new Gemini?
    They look interesting with big numbers from a pretty honest vendor.
    Not the newest version but I have two (2013) Olympia's and they are awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Think the 2014 model is worth an extra $50 over last years model? Is it truly 300 lumens brighter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
    Think the 2014 model is worth an extra $50 over last years model? Is it truly 300 lumens brighter?
    No. Run an Olympia and a duo and you'll have a killer set up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    IMO as a bar light I see little advantage to the additional lumens (I own 2 of the XML T6 version Olympia's and prefer them set @ 80%). Where I do see an advantage with the new lights more efficient emitter is lower running temp. (I live in the desert) and increased run time. (big advantage if you run a 4 cell battery). Run as a helmet light I usually use full power so I'm guessing I'd like more lumens but probably not as much as a narrower focused optic. All that considered it's not worth an upgrade to me but if it were a choice on a new purchase I'd definitely get the newest version.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Last years model is a very good product and plenty of lumens. That been said last years lumen claims were quite overstated by Gemini. My Duo had claimed 1400 lumens when in fact it was measured just under 1100, same with the Olympia who's 1800 lumen claims measured out well under 1500 on MTBR's 2013 light shootout. Gemini however this year I saw on a website a few weeks back are making claims that this years lumen claims are based on measured outputs and have sent Francois their products for testing. If proven to be true claims the extra money in my opinion is well worth it as the output gains will be significant.

mtbr member
    Though I don't own a Gemini lamp I think getting an lamp with upgraded LED's is only important if ONE; you are a total light geek and just want the brightest output and TWO; You are into endurance events where the extra output at lower levels comes into play.

Both the Gemini's and the new Gloworm's have programmable mode levels. I plan on testing the efficiency of the new XM-L2 ( U2 ) by comparing the previous GW to the new version. I already know the new version is brighter. Now I want to know how much more efficient the lamp is when run on the lower levels. I will be testing the standard low settings using a two cell. I figure the increase in efficiency will either translate one of two ways; either the new lamp will be slightly brighter and run about the same time OR output will be about the same for both lamps BUT run time on the newer lamp will be a bit longer. Should make for an interesting test. As in all tests involving "run time" it will take some time so likely I will do it over the weekend...maybe.

Would be nice if someone else could do the same thing with the Gemini's Duo or Olympia's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for your input, Cat.
    I am looking for a good strong bar light...maybe...to replace my 3x XML clone( which has been great)>
    If the light from the new Gemini is that much better...it would be worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Though I don't own a Gemini lamp I think getting an lamp with upgraded LED's is only important if ONE; you are a total light geek and just want the brightest output and TWO; You are into endurance events where the extra output at lower levels comes into play.

Both the Gemini's and the new Gloworm's have programmable mode levels. I plan on testing the efficiency of the new XM-L2 ( U2 ) by comparing the previous GW to the new version. I already know the new version is brighter. Now I want to know how much more efficient the lamp is when run on the lower levels. I will be testing the standard low settings using a two cell. I figure the increase in efficiency will either translate one of two ways; either the new lamp will be slightly brighter and run about the same time OR output will be about the same for both lamps BUT run time on the newer lamp will be a bit longer. Should make for an interesting test. As in all tests involving "run time" it will take some time so likely I will do it over the weekend...maybe.

Would be nice if someone else could do the same thing with the Gemini's Duo or Olympia's.
    Well Cat you hit the nail on the head with me for sure as I am a light geek!! But you did touch on a couple of important issues that lumens aside I really would like to se in my set up, and all systems in the future.

- Enough led efficiency that I could get the output I have now and run times, while stepping down a size in battery capacity reducing overall weight on my two set ups.

- Cooler running leds so that I could also achieve the higher outputs while needing less airflow to keep the lamp heads cool based on same ambient temperature.

I do have poor night vision despite been a light geek so yes i'm guilty of dwelling on lumens however lumens are useless if their not delivered with quality in beam shaping and features such as UI and build.

I'm really looking forward to your tests results Cat-man-do and hope they show a significant improvement in efficiency with the new XM-L2's. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    -
    I do have poor night vision despite been a light geek so yes i'm guilty of dwelling on lumens however lumens are useless if their not delivered with quality in beam shaping and features such as UI and build.
    !
    I'm in the same boat....bad night vision.
    And as amazing...and cheap...as these clones are...I always want more light.
    As happy as I am with the 3x clone....if the new Gemini ( or any light) is that much brighter...I would buy it

mtbr member
    ....I'm really looking forward to your tests results Cat-man-do and hope they show a significant improvement in efficiency with the new XM-L2's. Cheers!!
    Here's a quick comparison of the two factory *sub-low modes ( *press and hold special low mode ) ( ~@1.5M )

470 lux vs 570 lux
    . The v3 is noticeably brighter. Likely there will not be much difference in run time BUT...that remains to be seen.

When I finish the full test I will transfer the information over to the current thread on the Gloworm X2 v3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's approx. 20% difference if drawing same current. Very impressive, thanx!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What's going on with Gemini??? I see on the 2014 light shout out that the NEW Olympia despite it's 2100 lumen claims and new XM-L2 emitters has no measured improvement over last years model, this doesn't seem right and wonder if the light may have stepped down before the measurement was taken. The duo is only up marginally as well to 1208 lumens despite it's 1500 lumen claim. I'll have to mention it on the shoot out thread and maybe see if Francois can re measure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What's going on with Gemini??? I see on the 2014 light shout out that the NEW Olympia despite it's 2100 lumen claims and new XM-L2 emitters has no measured improvement over last years model, this doesn't seem right and wonder if the light may have stepped down before the measurement was taken. The duo is only up marginally as well to 1208 lumens despite it's 1500 lumen claim. I'll have to mention it on the shoot out thread and maybe see if Francois can re measure.
    link?

mtbr member
    link?
    Yes Please.

mtbr member
    May 2007

mtbr member
    Thanks, didn't know the did a new shootout. WoW lux is only up 12.

mtbr member
    2013 Olympia tunnel shot

2014 Olympia tunnel shot

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's hard to believe those photos are with the same settings with only 12 measured lumens separating the two. Sure makes the 2014 Olympia look well worth the upgrade despite the lumen claims. Beam pattern looks wide and even as well with good punch.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    doesn't look much different here

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's hard to believe those photos are with the same settings with only 12 measured lumens separating the two. Sure makes the 2014 Olympia look well worth the upgrade despite the lumen claims. Beam pattern looks wide and even as well with good punch.
    Sometimes....you have to look past the numbers.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Sometimes....you have to look past the numbers.
    the graph above disagrees. Looks like there are a few more lumens at the spot, but nothing anywhere else.

mtbr member
    I think most will agree with you the lumen count doesn't match the beamshot here. Something is amiss and I am sure Chris will be asking for a re-test. Not saying this is the case but if I had to guess and this is plain conjecture, I suspect the beamshot was taken first on Hi setting @ 100%. Between then and the sphere test Gemini's 10% incremental/decremental mode was accidently activated. The reading could be 70% of its actual Hi.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    I think most will agree with you the lumen count doesn't match the beamshot here. The reading could be 70% of its actual Hi.
    Agreed, and was ready to pull the trigger on a 2013, however if these photos are actually true, well guess what.

mtbr member
    Something isn't adding up. Just by going off the tunnel shots, the 2014 blows the 2013 version away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast