Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Something isn't adding up. Just by going off the tunnel shots, the 2014 blows the 2013 version away.
    I would take the 2013 to 2014 pictures with a grain of salt. if you look at the L&M TAZ 1200, same light from 2013 to 2014 they also look vastly different. I would only compare pictures from the same year, too many variables when looking at two years pictures.

check out the Taz 1200
    Old: http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/u...-Taz-12002.jpg
    New: http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/u...M-Taz-1200.jpg

mtbr member
    Maybe the "whiter" new led?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Maybe the "whiter" new led?
    or white balance of camera. I feel it's pretty unlikely that ALL the 2014 lights now dramatically whiter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Sometimes....you have to look past the numbers.
    Your right there,,,,,, and I do. However I kind of use measured lumens as the foundation of what i'm looking for, kind of like brake horsepower in a muscle car. Power or lumens only take you so far though,,,, you must have good delivery of the lumens, smooth&braud, with good punch. A good UI with the programmability that best suits the user. And for me build quality, as for where I ride and often solo I want the best chance I can get that my lights are going to get me home safe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Your right there,,,,,, and I do. However I kind of use measured lumens as the foundation of what i'm looking for, kind of like brake horsepower in a muscle car. Power or lumens only take you so far though,,,, you must have good delivery of the lumens, smooth & broad, with good punch. A good UI with the programmability that best suits the user. And for me build quality, as for were I ride and often solo I want the best chance I can get that my lights are going to get me home safe.
    Well said, so what are you using (that has all those qualities)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll keep this short as I don't want to hijack this thread. I use two Betty-R-12's.

mtbr member
    I'll keep this short as I don't want to hijack this thread. I use two Betty-R-12's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Will you adopt me?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That oughta do it!

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Will you adopt me?
    Remember his name is "indebt"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    LOL!! With the evolution of lights over the past few years you can now get crazy good set ups for lots less money than what I spent. I mean,,,, a pair of Olympia's are light weight very bright with the features I look for,, and the reliability of Chinese made lights if good quality control is managed can be quite good as is been proven by many brands.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Overstating lumens is dumb. Previous generation Gemini lights were overstated by:

Olympia: 18.5%
    Duo: 22.1%
    Xera: 18.1%

The new ones are overstated by:

Olympia: 29.7%
    Duo: 19.5%
    Xera: 16.9%

So, spending a lot on a new Olympia might not be a good idea since it only puts out 0.7% more lumens than the previous model (7.8% more lux - 141 versus 153).

The Xera is now the least overstated, claimed-lumen Gemini light at 16.9%. It also puts out more lumens/lux percentage wise versus the previous model: 11.8%/10% more lumens/lux.

I like my Gemini lights but wish they were more honest in their lumen claims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm still perplexed by the Olympia's numbers and still believe something is up, I mean not getting even 500 lumens a piece out of the new XM-L2's is crazy. It's got to be that for what ever the reason the light was not operating at 100% output.

I'm with you too TCW that especially after over stating last years claims, i'm disappointed with the continuance from Gemini. I still really like their products though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the 2100 (over 6 night rides) and I like how it comes with the head band and mounts, it is nicely put together package but it's not putting out 2100 lumen that's for sure. I just don't like the beam I guess, it's not working for my eyes at all. I have a Baja Designs Strkr 2 on the bars also. The Olympia is not more than twice as bright as the Strykr.

I'm going to just spend some more for the Seca 2000 or Wilma 7 or 10 and give the Olympia 2100 to my son for a re-gift.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry to hear your not happy with the new Olympia dirt-nerd. As for perception of brightness with any light upgrade, I had read some posts on this forum that for our eyes to perceive double the brightness you would need up to four times the actual lumens. That been said I hope Gemini chimes in on the results of the new Olympia. This is a $300 light and unless for what ever the reason the output doesn't measure much closer to their claims regardless if it is in need of a driver upgrade or whatever they may end up with a bust for this year and potential lost sales in the future as Gemini may loose the trust of some potential customers. I do like their products so I hope they resolve the discrepancy's.

The L&M or Wilma however are a whole new animal and regardless of your choice should be very happy with one of those products. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear your not happy with the new Olympia dirt-nerd. As for perception of brightness with any light upgrade, I had read some posts on this forum that for our eyes to perceive double the brightness you would need up to four times the actual lumens. That been said I hope Gemini chimes in on the results of the new Olympia. This is a $300 light and unless for what ever the reason the output doesn't measure much closer to their claims regardless if it is in need of a driver upgrade or whatever they may end up with a bust for this year and potential lost sales in the future as Gemini may loose the trust of some potential customers. I do like their products so I hope they resolve the discrepancy's.

The L&M or Wilma however are a whole new animal and regardless of your choice should be very happy with one of those products. Good luck!!
    Well said

I am very happy with my 2013 Gemini light but I will start looking into Lupine especially the Wilma.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It wouldn't surprise me if this years Wilma turns out to be one of Francois's favorite lighting systems. It is a beast!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Did you notice that Lupine was the only other brand that had overstated claimed lumens for each of their lights? By a lesser amount than Gemini, but still. 2 of the 6 Lezynes were overstated, and 2 of 7 NiteRiders were also overstated. That's assuming the measurement process is 100 percent accurate, and that the claims are for the minimum to expect with sample variation, rather than average.

No Olympia content, but I love my new Duo 1500 anyway. I don't do 2 light setups because I'm often running, skiing, etc as much as biking. For my uses as single light on the headband, it has the best beam shape/quality for me. That's judged by the beamshot photos on the mtbr shootout, Action LED's new graphs of lux vs. angle from center, and how happy I am with the actual beam in use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes I noticed and am quite surprised considering how bang on Lupine's claims were last year. I think if claims were within a couple percent we would all be forgiving as a margin of error but as you mention there are some that have understated their claims as well by quite a margin.

I have last years Duo so I understand what it is you like about yours. It's a very nice set-up for sure and versatile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt-nerd View Post
    I have the 2100 (over 6 night rides) and I like how it comes with the head band and mounts, it is nicely put together package but it's not putting out 2100 lumen that's for sure. I just don't like the beam I guess, it's not working for my eyes at all. I have a Baja Designs Strkr 2 on the bars also. The Olympia is not more than twice as bright as the Strykr.

I'm going to just spend some more for the Seca 2000 or Wilma 7 or 10 and give the Olympia 2100 to my son for a re-gift.
    Not everyone is going to like the output from the XM-L2 ( T-6 ) LED's particularly when used with optics. Should still be brighter than the previous Olympia model just not as noticeable due to the warmer beam tint. Personally I don't own one but I would think it would be a great bar lamp.

Gemini should of waited for the availability of the XM-L2 ( U2's ). If they did I don't think people would of been questioning the brightness of the lamp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Gemini Olympia 2100 Xm-L2

Thanks, that makes sense. I still think it's a great package, my bad eyes are going to need more light than I thought this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I know all about bad eyes,,,, I have poor night vision and guess it's my fifty year old eyes catching up to me.

On the choices of L&M or the Wilma,, I haven't seen the L&M beam in person but consensus is it has the best beam in the business, that been said the Wilma's beam is no slouch and has an extra 100 lux output over the Seca 2000. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I used to run an L&M Seca 1700 on the bar and I can tell you from experience that it has a nearly-perfect beam pattern (as demonstrated by the mtbr tunnel beam shot). However, due to the fact that I have impaired night vision, the throw was insufficient on fast, technical downhills. Two improvements that would make the Seca the ultimate bar light: (1) Significant increase in throw; (2) Remote control (dimming the light quickly for other trail users is difficult and dangerous at speed, particularly on rough sections).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ended up ordering a 2013 Olympia, They are $215 (20% off) minus another 10% at action LED. That's $75 to another light. I considered a Seca and I get a pretty good deal on them through my shop, but they're too big, expensive and proprietary battery cable.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just read the review of this light and the photo shows the box for a 1700 lumen Olympia. I'm wondering if this would explain lack of output. Seems like a major detail to overlook, but who knows?

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Action LED should consider changing these statements:

"A triple CREE XM-L2 LED Light with 2100 lumens of actual output..."

"NEW for 2014, is the DUO LED Light System. Gram-for-gram, it is one of the brightest lights of the year delivering a staggering 1500 lumens and weighing only 63g for the Light Head...."

"With an output of 950 lumens (actual), you can be sure the XERA LED Light System will provide ample light for most uses...."

Can't figure why I'm this way but I like honesty. I must be a weirdo or something.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast